[TRON] Oh...my

Posted by replicantgirl 
MSW
gingaio Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just want to know if this guy likes the movie.
> Because he's my gold standard. Pic courtesy of
> Camel-Toe Centerfolds.

Um...

[www.wired.com]
MattAlt (Admin)
It is the "Zardoz" of the early 21st century. And I mean that as a compliment. At turns cockamamy psuedo-philosopichal, atsy-fartsy and high concept. But this was my first 3-D film and man, did I find the effect really pointless and even a little headache-inducing. I am really looking forward to seeing it again sans 3-D on my home system whenever the Blu-Ray comes out.

(The theater was near-empty, too.... Bad sign for box office sales?)
MattAlt Wrote:

>
> (The theater was near-empty, too.... Bad sign for
> box office sales?)

Matt, you may live in Japan, but clearly you do not understand their culture. An empty theater is the utmost sign of honour and respect.
We saw T:L in 3D iMax last night.
It was solid entertainment. The music was outstanding, the visuals were a logical and beautiful evolution of the first film. It is clearly a launching board for future films, and I can see some thought-provoking and entertaining adventures ahead.
The 3D was nice, but not essential. Seeing it on an iMax, though, is certainly worth it. Get ready to hurl during the light cycle scene.
It was much better than I had feared it would be.
Daft Punk needs recognition for the most engaging and entertaining score in years, causing the pedestal I place Vangelis on to topple precariously. It is that good.
Yes, there's clunky dialog. Yes, there's some briefly and incompletely explained background for a major character that is weirdly blatant pseudo-scientific mysticism casually referred to as "Bio Digital Jazz, man!". Yes, the movie doesn't satisfy the Bechdel test,
However, it is quite entertaining, and much, much better than the original.
Have to totally disagree with Rainbot on T:Legashtink. My apologies, but I reminisce romantically for the relative simplicity of the original.
I am not impressed with the evolution: 1-on-1 fight scenes that are Jackie Chan-cum-the Matrix-cum Mortal Kombat, even stiffer acting than the 1st, and a more complex, more convoluted storyline that assumes you have seen the original as well.
And no Sark!
I really feel the creators relied to heavily on the digital realm influence of the Matrix. As well, there is, in my opinion, both a visual and plot homage to SW Clone Wars at the end of Legacy. Such lack of stroyline creativity.
Still, yes, some of the visuals are breathtaking. I actually liked the lightcycle Gen 2 scenes, liked the reinterpretation of the Recognizers and solar sailors, but hated the Blade Runner cityscape and downtown scenes.
And yes, the music was good, although not as impressive as BR Vangelis'work or the original Tron theme by Wendy Pini.
I don't know. I just feel altogether ambivalent about Legacy. Such loyalty and longing for a decent sequal leaves we wanting. I feel embarrassed for Jeff Bridges and Bruce Boxleitner.
And in the end, yes, Olivia whatshername is quite alluring in the skin tight IsoSuit.
If you have a discount theater in your neighborhood, utilize it in say....3 to 4 weeks. Otherwise, watch the original Tron on a nice large screen, Bose sound system, and relish the technical limitations of the early to mid 80s that the real Tron made the most of....
Took my little brother to see it today, and we both loved it. I only finally saw Tron the first earlier this year, but I enjoyed it overall, while my brother knew nothing about Tron, so I was curious to see what he thought. The plot is a little murky towards the end, and I dint understand what it is trying to suggest, but it was soooo much fun the whole way through, and hit on all the right notes for me like the Matrix trilogy does (yes, I said trilogy). The aesthetic of the film really inspires, and the soundtrack is as good as everyone says. Worth paying for the most expensive version yOur theater offers at least once. I for one am hoping that Hot Toys will make a 1/6 13 figure.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
I'm going to vote in the RainBot camp. Wife and I watched the original Friday night, saw T:L on saturday.

Let's be clear - the first movie was neat, but you could level some of the same criticisms around the original as this - in fact, thematically, both my wife and I thought they paid very close homage to the original; down the the sort of abrupt post-climax ending. The new movie has many of the same beats.

If you haven't watched the original *recently* - like within the last 6 months, then MUST DO before the sequel. Many in-jokes, references, and "cameos" of things from the first film.

Like others have said, the music was AWESOME. The only thing I wish was there were some references back to the original theme... a few chords at the end would have been great.

Again, my expectations were modest. I like the first movie, but it was no star wars. Unlike Star Wars prequels, this sequel exceeded my expectations. It was certainly a sight better then the Matrix follow-ups...
MattAlt (Admin)
"Matt, you may live in Japan, but clearly you do not understand their culture"

Sorry, I wasn't clear -- I saw it in the States. But I don't understand their culture either, so it's probably a wash.
Oh, our theater was full up on a Sunday afternoon.

[prometheusrising.net]
The movie looked awesome, music and sound effects were fantastic, but the script was deficient, and I'll restrict my criticism to the main plot because it makes no sense: Clu has developed his own version of "the perfect society" and wants to bring it to the real world.

Well, what exactly is Clu's version of "perfection" vs. Flynn's? We saw that Clu killed the Isos, but why? What made them "imperfect" by his standards? What exactly did Flynn have in mind? They never show us these things, never explain them past a couple of vague lines of dialogue.

And what was Clu going to do once he got to the outside world? All of the rules are different: no light cycles, laser frisbees, etc. Rachael-- I mean, Quorra was just turned into a regular person. Why does he have to give his soldiers a rousing speech if they're already brainwashed?

And why was the movie named Tron when he has little more than a cameo appearance, and why was he renamed Rinzler, and if those data discs are so important why would you throw them at other people? (Okay, now I'm straying from the original plot so I'll stop.)

Thumbs down.
josh fraser (Moderator)
I have not seen it, don't give too many spoilers just yet. ;-)

[www.youtube.com]
Roger Wrote:
> The movie looked awesome, music and sound effects
> were fantastic, but the script was deficient, and
> I'll restrict my criticism to the main plot
> because it makes no sense: Clu has developed his
> own version of "the perfect society" and wants to
> bring it to the real world.
>
> Well, what exactly is Clu's version of
> "perfection" vs. Flynn's? We saw that Clu killed
> the Isos, but why? What made them "imperfect" by
> his standards? What exactly did Flynn have in
> mind? They never show us these things, never
> explain them past a couple of vague lines of
> dialogue.

Dude, it's all about Zen. Don't sweat the details.

Happy holidays, Ken-A
All I remember about the original is that the girlfriend bailed after 20 minutes and snuck into Indiana Jones next door.

I'll watch it on DVD at some point.
Not looking for high art, just some popcorn fun.
I enjoyed it, in spite of being really bored during pretty much all of the "talky bits." The visuals alone made it totally worth while for me, although I didn't think much of it was very "3D" looking. I could have seen seen it in regular D and been OK. It did look sweet in Imax though.

*** SPOILER ALERT - AVERT YOUR EYES, FRASER! ****

I really liked the Daft Punk cameo but man, they killed it by showing them not once, not twice, but what, three times? It would have been cool and subtle to have only shown them once, but to hit your over the head with it kind of killed the coolness of the cameo for me.

The best thing in the movie was the scene with the robotic girls in stripper heels giving young Flynn his new dudes, and that's because it featured robotic girls in stripper heels.

Oh yeah the new Recognizer was pretty bad ass too. Loved it.

The worst thing in the movie was the weird David Bowie-esque (???) guy, Zeus. Horrible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2010 10:26PM by Robaato D.
MattAlt (Admin)
"The worst thing in the movie was the weird David Bowie-esque (???) guy, Zeus. Horrible."

I wasn't exactly clear on the whole "bar for programs" thing. Was this supposed to represent what happens when programs exchange information with each other? So, like, every time I cut and paste text from one app to another, little glowing people are getting it on inside my computer?
I thought the bar sequence was awesome, and loved the Zeus character, but agree that, again, the implications of what we are being shown are murky at best. They were clearly trying to play off of the techno-punk ideas instilled in computer-fantasy by the Matrix, but all they could do was mimic the visual style... they had no idea WHY they were there. it gets very confusing when you consider 'what' all of the people we encounter inside the Grid are. Dudes in the bar very much feel or at least act like 'dudes', whereas the guys we encounter early on aboard the Recognizer are nothing more than computer functions with arms and legs.

I think what they are trying to get at is that the computer 'system' has developed under Flynn into a 'world' rather than a system, and more than just a single intelligence, but a species of techno-consciousnesses. The guys attending the games are clearly not in any way a part of the processing functions of the computer at that point, for example, unless I am totally missing the point of the games.

[prometheusrising.net]
Prometheum5 Wrote:
> I thought the bar sequence was awesome, and loved
> the Zeus character, but agree that, again, the
> implications of what we are being shown are murky
> at best. They were clearly trying to play off of
> the techno-punk ideas instilled in
> computer-fantasy by the Matrix, but all they could
> do was mimic the visual style... they had no idea
> WHY they were there. it gets very confusing when
> you consider 'what' all of the people we encounter
> inside the Grid are. Dudes in the bar very much
> feel or at least act like 'dudes', whereas the
> guys we encounter early on aboard the Recognizer
> are nothing more than computer functions with arms
> and legs.
>
> I think what they are trying to get at is that the
> computer 'system' has developed under Flynn into a
> 'world' rather than a system, and more than just a
> single intelligence, but a species of
> techno-consciousnesses. The guys attending the
> games are clearly not in any way a part of the
> processing functions of the computer at that
> point, for example, unless I am totally missing
> the point of the games.

I think this is exactly right. The first film was very explicit that what was going on was supposed to represent actual functions inside "the computer." Legacy strongly suggests that Flynn, Tron and Clu had somehow tapped into another realm entirely.

I don't think it's fair to say this film is derivative of the Matrix, though -- it's more appropriate to say they both reference their common ancestor, the first Tron. I was also far more impressed with the world created from scratch in Legacy than the "realistic" simulation of our world in the Matrix.

And I hated the bar scene. WTF were they thinking?

Happy holidays, Ken-A
kurukuru Wrote:
> though not as...the original
> Tron theme by Wendy Pini.

Wendy Carlos.

Also, you are now outed as an elfquest fan.
I'll get to seeing the movie in the next couple weekends, finally, but you guys blubbering about "Why this?" and "Why that?" need to get a copy of the comic novel "TRON- Betrayal" prequel story, and learn yerselves why the iso's are an issue, and other stuffs.
Caught with my elfpants down....
Yeah, because you know a movie is well-made when you have to see another movie AND read a comic book to understand it.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Hmmm...point. But like the more popular sci-fi films that evolve into serials, T:L should be enjoyable just as much as a stand alone story as a continuing element within a larger Tron canon. 'Should' being the elementary term, here. I agree with you: if T:L requires a lengthy explanation or preface, then it fails. If the chapter can function by itself AND manage to convince you to explore the rest of the Tron world, then it's succeeded. Alas, I feel T:L more failure than success. I am less inclined to pursue Tron as a universe. I am content to enjoy the original and leave it at that. And still no Sark!
How i can make a U-Turn ?
Yann Wrote:
> How i can make a U-Turn ?

Alt 239

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2010 09:05PM by Scopedog.
For the program who has everything, Hammacher has the street legal light cycle up for order:

[www.hammacher.com]

Anyone have a discount code?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer