Voltron Force by Mattel...and other signs of the apocalypse

Posted by Sanjeev 
Yeah, I too can attest that it takes them a while.

Mine had gotten lost in the mail, and it took them an exceedingly long time to deal with it. On the plus side, they just went with shipping me an entirely new one at no extra charge, so I can't say I'm exactly outraged by the result.
Oh that's okay then..
eitlobsaboo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It took Matty Collector exactly a week to get back
> to me about my missing Lance head and this is what
> they respond with:
>
> "Thank you for contacting the MattyCollector.com
> online store.
>
> We have contacted the shipper on your behalf for
> detailed information
> about your order. You should be contacted back
> within 72 hours with
> further information about your request. We
> appreciate your patience.
>
> *sigh*

I've been lucky enough to have no problems with any of my orders with them, but this seems like par for the course with them. There are any number of online retailers who could handle this a whole lot better. Why not contract with them to distribute the merchandise?

More serious than thou
Yeah seems like a whole lot of mess created for no reason..

Why are there 2 entities? Seems silly. If anything, don't confuse your customers and just give us a direct answer, not the ring around.

I wonder what the product run was like? In the hundreds? Thousands? It's obviously not anything in the scale of toys that hit the retail shelves.. So it puzzles me why quality control is so low.

Oh and I got another email today (not directly related to my problem but) which further confuses me:

"As a MattyCollector.com subscriber, we'd like to make sure you're aware of how to update the payment and address information for your subscription(s).

If you need to change your subscription information (credit card, shipping address, email) please call 1-877-GO-MATTY. Be sure to tell the agent you're changing your subscription information, not just your regular store account (they're separate). If you change your information in the My Account section at MattyCollector.com, your subscription information will NOT be updated! My Account is only for standard purchases made in the shop during the month, so you will need to change your information both there and at 1-877-GO-MATTY.

Thank you for being a valued MattyCollector.com subscriber - we appreciate your business!"

I don't need to change my details, but I'm confused as to why we'd have to do this.. We don't set up our account with the "agent".. The matty website does this for us.. WEIRD.

As I'm thinking about this, I can't help but wonder: Do we have to UNsubscribe once all the lions/pilots have been delivered? Or does it automatically end.. I guess there's no news of any new releases like their other lines..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2012 05:47AM by eitlobsaboo.
fujikuro Wrote:
> eitlobsaboo Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It took Matty Collector exactly a week to get
> back
> > to me about my missing Lance head and this is
> what
> > they respond with:
> >
> > "Thank you for contacting the
> MattyCollector.com
> > online store.
> >
> > We have contacted the shipper on your behalf
> for
> > detailed information
> > about your order. You should be contacted back
> > within 72 hours with
> > further information about your request. We
> > appreciate your patience.
> >
> > *sigh*
>
> I've been lucky enough to have no problems with
> any of my orders with them, but this seems like
> par for the course with them. There are any
> number of online retailers who could handle this a
> whole lot better. Why not contract with them to
> distribute the merchandise?

Because Digital River... I don't know what the hell. I can only assume that they lowballed a turnkey fulfillment operation (that may or may not have involved under the table kickbacks to someone, just saying) because Mattel management must feel this whole internet thing is a passing fad and it's not worthwhile to invest the capital in creating a permanent ordering/warehousing/shipping department. Seems to me such a thing turns out to be cost effective because you don't get hit with hidden additional costs like CLEANING UP THE MESSES OF OTHERS and such like.

But Digital River doesn't even ship direct, they outsource THAT to some bulk mailer agency.

arrgggh.

Don't mind me, I don't have skin in this game, just some online friends are Masters of the Universe collectors and the stories I read about-were I the head of Mattel there'd be a lot of people fired over the crap Digital River has pulled. And the crap the Chinese factories pull as well. But I'm a crazy man. :)
Posted a thread on the matty forums then same time I sent them an email and got this reply from user "Toyguru" today:
"You can return the figure for a new one through customers service. Yeah, sometimes human error happens in China at our vendor. Sorry about that. It is not intentional and I am sorry to hear about your figure. Always breaks my heart when anything is not perfect. We work really hard on this stuff!"

Return? Screw that. I should not have to pay MORE for something that's not my fault.

For instance, a couple weeks ago I bought a letter set off an ebay store in the states. It had a duplicate letter and was missing another. I notified the seller and without having to return the whole item, they sent out the missing letter USING EXPRESS POST and NOT at my own expense.

Really what benefit do they get for getting me to send back the figure. To prove that it is indeed missing? I'll happily send it back IF they refund postage costs and not charge me to send out the new one.

Also "working really hard on this stuff". HA! Good one.

Also for some reason I can't reply to my OWN thread on the matty forums.. WHAT.

UPDATE:
Was reading a few other threads of people who have the same problem. This is what one said:
"You need to send back the full toy including the lion for a replacement. We can't just send out parts."

INCLUDING THE LION?! I think I might just put up and shut up and hope future releases are fine.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2012 05:02AM by eitlobsaboo.
So I got a response yesterday:

"We apologize for the damaged and/or incorrect product you received. In
order for us to send out a replacement we will first need to pick up the
damaged and/or incorrect item. Please reply with the information below
so that we can arrange the pickup with UPS.

When we create the pickup, we will email you with the tracking number.
UPS will arrive with the shipping label in hand, all you will need to do
is have the product packed in a box which they can put that label on.

We can have UPS pick it up at a different address from the delivery
address, if it is more convenient. Upon receipt of your e-mail, UPS will
be attempting to pickup the product on up to three consecutive business
days if necessary. The first attempt may be as early as the next
business day. Please have your package ready for pickup."

I then replied with does this still apply if I'm in Australia. Next thing I know I get an email saying "they've replaced my order with new order" then I get an "order is confirmed email" which has a 100% discount on the invoice. Followed by an order sent email.

So they're sending me out a new one without picking up the old one? :|
eitlobsaboo Wrote:
> Posted a thread on the matty forums then same time
> I sent them an email and got this reply from user
> "Toyguru" today:
> "You can return the figure for a new one through
> customers service. Yeah, sometimes human error
> happens in China at our vendor. Sorry about that.
> It is not intentional and I am sorry to hear about
> your figure. Always breaks my heart when anything
> is not perfect. We work really hard on this
> stuff!"
>
> Return? Screw that. I should not have to pay MORE
> for something that's not my fault.
>
> For instance, a couple weeks ago I bought a letter
> set off an ebay store in the states. It had a
> duplicate letter and was missing another. I
> notified the seller and without having to return
> the whole item, they sent out the missing letter
> USING EXPRESS POST and NOT at my own expense.
>
> Really what benefit do they get for getting me to
> send back the figure. To prove that it is indeed
> missing? I'll happily send it back IF they refund
> postage costs and not charge me to send out the
> new one.
>
> Also "working really hard on this stuff". HA! Good
> one.
>
> Also for some reason I can't reply to my OWN
> thread on the matty forums.. WHAT.
>
> UPDATE:
> Was reading a few other threads of people who have
> the same problem. This is what one said:
> "You need to send back the full toy including the
> lion for a replacement. We can't just send out
> parts."
>
> INCLUDING THE LION?! I think I might just put up
> and shut up and hope future releases are fine.

Welcome to the wonderful world of dealing with Mattycollector! You are not alone in all this, given what I've read over the past couple of years.

'Toyguru' is actually the brand manager, Scott something or other. He is at once all-powerful and completely helpless if you read all he's written in response to problems and questions.

Yeah, you'd think the solution to a known problem would be get a couple of boxes of replacement parts and just drop the part in an envelope and mail it, right? That's what they used to do, but in those days the factories were in the U.S. and customer service was actually a bunch of people in an office who could just walk down the hall and talk to someone to solve a complaint.

Not in the 21st Century!
eitlobsaboo Wrote:
>
> I then replied with does this still apply if I'm
> in Australia. Next thing I know I get an email
> saying "they've replaced my order with new order"
> then I get an "order is confirmed email" which has
> a 100% discount on the invoice. Followed by an
> order sent email.

You're from Australia, so they trust you.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
asterphage Wrote:
> You're from Australia, so they trust you.

Well in that case I hope there is something wrong with every release that way I get 2 voltrons for the price of 1 *evil laugh*
Replacement Red Lion & Lance arrived today. AWESOME.

Hunk and Yellow should be coming in the next couple weeks too.
Well I don't know what was wrong with the Red Lion design, but Yellow is pretty fantastic. Clicky joints in the legs and just feels a whole lot better than Red. The loose neck is a bit unfortunate, but at least there's a half way locking point. Neck twists easy and joint isn't stiff.
Apart from the neck the only other downside is how big the cockpit door is. IT's HUGE.. and then the seat is too small.. Well the corners near the shoulders make it tough for Hunk to squeeze in. He fits. Just.

I like the spring loaded trap door for where Black's leg goes in. Nice touch. Also the tail isn't spring loaded like Reds too.

This release makes me feel better about this toy. After Red I thought is was going to be a bit dodgy, but Matty has redeemed himself with this one. Lets hope Black is the same if not better.

My package was perfect too, so unfortunately can't opt for a replacement :P
My black lion arrived today.

Its pretty massive.

In fact the size reminded me of a jumbo, and that's basically what it is. A jumbo combiner.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, I caught Atom's review of it last week on CDX:
[www.collectiondx.com]

It doesn't look bad, but as usual, there are QC issues here and there. And VERY questionable design choices.
The Voltron lions are available again in Mattycollector's pre-BF sale... oh, except for Red Lion, who's already sold out... Oh well.
Haha! Metal gurrrlll tries to straighten out gripey geeks about diecast Toynami release. :
[www.youtube.com]
On another note, Voltron & Robotech crossover comic announced!?

[www.voltron.com]

Hrmph. Another two old nostalgic things we love, combined. I'll have to give it a shot, but sure could be a goofy blunder.

Will it sail or fail?

There had GOT to be new toys now! 5 pc.Veritech combiners and all that! Wee!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2013 10:35PM by repairtechjon.
Space Pirate Roy Fokker? Ack!

I can't imagine two more incompatible properties...how about merging Pokemon and DBZ?

Scroll down to the Voltron Hockey Jerseys, that's where it's at!!!
Sanjeev (Admin)
NO!

Bad, Tommy Yune! BAD!!

NO!

For real, this is mind-blowingly stupid. Quotes like these simply break my mind: "fans have long speculated of an epic crossover between the universes" "mecha battles and hero team-ups fans have dreamed of" "Robotech / Voltron is a fan's dream".

WHO?!? Who are these "fans"??? The same people who didn't give two shits about Shadow Chronicles, HG's pathetic attempt to rewrite the end of Robotech into a new on-going series? Sure...'cause if a native continuance of a franchise fails miserably...smash in another totally incongruent franchise!

Nice.

At least the hockey jerseys are dope. ;)
Didn't this crossover already happen in Super Robot Wars? Not that I could read any of it.
Here's how it could work:

We find out that Arus is actually Earth, while Earth is the original home of the Robotech Masters, Tyrol is in fact Plant Doom, the robot Lions are actually the Tamagachi pets of the Zentradi, Misa Hayase is the older, dour judgemental older sister of Allura, whilst Keith and Rick Hunter end up knowing each other from Space BoRics, everything has a Gerwalk mode (including people) and the Space Mice actually POOP Protoculture!!!
Sanjeev (Admin)
^^Fantastic!
Sanjeev (Admin)
And Lotor and Khyron are long-lost brothers. Witch Hagar set the Invid Regis up on a blind date with King Zarkon. But then the Regent finds out...and decides to drown his sorrows with Coran, who's also depressed 'cause he always wanted to bang Allura. And then...
How does Ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-Macron 1 fit in? And Star Blazers? And Tranzor Z?
Oh NO NO NO NO NO...no 80's anime songs stuck in my head for the next six months again!

But, if you just have to...[www.youtube.com]

How about a Thundercats and Care Bears mash-up? I'd die to see Lion-o's care stare beaming out of that feliney-rum-tum-tiger chest of his. Grrrrr!
Lion-O would clearly be a Care Bear cousin, so he'd be roaring a rainbow out of his mouth with his Thundercats Ho line, while the Ro-bears painted smiley faces on their tummies.

Robotech combined three separate properties together, Voltron combined two (maybe three, although I don't think Voltron "2"/Albegas ever made it past the toy phase). And Macaroon one did the worst job of them all trying to combine Srungle and GoShogun. So just combine them all! Anything else we can bring in (I don't think Force Five actually crossed over with each other, did they? And Harlock at least combined with a fellow Matsumoto show).
Sanjeev (Admin)
How about a Harlock-Starblazers-Danguard Ace crossover???

Yeah.

All terrible, terrible ideas.
I feel bad that this thread has been hyjacked by Bad Ideas Inc., but I just can't get over how utterly lametastic the ACTUAL combo of Robotech and Voltron is...one show balanced on "REAL" technology and its implications, the other about a GIANT MAGIC ROBOT with a sword that pops out of thin air.

REALLY? Two great tastes that you'll sputtle out of your mouth when they mix.

Here's an example of a brilliant choclate and peanut butter idea: Transformers and Gobots (Hey Gobots, why you so poorly animated? Let's put the lot of you out of your collective misery...quick...hold them down! Zap! Zap! Zurgle!)
Sanjeev (Admin)
See, it's funny when *we* goof around and come up with stupid-ass bad ideas. It's facepalm-worthy when people like HG and WEP do it...and actually see it through conception, productization, marketing, distribution, etc...

Remember when they tried to shoehorn Robotech in at the very end of the Exosquad cartoon? At least *those* shows were somewhat congruent, in terms of hard scifi-ness, depicted era, and the theme of genetic engineering...and obviously war. Of course, it went absolutely nowhere (well, the reissue Robotech toys were dope).

But this? Wow.
Wait, they actually were going to integrate Exo Squad with Robotech? I thought they just got the license for the toys (just the Destroids, right), kinda like Converters back in the day.

I guess the reason I don't feel too bad about derailing the thread is that it's not like the Voltron license (or the Robotech one for that matter) has been treated with reverence or respect. There have been enough crappy comics and crappy badly animated follow up series that the Voltron property is dead in my eyes. Except for that sweet, sweet vehicle voltron that will never show up on these shores. And that Dynamite Action Albegas that tempts me to preorder it every time I visit amiami.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2013 07:33PM by fujishig.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Sorta. The very last episode of Exosquad--which was basically the aftermath of the Neosapien war--ended with a bunch of mysterious alien ships entering the solar system in just the last minute or so of the cartoon (this was the very first time aliens had ever been mentioned in the series, so it was kind of a big deal). Of course, they pulled the plug after that finale.

Anyway, I remember in one commercial for Exosquad toys around the same time actually showed animation featuring that ending...but they removed the weird alien ships (that looked like jellyfish) and replaced them with the SDF-1 entering the solar system and crashing on Earth.

So maybe if they had green-lit (green-lighted?) another season (and the toys continued to sell--especially the Robotech ones), maybe they woulda ditched the previous season finale with the alien invasion, and gone with something similar to the beginning of Macross...
Sanjeev, dude, you are falling prey to rumors. The SDF-1 never showed up in an Exo-animation, not even in the toy commercials. That was totally only something written on the boxes of the reissued Robotech toys, dog. It was never going to crossover in the show.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Haha....maybe I just wanted it to be true so badly...

LOL

But for real, I coulda sworn I saw *some* animation (couldn't have been the show) that featured the SDF-1 streaking past Mars and a bunch of main characters watching in shock as it headed towards Earth...

Maybe it was a comic or something???
Uh, yeah...I saw it too Jeevsie. We ALL saw it...and it was magnificent! Just like you said.

(Slowly now guys, get the net ready for this one, don't alarm him. Might want to double up on the straight-jacket.)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Just warm up the mancatcher...I don't like the feel of cold spikes against my throat!
I thought the mancatcher was your frilly Southern dress? Or is it that summer floral number? I forgets. Either way, you're good to go.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Rowrrr...

;)
And now the jeebies are back again...

I guess we should all be content that we're only talking about the "mancatcher", and that you're keeping the "Black Mamba" in your wardrobe reserve for G-Fest 2014.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yes, the Black Mamba remains in my pants.

Wait. Wut.

(I'm glad we've ruined this thread, by the way. The very thought of merging Voltron and Robotech deserves no less.)
Yeah, I'm shocked like an chimpanzee wired to a tractor battery that you went that way with the black mamba comment.

Actually, we've been watching Megamind for the past week at home, and the Black Mamba is the most gloriously sinister cape/costume combo worn by the titular (leave it alone!) "hero". Not a bad flick after repeated consumption.

Speaking of wired, a buddy went through the Tough Mudder obstacle course over the weekend in Minnesota. His chief complaint was related to the electric shocks he got from the barbed wire type dealy he kept running into. I may be meeting him with his crew next year to give it a shot. It's a 10 mile course peppered with fortitudinal challenges...such as having to dive into murky muck and pop out forty feet down the pipe...scary!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer