Voltron Force by Mattel...and other signs of the apocalypse

Posted by Sanjeev 
Sanjeev (Admin)
I still don't think it looks bad...although the hips still look odd to me. Eh.

Andrew, why was your post deleted?
asterphage Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [collectiondx.com]
> _mattel
>
> "We wanted to create a Voltron that was as true to
> the classic show as possible, while bringing
> something new and never before seen to the
> table."
>

You can't deny they were truthful about the seond part of their statement!
Sanjeev Wrote:
>
> Andrew, why was your post deleted?

Obviously to make him repost his comment in a more polite manner. It worked!

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
man, i missed the subscription. oh well. decision made i guess.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Nah...I still cannot imagine these being made to-order. Just like with the "limited" MotUC figures, you should still be able to pick them up when they come around...or when they get reissued again and again...
Anonymous User
Look Mattel actually made something cool and its not 300 dollars.

[www.ohgizmo.com]
Anavel Wrote:
> Look Mattel actually made something cool and its
> not 300 dollars.
>
> [www.ohgizmo.com]
> -prop-replica-will-have-ghostbusters-fans-rejoicin
> g/

It is cool. I saw a demo someone shot at SDCC and man, they just nailed it.

Pity it sold out in like a couple of hours of going on sale. I tend to doubt they'll make more, which of course is pure stupid from a 'building a market' POV. At least the resellers and scalpers are happy.

And yeah, they need to make more PKE meters too.
Hope this is an appropriate thread..

Sooo I just got an email from Matty Collector saying:
"The release date for the preorder product has changed. The product listed below will now be available on February 13, 2012"

Going back into my account I believe the first release (red lion) was to be released on Jan 13.. so it was delayed a month.. *sigh*
eitlobsaboo Wrote:
> Hope this is an appropriate thread..
>
> Sooo I just got an email from Matty Collector
> saying:
> "The release date for the preorder product has
> changed. The product listed below will now be
> available on February 13, 2012"
>
> Going back into my account I believe the first
> release (red lion) was to be released on Jan 13..
> so it was delayed a month.. *sigh*

Several of their lines have had month long (or more) delays for the first part of the year. They're off to a pretty good start!
Okay! I may not have gotten too enthusiastic for the new cartoon....

But the Red Lion and Lance are on sale today to start making that 2ft tall classic style VOLTRON! Yes I got in on it without a membership, or site crashing tonight. Went fine.
My fist time using the Matty Collector site. Was fearing the worst with comments from the HeBrat lines, and all. Must've been some upgrading going on.

Go okay for anyone else buying in?

[www.mattycollector.com]

Oh, and of course the ebay flippers are a'flippin' their preorders already at a $30 markup, ....while the Mattel site still has them available. Classic.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2012 09:29PM by repairtechjon.
Can't wait for next year's Vehicle Voltron Club at $30 a pop...that'll only cost $500.00 with shipping.

You think I'm kidding?
Sanjeev (Admin)
Supersentai Wrote:
> Can't wait for next year's Vehicle Voltron Club at
> $30 a pop...that'll only cost $500.00 with
> shipping.
>
> You think I'm kidding?

Do I think you're kidding??? Pal, I'm praying to the gods of atheism that you're right!

I'd buy the fucking SHIT out of a 2' gattai-ing Dairugger. I'll put down my $500 downpayment right now. TAKE MY DAMN MONEY, MATTEL!!
Sanjeev Wrote:
I'd buy the fucking SHIT out of a 2' gattai-ing Dairugger.

Indeed.

I got an email on the 14th saying it has been shipped. Now to wait 8 months before I get the rest of it..
It looked interesting, but at $50 for only a single part of the thing, plus an action figure I could care less about... just not worth it for me.

More serious than thou
>It looked interesting, but at $50 for only a single part of the thing, plus an action figure I could care less about... just not worth it for me.

Also considering I remember Trendmasters 18 inch combining Voltron being $60.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
It looks like a bath toy.
Sanjeev (Admin)
So do Jumbo Machinders. :P

I still don't quite get the economics argument against this thing. It's $275. And you get a 2' full-gattai Golion. The new not-Devastator toy is some $600 (and even the new-new one is over $400). Even the Toynami vinyl-do-nothing "Shogun Warriors" jumbos were around $200-300, right?

Honestly, I probably wouldn't care about the figures either if I were buying this thing, but I'm sure one could flip 'em on eBay to make a little cash back. Anyway, the only reason I didn't throw down for this set is because I'm just not a big Golion fan. But like I said, make a Dairugger just like this, and I'm all over it.
i only care about cost if it allows me to be a smarmy asshole

Sanjeev Wrote:
> But like I said, make a Dairugger
> just like this, and I'm all over it.

[collectiondx.com]

yeah about that
Sanjeev (Admin)
Oh I know...no plans for it. Was just dreamin'...

However, rumors of Bandai actively wanting to make an SoC Dairugger??? Good gods...I'd donate one of hillsy's nuts for that...
Couldn't they just do that in Japan

I mean, I don't think the SRW game that featured Golion had any copyrights for the characters other than by Toei.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Beats me. The CDX article suggested that the legalese was more convoluted than that...

:/
I really just want the action figures of the pilots, not the lions. Anyone buying lions wanna get rid of the pilots, I'm your man.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Price and bath toy aesthetics aside, the only irk I have is that they have stretched the release over 8 months.
Clearly from the recent pics they have 3 of the lions good to go.. wouldn't it have been simpler to release it as a complete set? Or at least halve the releases? Even if only just for subscribers?
2 lions in the first release, 2 more in the next, then black lion with the bonus Sven figure for the final?
Sanjeev (Admin)
Hmm...I tend to prefer all-at-once, myself, but I wonder what the general consensus among TF fans was about the staggered release of the not-Devastator. I could see the argument go either way: all-at-once to save on hassle or staggered to be more gentle on the wallet.

Well, seeing as how the red lion sold out pretty damn quickly*, I'm guessing Mattel's gonna do a re-release at some point. That's what they do with their MotUC figures, afterall. The question is how (if at all) they would differentiate a new release from the original, supposedly-limited subscriber release. Maybe a single giftset in a different color scheme? Either way, they'd be fucking stupid not to...

[* I clicked on the link Jon posted on Wednesday just a few hours later, and they were definitely gone.]
<<I'd donate one of hillsy's nuts for that..>>
<<Couldn't they just do that in Japan >>

This jig is up; my real motivation for going has been discovered.

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Make it happen, hillsy.

Your nuts are mighty.
That's not all....I'm fixing to break all their urination video games.

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Gcrush Wrote:
> I don't remember where the hell this crap is
> supposed to go, but here's Mattel's first Voltron.
> GI Joe/Star Wars scale with "auto-transformation"
> gimmicks. Pilot is around $15 and cat is around
> $35. Combined thingy is close to 24" tall.
>
> I can't get excited about this. At all.

So, the latter statement is still true. The whole toy seems awkward and late-to-the-party. But it's interesting that Mattel apparently revised the selling strategy by combining the pilots and lions into a single package. Hmm.

Oh, and selling out? The PR rumor from "Matty" is that they've reduced the production runs on all their on-line boutique toy lines. But they still seem to magically "refill" from time-to-time (in other words, the prematurely/artificially close the sale window and declare the toy to be "sold out" when there is still most definitely stock available). With that in mind, I'd bet the lion-combos will make some kind of a comeback.
Boom.

------------------------------------------------------------------
I am seeking a plastic Popy Tora Sobu Raideen.
Go Lemel! Twers queek!

Oh, and to clarify, this full 5pc release is NOT subscriber exclusive. Anyone could get one. You just have to get in there and get one after the release date is posted. Is this the usual for Matty Collector stuff?

It seems the benefit of being a subscriber is gar-unt-teed toys, and an automatic BOOM to your credit card?

If there's re-releases based on demand, that'd make sense. Why not? I don't believe these have any numbering hype like the Toynami Masterpiece sets, and Jumbos.

If only we knew some schmoes who knew CAD, and could design a gray 007 foam insert for a big suitcase, Pelican style, hmmmm!??
Red lion is the same size as a fully-assembled Toynami Masterpiece Voltron. The tail has an additional point of articulation midway.

repairtechjon Wrote:
It seems the benefit of being a subscriber is gar-unt-teed toys, and an automatic BOOM to your credit card?

The guaranteed thing is pretty important for a multiple release figure though. Especially if you want it first time round. As for the boom.. it's not much of a surprise as you know it's coming.

I'd hate to miss out on a release. I'd have to fish around on ebay and probably pay more for it or can't find one at all and just hope Matty re-releases it.

If you were wanting to get the figure, a subscription is the easiest and most sensible way to do it.
"If you were wanting to get the figure, a subscription is the easiest and most sensible way to do it."

Oh, I agree with all that, and meant "BOOM" to your card as a positive thing. ;0)
Sorry my silliness and sincerity get easily mixed in type. ;0)

Seeing Lemel's sample, and seeing the proto thingy in person last year, this toy looks like it's just begging to be detailed up, panel lined, etc, to define it's surface just a bit. There are some details built in, but don't pop with the play-doh color job.
MSW
A video review of the Red Lion and Lance figures:
[www.youtube.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Gcrush Wrote:
> The whole
> toy seems awkward and late-to-the-party.

Heh...it still fascinates me how polarizing this toy seems to be! I mean, I have no horse in this race due to my lack of interest in Golion, but if I were a Golion/Voltron III fan, I'd be ape shit over this.

Is it the best use of this toy "format". Of course not. It could have more intricate surface detail, as folks have suggested. But then, so could Jumbo Machinders. And how much does a MIB Popy Golion run these days? Oh, and how many other 2-foot-tall robot toys feature the main gimmick of the robot character (full-gattai)? See, this really IS basically a brand new toy "format". It sure took balls for Mattel just to attempt this..

So it just seems to me that if one has ANY fucking interest in the character, you'd be an ass not to get this thing! :P

But the discussion sure is fascinating! I'll check out that video review later, but it'll be interesting to see how this develops...
You have some odd logic, Sanjeev. I think you have a giantess fetish.
mcfitch (Admin)
repartechjon
If only we knew some schmoes who knew CAD, and could design a gray 007 foam insert for a big suitcase, Pelican style, hmmmm!??

Like these? [us.battlefoam.com]

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt &quot;I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!&quot;
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Is it the best use of this toy "format". Of course
> not. It could have more intricate surface detail,
> as folks have suggested. But then, so could Jumbo
> Machinders. And how much does a MIB Popy Golion
> run these days? Oh, and how many other 2-foot-tall
> robot toys feature the main gimmick of the robot
> character (full-gattai)? See, this really IS
> basically a brand new toy "format". It sure took
> balls for Mattel just to attempt this..

See, when I said "late to the party", I meant that it doesn't really cover any new or compelling ground. Not like, say, the SDCC Voltron action figure - because when's the last/first time we got an honest-to-god Voltron action figure?

We've had several huge Voltrons, some vintage and some modern, and at least one version was based on action-figure pilots and large, goofy, glorious, gattai lions. The Mattel version seems to be an homage to that last one, too, though it doesn't really improve on it very much. At least not in the way that the current Thundercats, He-Man, and Ninja Turtle figures improve upon their vintage counterparts.

I can't tell what the intended appeal for the concept is. Big combining lions with pilots in a low-resolution animation style? I guess. But, again, that's decades late. Jumbos are an old format and modern jumbo-esque toys are a novelty, both of which appeal to niche collectors, not mass-market. And a jumbo of a super robot? Waaay niche.

> So it just seems to me that if one has ANY fucking
> interest in the character, you'd be an ass not to
> get this thing! :P

Man, I dig me some funky robot cat action. But I just can't get excited for this monster.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2012 02:28PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - voltron_lineup.jpg (418.4 KB)
open | download - 4dcecc4fcda04_195336b.jpg (133 KB)
I use to have just the yellow lion on the middle version with the rolling gimmick.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
I can't stand the fact that the rear feet of the arm and leg lions flip back instead of forward.

--------------------------
I want YOU for MoƩ Sucks Army
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer