Voltron Force by Mattel...and other signs of the apocalypse

Posted by Sanjeev 
servbot30 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> do not want.

Ah, you must have seen the MTV "Attack of the Show" Voltron 6" figure reveal.

This should come as no surprise, but it looks like booty. Toyguru (ugh) said it was designed to resemble the original animated combined form. I guess. But that makes it a spectacularly underwhelming toy in nearly all respects. See for yourself.

---

Check out the first ever Voltron action figure from Mattel! Completely authentic to the original series, he’s highly poseable with 22 points of articulation and can transform into different action poses. Comes complete with a translucent sword so you can “Form Blazing Sword!” Blazing Sword Voltron will only be available at SDCC and on MattyCollector.com.

---

Needless to say this fills me with extremely high hopes for the rest of the line. When they open with a turd this spectacular surely things can only go up from here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2011 10:10AM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - voltron.jpg (184.6 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Holy fuck, that is repugnant.

Eh, ya never know, though...they'll VERY likely put out a DXy, plasticy combiner that may not suck. Heh...
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Holy fuck, that is repugnant.
>
> Eh, ya never know, though...they'll VERY likely
> put out a DXy, plasticy combiner that may not
> suck. Heh...

I can't get over how terrible that toy looks. It somehow manages to combine (see what I did there?) soft edges, plasticky finish, obnoxious paint, and lame articulation into an offensively expensive package premised on the idea that you can sell this icon of Voltron Hatred to people that have fond memories of the original cartoon. To be sure, that's a pretty damn bold business strategy. Is this the start of big name corporations joining the ironic toy movement?

And when the more awesome DXy Voltron fails to materialize Toyguru will blame it on a lack of fan support for the line. Ha, ha!

Yet, somehow, I think that if they could make Rowbeasts as obnoxious as Voltron here that I'd fully support them. Hmm...
$30? Wow.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Heh...any robeast toys would be dope. But for real, the more and more I stare at that crap, the more I hate it.
Gcrush Wrote:
>> Check out the first ever Voltron action figure
> from Mattel! Completely authentic to the original
> series, he’s highly poseable with 22 points of
> articulation and can transform into different
> action poses.

And quite possibly the last time anyone will 'let' Mattel crapify a robot favorite again.

So...can it breakdance?
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Heh...any robeast toys would be dope. But for
> real, the more and more I stare at that crap, the
> more I hate it.

I'm with you. I can't think of one redeeming thing to say about the abomination. It's not even a good thing that it exists. And it's goddamn depressing to consider that anyone was paid to design, sculpt, market, and sell the thing. Awful. Just fucking awful.

I do not feel good about any of this.
Wow. That IS horrible. Looks like I won't be waiting in line at Mattel this Comic-con ....

Best, Ken-A
haha...witness the birth of a rare toy...the one that the fewest people buy.
Is...is that a vinyl?

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
Seems this is the spiffy new official site:
[nicktoons.nick.com]

SORTA SPOILER ALERT: an interesting new tidbit about Voltron's ability to combine is found now.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2011 01:14AM by repairtechjon.
in response to the sorta spoiler. whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
Every whiff I have caught of this reboot has stank of the most repugnant of shits.
Finally a trailer.
[nicktoons.nick.com]
repairtechjon Wrote:
> Finally a trailer.
> [nicktoons.nick.com]

Oh yuck...
Woops! New Voltron Force starts tonight on Nicktoons. Soar, Crash, or Meh? We'll see..... 8:30PM EST

[nicktoons.nick.com]
Anyone happen to catch the 90 minute commercial free premier. I watched about half of it before I just couldnt handle it anymore. I actually like the design of the new lions, but the cartoon itself is just very well childish. I know thats there key demographic, but it just really seemed very kiddy and that opening intro song was horrible.

The CG on the lions was tolerable at best, but the 2D parts just looked really poor. I'll give it another few watches before I give up totally. It'll be interesting to see what the new lion toys will look like.

I think the premier airs again Saturday evening.
Looked like Voltron as done by Captain Planet. Like the theme music though. Sounded like some serious hip hop bump music.
I tried watching for 10 minutes and couldn't get past the crappy animation and style... it's a shame but this will probably be more successful than "Sym-bionic Titan". But hey, at least the upcoming Tron cartoon (next year) looks kinda neat?
Hell, I tried watching for 10 seconds and couldn't get past the crappy animation and style. Not even going to bother showing this to my kids as I wouldn't want to hvae to put up with it on the off chance they actually liked what they saw.

More serious than thou
>I tried watching for 10 minutes and couldn't get past the crappy animation and style

Exactly the same for me too.

And this is coming from someone who didn't mind Voltron the Third Dimension.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Sanjeev (Admin)
Bunch o'babies...

I watched the whole 3-part intro last night. And I learned a lot.

I learned that swords are more honorable than guns. Because I guess a less-efficient, gruesome, close-quarters death is more archetypically heroic than getting shot.

I learned that being a wiseass prick in class will get you instantly recruited into the rebel Voltron inner circle.

I learned that in the future, grammar doesn't matter and words like "regulate" have replaced ones like "relegate". [Seriously. Proofread your fucking script.]

I learned that the Galaxy Garrison is now called the "Alliance Forces", and that they let actual live lions roam around the halls, eating cadets.

And finally, I learned that it's actually possible to make a Voltron cartoon SO piss-poor, that every iota of soul can be utterly drained from the gattai-speech.

But, y'know, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Sven is still dead. Or...something.

The Castle of Lions still has absolutely ZERO security. Any jackass invaders (or, ostensibly, war-orphans who later turn into robeasts) can walk in and take hostages.

Innocent Arusians still get slaughtered wholesale.

Anyway, terrible. The animation's horrendous, as has been mentioned before--especially the hand-drawn-to-cg interface. I don't hate the new design of the mecha...but we'll see if it translates into half-decent toys.

Eh...it's kinda sad that a remake cartoon as amazing as the 2002 He-Man series went completely unwatched...while the Irony Gods will likely see to it that this new Voltron lasts many painful seasons.
Oops, mistake post.

--------------------------
I want YOU for Moé Sucks Army

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2011 02:01PM by Scopedog.
Glad to know I wasn't the only one who liked the 2002 He-Man remake
Sanjeev (Admin)
We're likely the only ones. :P

And we'd started talking about Transformers Prime in Marvin's thread on the TF board, but he had also mentioned GI Joe: Renegades. Not to derail this thread [what's to derail? we all think the show sucks...end of story], but I actually didn't hate Renegades.

Kinda GI Joe meets A-Team...
Oh no, there are others who thought the 2002 He-Man was pretty good.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev Wrote:
> We're likely the only ones. :P

I didn't like the He-Man remake. It felt bland and under-produced. The recycled sound effects and Pokemon backgrounds in the pilot episodes were enough to turn me off at the time. Years later I watched some additional episodes and thought, "Are kids these day interested in techno-wizards?" Based on the toy line's performance and the third season failure of the animated marketing, kids don't.

> I actually didn't hate Renegades.
> Kinda GI Joe meets A-Team...

Yeah. Each episode recycles the "on the run" premise, but the plot points keep getting moved along at a fairly steady clip. The goofiness of the characters/missions has also been integrated in a fairly coherent fashion. Aside from Dr. Bindmender being an obnoxious tween, it's been better than I expected.

There was a great episode of "Country Mouse vs. City Mouse" set in Mississippi that revolved around Roadblock and his cousin. Cheap premise, but a pretty thoughtful inclusion. And poor Major Blud - he keeps getting the "George Lucas Treatment".
Oh, and I broke down and watched a few minutes of Voltron Force. Like Sanjeev said, it's so terrible that it is practically guaranteed to enjoy a much longer life than it should.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Gcrush Wrote:
> The recycled sound effects
> and Pokemon backgrounds in the pilot episodes were
> enough to turn me off at the time.

That might have been your problem right there. If I recall correctly, the 3-part pilot sucked. Awkward, painfully long fight scenes with no dialog...drawn out to fill time. As the series progressed, it picked up pretty quick. Solid, entertaining plots.

> Aside from Dr.
> Bindmender being an obnoxious tween, it's been
> better than I expected.

Yeah, I'd almost forgotten about him. Christ, what were they thinking...?
I don't remember where the hell this crap is supposed to go, but here's Mattel's first Voltron. GI Joe/Star Wars scale with "auto-transformation" gimmicks. Pilot is around $15 and cat is around $35. Combined thingy is close to 24" tall.

I can't get excited about this. At all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2011 01:46PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - Not Go Lion.jpg (81.4 KB)
Wrong thread, Mr. Crush. This is for Pony pics.

Oh, wait.

Anyway, that Voltron lion looks sick. And by sick, I mean ill, decrepit, broken down, ailing, diseased, impaired, imperfect, lousy, peaked, rotten, run down, unhealthy, unwell, weak, wobbly, morbid, gross.

Just so we're clear.
gingaio Wrote:
> Anyway, that Voltron lion looks sick. And by sick,
> I mean ill, decrepit, broken down, ailing,
> diseased, impaired, imperfect, lousy, peaked,
> rotten, run down, unhealthy, unwell, weak, wobbly,
> morbid, gross.

But, do you like it?
Sanjeev (Admin)
gingaio Wrote:
> Wrong thread, Mr. Crush...

I hate you all.

I really do.

Anyway, y'know...I'm going to reserve judgement until all five lions are out, along with pics of the combined toy.

The figure/cockpit gimmick is utterly atrocious, but a couple dabs of superglue and you won't have to think about it ever again. The lion, in and of itself, doesn't look *that* bad...despite the white legs.

Who knows? The combined form (that's twenty-four fucking inches!?) could be hot...
Sanjeev Wrote:
> I hate you all.
>
> Who knows? The combined form (that's twenty-four
> fucking inches!?) could be hot...

Click on Veef's link. And bring a bucket.

Does that horrible lion even combine?

[prometheusrising.net]
Prometheum5 Wrote:
> [prometheusrising.files.wordpress.com]
> 7/1310591390173.png
>
> Does that horrible lion even combine?

Yes, and it does so "automatically". Put a button and the lion collapses into a rigid limb. Like magic.

Also, have any other Voltron toys featured white legs? That's just awful.
Ohhhh, I assumed the auto-transformation gimmick was for the opening cockpit or something. How awful.

[prometheusrising.net]
It always seemed strange to me that the Voltron pilot's outfits didn't match the color of their lion.

--------------------------
I want YOU for Moé Sucks Army
Sanjeev (Admin)
Weird...

Apparently, you have to buy all five pilot figures: each comes with a piece of a light-up Blazing Sword.

So that's $75 worth of dumb action figure...and a light-up sword that will likely blow.

Or...I could rapid-prototype one that dead-nuts-accurate for half as much...
This just makes me want to take out my LJN Ultimate Voltron to fiddle with some more... sure it's butt ugly but at least it had some neat play features (light up eyes, various firing missiles/bombs gimmicks) and a better designed "cockpit"... think my Panosh Place/LJN Voltron pilots are still sitting comfortably within!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer