Bandai Bringing the Thundercats

Posted by glane21 
ThunderCats, Ho! Warner Bros. Consumer Products and Bandai America Incorporated Team Up for Inspired Product Line Based on Pop Culture Classic ThunderCats
ThunderCats Roars Back Into the Mainstream with Fresh Toys, New Cartoon Network Episodes

BURBANK & CYPRESS, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Warner Bros. Consumer Products (WBCP) announced today a powerhouse partnership with Bandai America Incorporated, as the global master toy licensee for the animated series, ThunderCats. Under the new agreement, Bandai and their international affiliates will create and distribute products worldwide that will complement both the classic brand property, as well as Cartoon Network’s fresh take on the animated series, with new television episodes set to air in 2011.

“ThunderCats have been a cult pop culture phenomenon for the past 25 years, and Bandai America looks forward to developing modern and engaging toys for these beloved characters”

“With their legacy of cultivating fun and fresh play experiences for beloved character properties, Bandai is the ideal master toy license for ThunderCats,” said Brad Globe, president, Warner Bros. Consumer Products. “We are thrilled to team up and introduce the ThunderCats property to a new generation of fans.”

“ThunderCats have been a cult pop culture phenomenon for the past 25 years, and Bandai America looks forward to developing modern and engaging toys for these beloved characters,” said Masayuki Matsuo, chairman and chief executive officer, Bandai America Incorporated. “Through the Bandai America and Warner Bros. Consumer Products partnership, die-hard devotees as well as a new generation of fans will be introduced to quality, innovative toys that will create magical playtime experiences capturing the adventurous spirit of the brand.”

An all-new animated series, based on the iconic 1980s action classic, ThunderCats, is currently in production at Warner Bros. Animation. The new ThunderCats, a 21st century reimagining of the series that will air on Cartoon Network, will appeal to viewers who have loved the characters all their lives as well as young newcomers to the franchise. A sweeping tale combining swords and science and boasting ferocious battles with the highest of stakes, the grand origin story of Prince Lion-O’s ascension to the throne – and of those who would thwart his destiny at any cost – takes on epic dimensions in this sharp new telling. As the forces of good and evil battle each other in the quest for the fabled Stones of Power, Lion-O and his champions learn valuable lessons of loyalty, honor and mortality in every episode.

ThunderCats is executive produced by Sam Register (“Teen Titans,” “Ben 10,” “Batman: The Brave and the Bold”). Michael Jelenic (“Batman: The Brave and the Bold,” “Wonder Woman”) and Ethan Spaulding (“Avatar: The Last Airbender”) are the producers. The series marks a creative collaboration between Warner Bros. Animation and Studio4°C, one of the most vibrant animation studios in Japan.

Debuting in 1985, the ThunderCats roared onto the broadcast air waves and created feline frenzy with their band of cat-like heroes from the planet Thundera. Behind their fearless leader Lion-O, the ThunderCats strove to protect their new home on Third Earth and their headquarters, Cat’s Lair, from the Mutants of Plunn-Darr. The ThunderCats pop culture phenomenon had its paws sunk deeply not only in television, but also toylines, apparel and comic books. Twenty-five years later, through the Warner Bros. Consumer Products and Bandai America collaboration, the beloved brand is poised to make a new audience of kids feel the magic and hear the roar once again
I'm guessing the Sword of Omens will be a Web Exclusive then?
This is cool.
I hope they don't smash up the round iconic logo too much.

Man, I remember the whole creepy crypt energy swirl thing-a-ma-gigy, that Mum-RA did to transform would scare, and have my little brothers all bugeyed. With new animation craziness, I wonder how dark that scenes gonna be now? Ha

As for toys, With all the fantastic playsets out there at the toy stores these days, I hope they come out with cool new Cat's Lair castle.
The timing of this announcement bothers me, given the recent news: [blogs.laweekly.com]
repairtechjon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I hope they don't smash up the round iconic logo

I hope they keep Snarf EXACTLY the same. Panthro, however, hasn't aged well.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2010 04:51PM by RainBot.
I assume this will be through Bandai USA, who has put out, IMO, some awfully crappy toys of late. I can't imagine this is going to be quality stuff.

More serious than thou
The whole thing is going to tank because it'll be aimed at a generation of kids too jaded by digital media to give a shit about what their parents thought was cool when they were the same age.
Sanjeev (Admin)
So true...

...UNLESS they make it better than what their parents thought was cool. Afterall, it's being produced by the people responsible for Avatar, Ben10, and Batman: The Brave and the Bold...all great shows...even by digital age standards.

Here's to hoping it's good. If not, I won't lose sleep.
"The whole thing is going to tank because it'll be aimed at a generation of kids too jaded by digital media to give a shit about what their parents thought was cool when they were the same age."

Depends. Kids like Transformers and Ninja Turtles.

Although, remember how badly the 2002 He-man line did.

I lol whenever they mention that this is going to be anime because it practically WAS already anime. LOTS of shows in the 80's were animated in Japan during the 80's and you can see the stylistic anime touches (especially in the openings to these shows).

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Yeah, those cartoons are at the upper end of the quality game. But all their associated toys are utter booty.

Also, keep in mind that if they revise TC too much to make it more attractive they'll alienate the parents of the kids they're trying to tap into...
I'd like to at least get a nice classic Lion-o figure out of the mix. But the sculpt, poseability and quality of Bandai's other figure lines like Power Rangers and Kamen Rider are pretty sad. Maybe they'll really try this time.
Back when I was in art school, I overheard someone muttering "I want my kids to only watch 80's cartoons."

Ugh!

Vincent Z. Wrote:
>
> LOTS of shows in the 80's were animated in Japan during the 80's

Yeah, but what about shows from the 80s that were animated in Japan during the 90s? I don't know how they got there, but I do NOT like it when time paradoxes are involved in making my entertainment.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
The toys for Teen Titans were actually pretty cool, they were just of something I had no interest in. They had plenty of figures and vehicles - including a combining robot - in different scales. They were just horribly distributed and made far too few to go around. Look up some and see how crazy the prices are for the rare ones, I still see stuff I had no idea they made. Fortunately they seem to have gotten that sorted out since I see Ben 10 and Batman toys all over the place.

The show should at least be as good as the original (which hasn't aged as well as you may think) given the history of the shows they've done. One huge thing they may be overlooking is how good the music was for the old show. Between the rally cry of the theme song that grown men still feel no problem at all singing far too loudly, and the unique little cues each character had ala Peter and the Wolf, the music was a big part of the character of the show.
The Power Ranger revival figures are pretty good. I'm fine with the level of articulation at the 3 1/2 size.

Bandai ALMOST had it right with the D.I.C.E. line but I think as good as it could have been (also the anime was dog shit).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer