Gaiking the movie - let us all pray that it doesn't suck

Posted by Zambo Ace 
Great news! Look forward to a report if anyone can go to the screening. Sure to be on a few blogs.

I hope there's parts in the new show where a kid's playing with robot/monster toys, or they're in the background on shelves.

Reissue toys, and footie-jammies, YES!
cae
what happens if you drop a lightsaber point down? On purpose even?

---------------------------------
hassenpfeffer
Are these the same people that were doing the Battle of the Planets movie? Also remember that independent Grendizer movie that was being made?
cae Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> what happens if you drop a lightsaber point down?
> On purpose even?

Nerd answer? Generally a light saber goes out when you let go, except for that one time in Empire Strikes Back when Vader threw his to drop some crap on Luke.

Otherwise? You'd think it would either tip over and clatter to the ground, or it would burn into the ground.

Me, I think it would start flying around on its own looking for arms and hands to chop off...
cae Wrote:
> what happens if you drop a lightsaber point down?
> On purpose even?

It would create a tunnel to Japan. Then we could slide through it and save on shipping and airline tickets. We could use our savings to buy more robots and go see the Gaiking movie.
Yoda also threw his lightsaber into a clone's chest in Episode 3.
"Are these the same people that were doing the Battle of the Planets movie?"

I thought that was the group that did Astro Boy and just folded. Imagi, I think?

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Where have you been? The Battle of the Planets movie came out last year, it was called G-Force.
cae: What the hell...I thought you were dead...

and yes Imagi is dead...deader that cae...
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Wow...is this actually...happening?
>
> I honestly replied to Alt's first post with the
> Cameron-Mazinger pipedream in mind. I mean, I
> enjoyed the "Legend of", but I figured it was so
> unpopular, Bandai canned the other chogokin toys
> (the Vulking and Raiking that were supposed to
> combine with the GE-10 Gaiking)...

The toys were unpopular, but the cartoon was not. Originally, it wasn't expected to do well, and so was given a small budget, but it surprisingly became fairly popular. You might remember that the earlier episodes had fairly shoddy animation, but it improves as the series goes on. This is because it became popular enough that Toei decided to actually give it a budget!

That said, the toys did not sell as well. Not to many kids in the target demographic can afford to drop 6000 yen on a toy. If they made action figures they might have sold better, but that's not here or there...
Roger Wrote:
> Where have you been? The Battle of the Planets
> movie came out last year, it was called G-Force.

And they mangled the plot, just like everyone predicted. The team only has 4 members, and they don't even wear the classic costumes.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Sanjeev (Admin)
Zambo Ace Wrote:
> The toys were unpopular, but the cartoon was not.
> Originally, it wasn't expected to do well, and so
> was given a small budget, but it surprisingly
> became fairly popular. You might remember that the
> earlier episodes had fairly shoddy animation, but
> it improves as the series goes on. This is because
> it became popular enough that Toei decided to
> actually give it a budget!

Very interesting. Yes, I noticed that. I also noticed that as the series progressed, they worked in more and more references to the original show. Maybe that was intended all along, but it'd be interesting to hear if they actually started tweaking the story to fit a more adult/nostalgic demographic towards the end.

> That said, the toys did not sell as well. Not to
> many kids in the target demographic can afford to
> drop 6000 yen on a toy. If they made action
> figures they might have sold better, but that's
> not here or there...

Well, *IF* they did improve the animation and throw more nostalic references into the show to appeal to adults, I sure hope they plan on making more toys at some point (though I'd probably prefer some big chunky, plasticy DX Daiku reminiscent of a sentai toy over yet another SoC clone).
Speaking of Gaiking toys, whatever happened to "MOst Wanted?"
They put out the line of big vinlys (mini jumbos?) and that great 3pc DX build together set of Gaiking the Great, but not much in the last year.
Just back to the G-Force/Gatchaman topic for a second, has anyone released a "super mechanics" (plastic) version of the Unifive Godphoenix akin to the Taito Yamato/Arcadia toys?

It just feels wrong to run around the house making "whoosh whoosh" sounds with what is becoming a more and more expensive piece of die-cast when a more expendible plastic version would be just as much fun.

-Adam (Supersentai)
I would say just use the Unifive, but my damn nosecone always falls off.

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Personally I've lost faith in the movie from what I've seen of it at [blog.hobbystock.jp] Gaiking's design is just fail as far as I'm concerned and the cockpit looks worse. So it looks like they're Americanizing it or something. So no original Gaiking or Daiku Maryu Gaiking but something new, which is prboably why Gaiking was choosen, can easily remove the characters and story to create something new with just the robot...
Good lord, that design is hideous!
I dunno....even yellow belly-less, it still looks kinda cool. Oh, and I NEED a Toei Animation windbreaker.

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Do want.
The concept drawing is crotch thrusting??!!

I still like it, covered in dirtclods and all, like he just busted through a building. If they put some color in it, somewhere, anywhere, it would go a long way.
So this IS a live action Gaiking? I guess that's to go along with the live action Yamato. I still think it would've been a better idea to pick a different robot that's well known outside of Japan but hasn't had a recent revival.
It's supposed to be CG.
Should've made it Gerry Anderson puppet style, like BigDAi-X, Starfleet.
josh fraser (Moderator)
Well I am excited. There is never going to be a remake of the original design, so I will just enjoy the fact they even decided to do the character,

Also I am curious if they are going to do a Ga Keen and Baratack based on that last image.

I want a Toei windbreaker too.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Indeed, bring back Supermarionation! :P

Anyway, I dunno... This doesn't bother me too much. It's not that big a departure from the original design. I mean, the "Legend of" cartoon design for Gaiking wasn't all that different either (minus all the weird add-on mecha...and Vulking and Raiking).

Are we really sure the final design won't have ANY color? The poster could just be black and white for dramatic/artistic effect...

And if this movie is supposed to be CG, why does there appear to be a live action actor in a cockpit mockup?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2010 12:52PM by Sanjeev.
I wonder if this is in anyway shape or form meant to go up against that Taekwon V CG movie that was being worked on in Korea?
I think that by CG they meant Gaiking when seen from outside...

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
yeah, the pilot thing was why I was asking if this is live action.

Slightly off topic, but is there any info on that new Harlock movie?
josh fraser Wrote:
> Also I am curious if they are going to do a Ga
> Keen and Baratack based on that last image.

Ga Keen, Baratack and Gaiking in the last picture have to do with the Toei Robot Girls. Which is just a 4koma (4 panel comic) which basically promotes the three Toei shows and their DVD releases and what not. [www.toei-anim.co.jp] is the site, it supposedly might be an anime one day too.

As for Gaiking the shots of Gaiking are from the trailer so the lack of color is what's shown in the trailer. And I'm pretty sure they mean full CG there are a few shots [gigazine.net] though they've mostly been seen before. Only thing worth mentioning is the lady in the last pic is supposed to be the pilot.
There's been a trailer released: [www.youtube.com]

and here's an article that clears up some details: [www.aintitcool.com]

Things worth noting:
* the final design will be in color
* a 1x1 scale Gaiking is being built for the film
* "There's no doubt the crappy TRANSFORMERS movies have led the way for this - but unlike Michael Bay - these guys are genuinely obsessive with the source material - the grander genre of Anime itself."
* "if, geek willing, they get to do the sequel - which is plotted out - the likely title would be SHOGUN WARRIORS."
Uhg well that killed it for me totally, pass. Now I hope the world does end in 2012 so they can never make a sequel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2010 05:06PM by Mark064.
>>Only thing worth mentioning is the lady in the last pic is supposed to be the pilot.

Is she gonna get all upset and shout KIIIIIRYUUUUUU!
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA! It's Bay-KING! AHAHAHAHAHA!

Seriously though, that teaser was fucking fantastic. You can't do Gaiking without it being a really over the top and implausibly sweet robot, but that cockpit shot really sealed it for me, combining the super-robot idea with just enough 'real robot' to get me wet. I can't fucking wait!

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
josh fraser (Moderator)
Mark064 Wrote:
> Uhg well that killed it for me totally, pass. Now
> I hope the world does end in 2012 so they can
> never make a sequel.

Why? Because of the female pilot? I think this looks ok. I mean it is not how I would do it, but it does not look bad at all for what it is. Too early to tell I think.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2010 08:58PM by josh fraser.
If this gets released in the US, even just in indie theaters, we totally need to get the "night on the town" chogo-gang thing going. All our pockets full 'o toys, 'Jeev style. I'd even get my 'fro wig for the evening.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2010 09:11PM by repairtechjon.
josh fraser Wrote:
> Why? Because of the female pilot? I think this
> looks ok. I mean it is not how I would do it, but
> it does not look bad at all for what it is. Too
> early to tell I think.

Nah it has nothing to do with the pilot, it has to do with well everything I read on the the ain't it cool news link. From what it sounded like in that they are more interested in creating Shogun Warriors then anything and that's what they were working towards.
Yes, they finally figured out that's what will get the audince in. Gaiking, what's that?
Mark064 Wrote:
> josh fraser Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Why? Because of the female pilot? I think this
> > looks ok. I mean it is not how I would do it,
> but
> > it does not look bad at all for what it is. Too
> > early to tell I think.
>
> Nah it has nothing to do with the pilot, it has to
> do with well everything I read on the the ain't it
> cool news link. From what it sounded like in that
> they are more interested in creating Shogun
> Warriors then anything and that's what they were
> working towards.

OK, yes, this. thank you for bringing it up.

That article confused the hell out of me. I swear it reads like the computer guy was saying 'Force Five' and they did a global search-and-replace with 'Shogun Warriors'.

a. aside from a few bucks, what possible interest would Mattel have in licensing the name? Assuming they still have the copyright and trademark on it.

b. Yes, Shogun Warriors has a good 'Q' with our geek crowd. I would be surprised if it had any traction whatsoever with anyone under 40 and that's just not going to work. See also Astro Boy.

c. Story? WHAT story? there's no Shogun Warriors story! No history! no anything! it's a name given to a line of toys brought over from Japan. What, "he's a Samurai skull!" is a STORY?

d. Marvel Comics. THEY did create a story from a handful of toys, of which Gaiking was NOT one of. So how much of that comic storyline Marvel's I.P and how much passed to Mattel? I'm guessing nothing as there is nothing in the robots used in the Shogun Warrior comic that is specific to the I.P of any of the licenses except the physical forms themselves, which can be changed. I recall one robot, Red Ronin? that looked alot like an altered Battle Fever Robo.

Everything the guy seems to talk about sounds like he's remembering the Jim Terry Force Five stuff.

I dunno, this seems so much like a total, utter trainwreck-poorly thought out and not ready for prime time.

So what next? we find out that really, the Harlock CG thing is actually Albator? I expect that.
This is a dream come true Mario is BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Is there a release date for the movie? Or maybe a target year? Hopefully this will really happen unlike so many things that just kind of fizzle out.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer