Gaiking the movie - let us all pray that it doesn't suck

Posted by Zambo Ace 
Press says 2012
Sanjeev (Admin)
mario Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is a dream come true Mario is
> BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hilarious! Always good to know you're lurking, Mario!

SteveH, a) Toynami owns the sole rights to the Shogun Warriors brand name (which we've discussed ad nauseum in the Voltron Jumbo Machinders thread), and d)? I don't see any Force Five in what that guy wrote.

Frankly, that AICN article made this whole thing seem WAY more bullshit than ever before.
I know we discussed many things in that thread but I don't recall any statements that Toynami actually OWNS the Shogun Warriors branding, just speculation they must have licensed it, because wow it sure would be foolish to mock up some box tops to get the geeks all thrilled about something, wouldn't it?

(return of Godaikin? what was that? Didn't Toynami mock up a Godaikin box or two in 2008 to pimp the Bandai deal? Naaa, I'm crazy)

When someone talks about storylines and characters and plots in reference to Shogun Warriors, they're completely talking out of their ass, if they're speaking in context of Gaiking. The only way that makes any sense is if one assumes the speaker is blending Force Five with Shogun Warriors.

But otherwise... When I thought Toei was doing this I could see some sort of sense to it. Now that it appears to be completely American driven, it's completely bats**t bonkers.
how does this affect the robotech movie
Wait...this is all getting really confusing quick.

So is there going to be:

a. A new Upcoming Gaiking CGI anime
b. A CGI Gaiking segment in a new "Heavy Metal" movie
c. A Hollywood produced, big budget live action GAIKING movie
d. All of the Above
e. None of the above

...and why the heck Gaiking?!? It's not as if he's the "Boba Fett" of Super Robots...oh wait.
H-man Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wait...this is all getting really confusing
> quick.
>
> So is there going to be:
>
> a. A new Upcoming Gaiking CGI anime
> b. A CGI Gaiking segment in a new "Heavy Metal"
> movie
> c. A Hollywood produced, big budget live action
> GAIKING movie
> d. All of the Above
> e. None of the above
>
> ...and why the heck Gaiking?!? It's not as if he's
> the "Boba Fett" of Super Robots...oh wait.

Well, like I said near the start of the thread, back when I thought this was all Toei driven. Gaiking makes sense if you want to sell to Europe, mostly Italy, and it's likely a cheaper thing to do as there would be no payoff to Dynamic Pro.

Now, I don't know what to think. The 'timelne' is so muddled and messed up.

You know what it sort of sounds like? The gestation of 'revive Star Trek' back in the '70s. It stated as a TV movie, a 'movie of the week' deal, and puttered along for about a year, then a studio head decided that Paramount should launch their own network, and everything was revised to work toward a TV series, then that fell thru, and there was talk of making a low budget movie, and that stalled, then Star Wars came out and the heads of Paramount figured "oh, OK, well that's the only space movie anyone will want to see, kill the Trek thing" then Close Encounters of the third Kind came out and ALSO made huge money and suddenly Paramount needed a space movie, a BIG space movie right NOW and thus- Star Trek the Motion Picture.

It's called 'repurposing'...like taking Goridan and turning it into Baikanfu. :)
SteveH Wrote:
>
> b. Yes, Shogun Warriors has a good 'Q' with our
> geek crowd. I would be surprised if it had any
> traction whatsoever with anyone under 40 and
> that's just not going to work. See also Astro
> Boy.

THIS. That AICN article read like those guys were living in a parallel universe where the Shogun Warriors brand still has legs... a world where the brand hadn't been completely dormant for thirty years.

H-man Wrote:
>
> ...and why the heck Gaiking?!? It's not as if he's
> the "Boba Fett" of Super Robots...oh wait.

Oh, I get it. Because Boba Fett has a picture of Gaiking on his shoulder.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
yeah, that AICN article sounds like a total load. That and the guy who wrote it made it out like he himself is the sole reason Gaiking is seeing any sort of revival. Bullshit.
You think that AICN article is confusing, I first read about this from IGN:
[movies.ign.com]

Here's a quote:

Here's a quick refresher course: Although they look like giant robots, the Shogun Warriors are actually giant suits of armor -- mech suits -- piloted by human beings. In the anime series Gaiking, the title character, also known as the Demon Dragon of the Heavens, was invented by Prof. Hightech (Dr. Daimonji in the original series) and piloted by Japanese baseball star Sanshiro Tsuwabuki. The Super Robot Gaiking began as one of the Shogun Warriors, but he later became part of the Americanized anime series Force Five. Gaiking and the Super Robots battled the forces of the Dark Horror Army, alien invaders from the planet Zela.

end quote

What the heck are they talking about?

And I still don't get the rationale for building a 1/1 model of Gaiking for the movie, just to get shadows right and so that they can get shots of the actors in perspective with the robot. Or building a 1/1 model to scan into a computer. Is it April 1 over there or something?
See? I told ya, people mashing together Shogun Warriors and Force Five, confusing what goes where and all that.
I can't wait for the Michael Bay Macron 1 movie, where the Japanese will actually have to edit his film into two distinct movies, one for Srungle and one for Go Shogun.

No, seriously, building a 1/1 Gaiking for shooting a CGI movie? An American company backing a teaser trailer with a Japanese woman as the pilot? Wouldn't they get American actors/likenesses if they were the main backers? Heck, if Gaiking or Shogun Warriors or Force Five or Battletech or whatever they want to confuse it with were so popular over here, wouldn't they test the waters by licensing the recent cartoon first?

I mean, I hope for Mario's sake this isn't some early April Fool's joke, but color me skeptical.
I think the guy claiming the full size Gaiking is for CG reference purposes, or whatever, either doesn't know what he's talking about, or is intentionally talking out his ass at us. Building the 1/1 model serves the same purpose it did for Bay's Transformers: to provide the internet with casual on-set photos of actors on, near or interacting with a big fake robot. It looks cool, gets people excited, and provides a tangible example of what giantness and robotness are all about without having to take real movie footage and composite the shot with CG. For impressing the target audience, it's worth it, even if the only practical use is for shots where the robot is immobile in a hangar.
Me, I liked the full size green screen Optimus Prime head and shoulder better than the full size paralyzed Bumblebee.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Certainly a MUCh better effort than that T28 LA movie from half a decade ago.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
mcfitch (Admin)
I love how everyone has such strong and certain opions based on what is essentially a tech demo and reported to not be the final product as well as an AICN blurb which are always 100% true by the time a movie comes out ;-)

Look, its a fucking Gaiking movie coming to the big screen in the US. I'm not expecting a repeat of Lord of the Rings here, I just want to watch this and enjoy it for what it is. So far what I've seen and read has me excited and I am usually horribly jaded when reading teaser info on comic book movies and such.
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
josh fraser (Moderator)
> Look, its a fucking Gaiking movie coming to the
> big screen in the US. I'm not expecting a repeat
> of Lord of the Rings here, I just want to watch
> this and enjoy it for what it is. So far what
> I've seen and read has me excited and I am usually
> horribly jaded when reading teaser info on comic
> book movies and such.
> -Mason

Amen brother...
Let's start a fund so we can get joint ownership of the 1x1 model after the movie is finished and the studio no longer needs it.

I think I can pitch in a few dollars every week. Let's make this happen.
I still think this little video looks like a Toonami opening.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
I am watching the video clip again with my pants off!
Bazooler bazooler !!! can't wait to see Nessar too !
Gaiking Trailer - Zambo Ace trailer post banned on you tube

[www.youtube.com]

Gaiking looks awesome.
Horrible. Ugly. They took everything that was cool about Gaiking and threw it away. They turned Gaiking into a bland receptacle of ideas taken from other bad movies.
So basically, Gaiking if done by Michael Bay.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
josh fraser (Moderator)
Didn't we all go over this already? lol
Isn't the same old trailer?

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
I like how there's a million monitors in that cockpit and not one of them shows anything outside. No wonder she's wrecking up the city, she can't see shit.

And why is there a girl in that cockpit? I thought this movie was about someone named "Guy King." (HAW!)
I don't see how the Gaiking is ugly, he looks exactly like every Gaiking figure I have seen and owned.

I don't like that girl is in the cockpit, but maybe she is part of the bad guys and stole Gaiking. It could explain why she has no problem destroying everything around her.

I always thought they would put the Mazingers, Gaiking, Raideen, and the rest of the shogun warriors comic in one movie instead of one movie for each.
After watching the trailer, I'd like to say that this movie exists in the same way that "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" exists, only slightly less.
Update on that "Gaiking" movie - looks like it's happening. Maybe we can all thank "Pacific Rim" for this...

[www.aintitcool.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Wow...damn.
mcfitch (Admin)
I may be in the extreme minority here but I don't really want this made. Gaiking is my thing. It was a HUGE part of my childhood and I simply have little faith that this production will come close to connecting with those memories.
-Mason

Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well, I doubt a live-action production will be any good...

But I'll just say this: I was JUST as skeptical (read: cynical) when the Legend of Daikumaryu anime was announced. And that turned out to be awesome.
mcfitch (Admin)
I got no enjoyment out of Legend of Daikumaryu either. I didn't connect with it on any level aside from cool visuals. I watched about 4 episodes and had no desire to see anymore.
-Mason

Sanjeev (Admin)
Then I hate to say it, man, but you missed out! I haven't enjoyed a cartoon like that since GaoGaiGar...but besides the hot-blooded action, good animation, and decent plot, there were TONS of easter eggs and other sorts of references to the original show. And they only got better as the show progressed.

Even those of us who grew up on the butchered Force Five version of Gaiking will make all the sweet connections they threw in there. It's good stuff!
I enjoyed Legend as well, but still have a greater bond with the original anime. Legend was such a completely different take, the only thing the two shows shared was the same root mecha design. Which makes you wonder why not just cobble out your own robot designs if you are taking so many liberties with the source that it becomes unrecognizable. Akin to the American Godzilla movie, if they had released it under the name of "The Giant Skittering Lizard which lays Eggs", I can't imagine Toho would have blinked as to any intentional infringement.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer