GOTHIC MADE-Mamoru Nagano is back!

Posted by Vincent Z. 
[gothicmade.com]

Yeah baby! I remember when this was announced back in 2006. I loved the anime version of Five Star Stories and wished there was more like that. Technically, this is Nagano's directorial debut. Looks stunning.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Anonymous User
Amazing, now how many more years till it comes out?
[automaticflowers.ne.jp]
Lotsa cool mech models index in the FiveStarStories site. I didn't realize the variety in that Nagano universe.
I don't know when, if ever, Gothicmade will get produced, but if anything at all has been announced about it, I'm sure there are 6 months coming of fluff articles in Newtype with lavish illustration spreads and no information.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
[www.animenewsnetwork.com]

I dunno, I fear Nagano has turned to the Dark Side...
How so?

I mean, he's not promoting THESE abominations in that video clip, is he?

[www.toysdaily.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2010 03:21AM by Kwesi K..
Given how Nagano has a clothing fetish, and recalling the waif-like looks of the Fatimas from FSS, I can easily imagine Nagano taking the plunge into the dread ocean of MOE.After all, it's where the money is currently, merchandising-wise and Nagano has since the '80s been all about the merchandising.

I mean, the title? Gothicmade? Goth? Maid? and maybe Steampunk? Victorian clothing?

And, just to be evil, recall that it was Vince that made the initial post.

So, yeah, I'm looking for 'problems' that do not yet exist. I get that. But if you see someone carrying a can of gasoline and flicking a Zippo lighter over and over, it's smart thinking to figure there may be a fire in the future...
Kwesi K. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How so?
>
> I mean, he's not promoting THESE abominations in
> that video clip, is he?
>
> [www.toysdaily.com].
> html

Wut?

They also dare to soil the SR-71 by showing it together with this crap in one of those clips.
SteveH Wrote:
> Given how Nagano has a clothing fetish, and
> recalling the waif-like looks of the Fatimas from
> FSS, I can easily imagine Nagano taking the plunge
> into the dread ocean of MOE.

> And, just to be evil, recall that it was Vince
> that made the initial post.

Steve, just shut up already. Your anti-moe obsession is starting to dominate everything you post.
"Steve, just shut up already. Your anti-moe obsession is starting to dominate everything you post."

AMEN!!

If it stays to the Victoria-Persia aesthetic (yeah I made that up, puffy pants/vests :0p ) and has some cool mysticmecha action, then great.

But there better NOT be any ultimate flying panty kites in it!!

Still have that original Newtype cover article laying around, enjoyed that artwork. Hope to get more than that eventually...
Vincent Z. Wrote:
> AMEN!!

Vincent, just shut up already. Your pro-moe obsession is dominating everything you post.
Anonymous User
Why don't you all just stop dragging the moe argument into every conversation regardless if it is relative or not.
Sanjeev (Admin)
VF5SS Wrote:
> Vincent Z. Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > AMEN!!
>
> Vincent, just shut up already. Your pro-moe
> obsession is dominating everything you post.

Win.
Did I mention moe in this thread? NO

EVERY SINGLE DAMN THREAD I MAKE HAS BEEN AN ARGUMENT ABOUT MOE AND I'M NOT GOING THERE THIS TIME.

Yeah, now I'm kinda sorry I asked. I was mostly joking with the link. Didn't expect it to bring out the zoo crew. Probably should have known better.

Also, I wasn't aware that evidence of Nagano going to the dark side was that he is doing what he has always done.
SteveH, please take your old man pills to relax.

So this is going to be a theatrical film, right? I hold Nagano eases up on his merchandising embargo so as to see some TOYS (no, not expensive resin kit models). I want full blown articulated figures.

Vince has been emboldened, but I will be justified in the end. Just you watch.

And Nagano has no 'embargo' on merchandising, he just wants complete control so it reflects his work. he, like Gainax, felt that the Garage Kit Industry was better for some things, more personal, more in touch with the 'soul', the connection between creator and the consumer. Then Gainax whored themselves out with Eva.

The amount of G-kits produced for Five Star Stories is staggering.
>And Nagano has no 'embargo' on merchandising, he just wants complete control so it >reflects his work. he, like Gainax, felt that the Garage Kit Industry was better >for some things, more personal, more in touch with the 'soul', the connection >between creator and the consumer. Then Gainax whored themselves out with Eva.

That be true.

As far as Nagano and schoolgirls, one of the volumes of FSS was nothing but how schoolgirls live in the FSS world.

I so wished during when Yoshiyuki Tomino was in NYAF, that someone asked him about his collaboration with Nagano on things like L-Gaim, Z & ZZ Gundam and Brain Powered.

I'm sure there's an official bio out there somewhere, but IIRC Nagano was just another guy hired on to Sunrise to be a designer, his first credit I know off the top of my head was work on Vifam (1983}, he was doing some mechanical design work- you can see it most clearly in the pilot helmets, and I think he did some costume design work for the antagonists in the show.

It would be easy to assume he felt raped by Sunrise over L-Gaim but I don't think that's the case. I suspect the burr in his saddle was he didn't get a cut of the merchandising money. Hence Toys Press, Five Star Stories and all that stuff.
>It would be easy to assume he felt raped by Sunrise over L-Gaim but I don't think >that's the case. I suspect the burr in his saddle was he didn't get a cut of the >merchandising money. Hence Toys Press, Five Star Stories and all that stuff.

I'd thought it would have been having his version of the ZZ Gundam being rejected.

Vincent Z. Wrote:
> >It would be easy to assume he felt raped by
> Sunrise over L-Gaim but I don't think >that's the
> case. I suspect the burr in his saddle was he
> didn't get a cut of the >merchandising money.
> Hence Toys Press, Five Star Stories and all that
> stuff.
>
> I'd thought it would have been having his version
> of the ZZ Gundam being rejected.

Oh, I don't think anyone would get in a hissy over having a design rejected. Good lord, Okawara cranks out about 50 designs for a 'hero' robot before it gets boiled down to what the producer (and toy maker) likes.

No, if you check the historical record (i,e. buy up some old books) you'll see that in the production of L-Gaim Nagano cranked out a TON of stuff history and backstory-wise, as well as 'what happens next' material that got utterly ignored or deemed excessive to the needs of production, and I would think it would be natural for so much creative energy being denied to have some souring effect on the business relationship. But seemingly not.
If we could get some more toys like the old 1/100 HiMetal L-Gaim , that'd be great. What did Nagano think of that release?

The quality of Bandai lines like Soul Spec, and whatnot, that are out now, make this seem like more of a possibility. The creator should be happier with what can be made now.
repairtechjon Wrote:
> If we could get some more toys like the old 1/100
> HiMetal L-Gaim , that'd be great. What did Nagano
> think of that release?
>
> The quality of Bandai lines like Soul Spec, and
> whatnot, that are out now, make this seem like
> more of a possibility. The creator should be
> happier with what can be made now.

Well, clearly I can't know his mind, isn't there something from him in the booklet included with the Soul Spec L-Gaim toys or the RRR models?

Word is Nagano is an obsessive perfectionist. Recall, he did something like 2 pages of establishment sheets on how EXACTLY the knees of the L-Gaim work. I'm fairly sure his public 'face' would be "these are very nice and express the spirit of the show warmly" or something, but inside he might think "they got the hoses wrong and they missed the engraved lettering around the waist skirt armor and WHERE'S MA MUNY BIITCH!"

Or some such. :)
Ha! Steve, I don't have the modern Spec LGaim (Vincent?) to check the booklet notes for a frowny-faced message from Nagano, but this thread got me to pull down the HiMetal box, and, hmmm, the front painting illustration has a credit (in English) to Yoshiyuki Takani, and the more technical, see-through-to-the-guts illustration on the back is credited to Kouichi Miyajima. There's probably a mention of Nagano in the tons of Japanese text on the box, but I can't say for sure obviously.
Want me to scan the booklet that came with the SOC SPEC L-Gaim?

Oh, I wouldn't know what I was looking at anyway. Does it make mention of the creator, with notes from the show, like they do with most SOC releases? Any other mechs in the notes?
Anonymous User
I like the way Nagano's website has a special section just for his wife. I think that's sweet...
I hope that even if we get no toys of this (you already know that if any happen, they'll be by CM's or some new upstart and cost around $200) that at the very least we get some plastic models. Kotobukiya would probably be a good bet for it. I mean, they seem to be snatching up obscure mecha licenses left and right what with Border Break, Lost Planet, and now Broken Blade.
Koto is becoming an interesting player in my eyes. Instead of going the WAVE route of super expensive stuff they seem to have their sights set on affordable mass-produced products.

If I'm remembering right they did some nice plastic kits for Full Metal Panic, and they weren't $50 a pop.

*hehe* and of course WAVE and Koto were competing G-kit makers back in the day as well as competing retailers. So, it's like Bandai Vs. Takara all over again.
SteveH Wrote:
>
> Recall, he did something like 2 pages of
> establishment sheets on how EXACTLY the knees of
> the L-Gaim work.

Is it that they DON'T work?
Nah, kidding. But either the Soul Spec did it wrong, or Nagano is insane, because it's a more complex treatment than any of the kits of the L-Gaim (and I *think* more complex than the Hi-Metal or HCM) and it still seems totally counterintuitive.

-Paul Segal

SteveH Wrote:
>
> And Nagano has no 'embargo' on merchandising, he
> just wants complete control so it reflects his
> work. he, like Gainax, felt that the Garage Kit
> Industry was better for some things, more
> personal, more in touch with the 'soul', the
> connection between creator and the consumer. Then
> Gainax whored themselves out with Eva.

Things were weird back then. Remember the Great Garage Injection kits of the Eva units, produced by Volks Zoukei-Mura? They were majestic in a way, even if you had to trim the polycaps yourself.

The Wave FSS pla-kits were pretty nice. They did only have the engineering level of, say, the ZZ Gundam kits, with polycaps and some glue required, but the detail was flawless. Incredibly sharp, with engraved lines of miniscule thickness.
I believe the new generation of FSS plamo announced a while back is supposed to have snap-fit and color molding

Btw, about those Full Metal Panic kits mentioned in another post - I think they're by Aoshima, not Koto.

-Paul Segal

SteveH Wrote:

> *hehe* and of course WAVE and Koto were competing
> G-kit makers back in the day as well as competing
> retailers. So, it's like Bandai Vs. Takara all
> over again.

And looking at *those* shows that Koto's are much more accurate than Wave's, proportion-wise.
You know, I love FSS and by FSS I mean the manga not the abomination that is the FSS movie...Just awful...The tiny Gothic Made preview does nothing for me. At best I would say that it is too early to tell...
New ad. Movie will premiere this spring. FINALLY!

[www.animenewsnetwork.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer