Anyone else?

Posted by gaiking123 
I periodically have a dream the last 15 years or so being in the past going to a toy store and buying vintage toys in box at its original price. Actually I'm not even sure I'm in the past. The last one I had, I went to a store seeing boxes and boxes of Jumbo Machinders on a shelf and buying them all.

I'm not even sure they sold Japanese boxed Machinders here in the US back then.

Anyone else have this dream? I think I may need therapy.
Oh, not alone, no. I have had variations on that.

The main thing is I'm afraid of the 'butterfly effect' and the cascade of disrupting time. If I went back and bought a toy off the shelf, would that mean a child who would have otherwise gotten that toy, been inspired to become a great man by the power of Japanese 'cool' and instead without that toy turns out to be the new Hitler...well, that wouldn't be good at all, would it?

So my plan would be to contact a local 'jobber' before each toyfair, and instruct him to buy his normal orders, but on specific products to buy an EXTRA case (or two or more, depending) above his normal open-to-buy for me-I would make an excuse of 'random anon donations and secret Santa gift giving' or something because who ever heard of COLLECTING toys back in the '60s?

So by ordering toys I'm not denying anyone who was destined to buy them in a store and the only change I risk is making a toy line a greater success in the area (in wholesale terms).

And then there's my trips to Japan that results in finding vast lost 'deadstock' warehouses...
bt1
Yeah, I have similar such dreams, except in mine I'm naked and there is some sort of monkey involved (maybe a mecha gorilla, but not sure). Guess I'm beyond therapy at this point.
I have had multiple dreams where I stumble upon a little ma and pa shop that has an Iron Man line I've never heard of, with all sorts of armors that have never seen toys. It's weird.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
I get the godaikin dream every once in a while. You know, when they were on sale for $10 a pop at KB.. but then I go to pay for them, it's 1985 and I have 2010 money and the cashier thinks it's fake.
Anyone into the "hobby" has dreams like this...and I'm sure they're almost "healthy" and not at all psychotic...ahem! Not half-way as nutty as someone buying rows and rows of the SAME toy in mint condition to simulate a 70's store shelf (you know who you are and that you can still get HELP for this!...hah!).

Being at the cusp of 40 now, I bought US jumbos in the Chicago area at my local Toys R Us for $12 to $14 each or so, and remember the display being stacked twenty feet across and eight feet high! (no joke) Of course, I completely missed the die-cast stuff (How? I still don't know!) until a friend got one from a cousin in NY (Gaiking 2-in-1) from the old "Mr. Big Toyland" store, then I became obsessed. Would dream about getting that one and the transforming Raydeen, hitting flea markets and such for YEARS without luck.

Was fortunate enough to be employed at the age of 14 (paper route) leading to purchases of the pre-Godaikin Combattler and God Marz for about $30 each at Toy's R Us. Then the Godaikin CLEARANCE invasion, with such pick-ups as Voltes V for $60.00 at Rizzi Toys, Daimos for $20 at Enchanted Castle, along with the Sentai robots and carriers, most for about $20 to 30 each, etc. Never saw a Tetsujin 28, Changeman or Golion in a store though.

Then Chicago (St. Charles to be exact) began holding a semi-annual International Toy/Doll Show, which brought Japanese and French (all Goldorak stuff, inculding the DX set and European Jumbo!) dealers with tons of boxed Popy wares (pricey though!). Was lucky to find boxed US/Shogun Gaikings, Daimoses, Dangards, etc. over the years IN PERSON (no Ebay in the mid-90's!).

My point? Even with my good fortune in finding this stuff at those prices, I still pine for the chance to hitch a ride in the "way-back" machine and ravage the shelves of a late 70's toy store and gobble up the Shogun Action vehicles and Die Casts that I apparently missed out on. But for all of you in your early 30's now, you're probably thinking WHY ON EARTH DIDN'T YOU BUY G1 TRANSFORMERS BY THE CASE and hide them in the attic? Even then, given the sheer quantity of the diaclone cars in the US market, who would have ever thought that some would be worth over $1,000 in a mint box?

-Adam (Supersentai)

"Zelans...on Mount Saint Helens?!?"
@ Adam...heh...well I have slowed down on the GA51s since I have all the variants I know of.

Reminds me, I have to send Bazolar your way soon. Once I get back from Vietnam ( work trip I will)

I always have dreams like this. I hate waking up from them, the same way you hate waking up from any "good" dream. When I was living in Tokyo, I dreamed on more than one occasion finding old stores that had unopened stock for pennies on the dollar. When the rumor of a caseload of GA50s hit, I off and on had such dreams about finding dead stock Daikus. I still KICK myself for not buying from the case find back in 2006 when ebay had BINs of 5k for unopened c10 boxed true deadstock GA50s. For those who were smart enough to, my congrats and smoldering envy. ;-) I thought the price at the time was nut, but now not so much.

I remember the days when most of these robots were at retail and do regret not having the funds to buy most of it. I regret only having 150 bucks in High school to spend when Mr Big closed when Bazolars were 3.00 MIB and a DX Voltus went for 40.00. But a lot of the rarer stuff is also easier to find now because people actively seek it out to sell it. Who would want to go back to the early to mid 90s when some of the most common stuff commanded 3-4 times what it does now.Not me. The collector base has grown but also become more educated for the most part, so prices reflect that in my humble opinion.

But yeah a time machine to the early 70s would be pretty sweet. Hell I get all excited anytime I see a toy store in an old Godzilla movie and wonder what it must have been like. The only person I know personally who went to Japan in the 80s was Warren, and hearing his stories makes me swoon for sure. Heh

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2010 01:45PM by josh fraser.
WHY ON EARTH DIDN'T YOU BUY G1 TRANSFORMERS BY THE CASE>>>>

I at one time wanted to replicate the display of opened transformers behind a rectangular glass display case at this toy store called Toys International at the Glendale Galleria. They would display each of the cars and Transformers and if you wanted it, the guy would pull out a boxed one which was displayed behind him. One of my best memories was as a 5th grader, walking a mile or so to the store, telling the employee I wanted one of the autobot cars on display, him not having it boxed and having to have to sell me the displayed one.

At 12, I didn't have a job so I had to count on a small allowance to get the toys. Could never afford Godaikins, Bandai DX Macross Valkyries or even Optimus Prime or Megatron. Earlier in my life, my dad would buy me packaged Return of the Jedi figures but as I grew older, he bought less and less. Anything I wanted, I had to wait a month or so for to save my allowance. Unfortunately, by a year or two later, Nintendo was out and everyone wanted the next hot game and like every kid, I saved and spent my money on that.

Although I always wanted to create a display case not unlike the one I bought toys from as a kid, nowadays, I display stuff minimally, 1 or 2 toys on a counter usually next to the booze or the coffee table. For now, this hobby is sort of a secret obsession I guess.

Bazolars were 3.00 >>>>>

Was there an orange headed one in the bunch? JK

Also, I never went to a Toys R Us till I was well into Jr. High and never caught the wave of Japanese toys that hit those places. Did they ever carry the high end Macross Valkyries by Bandai? I'm curious about that.
gaiking123 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Also, I never went to a Toys R Us till I was well
> into Jr. High and never caught the wave of
> Japanese toys that hit those places. Did they ever
> carry the high end Macross Valkyries by Bandai?
> I'm curious about that.

No they only had the Robotech boxed SD valks (repackaged Bandais). Matchbox Voltron toys were on the shelf as well. But at the same time they did have the Gakken Henshin Robo boxed Mospeada stuff. I got my first Gakken large Rider Armor there.

When Children's Palace was winding down I remember seeing the large 1/35 Robotech Boxed Gakken Alpha triple changers for $9.90 each. Sadly I only bought one of them.
I need to get my dreams priorities straightened out...instead of dreaming of going back to the days of Pony Toy Go Round and getting these toys at retail, I should be dreaming about going to newstands circa 1938 and stock up on those Action Comics Number Ones!
H-man Wrote:
> I need to get my dreams priorities straightened
> out...instead of dreaming of going back to the
> days of Pony Toy Go Round and getting these toys
> at retail, I should be dreaming about going to
> newstands circa 1938 and stock up on those Action
> Comics Number Ones!

Yeah a million bucks is a lot . I wonder if those sitting on the other few that are in c8 shape will sell now.
I used to have dreams like this all the time when I was younger. These days I'm so sleep deprived that I rarely dream. When I do, I remember nothing of what I dreamed, but back when I did, I would frequently find Star Wars/GI Joe/Godzilla toys that never existed at a "local" Toys R Us, or whatever. In my mind they were far cooler looking than most of what was actually released.

I never had dreams about gokin or other giant robot toys because, for the most part, they just weren't sold in my area. Only one store that I was ever aware of even had Godaikins (a local comic book store), and then it was just Vavilos, Gardian, and Goggle V. They also had an old L-Gaim toy. I managed to actually buy the lot of them using leaf-raking money, and would have killed for more, but that was the end of the supply. Unfortunately, they all got played with fairly heavily by my brothers and I. Nary a bit remains. By this point (age 15 maybe), my dreams were headed in a different direction anyway...

More serious than thou
fujikuro Wrote:
By this point (age 15 maybe), my dreams
> were headed in a different direction anyway...

Zombie apocalypse?

Oh, I know. The kind when you wake up, you have to change your shorts.
machinesoldier Wrote:
> fujikuro Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> By this point (age 15 maybe), my dreams
> > were headed in a different direction anyway...
>
>
> Zombie apocalypse?
>
> Oh, I know. The kind when you wake up, you have to
> change your shorts.

Not me. Zombies just ain't that sexy.

More serious than thou
I've had this dream as well, and since *I'm* clearly normal, I'll assume it's a normal dream. I still firmly believe I'll walk into a discount chain and score some long lost cool.

I actually had a real-life situation that was very much like a dream scenario: I was riding by some shop of indoor stalls and we pulled up to a light. Looking over I clearly saw a stack of large Mospeada Scott Bernards - maybe 10 to 15 boxes stacked on the floor and a hand-scrawled sign that read "$15 each." I quickly noted the location in case I could get back there, but the situation was such that stopping and making a purchase, or even going back later was impossible. Weird.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer