[OFFICIAL] Iron Man 2 movie/toy thread

Posted by Sanjeev 
asterphage Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [www.toysrus.com]
> =4376188
>
> OH GOD WHY DID THEY DO THIS

I believe the reason it costs so much is because it's woven from the the hair of newborn orphans.

You were going crazy about the price, right?
For that kind of spondulicks, it should be woven out of the hair of Robert Downey Jr. himself!
Or at least have some resemblance to the actual goatee he sports in the movie.

So, I'm the only one excited about drone figures?

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
asterphage Wrote:
> So, I'm the only one excited about drone figures?

Naw, the drones look awesome. And the armored Whipass looks awesome, too. But the pegs around town are so damn filthy with Pantone Iron Men that it's practically a guarantee that I'll never see any of the drones in the wild.

I never understood how a line of boys' action figures could be run entirely without villains. Who the fuck is the hero supposed to fight? Himself? Isn't that too existential for kids to wrap their heads around? Yet it's been that way for ages. We get dozens of hero variations for every one villain. For a conflict-driven play pattern it sure doesn't create a lot of conflict. Maybe Hasbro should have skipped the drones and just packed properly scaled Stolichnaya bottles with all those Iron Mens instead.
Gcrush Wrote:
>
> And the armored Whipass looks awesome, too.

The whowhatwhere??? I haven't seen ANYTHING about a figure of Whiplash in his armor suit from the final battle. The one from the Target-exclusive three-pack is the racetrack Whiplash, to go with the suitcase-armor Iron Man, and the "Weapon Assault Drone" I linked on Hasbrotoyshop is, of course, a drone.

-Paul Segal

asterphage Wrote:
> Gcrush Wrote:
> >
> > And the armored Whipass looks awesome, too.
>
> The whowhatwhere???

So, there's at least four drones - the blue navy/missile thing, the tan army/guns thing, the silver airforce/nothing thing, and the green (?)/whip thing. As far as I know. The armored Whipass is basically the green drone with new paint and a new head. In a word - awesome. But probably packed one per ten cases, all of which are destined for places like Big Lots because Wal-Mart and Target passed on new skews because their shelves were still dirty with Iron Menses.

Oh, there's another three pack that has Black Widow in it, too. And a couple of new versions of War Machine and Iron Man, two armored and two without helmets. I'd post pics of those except, well, you'll probably see them rotting on the pegs in a couple of months. Meh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2010 08:15AM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - whipass momma.JPG (148.9 KB)
open | download - whipass.JPG (180 KB)
Gcrush Wrote:
>
> So, there's at least four drones - the blue
> navy/missile thing, the tan army/guns thing, the
> silver airforce/nothing thing,

Actually it has a jetpack. Ehhh.

> and the green (?)/whip thing.
> As far as I know. The armored
> Whipass is basically the green drone with new
> paint and a new head. In a word - awesome.

WHOAAA. Totally not movie accurate (didn't he have samurai-style armor skirts in the final fight?), but it looks really cool, so I'ma buy one. In fact, doesn't that look like it's actually based on the Hammer suit PROTOTYPE, the one that Mickey ripped the head off of and made Sam Rockwell all mad? (EDIT: and before that it was the suit that spins that poor bastard's torso around) I have no idea why they would give it whips.

Random: They're making some unposable minifigure of a skinny, lime green Hammer drone. I have no idea what Hasbro is thinking anymore.
[www.articulateddiscussion.com]

> Oh, there's another three pack that has Black
> Widow in it, too. And a couple of new versions of
> War Machine and Iron Man, two armored and two
> without helmets. I'd post pics of those except,
> well, you'll probably see them rotting on the pegs
> in a couple of months. Meh.

Yeah, I do not feel the need for a Black Widow figure. If I want a generic action girl with no personality to sit on Nick Fury's lap, I've already got a GI Joe movie Baroness.

You know what I want them to make? Tony and Pepper in business attire. I would buy a twelve pack with seven repaints of the Mk.IV if it also included office wear Tony and Pepper.

-Paul Segal

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2010 03:08PM by asterphage.
asterphage Wrote:
> WHOAAA. Totally not movie accurate (didn't he have
> samurai-style armor skirts in the final fight?),
> but it looks really cool, so I'ma buy one. In
> fact, doesn't that look like it's actually based
> on the Hammer suit PROTOTYPE, the one that Mickey
> ripped the head off of and made Sam Rockwell all
> mad? (EDIT: and before that it was the suit that
> spins that poor bastard's torso around) I have no
> idea why they would give it whips.

Yeah, it's not the least bit accurate. It's not easy to find still shots of that armor on the nets. Maybe because that scene in the movie lasted all of three seconds. Who knows. Anyway. Here is what I gots:

They definitely did not get the "skirt" right. Cheapskates.

> Random: They're making some unposable minifigure
> of a skinny, lime green Hammer drone. I have no
> idea what Hasbro is thinking anymore.
> [www.articulateddiscussion.com]
> ture=2010%2f7%2fDSC_5242.JPG

Yeah, those were sold in Canada and in Dollar General-ish stores. I remember when The Phantom Menace came out Hasbro produced these budget action figures for overseas markets. Except that, you know, they weren't budget priced. It was a real what-the-fuck idea.

> You know what I want them to make? Tony and Pepper
> in business attire. I would buy a twelve pack with
> seven repaints of the Mk.IV if it also included
> office wear Tony and Pepper.

I'm not sure about Pepper, but the SDCC Movie Destro from 2009 already has the pitch-perfect body for that. All they need to do is slap the unmasked Tony head on it and BOOM. Pure glory.

I'dve bought a half dozen of those Destrons if they weren't overpriced convention goods.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2010 10:13PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - 11074L.jpg (61.7 KB)
open | download - e1minigiftbox.jpg (88.9 KB)
open | download - jamesmccullenxxiv.jpg (28.6 KB)
Gcrush Wrote:
>
> They definitely did not get the "skirt" right.
> Cheapskates.

And note that that render or whatever of the final battle Whiplash suit has a square-ish helmet based on the drones' sensor-obelisk-heads. The figure has a big round dome helmet... between that and the Hammer decals and caution stripes and crash-test-dummy quartered circles, I'm definitely just going to go with the belief that that figure really represents the pre-drone prototype suit.

> Yeah, those were sold in Canada and in Dollar
> General-ish stores.

I've seen just the Iron Man and War Machine from that line. God knows why they're producing a wildly inaccurate drone in a line of impulse-buy items directed at kids and busy parents. If I see one, I'll probably still buy it, though, because I am all about childish impulses.

> I remember when The Phantom
> Menace came out Hasbro produced these budget
> action figures for overseas markets. Except that,
> you know, they weren't budget priced. It was a
> real what-the-fuck idea.

The one cool thing they did with those was package the European releases of the regular figures with a low-articulation battle droid, so that every good guy came with a bad guy, every bad guy came with a henchman, and if you bought the whole line you'd end up with an actual droid army.

> I'm not sure about Pepper, but the SDCC Movie
> Destro from 2009 already has the pitch-perfect
> body for that. All they need to do is slap the
> unmasked Tony head on it and BOOM. Pure glory.
>
> I'dve bought a half dozen of those Destrons if
> they weren't overpriced convention goods.

Haha, I still need that Destro. Pre-crazy James McCullen was one of the best parts of that movie.
I'd rather have an official Tony, though. I feel like his taste in suits is slightly different.
Are they even doing a proper unmasked Tony in the small figure line? Or just one with the faceplate up on the helmet?
I saw pics of a helmetless, sunglassed "party" Tony, but I believe that's one of those 6" store-exclusive figures.

-Paul Segal

asterphage Wrote:
> And note that that render or whatever of the final
> battle Whiplash suit has a square-ish helmet based
> on the drones' sensor-obelisk-heads. The figure
> has a big round dome helmet... between that and
> the Hammer decals and caution stripes and
> crash-test-dummy quartered circles, I'm definitely
> just going to go with the belief that that figure
> really represents the pre-drone prototype suit.

I'm pretty sure the figure was labeled Whipass at the SDCC booth. Still, it would nice to get a more accurate figure.

> Are they even doing a proper unmasked Tony in the
> small figure line? Or just one with the faceplate
> up on the helmet?

It came up at some point, but I have no idea if they will be exclusives or not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2010 10:49PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - iron man unmasked.jpg (39.7 KB)
You do realize that figure isn't Whiplash, right? It's the unmodified version of Hammer's powered armor suit. That's why there's no skirt or squarish head. Not to mention all the markings.
Yeah, I hear you on the lack of cool drone toys.
At the TRU Iron Man rack, there's of course 5 bazillion various Iron Men, in all sizes, but you'd think somewhere on those pegs there would be at least ONE variant, Drone figure in the standard 3 3/4" size, but nope.

Only ones were the Air, and Land drones packed in the MiniMates 2 packs. Those are actually cool looking to me, but a just a regular figure would be nice, in normal, single packed, non-exclusive format.
I finally completed my wave 2 set, having found a hulkbuster iron man. I think these things were supposed to be out months ago, but the wave 1 stuff dominated the pegs (and still does). Are the single carded whiplashes supposed to be out in this wave too?

Target has started putting out that exclusive whiplash/black widow/suitcase iron man/sea drone set for 20 bucks (though when I picked it up this morning it was not in the system yet). That'll probably be the only whiplash I'll ever see, so I picked it up. I did get the TRU set with the two drones... the drones in that set were a disappointment being identical and having floppy weapons, but the Nick Fury apparently uses a GI Joe body so it's decent.

It's amazing to me that the same company puts out this, those Marvel Universe toys, and GI Joes in the same scale but with such wildly varying QC among the different lines. The Marvel stuff is plagued with ugly sculpts and terrible paint jobs, the Iron Man toys are a step above that, but the GI Joe figures just blow both of these series out of the water when it comes to sculpt, detail, paint jobs and most of all accessories.
Sanjeev (Admin)
...Not to mention Star Wars figures, which I hear are done at least as well as the GI Joe figures. But, yeah, the spotty QC and questionable sculpts/designs has mostly kept me away from the IM 3-3/4" figures...
I just picked up a Hulkbuster myself (my first fig from this toyline) but haven't opened it yet. Frankly I'm thinking about returning it... but is it any good?
Sanjeev Wrote:
> ...Not to mention Star Wars figures, which I hear
> are done at least as well as the GI Joe figures.
> But, yeah, the spotty QC and questionable
> sculpts/designs has mostly kept me away from the
> IM 3-3/4" figures...

I haven't picked up a GI Joe figure in a long time, but then I saw a couple at the store the other day that caught my eye. Crazy thing is, the amount of accessories weighed more than the figure! I was impressed with the amount of quality and detail Hasbro packed in to a $6 figure. It's nutz.

I also picked up the two drone-ish packs at TRU and Target. The drones are booty. Bad booty. All the joints aside from the neck, shoulders, and chest are about worthless. The figures can stand at attention and not much else. Oddly, the pic of the Naval drone on the back of the box is different than the figure they actually included - the photo model has more original parts while the production figure has more recycled parts. Lame.

The other figures though... The TRU MKVI has better paint than the single carded figure. The Nick Fury figure is pretty badass aside from the goofy coat, but the neck on mine is black. As in, jet black unpainted plastic. Meh. The Target MKIV has better paint than the single carded release and a different head sculpt. The whiplash figure is the same, but the whips are different and better.

All the figures had some QC problems and felt cheap compared to recent Star Wars and the Joes I picked up. Dirty cash-grab on a movie license. This is what happens when action figure tie-ins have such short shelf-lives. Makes the Star Wars and Joe lines seem even more remarkable in comparison.
Reviving a 2-month dead thread...all zombified and shit!

Gcrush:

The joints on the drones (at least the aerial one) are actually better than you think! I'm thinking they put the toys together very soon after painting them and then they were probably exposed to heat and cold causing swelling and stuff and generally making them stick together badly...so you need to BREAK the stickiness. Here are the joints:

neck (ball and socket)

shoulder (rotates laterally and around)

elbow (the worst!! - there are 3 joints here, it rotates above the elbow, the elbow bends, AND it rotates below the elbow...but this is a hard one to break, the right arm on my aerial drone still has the elbow bending the wrong way)

wrist (ball and socket)

hip (similar to the shoulder - it has this weird rotational peg in the middle of the hip, it allows for wide stances, there is also side-to-side rotation in this joint)

top of the thigh (this is a hard one to break, but once you do, it allows for a LOT more movement)

knee (froppy)

ankle (ball and socket)

Have fun breaking all the stuck rubbery stuff without breaking the toy...my next post is a total rant...sorry...
Ok, so here was the real reason for reviving this thread...to bitch.

Yeah, so I'm lame and was so jaded by the (IMO) lame X-Men and Spiderman Marvel films that I hadn't bothered seeing anything by Marvel since. No Hulk, no Iron Man. My bad. Iron Man was pretty good. Both of them. I watched both for the first time on Tuesday and fell in love with the War Machine design and decided I wanted a toy of it. After searching the web and the stores (some 6 months after the movie came out...yet the pegs are still crowded with toys), I have to ask the question...

Is Hasbro REALLY this dumb?

1. Giant, crappy, limited-posability ABS...

I love robot TOYS, less so robot figures. I like nice hard ABS the best. So aside from the Hot Toys 1/6 War Machine (which is very pretty, but I want something I don't have to worry about leaving on my desk at work), I first looked at the 10" Walmart set of the Mk VI and War Machine. They look good, but they don't look pose-able for jack. Shoulders only have rotation, no lateral movement. No elbow rotation, only bending. No hip rotation? For $30, I expect better. And Cheadle's voice on War Machine is weak.

2. Store exclusives...

What a great way to screw the fans. IMO the crown jewel of the line is the 6" figures. These things retailed for a massive $13 and have tons of poseability, but are found only at Walmart? So 6 months after the release the War Machines are long gone and the 6-7 Walmarts I've checked are littered with Mk V...which saw what, 5 min of screen time? War Machine and the drones pretty much stole the show in Iron Man 2 (JMO), yet we are left with scores of the Mk V. I don't think Hasbro really has a grip on how to market this stuff or to what is most popular. I know these are straw-man arguments...but its like releasing the Autobots without the Decepticons (or only putting them out in limited numbers). Then making two of the drones store-exclusives to Target and TRU by making us by other figures we may already have??? WEAK!!! Was it ever this hard to find stormtroopers?

3. Non-movie figures in a movie line...

At least with the Bayformers when Hasbro created a new figure that didn't appear in the film, the figure was either originally in the script and cut, showed up in some back-story comic or whatever OR was a vehicle that appears in the film that wasn't a transformer (for most of them).

For Iron man, most of the 3-3/4 figures littering the pegs have NOTHING to do with the movie. I guess they just wanted to create as many red/silver/gold toys as they could so parents would think "Hey, Bobby wants an Iron Man toy, and here one is..." All the while shortchanging us on the awesome armors from the movie. In toy stores the pegs are brimming over with red/gold figures that were NOT in the movie and you have to dig for the occasional jewel that was in the movie (War Machine, Mk VI, Drones (which I've already ranted about in the store exclusives)). We also have no figures for the women...again...weak.

4. Lastly, why did the 3-3/4 War Machine not come with a rocket launcher?

The shoulder rocket launcher, seriously? The big gimmick chain-gun/missile launcher is fine, but why not package it with a 1/2" x 1/2" piece of plastic to be the rocket launcher?
Has there been any news on whether a 30" Iron Man will be available in the future?

Like the Batman and Superman 30" figures.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2010 09:58PM by Giantbluerobot.
Anonymous User
easnodddy3 Wrote:
>
... We also have no
> figures for the women...again...weak.
>
>

Because what Bobby wants even more than a 6th version of War Machine is a figure of Pepper Potts. Amirite??
Sanjeev (Admin)
Somewhere...Gwyneth Paltrow is crying.
Anonymous User
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Somewhere...Gwyneth Paltrow is crying.

Her guest appearance in Glee wasn't THAT bad. Oh wait. What were you talking about?
#3 is wrong. The Comic series has been the best part of the Iron Man 2 line. We've gotten a huge number of important and iconic Iron Man suits and characters that have either never gotten a toy, or never gotten an acceptable toy before. Neo Classic red and gold suit? Sign me up! Fucking classic Titanium Man and Crimson Dynamo? I'm hard. Real Iron Monger? Say it ain't so! Iron Man 2020? Now you're just being ridiculous, and I LOVE it. A proper to of the gorgeous Ultimate Iron Man suit? It almost can't get any better. The only one I'll sit pining for is the Heroes Reborn Prometheum suit. We got the undersized Marvel Legends one which was gorgeous, but one in the new standard scale would be tiiiiiiits! Like, never need another Iron Man toy good.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Hey, if Hasbro is gonna make a Meagan Fox why not a Pepper Potts? Or a Happy/Pepper set. Or a Black Widow/Nick Fury set? DOubt I'd buy any of them cause I'm just in it for robots and armors.

Anyways, why not spin off another toy line to handle the incarnations of Iron Man and villans and whatnot? Especially when the suits from the movie didn't get much love (in terms of numbers). A spin-off line that can last beyond the popularity of a movie toy run (usually less than a year).

Finally found a weapon assault drone...at a K-Mart. It is the marine drone from the movie, though without the camo or tampo printing. Found the concept art:

[www.flickr.com]

Also, that ugly silver one is the concept drone:

[www.flickr.com]

I also saw the KMart exclusive set (Hulkbuster, holographic Iron Man, camo War Machine). Of course the camo War Machine comes with the shoulder missiles.

I also picked up the Walmart exlcusive 6" Mk V and Mk VI. Poseability is a little disappointing, especially on the Mk V. Can't do much with the hips on the Mk V. Elbows and knees are double-jointed. He can't even kneel though. The Mk VI is very nice though. At least 22 points of articulation by my count. Hopefully the 6" War Machine is as nice. Now to get the War Machine, sea, and ground drones on ebay.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2010 02:24PM by easnodddy3.
easnodddy3 Wrote:
> Hey, if Hasbro is gonna make a Meagan Fox why not
> a Pepper Potts?

Where is the Hasbro Megan Fox toy?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2010 11:09AM by Scopedog.
Attachments:
open | download - human-alliance-skids-arcee-mikaela-wave-3.jpg (292.4 KB)
That's a Megan Fox toy? That's a Transformer robutt with a Megan Fox accessory.

Nobody bought MASK toys for the pilots.
Sanjeev (Admin)
I dunno, dude...the whole "Human Alliance" thing is that they come with in-scale characters from the movie. That's never really been done since the Diaclone Car Robots came with their inchmen pilots...so it's kinda revolutionary (or a "return to their roots"?).

And how cool the characters were in the cartoon most definitely influenced what MASK toys me and my friends bought as kids. Like, no one wanted Bruce Sato 'cause he talked like a fortune cookie.
Hey, last weekend in FL, I stopped in an antique mall, and picked up a MASK figure from a box of toys, and I didn't even get a vehicle with it!! Craaaaazzytown I tell ya!
Did it cost more or less than a dinner at Red Lobster, though? That's the question.
Roger Wrote:
> Did it cost more or less than a dinner at Red
> Lobster, though? That's the question.

For one or for 2? Doesn't taste as good as the biscuits.
I still hate those shitty Michael Bay movies, but I'm not gonna lie, I bought a couple of Human Alliance toys. I really dig the little pilot figure in the cars. It's part of why I like Diaclone.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
[www.collectiondx.com]

Whiplash bettah.

[prometheusrising.net]
Nice boobs. Does it have a realistic representation of her toe thumb?

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
I picked up a Hammer Drone. It looks exactly like the prototype.

This is good because it looks good. This is bad because the articulation still sucks. 50/50.

Review on CDX soon. The level of discussion on Hot Toys' quality is going to reach a new level of gush and hyperbole with this one, because they've somehow managed to outdo themselves again. War Machine was an almost perfect figure, minus some missing markings, but this Iron Man is just sublime. Makes the much-praised first movie figure look like amateur hour.

[prometheusrising.net]

Review tonight, I think.

[prometheusrising.net]
Cool. Looking forward to the review.

Just picked up the 6" Iron Man 2 trio. (6" War Machine and Mark VI are currently being repackaged and re-released under the Armored Avenger banner). As a cost-conscious alternative, they more than do the trick. Amazed at the amount of detail and value to these figures for the price. They all come with interchangeable hands, Kaiyodo-style. Really nice touch.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2011 08:46PM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - Iron Man Group.jpg (97.2 KB)
open | download - Iron Man Mark V c.jpg (88.3 KB)
Nice. I still need that MkV. Looks like it really needs a blackwash to pick out the details.

[prometheusrising.net]
[www.collectiondx.com]

Best. Evarr.

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
No batteries for the light-up stand?

FAIL.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer