[OFFICIAL] Iron Man 2 movie/toy thread

Posted by Sanjeev 
Sanjeev (Admin)
Ah...not stocked yet...I guess that makes sense. Doesn't stocking usually happens after (or before) hours? I mean, why put the pegs out and leave them empty?

Eh well.

All I'm really interested in is the Tri-Armor set, but the Megabloks website says NONE of their Iron Man 2 toys are out yet...which obviously can't be. Eriku, Marasai, did you guys see the bigger magnetic sets, or only the smaller Lego-ish building sets?
I saw both, plus the really big articulated figures that weren't magnetic.
I haven't seen the magnetic sets yet. And I've been looking, because that tri-armor case is my Iron Man mini-grail at the moment. All I've seen at TRU so far is the regular minifig sets and the larger build-it-yourself figures. I haven't seen any Iron Man Megablocks toys at Target or WalMart yet.
Saw a new 10" Iron Man today with lights and sounds similar to the Repulsor Blast figure from the first movie. Looks a bit smaller, but a little more detailed and possibly more articulation.
Doughty surprised me the other day with a Comic Series Crimson Dynamo he had snagged, and both the gesture and toy are just amazing. This Dynamo figure is everything I have ever wanted from a Dynamo figure, and something we've desperately needed for a long time. The sculpting is 100% perfect spot-on Armor Wars/80's era Dynamo (Yuri Petrovich)... this is really the suit that saw Iron Man kill the Titanium Man (the Gremlin). Words cannot express how in love with this figure I am... it's hefty and huge and well-scaled to the 3 3/4" figures, has some great articulation, and a meaty sculpted fist that looks great mid-cold-clocking another figure. Even the paint is flawless, with a combination of dark glossy almost burgendy-red and a matte finish on the heavier-armored gauntlets and shoulder pads and whatnot. Doughty and I even discussed a cool potential custom worth grabbing another for... All I can say for now is, I am so very completely psyched for the matching Titanium Man previewed for release, and am now really going to be waiting impatiently for a new MU-scale Silver Centurion shellhead.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.

Tales of Suspense is some really great stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2010 01:36PM by VF5SS.
Attachments:
open | download - tonyr.jpg (37.1 KB)
Anonymous User
People have begun finding the Megabloks briefcase set and the individual magnetic IM2 sets at TRU. Let the hunt begin.

I also take back whatever criticism I may have given the 3.75" line. I agree with Ben's above comments on Crimson Dynamo completely. The figure just fits perfectly in your hand and is surprisingly heavy. Sadly, however, the hip joints are frozen on my guy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2010 04:57PM by akum6n.
Damn, I actually held the Crimson Dynamo in my hand the other day at Target but put it back on the peg due to my general dislike of the toyline...so I should go back and seek it out again?
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yes, absolutely.

I've been meaning to post, but I picked up War Machine from the Iron Man 2 "Comic" line (the same subset the Crimson Dynamo comes from). It's pretty sweet...but not without its flaws. I'll take some pics and post them shortly...

And thanks for the heads up on the Megabloks stuff, Daniel. It's funny--those toys have been on the Target website for over a week, but just the other day, I went to a couple Targets in the area...ZIP. The War Machine 3-3/4" fig was a nice consolation prize, though!
I really like the Concept Armors in the 3.75 inch series, particularly the Deep Dive and HyperVelocity armors. They are straight up awesome sculpts. I had no intention to buy this line before I saw them. Plus they are on sale at TRU @ 2 for $10.99 thru Saturday. I can live with $5.50 a figure.

BTW I thought I remembered seeing a sweet 3.75 inch scale Hulkbuster armor in the Toyfair pictures but now can't seem to find it. I don't remember if it was in the IronMan 2 line or Marvel Universe. Anyone have a link?
Anonymous User
@glane- Hulkbuster seems to be in the IM2 line. Here's the gallery from ASMZine:

[toyfair10.asmzine.com]

I haven't seen these in stores yet, but I had the two 8" 'vinyl' figures on preorder. They came in today.

The IM is interesting- more like ABS plastic armor over a vinyl core. I couldn't actually find exposed vinyl bits.

This is War Machine:

WM has much more of a Bandai matte vinyl feel than IM. The sculpt is very crisp and technical- back weapons are on pivots and can be retracted. Not much articulation, but it displays well and feels like a nice, solid toy in your hand. Seems like a fun toy to give kids if the 3.75" figures would be too fragile, but for the same reason, they are probably not for most collectors (unless you are an IM nut).

I ended up buying these online because they are sold in open "hey kids touch this toy" packaging. Something to think about.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, Greg, it would appear that the Hulk Buster is going to be part of the same Iron Man 2 "Comic" series the War Machine I got comes from:

It's obviously styled quite a bit differently from the movie WM adaptation, but I've always loved the comic look.

Now, I'm definitely NOT an action figure collector, so I'm already sorta biased against toys like this...so take what I say with a grain of salt. This figure looks badass, but I kinda can't stand most modern 3-3/4" action figures from Hasbro. They're made of soft, rubbery PVC that just doesn't feel that good in my hands. I miss the rigid ABS of the 80's Joe's.

Sure, the sculpt and proportions on Hasbro's modern figs is absolutely top-notch, but the QC on the paint is a little spotty (I had to rummage through a few of these figures to find the one with the least messy face)...and there's the inevitable loose-as-fuck joint or two. On my figure, the left shoulder armor piece pops off if you look at it funny...and the left upper thigh is super loose where it connects to the hip Revoltech-like joint.

The articulation is...weird. Like, the shoulder weapons are fine, but the main figure is kinda meh. It's as though they wanted to maximize looking good over posability. :/

For example, the shoulder pauldrons just hinge outwards...so they look right only if the arms are down by his side or pointing straight out to the side. If his arms point straight forward, it looks really awkward. Also, the knees are double-jointed, which is great, but the ankles are mostly immobile, and the friggin hips only tilt forward about 45 degrees (and back only about 10)...so the knees are wasted (forget kneeling poses). The head only slightly turns left and right (doesn't tilt up or down)...and the chest joint is absurd (it's there, but doesn't really move).

Gotta say though, the effects parts are pretty neat. I've never had a toy with such things, and while I don't particularly love them, they're a neat touch. They stole this idea from Revoltechs, right?

Lastly, it comes with a stand (which I apparently failed to photograph) and three "armor cards": one opaque white card, and two clear ones that fit over to complete an image of the armor:

Pretty neat--plus, they fit into a slot on the stand. Beats me what the code along the side's for, though...

Anyway, whether or not you like this toy obviously comes down to whether or not you normally collect modern 3-3/4" action figures. I don't, so I have various beefs with it, but for $5.99, all in all, not a bad purchase...and a nice consolation for not having found the Megabloks toys!
The MegaBlocks suitcase is definitely out. Saw about a half dozen of them at my TRU today. Can't wait to crack it open later.
akum6n Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I haven't seen these in stores yet, but I had the
> two 8" 'vinyl' figures on preorder. They came in
> today.
>
> The IM is interesting- more like ABS plastic armor
> over a vinyl core. I couldn't actually find
> exposed vinyl bits.

> WM has much more of a Bandai matte vinyl feel than
> IM. The sculpt is very crisp and technical- back
> weapons are on pivots and can be retracted. Not
> much articulation, but it displays well and feels
> like a nice, solid toy in your hand. Seems like a
> fun toy to give kids if the 3.75" figures would be
> too fragile, but for the same reason, they are
> probably not for most collectors (unless you are
> an IM nut).
>
> I ended up buying these online because they are
> sold in open "hey kids touch this toy" packaging.
> Something to think about.

Thanks for the pics -- I hadn't seen MW yet! Really digging these, may have to pick them up (whether sanitary or not).

Best,
--Ken-A
Couldn't resist picking up a WM in the toystore today. Was neat to see they also had the old style bright red/yellow comic style IronMan in that 3 3/4 line.

Couldn't help thinking that Crimson Dynamo is the closest looking thing to a modern Maximilian (Black Hole) toy.
Found some MegaBloks stuff at K-Mart now, too.

Thanks to Eriku's pics, picked up the little Mark IV Aerial Assult set, and the Assault Drone base. Has a console/launch base, and a cute zipstring-&-pulley gimmick, to fly, like the Hall of Armors set does, but for only $6, it's a nice build set buy.

And yes, the Hall of Armors gets you the Mark II, and Mark VI minifigs.

..the magnetic fig discussion on the first page of this thread makes me dizzy...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2010 06:50PM by repairtechjon.
There's going to be a 6" Mark V (suitcase) Ironman fig released as well with extra hands and other accs. [www.toyark.com]
Did someone say War Machine....oh yeah...
Attachments:
open | download - 1003151456be993fbee8dd3dc2.jpg (85.4 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Why...yes I did! And that looks in-fucking-credible!

In fact, I got some more WM, myself!

Okay, but before I begin, I gotta say...I'm an idiot! When I made the first post in this thread showing off all the Mega Bloks stuff that interested me, I was going by just those pics and their official press releases.

Well, as it turns out, either the wording of releases was off or I misinterpreted it: it turns out that what I thought were the "standard magnemo" figures are actually the same type of figure as the "magnemo armor" set (the Tri-Armor Suitcase)!

I'm sure most of you guys knew this already, but I'm just surprised no one corrected me! :P

Anyway, I hit up TRU last Friday night...and they had no Tri-Armor Suitcase. BUT my "consolation prize" was what I thought was the "standard magnemo" War Machine. Well, when I got home and opened it up, I realized it was an endoskeleton figure you build...then attach armor to...just like the Tri-Armor set was supposed to be!

So, yes, they're all in the same series and they're all compatible. For the final tally, we have an individually-packed Iron Man Mk VI, War Machine, and drone, plus the Tri-Armor Suitcase. All the endoskeleton figures should be the same (just in different colors), and all six armor sets should be fully compatible with the figures and each other.

So are they any good? Let's see...

Compact box. I like. $10 toy...I like even more.

Simple-as-hell one-sheet instructions--even a kid could follow them. Waitaminute...

The endoskeleton parts are all in one plastic baggie; the armor parts are in another. It takes seconds to assemble the figure...

The posability's great, but only the neck, shoulders, and waist are actually magnetic. The shoulders are brilliant, actually: there's a magnet embedded in the chest, and it obviously links with the big metal ball-bearing in the shoulder. What's cool is that the "socket" of the shoulder is actually made of soft rubber, so it's nice and grippy! So, while the magnet's weak as fuck (because you can't have strong magnets used in toys for health reasons), the joint is actually quite stable!

Now, the figure's not without its flaws. For some dumb fuck of a reason, they chose NOT to use the *same* rubber socket concept with the neck joint. It's the same metal bearing and all that...they could have put the rubber there to stabilize the head...but no. As a result, the head's pretty floppy (almost comically so!). It's a bit of a bitch to pose because of it--you even look at the head funny, and it pops over to some other position.

Also, that huge ball bearing in the chest? It's just suspended there between the neck and waist magnets...and it does nothing but add weight to the figure and look cool when he's naked.

Lastly, the pelvis links to the torso via magnet--but it's not a ball joint. It just swivels...pretty damn loosely.

Everything below the waist joint is non-magnetic. The hips and ankles are ball joints a la Bionicle. The knees just swivel. Same thing with the elbows. The hands are denser rubber and are ball-jointed. Very nicely done, actually...it's just too bad he doesn't need them to hold anything!

Now, here's what I consider the saddest part of the toy: none of the armor actually attaches magnetically. Oh, it all attaches very securely and most of the original articulation is maintained...but it sure woulda been nice if there was metal in the armor and each piece snapped on via magnets in the body...

Anyway, here's how he looks:

Looks great, huh?

Another nitpick: the shoulder weapons attach via a VERY simple peg. So, they just sorta rotate side to side, kinda loosely. Combined with the somewhat floppy head, it can be kinda annoying.

Oh, and it doesn't bother me much, but from the back, he looks pretty naked:

The helmet's pretty neat: it clasps around the "ears" of the endoskeleton head, and can sorta click up and down into different positions:

Yeah, it's totally a grey Terminator!

And like I said before, even with the armor on, the majority of the posability is maintained. The 3-3/4" figure can't come close to this pose:

All in all, definitely worth $10. Still not 100% sure I'll get all six armors, but I'm quite pleased with this purchase.
Great pics. The back shot surprises me a bit... on the Halo ones the torso armor has both front and back parts. Otherwise it's a sweet figure, right?

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
What are the health concerns from using strong magnets? Would that be the reason the SOC Koutetsujin Jeeg toy is so damned floppy?

But back to the discussion. I LOVE the suitcase armour. I'll def be getting the megabloks ver of it.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well, I guess if a couple magnets become dislodged from a toy, and they get swallowed by a kid, they could be in two different parts of the intestines, sticking them together...causing infection and death.

Or something like that...
Nice shots Sanjeev! You sure got a lot done at work today, didn't ya now?
I've only seen the minifigs, and the big bionicle-style build-up figs, so these shots of the Magnet 6" is good incentive to fork over $10.Especially if there's an Assault Drone.
I picked up the the tri-armor suitcase and am definitely pleased with it. It's a pretty sweet package for $21.99 considering you get three sets of armor and a nice looking case to keep everything in. Sanjeev pretty much summed up my exact thoughts on these magnetic figures- Great figures, worth the money, but not perfect. The only thing that bugged me was the weak waist connection. The shoulders are weak, which should bug me, but those rubber cups make the articulation feel so slick that I can forgive it. Oh, and I didn't care about the lack of back armor at all but now that Prometheum5 mentioned the Halo figures have it, I feel a little cheated. I wonder if they skimped on the back armor to offset (what I assume to be) a higher licensing cost of the Iron Man franchise? In any case, it doesn't spoil the figure for me.

It's the endoskeleton that truly shines here anyway. I think Mega Blocks should take this idea and run with it. Tweak the figure a little by giving the neck a rubber socket and ditch the magnet for the waist (it adds zero play value and makes the figure weaker) and release a shit-ton of house-made non-license accessories to compliment it because the possibilities for weapons and armor add-ons is endless. Sell buck endos for five bucks in a variety of colors, sell weapons packs, armor packs, packs with different limbs like drill hands and claw arms. I would have killed for something like that when I was a kid.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Great call on that idea, eriku!

Rubber socket neck would be clutch, but I actually kinda like the waist joint. It doesn't add a ton, but it's a nice touch. Yeah, it's a really weak magnetic swivel, but if they replaced it with a plastic ball-and-socket, or at least some kind of stiffer plastic plug (swivel), that might be hot...

Anyway, the thought occurred to me the other day: I think the reason the magnetic Mega Bloks figures appeal to me so much is because they really feel like robot toys, as opposed to "action figures". An action figure is supposed to look accurate and be posable...and that's really it. A *robot toy* has mechanical gimmicks that add enough play value to extend beyond just looking good. The buildable endo, interchangable armor, and magnetic joints make this $10 toy SO much better than the $6 Hasbro action figure, in my opinion.
So, here's the question - the regular Megabloks toys are fragile as all hell. They fall apart at the merest touch regardless of what the theme is. For whatever reason they just can get the tight tolerances that Legos have. Now, that's for their brick toys. How are these compared to, say, the Bionicle figures? Do things stay tight, or are the typical looseness issues that Megabloks have with the rest of their toys plague these as well?

More serious than thou
For the magnetic figures, all of the standard joints and connection points on mine are nice and tight. Perfect for standing on one foot and all other manner of poses. The magnetic joints tend to be a little loose, but thats a different ball of wax.

As for the standard building-block figures, I only have one mini IM2 set and to be perfectly honest I thought it felt better than modern legos when I was putting the bricks together. The last Lego set I bought was a Clone Wars set from last year (got it for the little IG-88 droids inside) and that set made me really sad because half the bricks virtually slid apart after snapping them together. It was the first Lego set I assembled since I was a kid and it definitely wasn't the super-tight break-your-fingernail-off-trying-to-seperate-bricks experience I remember as a kid. This IM2 set I have holds together really well. I wont assume, however, that either of those tiny sets is indicitive of Lego and MegaBlocks as a whole.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2010 01:14PM by eriku.
eriku Wrote:
> For the magnetic figures, all of the standard
> joints and connection points on mine are nice and
> tight. Perfect for standing on one foot and all
> other manner of poses. The magnetic joints tend
> to be a little loose, but thats a different ball
> of wax.
>
> As for the standard building-block figures, I only
> have one mini IM2 set and to be perfectly honest I
> thought it felt better than modern legos when I
> was putting the bricks together. The last Lego
> set I bought was a Clone Wars set from last year
> (got it for the little IG-88 droids inside) and
> that set made me really sad because half the
> bricks virtually slid apart after snapping them
> together. It was the first Lego set I assembled
> since I was a kid and it definitely wasn't the
> super-tight
> break-your-fingernail-off-trying-to-seperate-brick
> s experience I remember as a kid. This IM2 set I
> have holds together really well. I wont assume,
> however, that either of those tiny sets is
> indicitive of Lego and MegaBlocks as a whole.

My experience has been the opposite. I don't have that IG-88 droid set (looked, oddly, a bit flimsy and uninteresting to me), but it's just about the only recent Star Wars Lego set I don't have. They are all nice and tight. Still busting fingernails trying to get plates apart. I bought a couple of those Halo sets from Megabloks and the kits wouldn't even hold together when just sitting at my desk. Every set I've ever bought from them over the years has been like that. Could be a coincidence, of course.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Huh. Interesting.

Well, I actually have no experience with Mega Bloks' building sets--just their minifigs--so I can't really comment about them versus traditional Lego building sets (well...the minifigs easily blow away Lego's).

I do have a few Bionicles, though...and in terms of pure build quality, I'd have to say that they're better than the Mega Bloks magnetic figures. For example, as mentioned before, the MB figure's head and waist joints are kinda loose. You'll never see a loose Bionicle (unless you over-build something too heavy for the joints to maintain).

But at the end of the day, I want the better toy. Like, yeah, my War Machine's neck joint is floppy due to lack of a rubber socket...but it's a friggin' magnetic joint! As pure toys, Bionicles, in my experience, have often been a bit disappointing. Articulated hips and ankles...but no knees? Sturdy as hell...but also kinda boring--once assembled, there's not a ton of play value. With the Mega Bloks magnetic figures, you not only put the figures together, but you get to play "dress up" with them (granted, the hyper-violent boys' version!).

Makes me wonder how the bigger Mega Bloks build-a-figures are...
fujikuro Wrote:
>
> My experience has been the opposite. I don't have
> that IG-88 droid set (looked, oddly, a bit flimsy
> and uninteresting to me), but it's just about the
> only recent Star Wars Lego set I don't have. They
> are all nice and tight. Still busting
> fingernails trying to get plates apart. I bought
> a couple of those Halo sets from Megabloks and the
> kits wouldn't even hold together when just sitting
> at my desk. Every set I've ever bought from them
> over the years has been like that. Could be a
> coincidence, of course.

I'm glad to hear Legos are still good. I guess that IG-88 set was a bad batch or something. I got what I needed from it though, which was the droid minifigs. :3

I've never put a MegaBlocks set together before (aside from the teensy IM2 set) and I doubt I'll put together any more. The joy of building blocks has, sadly, remained in the past with my childhood. Nowadays the lure for me is the minifigs and I'll gladly buy a few more IM2 sets for them.

As for the magnetic figures, I wonder how easy it would be to replace the magnets with stronger ones?
Sanjeev (Admin)
eriku Wrote:
> As for the magnetic figures, I wonder how easy it
> would be to replace the magnets with stronger
> ones?

Well, that's actually the *first* thing I wondered about!

Unfortunately, because of those safety standards, the magnets are completely embedded in the plastic framework of the torso. You could dremel them out and replace them, but that seems like a lot of work. I don't mind that they're weak...as long as they have the rubber socket.

It may be better to figure out how to kitbash a new socket for the neck and maybe something for the waist...
Sanjeev Wrote:
> It's obviously styled quite a bit differently from
> the movie WM adaptation, but I've always loved the
> comic look.

I picked up one of the IM2 War Machines. It's an excellent figure over all. Tight joints, good paint, and sharp sculpting. Comes with a big, goofy Gatling gun that shoots a couple of missiles as well as a smaller one with an ammo belt. Dig it.

> Now, I'm definitely NOT an action figure
> collector, so I'm already sorta biased against
> toys like this...so take what I say with a grain
> of salt. This figure looks badass, but I kinda
> can't stand most modern 3-3/4" action figures from
> Hasbro. They're made of soft, rubbery PVC that
> just doesn't feel that good in my hands. I miss
> the rigid ABS of the 80's Joe's.

Safety issues again, man. Gotta make sure kids can snap their toys in half and then impale themselves. Which takes a lot of the "dangerous fun" out of them, doesn't it?

> Gotta say though, the effects parts are pretty
> neat. I've never had a toy with such things, and
> while I don't particularly love them, they're a
> neat touch. They stole this idea from Revoltechs,
> right?

Actually, Hasbro was dropping effects parts on Star Wars figures as far back as 10 years ago. (Pic stolen from Rebelscum.com, yo.) So, if anything it was the other way 'round. But I bet there are toy lines which had effects parts even before 2000...

Anyway, I'm not feelin' the comic figures too much. But the movie line is a pretty tight kick for the price.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2010 04:51PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - POTJbattleboomerdamagefr.jpg (50.6 KB)
I might've missed something, but this is the first time I've seen a movie still of Justin Hammer's drone army:

Also, Mickey Rourke looks like some kind of hip hop pro wrestler James Bond villain or something

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Sanjeev (Admin)
The drones look pretty ill. Anyone pick up the magnetic figure of it? I wonder if it comes with the shoulder missile pods and all that...
B00
I found the new 6" War machine and Mark VI. For mass-released, mass-produced, run-o-the-mill action figures these things are actually pretty damn nice.

My flash kinda washed out the mark VI's detail.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2010 10:32PM by B00.
Attachments:
open | download - ironmen.jpg (410.7 KB)
well, they actually aren't mass released, mass retail items. They're Walmart exclusives. They are pretty nice though. The Suitcase armor looks really well done. I'm surprised it's taken Hasbro this long to do spare hands though.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Huh. Silver kneecaps. Bleuarg...
Those DO look nice! Love the "plating" and unit numbering on War Machine.

Also, I daresay that, even as exclusives, they could scarcely be more "mass" retail than by being sold at Wal-Mart. :)

Best,
--Ken-A
Sanjeev (Admin)
It's funny how lightyears they are beyond the last movie's 6" figure line. Those were kinda terrible (decent sculpts, but awful articulation/gimmicks). Oh, but the silver kneecaps still suck! :P
Oh, snap! I just ran across this amazing set at TRU the other day:
[www.toysrus.com]
Mk.IV armor, Nick Fury, and TWO Army drones!! These are the 4" figures, of course.
There was only one set left, and I didn't even know it existed until this weekend, so I snapped it up.
The Army ones are a little doofy, with their grenade launcher embedded in the right arm and machine gun sticking off the left, but they're still pretty cool. The stabilizer plates on the feet fold down!!

Apparently there's also a Target-exclusive set with the Navy drone:

I gotta get me two of these Navy drones! Along with the Army one and its cannon, the Navy ones with their missiles were my favorites. I hope the Targets around here still have 'em.

At some point when I have time to take photos, I'll probably review these sets for CDX, if no one else is gonna.

There's also an Air Force drone:
[www.hasbrotoyshop.com]
(I guess I want this guy, but he just seems so BLAH next to the Army and Navy ones, with his plain silver and his jetpack)
and a Whiplash drone:
[www.hasbrotoyshop.com]
What's this about? I guess it takes the place of the camouflage Marine Corps drones for the purposes of the toyline, since it's also green...? Or did these have a brief appearance in the final battle?

-Paul Segal

[www.toysrus.com]

OH GOD WHY DID THEY DO THIS

-Paul Segal

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer