[OFFICIAL] Iron Man 2 movie/toy thread

Posted by Sanjeev 
Sanjeev (Admin)
Surprised no one has started a thread on this yet...

Anyway...loved the first movie.
Can't wait for the second one.
Yadda yadda yadda.

But have you guys seen the upcoming Megablocks toys!? JoshB has full coverage at CDX...and they look fucking slammin'!

I think the clutch pieces are the 6" skeleton figure that comes with three sets of magnetically-attaching armor and the 10" Bionicle-like build figures.

Magnemo armor set:

10" build fig:

The standard 6" magnemo figures are sweet, too...but I still think the skeleton ones with swappable armor will be more fun because of that gimmick.

Standard magnemo dude:

Of course, the mini Hall of Armor playset looks pretty sweet, too...even if it's just the "Hall of Armor" from the movie, not the comic! As such, it's only got a few suits in there. Man, I'd kill for a Megablocks minifig Hulk Buster!

Mini Hall of Armor playset:

And if you've ever had a chance to handle Megablocks minifigs, you know how much of a joy they are. I hate to say it, but even as iconic as they are, Lego minifigs just aren't as fun. They're ball-jointed, but I think they're better than Minimates...and really, pretty much any other minifig I've ever handled. Naturally, your mileage may vary...

One of the minifig sets (oddly missing his arc reactor!):

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave
It looks like the chest was quickly Photoshopped over on that MegaBlocks mini and that's why it's missing the arc reactor - maybe a late design change or something. But yeah, MegaBlock minifigs are great. I grabbed some of the Halo minifigs and I don't even have to be a fan of the game (I'm not) to enjoy them. Looking forward to the Iron Man minis as well as the magnet armor figures.

I picked up some of the 3" IM2 figures from TRU last weekend and they look better overall than the larger figs from the first movie.

and here's a crotch-thrust just for you, Sanjeev.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2010 03:48PM by eriku.
Anonymous User
Wow, I didn't realize that 6" set had swappable armor parts. Reminds me of the Takatoku Destroid Conversion set. I hope they make all of the drone armors- that would be incredibly fun with the magnemo gimmick.

The Mini-Mates army builder set caught my eye from the recent IM2 merchandise. Someone else mentioned this, but the re-proportioned armors have a definite Ma.K vibe to them. Still on the fence about picking up a case.

(stock photo from Diamond Select)
I have all the figures on preorder from BBTS... I decided I'm finally sick of MiniMates even tho these look sweet, and I'll probably pick up the Magnemo set at retail. Cannot wait... but I'm also going to be crushed under the amount of stuff coming out. Oh well, it will be a good death... the new figures look amazing. I must admit, I'm more excited for the Comic waves, with Titanium Man, Crimson Dynamo, classic Guardsman, and the Post-Armor Wars Neo-Classic Armor (a hugely ignored and seminal suit).

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Sanjeev (Admin)
eriku, are those new figs part of the regular "Marvel Universe" 3-3/4" line? Or are they officially separate (but just in the same scale)?

The MkII looks slammin'. Actually, all three are pretty amazing...especially compared to the so-so figures that came out with the first movie. Oh, and I appreciate the crotch thrust--it's oddly appropriate for Tony Stark!!

Daniel, it's totally the Destroid Conversion Kit! Only a shitload cheaper! It's gonna be hard resisting the urge to buy two sets just to convert a Mk2 into War Machine and a Mk6(?) into Silver Centurion. ;)
Sanjeev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> eriku, are those new figs part of the regular
> "Marvel Universe" 3-3/4" line? Or are they
> officially separate (but just in the same scale)?
>
> The MkII looks slammin'. Actually, all three are
> pretty amazing...especially compared to the so-so
> figures that came out with the first movie. Oh,
> and I appreciate the crotch thrust--it's oddly
> appropriate for Tony Stark!!
>
> Daniel, it's totally the Destroid Conversion Kit!
> Only a shitload cheaper! It's gonna be hard
> resisting the urge to buy two sets just to convert
> a Mk2 into War Machine and a Mk6(?) into Silver
> Centurion. ;)

There's the IM2 Movie line, the Iron Man Comic line, and more MU releases from the look of it. I think pretty much all IM figures we see this year are going to be in the Movie or Comics lines (like eriku's). I'm really stoked, even for the IM1 figures, as the sculpts look great. The first movie armor body was too skinny and nothing special. The new sculpts look a little chunkier and better proportioned. My only gripe is that I'm not a huge fan of the modernizing they did to the comic grey suit. It's too sleek and detailed... the ToyBiz ML figure of the original suit was 100% perfect, and one of their best figures. The 'rust' paint also looks weak.

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
I have to agree about the original suit. The Marvel Legends was pretty spot-on:

I like that they, at least, tried to weather the new one, but the scrapes and rust looks a bit too uniform across the whole suit...
did it come with transistors
The biggest problem is that there was no armored skirt on the golden variant. That seems to be something we're supposed to ignore about the old suits (even the first red and gold looked like it had a form-fitting skirt at first).

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
No transistors or miniskirts...alas.

Still...fuck 'em. These Megablocks toys look about to be the funnest Iron Man toys EVAR.
mcfitch (Admin)

These Megablocks toys look about to be the funnest Iron Man toys EVAR.

I respectfully disagree.
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
Sanjeev (Admin)
Ah, douché, douché...

:P
I agree, the Marvel Legends rendition of the original suit is superior to the new one. It doesn't have any weathering on it, but the metallic silver paint is more pleasing to my eye than the drab grey look of the new one.

And the Megablocks toys are out now at TRU. I found the Hall of Armors playset and a couple of the larger magnetic armor figures. I got all excited and grabbed the Hall of Armors set and then noticed it only comes with two minifigs. I had assumed when I saw the photo online that all the suits in the row of grottos were minifigs, but they're not. Just pictures of minifigs. Kinda made the set seem like it wasn't worth the $30 so I left it there. >_<

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2010 04:27PM by eriku.
Bah, the Mego always sits there and laughs at me in auctions, with it's grotesque and scary face. I'll get it eventually.

[prometheusrising.net]
mcfitch (Admin)
You can always come over and play with my little mint sonovabitch.
-Mason

P.S. that just sounds so worng.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt &quot;I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!&quot;
mcfitch Wrote:
> You can always come over and play with my little
> mint sonovabitch.
> -Mason
>
> P.S. that just sounds so worng.

And tempting!

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
eriku Wrote:
> And the Megablocks toys are out now at TRU.

The hell you say! So much for "Spring 2010" that they said at Toyfair last weekend! :P

Did they have just the regular magnetic figs as well? Or just the magnetic armor "briefcase" sets?

> ...I got all
> excited and grabbed the Hall of Armors set and
> then noticed it only comes with two minifigs.

Yup...I noticed that being mentioned in the description on CDX. Fucking bummer. I hope they still release minifigs of all the movie armors...but I have a feeling that if they do, they'll be released only in individual sets.

At least they're fairly cheap. $6 for the little sets with one fig, and between $10 and $20 for the bigger vehicle sets. Not bad at all...just annoying to have to track them all down for a full minifig cast.
Looking at the CDX pics again, I see I was wrong, it was the 10" buildable figures they had out next to the minifig sets and not the Magnemo armor figures. I knew something looked off when I was looking one of the two War Machines they had. I like the look of the Magnemo sets better.
I have one of the Magnemo Master Chiefs from Halo, and they're fun. Magnetic shoulder and neck (and maybe waist, I forget), with a big spherical magnet in the belly... the skeleton looks exactly like a Terminator, and would make a great figure by its naked self. The armor fits solidly on the Halo guy, and doesn't do much to hinder articulation. Looking forward to the Iron Man ones.

The Magnemo parts are sort of compatible with Jeeg... they use a bigger piece, so they don't really fit onto Jeeg's body, but you can use stuff like Jeeg's backpack rockets as an arm on the Halo guy. Pretty fun stuff.

[prometheusrising.net]
Wait...I'm confused...are these Megablock magnetic action figures actually licensed as "Magneemo" or is that just the common venacular us TBDX'ers are using for these toys?
Vernacular.

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, sorry for the confusion... ;)

I didn't realize the Halo magnet figure you were talking about was actually a normal articulated endoskeleton...but with magnetic armor. I figured it was just one of their regular figures with solid limb pieces attached with spherical magnets.

That's cool because now you have a good idea of what the magnet-armor Iron Man figs will be like...
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Yeah, sorry for the confusion... ;)
>
> I didn't realize the Halo magnet figure you were
> talking about was actually a normal articulated
> endoskeleton...but with magnetic armor. I figured
> it was just one of their regular figures with
> solid limb pieces attached with spherical
> magnets.
>
> That's cool because now you have a good idea of
> what the magnet-armor Iron Man figs will be
> like...

No no, the armor's not magnetic, the shoulders and neck are, like you were thinking before.

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Weird...okay, so it sounds like the Halo fig is totally different then. It's a Terminator-like endoskeleton that's spherical-magnetically jointed...with Halo armor that snaps on?

...Whereas the Iron Man magnetic armor fig is a Terminator-like endoskeleton that's got regular mechanical joints...with Iron Man armor that magnetically attaches.

Then, there are the regular Iron Man magnetic figures that don't have removable armor...just full Iron Man suits with spherical magnetic joints.
The only iron man toys that are upcoming that interest me are the 8" rotocast ones...I remember the rotocasts that Toybiz made and they are among my favorite toys. Not to mention that Toybiz made a rotocast cave troll for their LOTR series that was amazing....anyway...
Sanjeev (Admin)
Oh, you mean this dude from Hasbro?

Definitely looks purdy, but I dunno--not a ton of play value there...despite being a pretty much indestructible toy.

Did you ever get the biggish (10"?) talking Iron Man from the last movie? Very accurate. Sturdy plastic. A few points of articulation. And lights and sounds. Seems like a better value than these vinyls.
Yes I have the big eletronic one and he is quite the bang for the buck winner...There is just something cool about that rotocast guy. I see him battling cheap Bandai Ultra Kaiju...and yes I knew that Hasbro has the license now...Not meaning to derail things but, is Toybiz even in business anymore?
Sanjeev (Admin)
Huh...I just looked it up on wikipedia...looks like Toybiz merged with Marvel (and became "Marvel Toys"), but then all the actual Marvel toy stuff went to Hasbro...and Marvel Toys was left doing wrestling figures. I didn't read deep enough to see if they were still around...

Anyway, when you get the vinyl Iron Man, I wanna see a pic of him with a Bandai vinyl Jet Jaguar, if ya have one...preferably shaking hands! :P
So Ben has convinced me to start reading Iron Man comics and because I need to start at the beginning, I'm going with some good old Tales of Suspense.

"But little does Jeanne, or any other person know that Tony Stark has left the gay party for a must unusual date with... and electric cord!"

I love it so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2010 12:23PM by VF5SS.
Ahhh....so it's that kind of mustache.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Even more horror:
[io9.com]
I saw the Megablocks sets at TRU today and damn they were cool. Very VERY hard to pass up on them. Especially since they've got one of those Army Drones in the smaller single packs.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Excellent. That's two confirmed reports of Megablocks at TRUs. And I saw an ad last night for Hasbro's offerings being in TRU by Monday (the 1st). I'm not really interested in the Hasbro stuff, so tonight, I'ma try to head to our local TRU (heh..."local"...all the true local ones have closed in the Boston area...) and see what I can find...

I demand more MegaBlocks minifigs.
By the way, this is the set that is shown in the last photo of Sanjeev's original post. The set with the control room thing. As you can see, the figure is very much <i>not</i> chromed. Still has a bit of metallic flake in the plastic tho.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2010 04:01PM by eriku.
Sanjeev (Admin)
That Tony...what a fucking lush...

Didn't know he was even supposed to be chromed. I guess I won't be disappointed then! :P

Okay...TRU postponed til tomorrow.
Damn....TRU I went to was CLEANED out....just a few of the 3 3/4 figs. Nada else.

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
well, all that image is doing is confirming what I already knew: I need to go back and buy that Army Drone set.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Aiight, well, I went to one of the two remaining TRUs around Boston yesterday. Cleaned the FUCK out.

That said, it looks like that whole section was for the Hasbro 3-3/4" figs. There was a separate section for Megablocks and it looked well-stocked...with Halo Wars toys.

So maybe they still haven't gotten the Megablocks stuff?

Well, I went to the WalMart and Target down the road...nothing. Been a while since I've hunted a toy at retail...this is kinda fun!
Dude, your TRU has the Armored Adventures stuff? I've never even SEEN those toys, and BBTS doesn't carry them...

[prometheusrising.net]
TRU seems to be the ONLY place carrying the Armored Adventures stuff. They're kind of lame though. They've got less articulation than those 1/18 DC figures.

I don't think TRU is cleaned out so much as they just haven't stocked it yet. Which is odd since today is supposed to be when they hit retail.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer