Anime Decade: From Japan Cool to Cooling Off

Posted by MattAlt 
Vincent Z. Wrote:

>entice the western anime fan with its
> particular look and alpha male law breaker lead
> who drives fast cars and gets the girl.

Some gentlemen would like to have a word with you son...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2012 11:20PM by Kwesi K..
Attachments:
open | download - 359153160_5f80a4502a.jpg (138.6 KB)
High five, Kwesi!
MattAlt (Admin)
THANK YOU KWESI. Was just about to mention that. Alpha male, yes. Western, no. Redline is a pure celebration of Japanese bosozoku/furyo (biker/delinquent) culture, with a healthy dose of Japanese greaser (seen in Kwesi's pic above.)

For those interested in Japanese delinquent/outsider culture I highly recommend Patrick Macias' illustrated guide, Japanese Schoolgirl Inferno, which reads sorta like Yokai Attack except with humans instead of monsters. Maybe.
About the tasting of spit thing

so like

in Squid Girl, the Squid Girl can spit ink because she's a squid girl. She accidentally sprays it all over the quiet-yet-deadly older sister who then tastes it. She then coerces Squid Girl to fill up huge bottles of the stuff so they can sell squid ink pasta at the beach house restaurant XD

[fxcuisine.com]

yeah it's real
MSW
And that bosozoku/furyo culture is an extension of American rockabilly and psychobilly culture.
Kwesi K. Wrote:
>
> Some gentlemen would like to have a word with you
> son...

THAT IS THE BEST PICTURE

and indeed, it's bizarre to criticize an anime for playing off Western cultural motifs, when Japan's pop culture in general has always had this cyclical tradition of assimilating and mutating Western trends.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
I remember them being one of the more memorable experience when my brother was showing me around Ueno park. They're actually a pretty chill group.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2012 09:27PM by Kwesi K..

hey

what did you say about my hair?
Not just western, but eastern trends too. Remember when Japan got all Buddhafied? But the mutated the Amida Buddha and Zen stuff? This is a much older trend then rockabilly.

Also last night I watched the live action movie Burst City, a 1982 Japanese post-apocalyptic movie about bikers and punk rockers and rockabilly guys. This is nothing new. (P.S. That movie was CRAZY.)

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
MattAlt (Admin)
"Remember when Japan got all Buddhafied?"

When was this??

Anyway, the juvenile delinquent thing (a.k.a. "yankii") was a huge motif in the Seventies and Eighties because delinquency was a big problem in Japan in the Seventies and Eighties. Ever wonder why Akira features bikers? Then there's Bebop High School, the game River City Ransom, characters in popular dramas of the time, etc., etc...
look Alto-san

anything that is like Akira is made for people who grew up watching Manga VHS tapes

mangaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
MattAlt (Admin)
True tales from the Alt Side: I worked as an intern in the Manga E offices in Chicago for about a month in 1995. A fulltime job never materialized. Wonder how life would have turned out if it had?
I was talking about the Nara period. Buddhism is obviously not a native Japanese religion.

-Ginrai
Someone actually mentioned River City Ransom - one of my very favorite games of all time! Gotta love getting powered up by eating sushi and so on...

More serious than thou
VF5SS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> About the tasting of spit thing
>
> so like
>
> in Squid Girl, the Squid Girl can spit ink because
> she's a squid girl. She accidentally sprays it all
> over the quiet-yet-deadly older sister who then
> tastes it. She then coerces Squid Girl to fill up
> huge bottles of the stuff so they can sell squid
> ink pasta at the beach house restaurant XD
>
> [fxcuisine.com]
>
> yeah it's real

Yeah, I've sampled squid ink spaghetti myself. Can't say I really cared for it though. I'm not sure it coming from that source instead would help or not. >_<;
screw that old anime chick

she only killed one guy in defense of her husbando
Attachments:
open | download - feminism.jpg (365.9 KB)
[blog.kuruten.jp]

Ben is gonna looooooooooooove this movie
[blogs.suntimes.com]

you will never save anime like this, Redline-kun
VF5SS Wrote:
> [blogs.suntimes.com]

"detailed full-frontal female nudity"

I don't remember there being full frontal nudity in Redline

-Paul Segal

there wasn't any oral sex either :v

"Redline" is an adult anime, not adult as in hentai (link NSFW) where sexual situations are depicted in graphic detail with sometimes startlingly strange inventions and contortions that could only happen in animation or CGI. We're talking anime for mature audiences. That's the theory, anyway.

Nice crap journalism there, with the absolutely unneeded reference to hentai where she could simply have stated Redline was for 16+ audiences, not for your 4-year old todler...

If you're wondering whether or not an animated female is wearing underwear, I think you need serious mental help.

If three of the four first outgoing links in your article refer to sex, the first half of your article focusses almost entirely on the sexual elements, then skips to the production values, then goes back to the sexual elements, and the sci-fi aspects remain unmentioned apart from some key elements probably mentioned on the back of the packaging, I think you need to go back to journalism school AND need some serious mental help.

My husband likes women in short skirts like the racetrack babes and bimbos of "Redline," so this anime should have offered something for both of us.

So, was it the husband who wondered "whether or not an animated female is wearing underwear"?
A good bosozoku flick (it's a doc) is "God Speed You! Black Emperor".

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
[news.cnet.com]

now we have no place to go buy overpriced DVDs while the staff is forced to push warranties and special offers on you
Let me tell you a Best Buy story. We bought an HD projector recently. We WERE going to buy it from Best Buy. They didn't have it in stock. When we asked if they could order it for us, they said we'd have to order it on their website, and then they told me stuff ordered from the website and delivered to their store is frequently lost. At this point I gave up and ordered it on Amazon and had no problems.

I have zero sympathy for the death of stores like Best Buy.

-Ginrai
They're killing themselves. They remodeled all their stores to push HDTVs, taking like 40% of floor space. Now that that market is slowed down, prices have dropped, margins are super tight and people can go to Walmart and Target for a good set, they're caught in a failure loop.

Killing off software (DVDs, CDs, vid games)? Can't build that back up. Killed off computers? can't build that back up. There's nobody left who does what Best Buy did and they strangled themselves.

crazy.
SteveH Wrote:
> There's nobody left who does
> what Best Buy did and they strangled themselves.

Oh I assure you there are plenty of stores with shitty selections and shitty prices on stuff that isn't just Dynex products still out there.

edit: posted while a Dynex wireless mouse is connected to my laptop lol

also don't you guys have a Newbury comics? My local one is stuffed with DVDs :v

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2012 08:28PM by VF5SS.
[www.animenewsnetwork.com]

yay subs

now we can rip them with relying on fansubbers
VF5SS Wrote:
>
> also don't you guys have a Newbury comics? My
> local one is stuffed with DVDs :v

There isn't a Newbury south-east of Warwick, you ignorant Yankee.

edit: wait I think I meant Manchester. whatever

-Paul Segal

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2012 12:48PM by asterphage.
look I'm sorry you guys don't have stores with both DVD versions of Highlander 2
[twitpic.com]

what do those Tiger and Bunny guys have that Lulu-chan doesn't :c
[www.animenewsnetwork.com]

Worth the wait.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Vincent Z. Wrote:
>
> Worth the wait.

Shouldn't we wait to see it before deciding?

-Paul Segal

I predict that Prometheus will be a disappointment and Gothicmade will be surprisingly refreshing. I hate the mecha designs we've seen for Gothicmade so far, however.

--------------------------
I want YOU for Moé Sucks Army
MattAlt (Admin)
The Thread That Just Won't Die! For those interested in otaku studies, you might enjoy this (very) long-form interview I conducted with Patrick Galbraith about his new book, "Otaku Spaces."

[neojaponisme.com]
MattAlt Wrote:
> The Thread That Just Won't Die! For those
> interested in otaku studies, you might enjoy this
> (very) long-form interview I conducted with
> Patrick Galbraith about his new book, "Otaku
> Spaces."
>
> [neojaponisme.com]
> th-patrick-w-galbraith-on-otaku-culture-part-one/

A good read. Thanks for posting. His non-condescending approach to the subject was really refreshing.
MattAlt (Admin)
He's also the author of the Otaku Encyclopedi, which was edited & designed by the same guy who designed Yokai Attack! for us.
Great stuff, Matt. I'm making all my ridiculous otaku friends read it.

-Paul Segal

Ordered the book from Amazon. :D

When will part 2 and 3 come around?
[neojaponisme.com]

Part two up now...
MattAlt (Admin)
And now part three (which gets more into the mechanics, pun intended, of old- versus new-school otaku):

[neojaponisme.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer