Anime Decade: From Japan Cool to Cooling Off

Posted by MattAlt 
MattAlt (Admin)
A recent piece I did about anime's long, strange ride during the first decade of the 2000s...

[www.cnngo.com]
But can I and others still enjoy the shows that they make now, with the inside jokes and the fanservice?

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
MattAlt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A recent piece I did about anime's long, strange
> ride during the first decade of the 2000s...
>
> [www.cnngo.com]

The comments are priceless.
Not without severe ridicule, Vinnie.

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Nothing exploded and then flamed out as quickly as it seemed, as Gundam's stint here in the U.S.
I hope you realize Gundam Wing was mostly popular due to the yaoi fodder than the mecha.

"I like the Wizard of Oz....I like the Tinman, best!"

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
I think this is appropriate.

[tvtropes.org]

To me anyway, it just seems hypocritical to claim to be an expert on Japanese pop culture and yet having no clue about what moe is and why it's popular.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2009 12:49PM by Vincent Z..
Kinda like claiming to know what's all the rage in Japan (when in reality, your interests are but a small niche in the overall market) from behind a monitor in the Eastern US?

Vinnie, you wouldn't know "appropriate" if it came up from behind and glomped you.

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Vince, you're as unintentionally hilarious as the comments on Matt's article.
Keep in mind Vincent that Matt is writing for a mainstream audience. Mainstream audiences for the most part are not interested in an in depth deconstruction of the merits of moe. It was not about moe, as much as about the state of the industry in the past 10 years.

And Matt does not claim anything, but I can bet the fact he lives in Japan (and has for years), works and lives and breathes in and around the industry your reading about, and speaks/writes fluent Japanese ...merits his observations slightly more validity than what your suggesting.

Happy Holidays all.
MattAlt (Admin)
"To me anyway, it just seems hypocritical to claim to be an expert on Japanese pop culture and yet having no clue about what moe is and why it's popular."

I never expected this level of self-analysis from you, Vince! Color me proud that you're finally coming to terms with your deficiencies.
I really wanted Gundam to do well out here, but it really doesn't deserve it.
I understand the valid points that you're making Matt.

Still, I don't care what the mainstream wants. I like the shows that are being made now.

Why do you know, try watching some before you judge.

I'm glad that there's folks like WAH who actually can legitimately enjoy said shows and review them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2009 07:05PM by Vincent Z..
Oh and I prompted this question to my fellow John at his site which I made Matt see before.

[www.animenation.net]

Oh the flame war it started.

Or should I say, moe (as in burning) war.

Matt, interesting article, and your blog post adds something valuable too. Thanks for re-linking that translation of the 1983 article about the dawning of otaku; I enjoyed that as well.

hillsy Wrote:
> you wouldn't know "appropriate" if it
> came up from behind and glomped you.

But... that behavior would be inappropriate.

VF5SS Wrote:
> I really wanted Gundam to do well out here,
> but it really doesn't deserve it.

Don't bother, there's no one here who cares to get mad at you for saying that.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
It's good that you know what everyone here has and has not watched, Vinnie. Stop looking in my windows.

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Nice article Matt! Now, if you could only keep your turnkey Pony smuggling buisness going...

Funny thing on imgu.com. I'm sure a bunch of you saw it posted on the Skullbrain thread:

Jon packs the sharpest knives.
Vincent Z. Wrote:
> I understand the valid points that you're making
> Matt.
>
> Still, I don't care what the mainstream wants. I
> like the shows that are being made now.
>
> Why do you know, try watching some before you
> judge.
>
> I'm glad that there's folks like WAH who actually
> can legitimately enjoy said shows and review them.

It's nice that you like the niche shows you like and all, but I'd personally rather that things were more like they were. It's clear that even here anime's not as big of a seller as it was in the early 2000's.

More serious than thou
Was their ever a specific reason why the people who work in anime (outside of high up executives) get paid so low?

Vincent Z. Wrote:
> Was their ever a specific reason why the people
> who work in anime (outside of high up executives)
> get paid so low?

I have no inside knowledge of the industry, but it is probably for the same reasons that so many other jobs are paid unlivable wages: A) companies can get away with it; and/or B) the workers represent unskilled or minimally skilled labor.
[www.animenewsnetwork.com]

:D

nada.

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2009 01:09PM by hillsy.
mcfitch (Admin)
Vincent posting a link + smiley face = me not opening it. Especially at work.
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
You're not missing anything, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the subject of this thread.
It's not even on topic for this thread.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
mcfitch (Admin)
Roger, Paul,
You could knock me over with a feather.
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
Gcrush Wrote:
> MattAlt Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------

> [www.cnngo.com]
> 5
>
> The comments are priceless.

The comment from the 'European' (likely someone from France, but also mentions Morocco - since when does Morocco belong to Europe anyway? Last time I checked it was in the North of Africa...) anime fan is mindnumbingly stupid and uninformed - and hilarious in a sad, sad way. Not just with regards to anime in Japan, but s/he just would have to walk into the average bookshop selling manga in France to see that kiddies do like more than Dragonball and Pokemon. Furthermore, s/he states the obvious: of course people who read manga/watch anime are going to move on to more serious/adult subjects as they grow up. Like with everything when people grow up. Do these people even have one functional brain cell?

Check Matt's blog for more unintentional hilarity.
Rereading the article again, I had more cohesive thoughts.

Things change, tastes change. I like to look at things as indicative eras. Certain things had their time and place. There's nothing wrong with being nostalgic for something, it's when you want the SAME thing to continue on and on but will never capture the feel of whatever it is when something first started.

My point is that while some things have changed over the decades, things are still quite the same. Looking back at older anime you see things that occur just the same in new stuff and yes, even fanservice.

MattAlt (Admin)
If you came away from that article with the idea that it is about nostalgia for the works of an earlier time, then you need to read it again.

But let me save you the trouble: it's about the fact that wages and conditions in the industry have deteriorated to the point that not even world-class directors like Miyazaki or Oshii can gather enough talent to make a film in the way they want anymore.

If you're a fan of anime of ANY genre, the fact that its creators are disappearing at an alarming rate should bother you more than whether the world validates your particular personal tastes.
>If you came away from that article with the idea that it is about nostalgia for the >works of an earlier time, then you need to read it again.

Some of the article seemed like that, yes.

>If you're a fan of anime of ANY genre, the fact that its creators are disappearing >at an alarming rate should bother you more than whether the world validates your >particular personal tastes.

I guess.

MattAlt Wrote:
> If you're a fan of anime of ANY genre, the fact
> that its creators are disappearing at an alarming
> rate should bother you more than whether the world
> validates your particular personal tastes.

It bothers me, but as an American fan I can't really do anything about it. The people in charge just make all the fans and contributors seem so helpless. Like all we can do is either buy or not buy something. Even then it's like it doesn't matter.
Read it again, Vinnie....3rd time is a charm.

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
hillsy Wrote:
> Read it again, Vinnie....3rd time is a charm.

I did. I still stand by the same notion as before.

You can try not passing judgement of so called otaku marketed shows until you seen some.
Yeah, and they're still shit.

[moesucks.wordpress.com]
Let's get together and watch some, Vinnie. Show me the ropes.

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Otaku-marketed shows are amusing due to the references, but once you remove those there's not much left besides a paper-thin cookie-cutter plot. So to casual viewers they will not be as enjoyable as, say, something with more contents, more plot, actual character development that goes beyond the anime stereotypes of "tsundere mellows up over time" or similar, etc.
>Yeah, and they're still shit.

Funny that you linked to K-On, since that was one of the highest selling anime on Blu-Ray there.

Populuarity doesn't always mean quality, Vinnie.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer