[EBAY TALES OF WOE] "This isn't what I thought I was buying."

Posted by Gcrush 
mcfitch (Admin)
Yeah eBay didn't pay out jack shit. Check your Paypal account if that's what you used in this transaction.
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
I checked my eBay invoice and Paypal record. Not reversed charges yet, but I'm keeping an eye on them.

I also sent an email to eBay asking, "Who exactly is paying for the refund?" We'll see what they says.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Wait...did the buyer send the fucking mask back yet?

Well anyway, getting back to Rain's discussion...the way I see it, could Gcrush have included an additional photo zoomed back far enough to realize it was an action figure or maybe an extra sentence stating as such? Sure. That would've made things air-tight.

Case in point, after I my initial guffaw at this thread, I showed the auction page to my co-worker. He's NOT a toy collector, but he's smart enough to design aircraft. I showed him the completed auction page, and asked him to describe the product being sold in his own words. I gave him a couple hints: I pointed out that it was under the "action figure" category, as well as the numerous references to "1:6" and "1/6". He got that it was from the "Predator" franchise, but he had no clue what "Hot Toys" was or what the scale meant...so he told me it was a human-scale mask...either for wearing or for displaying on a human-scale Predator head bust.

Oh well.

Now, first off, just because the buyer had an e-meltdown does NOT mean that they are either mentally disabled or otherwise "unintelligent". Remember the few meltdowns "diceone" had on this board? Well, we met him in person and believe me, there was nothing wrong with his brain.

I have absolutely no reason whatsoever to believe this whole "my 10-year-old son's birthday" story. That was part of the reason why I would have requested the picture of the kid crying. First, it would have been fucking hilarious...second, it would have proven their story. Well...I guess they could've had ringers pose for the pic...but hey, A+ for effort...they'd deserve the refund at that point!

Anyway, whether you call it "intellectualism", "elitism", or just plain old "disability oppression", who cares? It's real and the effects are no joke. In this particular case, however, I just don't think the buyer is disabled. Can I prove it? Fuck no, unfortunately. But I'm just playing the odds here. As I said, I know plenty of able-minded folks that are JUST AS FUCKING STOOPIT on the interwebz.
Your Feedback revision request has been sent to ____.
Reason for request: Other
Your message to the buyer: eBay determined that neither one of us was at fault in the dispute and you have received a full refund. Please consider revising the negative feedback you left for us since eBay agreed that we did not misrepresent the item we sold. Thank you.

====

The buyer has declined to revise your Feedback.
Reason for declining: Other
Message from the buyer: I tried to handle this fairly and respectfully,with no luck my son is so upset that he is not going to have anymask now at Christmas.I offered to pay shipping and tried to accept some fault for the situation with you being very smart with the same message over and over .Iwould have paid for shipping and left very positive feedback for you doing the right thing and you would not budge. So I think that has covered about everything like you stated on tour sellers page.Have a ------ -- Christmas !
Sanjeev (Admin)
Please explain the nature of a "------ -- Christmas", and how one goes about having one.
Sanjeev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wait...did the buyer send the fucking mask back
> yet?

Nope.

> Well anyway, getting back to Rain's
> discussion...the way I see it, could Gcrush have
> included an additional photo zoomed back far
> enough to realize it was an action figure or maybe
> an extra sentence stating as such? Sure. That
> would've made things air-tight.

I'm seriously going to start using a clearly labeled 5cm cube in all my photos from here on out.
'Cause if I put a battery, they'll argue about the size. "I thought it was a D-Cell, not a AAA!"
And if I put a coin, they'll argue, "I thought it was a Susan B. Anthony, not a nickel!"
And if I put a pack o' smokes, they'll argue, "I thought it was a pack of Swisher Sweets, not Merits!"
And so on.

> He's NOT a toy collector, but he's smart enough to
> design aircraft.

I find it a little disconcerting that an engineer wouldn't know what 1:6 or 1/6th scale means. Is that not strange?

> In this particular case, however, I
> just don't think the buyer is disabled. Can I
> prove it? Fuck no, unfortunately. But I'm just
> playing the odds here. As I said, I know plenty of
> able-minded folks that are JUST AS FUCKING STOOPIT
> on the interwebz.

Amen.

I used to have a line at the beginning of the description that read, "Do not bid unless you are 100% sure of what this auction is selling." I then amended it over time and the current phrasing is a more lighthearted way of writing the same thing. But it's not snarky. Or elitist. It's literal.

As in, if you've found this auction by any means other than conscious deliberation, GO AWAY. If you are too stupid to know what this means, GO AWAY. If you are too stupid to recognize how stupid you are, I have a 50% restocking fee in store for you to compensate me for the lost time and aggravation.

Let me point out that there's no intellectualist assessment of the bidder involved in this process. The principle for which I'm concerned is competency - broadly speaking, the ability of a person to comprehend their actions. It's a minimum standards test that doesn't care about how smart or dumb one is. And if you think that's unprincipled, keep in mind that our society already has measures in place to disallow incompetent people the right to act on behalf of their own person.
Sanjeev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Please explain the nature of a "------ --
> Christmas", and how one goes about having one.

It most likely involves my anus.
Well, if Ebay has decided to let you keep your money AND refund this guy HIS money, then it's likely they won't be all that interested in helping you retrieve the item you already received money for. If they take their pound of flesh from you, however...

More serious than thou
Roger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rain, you have proven yourself to be
> intellectually challenged, and I am blocking you
> from my auctions.

I'm almost certain I'd be insulted if I understood what you meant...

Ah well. Time to let my cat to randomly bid on one of your auctions. You can't keep my cat from bidding. YOU don't know her nickname.
PussyGalore123?

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Gcrush Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And if you think that's
> unprincipled, keep in mind that our society
> already has measures in place to disallow
> incompetent people the right to act on behalf of
> their own person.

Yup (which, I'm pretty sure involves bidding on eBay auctions/spending money/etc.).

Which reminds me of this one time I visited a friend who was then teaching self-defense/safety to mentally disabled adults (who are living on their own). As I was going around the room introducing myself to the students, one of them made the crane kick gesture and said, "You! Karate Kid" and then started making kung-fu noises, presumably because I'm Asian and not because I resemble Bruce Lee, though they may have been one and the same to this fellow. I just gave this person a cold stare, after which his friend leaned over and said, in an embarrassed manner, "You shouldn't do that! It's not nice! It's racist!"

And he did know that was wrong. He was trying to see what he could get away with. He was trying to impress his friends.

Now if I had punched racist mentally handicapped adult in the throat, how many karma points would I lose? Would the racist behavior outweigh the mental handicap, or would the handicap mitigate the racist behavior? What if I sissy-slapped him? Would that still count as a deduction? And is there a PayPal fee involved?

Those, I think, are the central questions.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2009 01:50AM by gingaio.
Gcrush Wrote:
>
> I'm seriously going to start using a clearly labeled 5cm cube in all my photos from here on out.
> 'Cause if I put a battery, they'll argue about the size. "I thought it was a D-Cell, not a AAA!"
> And if I put a coin, they'll argue, "I thought it was a Susan B. Anthony, not a nickel!"
> And if I put a pack o' smokes, they'll argue, "I thought it was a pack of Swisher Sweets, not Merits!"
> And so on.

Like your dumb American bidders know how big 5cm is.
You might as well photo the item cradled between the breasts of an obliging young lady, and advise all potential bidders of her cup size.
Or gently dress your penis in 1/6 Predator gear, and take a photo of it wearing the mask.


...what the heck are Swisher Sweets, anyway? what is that, some kind of '50s reference?

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
gingaio Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Now if I had punched racist mentally handicapped
> adult in the throat, how many karma points would I
> lose? Would the racist behavior outweigh the
> mental handicap, or would the handicap mitigate
> the racist behavior? What if I sissy-slapped him?
> Would that still count as a deduction? And is
> there a PayPal fee involved?

No karma points or Paypal fees involved, but it would have made your hand dirty. And I don't mean "bar of soap" dirty. I mean "Robin Williams dressed as Lady Macbeth" dirty.


hillsy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> PussyGalore123?

That's... That's my mom's ID. How..? Wait. Say nothing. I don't want to know.


asterphage Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Or gently dress your penis in 1/6 Predator gear,
> and take a photo of it wearing the mask.

The funny thing is that eBay pulled my auction when I posted it that way.

> ...what the heck are Swisher Sweets, anyway? what
> is that, some kind of '50s reference?

It's the most noxiously flavored tobacco product outside of Kodiak's line of gentlemanly rugged goodness.





Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2009 09:49AM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - SwisherSweetLittleCigars.jpg (21.5 KB)
Anonymous User
If the bidder was so stupid as to not figure out the mask was for an action figure instead of a human being, imagine how disappointed his kid will be when dumbass dad gives him a bunch of Wii games for his Playstation...
Anus? Penis? Boobs? Who knew selling on Ebay was so sexually charged?

More serious than thou
UPDATE FROM EBAY.

It's a nice form letter, really. And it makes clear the fact that I'm not paying for the buyers' refund. But why is the buyer getting any refund if the dispute was solved in my favor?

The letter also draws some pretty odd conclusions about freedom of speech. Is eBay the first amendment? If so, why have they censored the shit outta my auctions with the words Western Union? The mind boggles.

The important questions are, "What should I put in response to this buyer's feedback?" and, "What should I say in their feedback?" Thoughts? Keep in mind that cruelty is fully appreciated.

====

Thank you for writing eBay in regard to item 110464351878.

I am sorry to hear you have had difficulties with this transaction. I know it is frustrating when it is necessary to open a case for this type of issue. I realize that we did close this case in your favor. We did what we could to protect your funds by making sure the buyer could not get a refund on the transaction. However, the case does not protect against feedback. I know it can be very frustrating when a difficult buyer leaves bad feedback when you really were not at fault.

Unfortunately dealing with difficult customers is part of being a seller in any type of retail business. The problem is we don't have the right to take away their right to freedom of speech. We can only remove feedback if it violates one of the feedback policies, which you can view at:


[pages.ebay.com]
Ebay Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The problem is we don't have the right
> to take away their right to freedom of speech.


You mean... the way they take away YOUR freedom of speech by not letting you leave negative feedback in return??? Actually, after a moment's reflection and the anger subsiding a small bit, I guess you can SAY whatever you want, but it's not fair that you have to leave them a positive feedback to do it.

"There's no Bigfoot in The Awakening." -James Bickert



Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2009 10:29PM by Nekrodave.
The "freedom of speech" bit doesn't hold water. At all. It's eBay's web site, they can do what they want.

I think you should leave this as feedback: "This bidder lives up to their word. They threatened me with negative feedback because they couldn't own up to their own mistake, even after eBay sided with me. And that's just what I got."

That's probably way too long but I'm sure you can Hemingway it up.
I would say:

Ebay ruled in my favor. Buyer is an idiot. Block immediately!
Much better.
Gcrush Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I also contacted eBay's support team with the
> following.
>
> "I'm worried because this member is using
> profanity in their communications and extortion.
> I feel as if they are trying to coerce me by
> threatening me with statements like, "I know
> sellers who would pay 50 dollars to have 100%
> feedback," and, "Your like the kid just screwed up
> he needs to learn," and, "hold your breth."
> Should I be concerned about this?"

THE REPLY

out_of_the_business, we appreciate your report on this matter, and we're sorry that you received such kind of email. We'd like to assure you that we're very concerned of violations on our site, and we've taken appropriate action on member _____ after investigating your report. We encourage members to be courteous and respectful when using the Email Forwarding System. The purpose of this system is to provide an open avenue of communication between eBay users, and violation of eBay policy may result in a range of actions, including:

- Listing cancellation*
- Forfeiture of eBay fees on cancelled listings*
- Limits on account privileges
- Account suspension

For details on this policy, visit:

[pages.ebay.com]

Because we value the privacy of all members, we're unable to discuss the specific details of our investigation, and this this also assures you that your account history will also remain private.
Anonymous User
Interesting Engrish in that last e-mail. Notice also the actions they offer to take are largely directed toward seller activities.

"Follow the money..."
AcroRay Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting Engrish in that last e-mail. Notice
> also the actions they offer to take are largely
> directed toward seller activities.
>
> "Follow the money..."


Exactly. But, whatever. I replied to their feedback and left some of my own. Fighting the good fight, as it were.

SELLERS - be emboldened! Apparently eBay will not automatically screw you on the litmus test. If nothing else, this is good news.

Oh, and anyone wanting to block the people with the 1:6th kid should look at my feedback to deduce their identity. They're the only negative on there at the moment...



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2009 10:03AM by Gcrush.
gingaio Wrote:
>"You! Karate Kid" and then started making kung-fu noises,
> presumably because I'm Asian and not because I
> resemble Bruce Lee, though they may have been one
> and the same to this fellow.

Or you look like Ralph Machio?

And were wearing a gi?
And standing in a dojo?
Beside a karate instructor?
Clickity click beep boop?

;)



Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2009 10:56AM by RainBot.
Attachments:
open | download - will-smith-karate-kid-2.jpg (159.4 KB)
I put this through Babelfish, translated from "Narn" to "English."

RainBot Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------
> To be donning the gi?
>
Civvies.
>
> Erected as a dojo?
>
Classroom.
>
> Parallel in situation to this karate instructor?
>
Krav Maga/boxing was his forte, but his safety/defense lessons really didn't involve martial arts, just being on the lookout for strange people and shouting for help and dialing 911, stuff like that. And for that other question you forgot to ask, he was wearing civvies, too.

Oh, and btw, dork, real Karate Kid fans know that Miyagi doesn't use dojos. He uses his yard and his cars.

>
>

And Gcrush wrote:
--------------------------------------------------------
>No karma points or Paypal fees involved, but it would have made your hand dirty. >And I don't mean "bar of soap" dirty. I mean "Robin Williams dressed as Lady >Macbeth" dirty.

True that. It's a no-win situation to beat up (or get beat up by) a mentally handicapped person. Unless there are incredibly high stakes, like a really awesome Gundam model, or a girl, or a burger, or the schoolyard glory that comes with being alpha-dick.



Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2009 04:22PM by gingaio.
Mmmmm.....burger.

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
mcfitch (Admin)
"Oh, and btw, dork, real Karate Kid fans know that Miyagi doesn't use dojos. He uses his yard and his cars."

There are some things that are so right, and yest so wrong, with that sentence. ;-)
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
Sanjeev (Admin)
Bacon cheeseburger...cooked at home...
gingaio Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I put this through Babelfish, translated from
> "Narn" to "English."
>And for that other question
> you forgot to ask, he was wearing civvies, too.


That *was* my last question:"Clickity click beep boop?". Thanks for answering it.
But you didn't answer my first question. Do you look like Ralph Machio?
;)


Thing is... a special needs person who looks more "normal" is more likely to get taken advantage of or simply physically hurt because of something inappropriate one says or does. People have much less sympathy for someone who acts stupid when they look "normal",
Like me, as Roger might say. :)
Would you have belted the guy for his racist anti-italian remark if you didn't know he was a special needs person? If yes, yous gots some anger issues.
If not, then blick clickity whirr boop bleep!
RainBot Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> gingaio Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I put this through Babelfish, translated from
> > "Narn" to "English."
> >And for that other question
> > you forgot to ask, he was wearing civvies, too.
>
> That *was* my last question:"Clickity click beep
> boop?". Thanks for answering it.
>
"a karate instructor" does not automatically mean the karate instructor was wearing a gi. Maybe it's because of all these MMA places now where everybody dresses like they're going surfing. Anyway...Your whole line of questioning made a bunch of assumptions and associations that were unfounded, simply because I said that the kid made a Karate Kid remark, you in fact replicated his presumptions--the dojo, the gi, etc...
>
> But you didn't answer my first question. Do you
> look like Ralph Machio?
>
No.
>
> Thing is... a special needs person who looks more
> "normal" is more likely to get taken advantage of
> or simply physically hurt because of something
> inappropriate one says or does. People have much
> less sympathy for someone who acts stupid when
> they look "normal",
>
This class was in a home for special needs adults. It wasn't my first time visiting a place like this before. I am familiar with the situation. Let me ask you a question, though. How much have you worked with special needs people? Because you've been making a lot of sweeping assumptions about who they are and what they're capable or not capable of, in a very general way.

Also, if you really think, given the tenor of my posts above, that I would really punch out someone who was mentally disabled (or someone in general for a stupid remark), then yes, I'd have to concur with Roger about you. And therefore, I would never hurt you either.

> beep beep clickety click.

Mason wrote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
>There are some things that are so right, and yest so wrong, with that sentence.
>;-)

You are obviously not a true Karate Kid fan. Send me another $3! Dork.



Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2009 05:48PM by gingaio.
Oh btw...have you heard of the new Karate Kid movie with Jackie Chan and Will Smith's son?

It takes place in China, little kid learning kung fu to fight back those mean chinese bullies in school. Yes, it's called "The Karate Kid", not the "The Kung Fu Kid". Hollywood sucks.
I just had an idea so smart, it's retarded.

As a scale reference in your auctions, include a little green army man. Everyone knows how big they are, and you can actually INCLUDE the army man when you ship the toy! That way, no complaints that they thought the auction included a battery or a pack of cigs!

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
gingaio Wrote:

> "a karate instructor" does not automatically mean
> the karate instructor was wearing a gi. Maybe it's
> because of all these MMA places now where
> everybody dresses like they're going surfing.
> Anyway...Your whole line of questioning made a
> bunch of assumptions and associations that were
> unfounded, simply because I said that the kid made
> a Karate Kid remark, you in fact replicated his
> presumptions--the dojo, the gi, etc...

Yes, TOTALLY unfounded. From outta left field. You're right. Boop.

> > But you didn't answer my first question. Do you
> > look like Ralph Machio?
> >
> No.


Well, thanks for clearing that up. I was confused!

> This class was in a home for special needs adults.
> It wasn't my first time visiting a place like this
> before. I am familiar with the situation. Let me
> ask you a question, though. How much have you
> worked with special needs people?

Oh, you might say I've had some experience.

>Because you've
> been making a lot of sweeping assumptions about
> who they are and what they're capable or not
> capable of, in a very general way.

You're right!
In order to have a conversation on a message board one has to generalize. Interestingly, the Umbrella Term of Special Education also covers those folks of gifted intelligence (as in some Aspberger's folks and others who do not have a diagnosis). If I wasn't clear on whom I was generalizing about, I'll make a generalized apology.

>
> Also, if you really think, given the tenor of my
> posts above, that I would really punch out someone
> who was mentally disabled (or someone in general
> for a stupid remark), then yes, I'd have to concur
> with Roger about you. And therefore, I would never
> hurt you either.

Well, that's a relief.
Perhaps it was my Narnian getting messed up in Babelfish, but the symbols such as these ;) :) were meant to convey a light-hearted comment. Again, I have failed to master your earth humor. I shall now hang my head in shame.

Does this mean I can't buy rubber cat toys from you on eBay as well? :(
Very generally speaking, if you've reached the point where you feel you have to explain your use of alien glyphs to me [did Oscar Wilde resort to such arcana? Monty Python? Benny Hill?], then we're back to beep beep clickety click.

By the way I still don't know what this means--;)

[EDIT 1]: Yes, Special Needs covers a lot of people. Not sure what your point is, though.

[EDIT 2]: I just stepped outside and visited my neighbor Felix. When he answered the door, I said, "Hey, Felix, I slept with your wife." He was understandably upset. Then I added, "Semicolon, right parenthesis." That did not help. So no, I don't think this symbol--;)--works on my planet.



Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2009 12:32AM by gingaio.
gingaio Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>Not sure what your point is, though.

That makes three of us.

> : I just stepped outside and visited my neighbor
> Felix. When he answered the door, I said, "Hey,
> Felix, I slept with your wife." He was
> understandably upset. Then I added, "Semicolon,
> right parenthesis." That did not help. So no, I
> don't think this symbol--;)--works on my planet.

Why the hell would you admit to sleeping with somebody's wife just to make a point on a Japanese Toy phorum? Poor Felix. What did his wife say?
You didn't deck her too, did ya?
RainBot Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why the hell would you admit to sleeping with
> somebody's wife just to make a point on a Japanese
> Toy phorum?
>
Call it a philological experiment. Or, you know, whatever.
>
> Poor Felix. What did his wife say?
> You didn't deck her too, did ya?
>
No, she was a 'tard.
And Felix outweighs me by a good hundred pounds, so I ran fast as I could back into my house.
Gingaio, last time I checked, I wasn't your next door neighbor.
Gcrush, I was thinking of you when I came across this thread:

[threads.rebelscum.com]

What a class act. He attempts to get rare Star Wars items cheaper by saying he has a sick son who wants them, and then resells them. A serial offender, too.
mcfitch (Admin)
Are rare Star Wars items the cure for what ails his son?
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer