Next year's Power Rangers, will be the original ones?

Posted by Vincent Z. 
[toynewsi.com]

Reminds me of what was done for Transformers Generation 2.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

New Goddamn MMPR toys! Bring on the new Megazord and Dragonzord toy. Hopefully they change nothing from the original toy designs, except maybe actually add some articulation.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
[www.bandai.com]

I laugh at this.

Disney is done with Power Rangers and RPM is the sawn song (and, frankly, it's damn cool), but when this was announced Bandai quickly piped up and said NO, NO, it's not over! It sounded a whole lot like a frantic attempt to quiet nervous companies that were tied to the PR license. NOT THAT THERE ARE MANY OF THOSE ANYMORE.

Toei whips out a new Super Sentai that looks like it would be crazy hard to adapt into an American product after their bald faced attempt to suck up to Disney (I mean, come on, didn't Go-Onger look like the Pixar's 'Cars' version of a Sentai show?) to get the old contract extended, so I wondered what Bandai America was talking about.

And there it is, retreat to the old playbook, the first Power Rangers.

It ain't gonna work, guys. The way things are, it's not the way things were. Jyuranger Reborn isn't going to trigger Christmas Insanity like 1993. It's just not going to happen.

Disney doesn't care, ANYTHING they put in the 12-1 Sat. timeslot will pull the same ratings and make the same money from commercials. Me, I'd rather see Kim Possible come back. That was a fun cartoon.

But I'll enjoy Power Rangers RPM to the end of the run. They've had a lot of fun with that show.
As long as I'm able to get the robots in all of their classic DX glory, I don't care what they do.
Marasai Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As long as I'm able to get the robots in all of
> their classic DX glory, I don't care what they do.

I got a gut instinct that they'll be new molds, and they'll be smaller and simplified.

Why do I say that? Well, the tools (molds) for the Jyuranger stuff might not EXIST anymore, and frankly, it also makes too much sense for Bandai to simply re-pop the old toys.

Yeah, I know, I'm still stuck on "Bandai does stupid things because nobody tells them not to" aren't I?

and there's a valid question if they can sell it to the few remaining stores that sell toys. With Walmart shrinking their toy department by 30%, Toys R Us struggling along, Target and KMart getting pressured by Mattel and Hasbro to carry mostly their stuff, it's going to be damn hard selling the line.
I'm confused...they've been putting out PR every year since they started doing it. They just take the current Sentai show and redo it. Is this big "to-do" saying they are breaking from that pattern and just going back to the original PR aka Zyurangers?

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
hillsy Wrote:
> I'm confused...they've been putting out PR every
> year since they started doing it. They just take
> the current Sentai show and redo it. Is this big
> "to-do" saying they are breaking from that pattern
> and just going back to the original PR aka
> Zyurangers?

Well, they skipped a bit when they tried to do a 'season 2' of the Jyuranger stuff...it took them a few years to key into the idea that a new series every year wasn't a bad thing.

Mind I am not huge in the Super Sentai or PR stuff. altho I loves me some Changeman and Jetman.

What I recall is that the ratings for PR have been sliding for years, and Disney (who, recall, bought out Saban) decided to pull the plug with Go-Onger/PR-RPM, so this was something decided like last year. The edict was the producers could pretty much do whatever they wanted as it was the last year, and they've turned out a pretty entertaining show. I assume there's timing involved with contracts with Toei, and given the Dollar/Yen exchange rate (or, hell the Dollar in general!) it probably made sense to just end it.

But Power Rangers is one of the few toylines that has been a success, even as marginal as it has been the past few years.

of course I'm crazy, I think part of the problem has been how Bandai has spayed the toys for sale in America, instead of selling straight re-pops of the Japanese toys at cheaper prices. Fear of reverse importing? that's crazy talk!

Bandai NEEDS Power Rangers to stay on shelves, yet there's so many less places to sell to, just like CDs, just like DVDs, just like books...spiraling smaller and smaller, tighter and tighter, selling less and less because there's no place to FIND the stuff.

blah blah blah
well, they COULD always sell Gundam again. That seemed to work really well. But that would just be crazy, wouldn't it.

Their little blurb about this made it sound almost like they were doing a Greatest Hits type line though. Like it wouldn't just be MMPR, but other series as well over the next year being reintroduced.
But they've been DOING a 'greatest hits' line with the action figures for, what a year or more? Reading that press release tells me it's just straight up starting from zero again with Jyuranger/MMPR.

It's not going to do what they hope. It's just not. It's not POSSIBLE.

1993 you had Toys R Us, Kay Bee Toys, Circus World, Target, KMart, Walmart, the various catalog stores like Service merchandise and others..lots of stores to sell MMPR toys to. The show was part of the weekday Fox kidvid block running in the afternoon, prime time to capture the attention of 8-12 year old boys, all amped up home from school and excited to watch. THIS is what helped make Power Rangers a big hit.

And that's ALL GONE. It's like releasing a line of 8-track tapes, thinking that it's going to be as big a hit as the vinyl LP 'mini boom' has been. There's no support infrastructure.

Can't you see a dad who grew up with MMPR picking up a new release of the classic toy? "hey, I remember this...holy crap, $80? sheeee-it."

And hey, didn't they do a half-assed revival of the MMPR toys just a few years ago? Somebody has to remember that...
As long as the original three zords are reissued, or something just as cool.

[www.youtube.com]

THE MEGAZORD IS BACK!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2009 10:47PM by Vincent Z..
Attachments:
open | download - 1255650107905.jpg (23.1 KB)
Vincent Z. Wrote:
> [www.youtube.com]
>
> THE MEGAZORD IS BACK!

Bullshit. That's not the original toy, and what the fuck are all those extra figure + vehicle combining things supposed to be, and why the hell did someone tack them onto the Megazord? The first half of the tease was awesome... new Ranger figures and new Putty figures, but the second half with the made up shit looked terrible, and just like all the PR crap I've been ignoring for the past five years.

[prometheusrising.net]
Vincent Z. Wrote:
> [www.youtube.com]
>
> THE MEGAZORD IS BACK!

Man, admittedly I'm not a PR fan, but that looks awful!

More serious than thou
PSSSSSST

Look who's out now.

It's NOT the exact mold of original but a new one based on the old Megazord design.

Attachments:
open | download - 1258413608881.jpg (241.5 KB)
open | download - 1258413632815.jpg (229.4 KB)
open | download - 1258413769799.jpg (70.1 KB)
Vincent Z. Wrote:
>
> It's NOT the exact mold of original but a new one
> based on the old Megazord design.

I can't tell the difference. Let us know when there's a comparison photo with the original toy.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Anonymous User
Here's a pretty decent vid review of the new one:

[www.hisstank.com]

And JoshB's Collection DX review of the old one:

[www.collectiondx.com]

I wish the reviewer gave an indication of price, which I think will end up being a major factor on whether or not I buy the new one.
The new one is $24 from what I hear. Way more affordable than what I'd thought it'd be.

The review is neat, and for $24 it would be a steal... it's kinda weird tho. It's got some improvements over the original, especially on all the parts you used to be able to lose (tail tip, horns, tusks), but then they super cheaped it up with things like huge hollows and non-functioning rollers. I'd be curious to put it side by side with my original just to see how different the toolings really are.

[prometheusrising.net]
Ive been keeping my eyes open for the new zords but havent seen them. I did go ahead pick up the red and green ranger.
Anonymous User
Vincent Z. Wrote:
> The new one is $24 from what I hear. Way more
> affordable than what I'd thought it'd be.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I expected much worse.
Someone's comparison pic.

Attachments:
open | download - 1258878964946.jpg (63.4 KB)
Wow... I gotta say, the new, skinny one looks better.
This is like the polar opposite of the Isis Command Megazord.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
B00
Just got the new re-make Megazord, and it is indeed $25.00. It's pretty solid I hope they make a new dragon zord to go with it.

> Just got the new re-make Megazord, and it is
> indeed $25.00. It's pretty solid I hope they make
> a new dragon zord to go with it.

Where are you finding it?

More serious than thou
B00
Walmart.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2009 08:49PM by B00.
Attachments:
open | download - Zord_1.jpg (375 KB)
open | download - Zord_2.jpg (442.8 KB)
So, based on the different proportions throughout, I'm inclined to saw it is a 100% new sculpt based on the original, I guess like how the other modern PR figures were done, instead of just a cheapened re-tool.

[prometheusrising.net]
B00
yeah, it a new mold. The Zords combine exactly like the original one, it's just each Zord's construction is noticeably less complex than the originals. Fun toy though, very playable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2009 09:27PM by B00.
I couldn't find the Megazord (looked at two Targets and a TRU), but I did find one each of a pink and yellow ranger. I figured I'd get those now because I doubt I'll ever see those on the shelf again (female rangers tend to be rare). They're pretty neat. I hope to find a green ranger though.

I got the new Megazord at Target for $20: [www.collectiondx.com]

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
I saw at few this weekend for $21 at my local target. It's a freaking bargain. It's better proportioned then the old one, has the Zuyrnager sticers instead of the crappy US ones... and did I mention it's $25 out the door? Might be the best robot value of the year.

Sure, it feels a little cheaper then the original but still a good toy.
I saw the new megazord at walmart a couple weeks back. Something about it seems off (other than the obvious new mold). I just can't like the new proportions. Guess its the toy nostalgia nazi in me.
Does it have elbow and knee articulation, or does it just look like that?

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
The Megazord has inwards elbow articulation due to how the Mastadon transforms, so you can pose the shield guarding the body better, but no knees.

[prometheusrising.net]
I know most people here are at least 10 years older than me but did anyone happen to catch the "new" Power Rangers last Saturday? Oh shit did both lol and reminisce.

Basically it's almost exactly what I thought it'd be. A Transformers G2 equivalent of Power Rangers. They added various effects to the footage for example, Adam West Batman styled words during some fight scenes.

I saw some of it, but then my dad made us turn it off bc/ he had a headache. I got totally nostalgic and was loving seeing the old crew again (I haven't seen MMPR since I was like 7 or 8), but I found alot of the editing stuff distracting... G2 just added funky transitions, but there were alot more annoying little freeze-frame effects added to PR. I did sort of like the 'Bam-Biff-Pow!' effects they added. Did they do anything cool when the zords showed up? I only saw up to the Putty attack and had to turn it off.

[prometheusrising.net]
>Did they do anything cool when the zords showed up?

They had a panel on the screen saying the zord name and which ranger it belongs to.

I FINALLY found the Megazord and it's quite good but I will say that if you already have a pristine one from 1993 then it's probably not worth tracking down. I do like that the arms are removable though. Lack of chrome makes me ;_;.

So now I have that and four rangers (pink, yellow, green and red).

I have my original, which I got right before pics of the new Megazord surfaced, but I was impressed by the new one when my little brother got it. He keeps asking about a Dragonzord tho... any word on that? He has a KO vintage one, that drapes over the top OK, but doesn't combine the other way.

I like the 3" figures as well... they aren't perfect, or nearly as good as the stuff from recent GIJoe lines, but they are solid and decently sculpted. Getting a new Putty toy after all these years was a treat, even if it's not a dismemberable Z-Putty.

[prometheusrising.net]
I should note that the design isn't unfamiliar since that I did have a CRAPPY HK bootleg of Daijyujin with Dragon Caesar. I originally thought that it was the Japanese version (c'mon, I was 14 at the time. give me a break).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer