Prometheus Rising Studios

Posted by Prometheum5 

FOE Gallery is hosting an awesome themed show in February. Mike Nordstrom is undoubtedly the world’s leading Garamon expert and aficionado, and has curated a show that is going to knock socks off. I was thrilled to get asked to participate alongside guys like Mark Nagata, Bob Conge, and Koji Harmon. I went for a realistic finish rather than Monster Kolor craziness, going full ‘model kit’ style on this super detailed sculpt. Show opens February 10th in Northampton!

Chilly Garamon is painted with Monster Kolor and acrylics, sealed for protection, and given a velvety smooth matte finish. I use airbrush work, washes, drybrushing, and filters to add depth and variation to the details and am super stoked with how it came out. He’s articulated at the hips, tail, arms, and head, with a ball-jointed neck! It’s a very expressive sculpt that captures the grossness and doofyness of Garamon perfectly

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Excellent Ben! Looks straight out of an old model kit catalog.

I'm planning on getting up to FOE to check out this show. Not a huge Garamon fan overall, but the enthusiasm behind this event seems to be pretty contagious...and I haven't been up to the shop in quite a while.
Diving Beetle!

[prometheusrising.net]

[prometheusrising.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2012 12:40PM by Prometheum5.

I was sent this Hasegawa plastic kit along with the matching set of figures and commissioned to make a maintenance diorama. The base is scratchbuilt by me.

Lots more pics on [prometheusrising.net]

[prometheusrising.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2012 02:40PM by Prometheum5.
MSW
Great job and very professional! What is the shiny thing in the pilot seat?
MSW Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great job and very professional! What is the shiny
> thing in the pilot seat?

Thanks. That's actually the pilot with his neuro-helmet. The kit comes with options for a VR-style helmet or a more traditional pilot.

[prometheusrising.net]
Fantastic work!
Love dioramas. Great job Ben! Did the tool kit come with the figure set?
All the little wiring and plumbing details got highlighted nice.
Thanks Jon! The tool set came with the figures... I don't have the skill to make those! All of the plumbing on the vehicle is from the kit with the exception of the cockpit, which I added to.

[prometheusrising.net]
it's go dual holy cricket bats
Prometheum5 Wrote:
> Thanks Jon! The tool set came with the figures...
> I don't have the skill to make those! All of the
> plumbing on the vehicle is from the kit with the
> exception of the cockpit, which I added to.

If you have the skills to make such a nice diorama, you have the skills to scratchbuild small items like those! It is absolutely gorgeous!

How did you do the tree? It seems to lack the "flocky leaves" that many diorama trees suffer from...

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
thomas Wrote:
> Prometheum5 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Thanks Jon! The tool set came with the
> figures...
> > I don't have the skill to make those! All of
> the
> > plumbing on the vehicle is from the kit with
> the
> > exception of the cockpit, which I added to.
>
> If you have the skills to make such a nice
> diorama, you have the skills to scratchbuild small
> items like those! It is absolutely gorgeous!
>
> How did you do the tree? It seems to lack the
> "flocky leaves" that many diorama trees suffer
> from...

It's a Woodland Scenics tree armature bent to shape, and then I used Woodland Scenics tree foliage stuff that I got a while back. It's sorta like flock, but it comes in little sprigs on tiny fake stems, so it looks more like foliage and less like flock by adding volume and depth.

[prometheusrising.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2012 10:21AM by Prometheum5.
Two model kits in as many days?!?

The Microman Bio Mechanic suits were model kits released at the tail end of the original Microman line and reissued by Romando in the 90s. You can read a thorough history of them at Microforever, but the sparknotes version is that they are chunky, rugged snap-fit battle armor kits for Microman figures. This one started out life as the tan and brown Desert Filtered type, but I was on a blue kick when I airbrushed it a while back. Microman is a pretty veteran toy franchise, so I went heavy with the weathering as if this unit had been there since the beginning.

As always, more pics at PRS!
[prometheusrising.net]

[prometheusrising.net]
Nice. I really like these.

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
That Biosuit is fantastic. I own all six variants (3 of two different designs) but only added some minor painted detail to my very first one, my only Takara original (the rest are Roman-do rereleases). I also had an extra of this one from the Roman-do release that I just awarded as a prize in a Micronaut/man custom contest I held a few weeks ago (you can see the entries at my micro-blog, [rockettubes.livejournal.com] ). It's great to see such a realistic treatment of the kit as this was a direction Takara started to go ("real type" mecha to try to get in on the GunPla boom) before Transformers replaced the series. I really like all the rust, it really gives it an almost die cast metal look let alone a realistic iron/steel appearance. It is a bit ironic you painted it blue, given that the color scheme is closer to that of the other variant of the suit, but man do I dig it.

I should also note that the suits (and figures, which have a lot of familiar motifs from his other stuff) were most likely designed by Aramaki Shinji when he was contracting with Takara during this period. He also designed some of the very first MicroChange toys which later became Transformers (the cassettes, Soundwave, and others--note that these were all "good guys" in the original!). His work on the line was a part of a larger whole created by Takara's own Microman designers at that time, Hideaki Yoke (designer of the Rescue Base and largely responsible for the "New Microman" more robot-oriented reboot of the series in 1980) and Koujin Ohno--who created the first Car Robots for Diaclone. Both men would become big names associated with the success of the Transformers franchise.

Aramaki designed a pair of full-sized cassettes that changed to a Microman bike and helicopter (never used in Transformers, but brought back for the 1999 Microman toyline later), and it was while working on the bike that he came up with the idea for the ride armor in Mospeada. :D
I second Hillsy on this: great job and completely professional appearance.
Let me put this out there: if the suit came in weathered transparent mekanik fashion, I would buy an army of 300...
Taking a quick break from the Shapeways stuff...

I'm back with another vintage soft vinyl mecha kit build and write-up. This is the General Products early 80's vinyl kit of The Powered Suit not licensed as from Starship Troopers, but rather based on the version that appeared in the DAICON III Opening Animation in 1981 by the animators that went on to become Gainax.

For a long write-up, review of the kit, and build pics, check out my review over at CollectionDX.
[www.collectiondx.com]

For many more hi-res pics and detail shots, check out the post on my site, Prometheus Rising Studios.
[prometheusrising.net]

Let me know what you guys think!

[prometheusrising.net]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer