Prometheus Rising Studios

Posted by Prometheum5 
Thanks. There actually IS a bit of sheen... I'm pretty sure when I was doing this, the 'clean' camo'd up figure started out shiny, for that extra girly custom hot-rod look, and so after all the weathering and dusting and such it's got just a touch of satin finish to the upper surfaces. I've read some interesting discussions by tank modelers about whether a model should be dead flat or have a little sheen, since alot of the time the actual paint on an armored vehicle is not dead flat, so this was me trying that out.

And digital camo WOULD be awesome, but also a huuuuuge bitch. That's what I was originally thinking with this, which is why I went with a hard-edged camo instead of splotchy or round.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2009 09:56AM by Prometheum5.
Prometheum5 Wrote:
> I've read some interesting discussions by tank modelers
> about whether a model should be dead flat or have
> a little sheen, since alot of the time the actual
> paint on an armored vehicle is not dead flat, so
> this was me trying that out.

That's a tricky concept, though. On a life-sized vehicle, even if it has the same level of gloss/matte as the model, the shape and size of the reflections will be different, particularly under natural lighting.
I don't have a qualified opinion on the shininess of the finish on your Brutishdog, but I do think that the way it's lit in your photos makes it a little too obvious that there's a light source very close above it. I think if the lighting were more diffuse, it would LOOK more "realistically matte", even with the paint finish it has now.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Yo ben, I watched these vids forever ago and your Scopey's line work reminded me of it. You might be interested in the way this guy lays it down.
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
This is a kit I finished two years ago, and the battle damage weathering isn't great, but I did a ton of physical mod work and am still really proud of this guy:

Wave 1/24 kit built up two years ago and never photographed. I used a bunch of metal replacement parts and scratchbuilt some details as well. I also redid alot of the articulation to fix the shoulders, hips, and ankles, and enable the Scopey to hold his rifle well and roller dash with style.

Longer description and more pics on my site here:

[url="[url]http://prometheusrising.wordpress.com/2010/01/01/wave-124-atm-09-sttc-berlin-brigade-scopedog-turbo-custom/"[/url];]Scopedog Turbo Custom[/url]

[img]http://prometheusrising.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/wave_1-24_scopedog_turbo_custom_berlin_brigade_01.png[/img]
[img]http://prometheusrising.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/wave_1-24_scopedog_turbo_custom_berlin_brigade_03.png[/img]
[img]http://prometheusrising.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/wave_1-24_scopedog_turbo_custom_berlin_brigade_08.png[/img]
[img]http://prometheusrising.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/wave_1-24_scopedog_turbo_custom_berlin_brigade_09.png[/img]
[img]http://prometheusrising.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/wave_1-24_scopedog_turbo_custom_berlin_brigade_11.png[/img]
[img]http://prometheusrising.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/wave_1-24_scopedog_turbo_custom_berlin_brigade_23.png[/img]

He's not shiny at all :P

[url]http://prometheusrising.net/[/url]
Sanjeev (Admin)
LOVE that camo scheme!
I don't know if people check this thread or my blog directly, so I'll just keep dumping highlights from my posts:

[prometheusrising.net]
Oh, I dunno. If I click on your link, there might be somethin' scary! =0)

Thanks for the highlights, here. I love some of those camo jobs.
One question on that last Scopedog, did you add panels, or the extra boogerweld beads around them? Or did the original kit come complete with those. It actually looks like somebody found the stuff and upgraded it in the junkyard, with the only random welding rods the could get their hands on. I like that.
Yeah, I added some panels like on the torso vents and did the weld beads from putty. I wanted to try out putty weld beads on something 'less important' than a tank model, where accuracy counts alot more. I'm pretty happy with how most of them came out (especially on the neck and visor), but some of them are really oversized. I just noticed that after all that putty work, I did not even bother to do welds mounting those extra handles to the torso... oh well. I also cut out the vents on the inside of the lower legs and added the metal vanes there, which is why they look so bad.

[prometheusrising.net]
Heh, considering the tiny size of most of those models, you would have to have a tiny opening on the putty tube to squirt out such tiny, scale accurate welds.

Actually welds of that size are made for real in many applications, but they're made of many, many overlaid weld beads. Doing those many beads in scale would be so craze inducingly tiny, I'd run off screaming, trying it with a model!

Forget the scale, I was just impressed you did a good job of the "stacked dimes" effect of real weld bead.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Ben, do you have all the Neo Eyezons??? That set looks killer!

I was gonna mention that I totally lucked out recently and scored the two glowies (yellow with red eyes and the red-veined one) for pretty cheap offa skullbrain. AND I actually got my hands on the Kaiju Blue exclusive glow ST Eyezon. I'll post pics once I receive these guys...

Back to the Scopey, I saw a Discovery Channel show about the construction of a massive off-highway dump truck, and part of it detailed the welding of the four- or five-part superstructure. That was a LOT of welding!
mcfitch (Admin)
Ben,
Great work as always. I really like the Scopey, and the camo pattern. No you can start painting my ForgeWorld superheavies ;-)
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
Sanjeev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ben, do you have all the Neo Eyezons??? That set
> looks killer!
>
> I was gonna mention that I totally lucked out
> recently and scored the two glowies (yellow with
> red eyes and the red-veined one) for pretty cheap
> offa skullbrain. AND I actually got my hands on
> the Kaiju Blue exclusive glow ST Eyezon. I'll post
> pics once I receive these guys...
>
> Back to the Scopey, I saw a Discovery Channel show
> about the construction of a massive off-highway
> dump truck, and part of it detailed the welding of
> the four- or five-part superstructure. That was a
> LOT of welding!

I am missing the GID with orange rub magazine exclusive one DR released in Japan. If one of those turns up, it's mine :P Other than that, the above is every regular/show release, as well as the GID MT Club one (red lines), my Mark Nagata Toy Karma show piece (GID with red eyes), and another Nagata hand-paint from a show before X-mas in Japan (not sure which) (the red fade one).

Which GID did score that is yellow with red eyes? Like I said, mine's a Toy Karma show piece, so there's not more than one of it... is yours a similar 1-off? I'd love to get more Nagata handpainted NE's... I need one on the pink vinyl (there was a blue metallic spray that would match by older Nagata hand-painted Cap. Maxx). There's also a shot from Mark's house when everyone went there before the show in SF that shows a black vinyl NE, so hopefully we will be seeing more.

[prometheusrising.net]
Found the missing link:

And now, on to part of my current fixation:

There's another pic on my site of what vinyls made it to school with me. Couple custom fodders included.

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Nice Pheyaos mini...Y!J score?

Sorry...not much love for the Bemon smoggy...I'm a 2-headed Bemon fan *only*... You gonna paint it?
I think I'm gonna leave this pollution monster alone... the body has this neat two-one pink and tan vinyl that is really unique.

[prometheusrising.net]
Oh, and here's my It Came From Skullbrain custom:

[prometheusrising.net]
That dragon rocks!
Sweet Manda, Ben! Love the color choices there.

-dylan
Manda sold on the S7 site! Really quite flattering.

Finished this:

[prometheusrising.wordpress.com]

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
I saw one of these figures at Doughty's place before. Weird, but neat, I guess. But without any knowledge of the story behind it, I wasn't too impressed...

I forget what it originally looked like, so I'm not sure what you did to it! ;) I assume you did the weathering...nice!
There's apparently more ZM toys that I realized, and maybe a comic book? I'm going to have to track down some more of these.. specifically this one:

And there is a newer upgraded version of the one I have with a new rifle and camo scheme. There's also some much more samurai-looking ones, and a few lighter armored female jet-troopers of some sort.

Sanjeev, the figure was sort of olive molded plastic with a heavy overbrushing of off-white. Functional, and a bit weathered looking, but bland, with no markings except the orange trim.

[prometheusrising.net]

She got a TV eye on me.

[prometheusrising.net]
Soo.....
I had been reading some recent comics, and was inspired by some glowing energy on characters that inspired me to try some serious fades and glowing effects with the new MK paint I had just gotten in the mail, and they performed well beyond my expectations. I started with the red-yellow hot-looking fade, and then blocked in all of the ‘armor’ looking bits in black, to make it look like Jet Jaguar was red-hot with energy, sealed inside a containment suit. I highlighted the black with a little blue, and picked out some parts in bright silver, since I wanted to try every paint in the set. I then worked on the green, first just a glowing effect from the hands and eyes. From there I tried out the Purple Pearl paint I got, which shows up the most on the darker areas. I was expecting it to tint the bright silver purple, but this was a learning experience.

The green contrasted, but wasn’t doing enough for me, so I was trying to decide how to finish the figure. When I was spraying the Monster Kolor, I realized just how thin and fine it sprayed compared to the much thicker acrylics. I was finally able to use my Super-Fine tip and needle, and added in all of the cackling energy lightening effect… JJ is souped up and ready for battle, oozing raw energy and looking for a monster to vent on!

And now, the pics... as always, more here:

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
That effect actually looks pretty bitchin'! I probably would have laid out the location of the electrical discharges a little differently, but it sure came out convincing! I love it...nice job! That Monster Kolor working out pretty nicely, huh?

Vaguely controlled chaos, but at least I got more ro-butts out again!

[prometheusrising.net]
It's been a while since I painted a mech:

So, it's been a while since I touched anything Battletech, but I dug up my Armorcast stash while doing some housecleaning, so I figured it was time to actually build one. These kits kick ass... they fall together and look awesome, so all of the fun comes from painting them, rather than getting hung up on any complex or fragile assembly.

You can see even more pics and a description of what i did on my site, here:

Thanks for looking, and let me know what you guys think! I had a ton of fun working on this big guy.

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
'Bout time you posted pics of that thing. Looking good, of course...and nice photography, too.

The only thing I'd recommend would be to take some photos with other in-scale stuff that we recognize (like jeeps or tanks) or just other toys that go with it in general. As it is now, it's tough to get a proper sense of size from these shots.
Yeah, the camera battery was dying so I rushed through these... I'll have to take a pic with a 1/60 Valk... that's the most common scale denominator for people ;) I should get a 1/60 scale Tiger I, since I use the Scaletiger as a standard on my site, but I don't know if anyone makes one in 1/60.

[prometheusrising.net]

New stuff, new camera technique, new painting techniques.

[prometheusrising.net]
Restore is an awesome resin and vinyl garage kit and designer toy company that makes some really incredible stuff. They are having a painting contest of their first vinyl figure, so, here's my Debris Japan contest figure so far...

Freshly sprayed with Monster Kolor, and then blocked in the base color for the teeth and nails.

Test fitting some accessories, teeth and nails basically done.

The figure is based on traditional Japanese Oni demons, so I am running with that theme and making my own Oni in a very ‘realistic’ style. This photo shows my figure after being sprayed with Monster Kolor and then having the teeth and nails base color blocked in. The skin tone will end up with a matte finish on the final figure, but I leave it gloss while doing all my detail work so I can easily wipe off a mistake.

[prometheusrising.net]
All done and submitted!

This Oni was born blind and hornless, and named Gikaku (フェイク鬼- ‘false Oni’). He was too embarrassing to keep after waiting so long for his birth, so a prosthetic horn (義角) was fused to his head and he was cast out. Now, Gikaku travels alone, appearing only in place of a person being expected. To see Gikaku is a terrible curse, and he is greatly feared. The fundoshi reads ‘Great curse (dai-kyō, 大凶)’ and ‘待人 (machibito) – a person being waited for’, based on Omikuji fortune terms.

I painted my Oni in a ‘realistic’ fashion as if it were a resin garage kit. All of the spray work was done with Monster Kolor, with the details done with acrylic brush work. Various accessories were scratchbuilt and attached, except for the medallions, which were found in the bottom of a bead display at the local hobby store

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Looks much nicer matte.
His name is ben not matt. Maybe you're confusing him with matt alt. Easy mistake.

--------------------------
I want YOU for Moé Sucks Army
Sanjeev (Admin)
All you people look alike to me.
aw yeah. Armorcast Vulture

put it next to your Warhammer
Looks great, Ben! Really fantastic job. One of your best workups. But I have to disagree with Sanjeev, I really prefer the gloss. Something about the shine. Plus I think it made the colors blend better. But like other things, everyone has an opinion. As long as you are happy with it (and the judges!)...
So, I made this Gundam, but it's not like everyone else's Gundam...

Clover style, baby. Bandai’s Master Grade RX-78-2 Gundam ver. 2.0 is a heck of a kit. The design is clean and ‘doughy’ in a way that manages to capture the feel of the anime very well. The sharp and clean design made the perfect subject for a Monster Kolor powered airbrushed paint job. I wanted to do something more original than a clean white Gundam, so I followed a scheme similar to the original Clover Gundam toys, which were silver instead of white. Obviously I could not leave it just clean and smooth, because that would be boring, so I proceeded to apply the entire waterslide decal sheet Bandai sells for this kit, making for some interesting contrast against the clean sculpt. I think Katoki would be proud.

As awlays, lots more pics on my site:
Yes, there is a big paint flaw on the Super Napalm Launcher visible in some of the shots. I have since sanded off and corrected the problem. I submitted some shots of this guy to a Gundam painting contest and conveniently only used shots that hid the issue.

Also, new camera and new lens, so please let me know what you guys think of the actual images as well as the model. Still learning the new gear.

[prometheusrising.net]
Mighty impressive work!

The silver is definitely a nice alternative to straight white coloring!
I like Clover!
Nice job on the coloring Ben. The textured dark silver parts look pretty cool.
Beautiful work! Feel free to ship it to me any time. ;)

Thanks, Ken-A
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer