Prometheus Rising Studios

Posted by Prometheum5 
Sanjeev (Admin)
Of course it's oppressive baggage, dude.

You've seen it yourself a million times on skullbrain: these dude's honestly think they're better/superior/more pure than people who collect kidrobot toys, Chinese vinyl, Transformers, etc...

There's your "upper class" right there. It gets borderline 3rd fucking Reich over there...and you know this.

Because this unpainted Zudon is SOOOOO "special" and "rare" and "exclusive"...it's somehow better than the latest GI Joe guy on a peg at TRU. And, thus, the collector of said Zudon is elevated above the unwashed masses.

[And note how never once do the *actual* merits of the physical object as a "toy" come into discussion!]

Tell me I'm wrong. Kid, I've seen *you* drop plenty of biting, snarky comments on that board to jab at this bullshit. And gods bless your soul for it! So I know you know what I'm talking about.
See, what's funny is, even tho you'll almost never catch a Skullbrainer saying it, figures like the Zudon really ARE fun based solely on their merits as a plaything, and the real reason I own any. Even toy-hating-Dave was saying at CDXHQ how the figure was actually kinda fun just as a toy, but all the headache surrounding such a purchase is just not worth the hassle for most, or the price. And yet, as an unpainted piece it was still boring. The poseable eye is the biggest draw, but it's worthless without a painted 'eye' to move around.
ALL of my toy purchasing decisions come down to the merits of the toy before any consideration, and it's boggled me all summer how that is completely lost on Skullbrain. It amazes me just how much the 'name brand' hype matters to the vinyl heads, and then when they become self aware of it, it turns in to a downward spiral of self-loathing. :D Skullbrain has been greatly useful to me for getting into the vinyl stuff, and acquiring the figures, but as a forum it tries to hard to drive you away. I'd love to find out who 'Feldmen' was, as he's GOT to be from SKullbrain by some route.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
You're right...it bugs the living shit out of me. Doesn't mean I think more of it than it is. I guess I see a clear distinction between "elitism" and "classism". "Elitism" to me is, in your own mind or a group's mind, thinking you're superior. "Classism" (again, to me) is when you use that said feeling of superiority to exploit or to benefit at the expense of the percieved "lower" class.

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Well, some of the 'Brainers noticed the comment... which is exciting because it means people must actually check my site! For the record, I DID get some nice comments from the Skullbrain people... guess the ones who didn't approve were otherwise nice enough to leave well alone.

[prometheusrising.net]
I'm surprised (pleasantly) the pack mentality didn't kick in. Like was mentioned over there, it's probably NOT Garimpo, just a smartass. I don't think a shopowner gives a shit what happens to a product once it sells!

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Woooo! Causin' a ruckus Ben. I love it. Glad to see you stick to what you like to do, and secure enough to realize that's OK.

Ok, seems what needs to be done next, (since ol' Sanjeev mentioned Glyos), is to video or photo some sort of actual play/abuse put to one of these "precious" vinyl TOYS. Put a squeaker in it, smack it on the ground, partially bury it in a sandbox, ..whatever, etc. Just to hear the horrified shreiks, and gnashing of teeth.
I think a grill and some lighter fluid would be a good customizing method....;)

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
hillsy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You're right...it bugs the living shit out of me.
> Doesn't mean I think more of it than it is. I
> guess I see a clear distinction between "elitism"
> and "classism". "Elitism" to me is, in your own
> mind or a group's mind, thinking you're superior.
> "Classism" (again, to me) is when you use that
> said feeling of superiority to exploit or to
> benefit at the expense of the percieved "lower"
> class.

Y'know, I was actually thinking about this some more (and by virtue of a slow day at the office!), I'm gonna argue the point some more! :P

Not to get wrapped up in semantics, I still think your reasoning is off. Like, what I think you're saying is that "classism" without actually physically harming or otherwise exploiting someone of lower class is just "elitism".

Well, okay, but doesn't that imply that the KKK isn't really racist just because they don't lynch anyone at their rallies anymore? Hehe...nah...

But anyway, like I said, this is getting semantic and we're generally saying the same thing. The other thing I wanted to point out, though, is that I think there definitely IS a noticeable class *difference* going from, say, TBDX to skullbrain.

The vast majority of the folks I know on skullbrain are solidly middle- and upper middle-class (regardless of whether they're actually cool or not). And quite a few of them are straight up RICH! Over here, at least referring to the Boston crew, we're all working class with just a couple way lower middle-class exceptions. And other than cohiba and Gcrush's pimpsational ways, who on the board is even remotely as baller as your average skullbrainer? ;)

All I'm saying is that I'm pretty confident in my hypothesis that the attitude difference going from here to skullbrain ain't no damn coincidence!
There's another Japanese complaint haha... seem to have stirred up a decent hornet's nest.

[prometheusrising.net]
Excellent customs dude!! It's obvious you put alot of care & effort into them!
Sanjeev Wrote:
> and other than cohiba and Gcrush's pimpsational ways,
> who on the board is even remotely as baller as
> your average skullbrainer? ;)

Man, cast aspersions on my good name all you want, but Gingy is the real baller here. Straight up taught me everything I know.

I still remember my first lesson with him. When I answered the door he walked directly into the living room without saying a word, took one look at all the cabinets of toys I had there, and summarily smashed them to pieces with a series of devastating karate kicks. Then he turned to me and said, "Now throw them all out."

I was so scared I didn't know what else to do. So I just followed his command while he light up a Romeo y Julieta and puffed away on it with his arms crossed, scowling at me the whole time. It took me two and half hours just to shovel the debris into garbage bags and then sweep up the broken glass and splinters. When I finished he said, "Good. Now go out and buy them all over again. Those toys were old. You need new ones."

I managed to choke out a muffled, "What?" And he instantly barked, "Stop wasting my time. Call me when you're serious," extinguished his still smoldering cigar on my chest, and walked right back out the front door. I haven't seen him since.

That cat's the real deal, gentlemen. I shit you not. Best goddamn teacher I ever had. I've still got the scar to prove it.
[prometheusrising.wordpress.com]

My Blobpus Blob was chosen for the custom contest show in Japan in November!

[prometheusrising.net]
mcfitch (Admin)
For why you torture toy? ;-)
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
You are THE man Prometheum5! Congratulations dude!!

Prometheum5 Wrote:
> My Blobpus Blob was chosen for the custom contest
> show in Japan in November!
mcfitch (Admin)
Did people keep posting nasty comments to you?
-Mason

Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
No, we're pretty much over that... I now know that there are a few members there that decidedly do not like me, but otherwise it's a non issue.

[prometheusrising.net]
mcfitch (Admin)
Eh fuck 'em. You're doing great work.
-Mason

Prometheum5 Wrote:
> [prometheusrising.wordpress.com]
> lobpus-painting-contest-blob/
>
> My Blobpus Blob was chosen for the custom contest
> show in Japan in November!

Congrats, Ben! Great work.
Just a quick snap of RxH figures I've gotten while at school. Love all the colors!

[prometheusrising.net]
Took a new collection shot before I went back to school... Transformers and robots have been pushed aside for vinyl rubber dinosaurs and guys in funny suits (for now):

And I finished another Eyezon custom (this one was a commission):

[prometheusrising.net]
Impressive collection Prometheum5! Do all those monsters have current rabies shots? ;p
Sanjeev (Admin)
Is that Eyezon clear? Sure looks it. I didn't know they sold clear ones (besides the purple one with guts...is this one based off of that??). And are there guts inside?

Looks great and looks like it would go well with the recent Neo Eyezon in similar colors.
Thanks... I stripped a purple with guts, and the guts ARE in there (all repainted). You can make out the guts better in this one, but they are pretty subtle and my pics aren't the brightest:

Mark also released a handful of unpainted clears with unpainted white guts at one point... I had an offer for one of those that I would have kept virgin, but couldn't take it at the time :( I'll grab one eventually, as it's really pretty striking.

[prometheusrising.net]
How would he look if a light was somehow installed inside of him? Would light even show through properly?
Hmm... well, light WOULD shine through if you dropped one in the body, but I don't know how much it would actually illuminate the guts... they're all painted, and can be seen if you look up close, but I didn't want them to be the defining characteristic like they often are in a figure with guts.

[prometheusrising.net]
Kaiju-Taro used to sell LEDs by CCP that flicker on and off when bumped...pretty cool.

[www.kabushikigaisha-link.com]|id=811

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
I don't necessarily mean light the guts up, I just mean an overall glow that isn't confined to a small area. An overall glow would make it look like it was climbing out of a UFO or a nuclear reactor. >;]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Not to poop on the lighting idea, but I'm *sure* it looks dope in person. I have stuff like this, and even if the guts look TOO subtle in still photos, they'll really stand out once you can move the figure around and see what's inside.

That said, LEDs would be pretty bitchin. I have one of those shock-sensitive LEDs and I haven't done anything with it yet. REALLY fun to mess with...but it's sometimes kinda tricky to find the right application for 'em.

Anyway, back to the figure...I had a feeling it was a purple/guts Eyezon you converted. The finish is amazing, though! The stock purple Eyezon have a fairly cloudy finish because of the way Chinese vinyl is manufactured. You'd have to gloss varnish it to bring out the crystal clarity. Obviously, you did in this case...

Well done.
Yeah, I was actually discussing this with Mark this morning... lots of heavy coats of Future to shine up the vinyl and really blend the colors in.

[prometheusrising.net]
More toys!

Finished these Soviet-themed irradiated Space Troopers last night. I've always liked the Space Trooper design, but thought that the releases were all pretty boring and overpriced. so I decided to fix that :D I'm really happy with how these came out... let me know what you guys think.
Lots more pics here:

[prometheusrising.net]
Wow. I love these. I'm a sucker for the Space Trooper, and you've made these look REALLY good.

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
I like looking at those. I like that the shiny is kept down to look really blasted. And the boss borot arms, nice. Definitely NOT boring!
Here’s the second pair of figures in my Space Troopers commission, Cloud patrol Troopers. These are the counterparts to the Soviet guys and have an ‘America’ feel without being too overt… I considered a more Captain America-ey direct enemy to the Soviet squad, but brainstormed trying this cloud camo with my airbrush and really wanted to try it. The heads on these guys are GID so I figured they were ghosts instead of radioactive zombies, so I left their suits cleaner. Glow shots to come later (when it’s dark!)

More pics on my site:

[prometheusrising.net]
I finished the third and final pair of Space Troopers for my commission yesterday. These two are an eve more drastic departure from the style of the first pair (Soviet) or second pair (Cloud Patrol). These guys were meant to be white with a basic color over spray, shiny, and much more toy-like than the other pairs. I decided that it could not get much more classic toy-style than to freehand spray almost everything on the figure. I was unsure how it would go at first, but once I got into a rhythm handling the airbrush it went really quickly and was a good time. I am really happy with how these guys came out, even though I was unsure of the idea at first. I hand brushed just a few details like the eyes and teeth in a single color each to keep it simple. I think these guys look alot more 'production'...

More pics on my site here:

[prometheusrising.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2009 05:20PM by Prometheum5.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Man, how many of these do you friggin have!?

;)

Seriously, you need to do a "V" colorway. Glossy blood red uniforms with black trim...then green reptilian faces, kinda like above! C'MON!!
These were the last two... but, they were alot of fun, and I'd certainly do more in the future. The V idea sounds neat... I never saw the original, but I've been enjoying the new series, even if it is cheesy. I think I need to watch the third episode still.

That said, this weekend is Kaiju weekend. I spent all last weekend fighting with my computer, so this weekend is tech-free painting bliss. I think Saturday is G-day, and Sunday is either S-day or H-day. Maybe with a second G-night thrown in there.

[prometheusrising.net]
Ben, these are great! Love the work. Keep it up.

-dylan
BTW, I wasn't dissing it, I was just curious as to how it'd look lit up. Is he available for purchase?
MechaBlazeEagle Wrote:
> BTW, I wasn't dissing it, I was just curious as to
> how it'd look lit up. Is he available for
> purchase?

Don't worry, no harm taken... it was a neat idea. The clear Eyezon pictured was made to order, but I actually already have a person interested in another similar figure. That particular paint job seems to have turned alot of heads.

[prometheusrising.net]
That's good. I'm glad my post wasn't misunderstood. I reiterate that that is one cool creature!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer