[IDENTIFY] Vintage Figures Need Your Help!

Posted by Gcrush 
I'm trying to ID two unknown vintage figures from my (otherwise spotless) memory.

1) Some vintage-ish Batman Penguin figure - NOT SUPERPOWERS - that included a crappy un-opened black umbrella. Not sure what decade.

2) Purple space alien type thing. Squishy head (?). Blaster weapon (?). About 5 inches tall. Articulation at least at the head, shoulders, hips - but maybe more. Probably 1970s or early 1980s; it is NOT shown on any of the virtual toy chest pages for those ears. NOT bendy. NOT a Microman, Adventure People, Star Wars, GI Joe, or He-Man clone. Maybe had translucent or glowie parts, but I can't be sure.

Any thougts?
Anonymous User
First is probably a Mego Pocket Heroes Penguin figure.
Was the purple one a Power Lord?

[www.virtualtoychest.com]
AcroRay Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> First is probably a Mego Pocket Heroes Penguin
> figure.

I looked at Mego Museum and I didn't see a Pocket Hero Penguin, though I did spy an Action Hero Penguin. He looks all weird from the waist down, but the umbrella was definitely the son of a bitch I was thinking of. Damn thing will haunt my dreams no longer. Thanks, Ray!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2009 12:51PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - umbrella.gif (21.2 KB)
Roger Wrote:
> Was the purple one a Power Lord?
>
> [www.virtualtoychest.com]
> ords.html

No, though my brother did have a handful of Power Lords. I loved them. Wayne Barlowe's wacky alien aesthetic really comes through in those. Good stuff.

The one I am thinking of was more a humanoid with alien-ish features. The general aesthetic was along the lines of a Kenner or Fisher Price action figure of that era (if that makes sense). It might have been one of the many off-brands imitating that style, but I can't be sure. I think there were other aliens in the line, but I can't be sure of that. Nor can I be sure if there were any humans, either.

The main things that stick out in my mind about it are: purple, sci-fi alien, and squishy head. And yes, I know how helpful a description that is. *sigh*
Are you sure it's not this ?
DarkXerox Wrote:
> Are you sure it's not this
> [www.virtualtoychest.com]
> a_crop.jpg ?

I'm positive it wasn't one of those. I don't recall there being any special gimmick to the thing. Just a straight-up toy figure. Wish a squishy head. It looked kind of like a cross between that purple spiky dood from He-Man (Spikor, or someshit?) and a Flash Gordon figure. With maybe a touch of Microman or Adventure People aesthetics thrown in...
Coudl it have been a Starroid Raider?

[fandcproductions.blogspot.com]
Roger Wrote:
> Coudl it have been a Starroid Raider?
>
> [fandcproductions.blogspot.com]
> oid-raiders.html

Goddamn, Roger is the bomb!

Indeed, it was Wag. (Wow, was I totally off about the size of the figure!) Probably the Space Raiders incarnation, since I remember him having some glowie capacity of some sort. The funny thing is, the figure I had pictured in my head looked more like ROM than Wag. But there's no mistaking it. I remember the stupid orange blaster it came with and the way it pissed me off to no end that Wag could not point it straight. The gun would always sit crooked in its hand, as if it were shooting cross-eyed across its chest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2009 02:02PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - wag.jpg (3.6 KB)
Starroid Raiders were America's Astro Mu 5. There were even a couple of them with head designs ripped off from Mach Baron and Astekaizer. Sometimes these go for a lot of bucks, especially the ones with glow parts and accessories. I believe there's one of your purple guys on eBay right now.

There was also a series of Suckadelic-style Starroid Raiders Bootlegs called Uzama:

[www.flickr.com]
Man, I wanted that Starroid Raider in the middle with the orange head something fierce when I was a kid! I had totally forgotten about them until now! God bless you, Gcrush and Roger! ;)

More serious than thou
Yeah, I remember seeing the Suckaholic Uzamas a while ago. The tree-headed dood and the tree dood rock out. So does the cloud-headed thing with the fetus in its chest.

I cannot believe how much the Starroid Raiders go for on TEH MARKET. That's just crazy. But the irony is delicious. Who would have thought that a line of Star Wars clones would be "worth" more than the Star Wars line? Ha ha.

That should teach kids today - go collect trashy figures! They're the only ones that will hold their value.
Gcrush Wrote:

> That should teach kids today - go collect trashy
> figures! They're the only ones that will hold
> their value.

McDonalds Happy Meal figures say otherwise.

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
It is strange phenomenon, but you see it all the time. Some of those Polish "Uzay" Star Wars bootlegs go for ridiculous amounts of money.
I had a gray one of those, looked somewhat like a robot. That figure had some funky smell on him too, probably toxic.
>That should teach kids today - go collect trashy figures! They're the only ones that will hold their value.

Yes. Buy up all those terrible Dragon Ball Evolution figures I'm sure are just clogging the shelfs right now.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
I don't believe it. Power Lords.

[www.powerlordsreturn.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer