New Revoltech Thread Untouched by the Masses

Posted by Gcrush 

throtch crust.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
The only use for the Stark head would be if you could find/make and in-scale donut for him to sit in.

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Yikes. Even with a nicer helmet sculpt, there's way more wrong with the MkIII than there was with the MKVI. The paint and molding look extra soft and cludgy, and yeah, those wrist guards are nasty.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
I think I need this, but I'm not remotely sure why (I haven't seen or read any "Sunred"):

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2012 02:53PM by hillsy.
Revoltech flip flops! It's the footwear that gets you hillsy, you know it is!
Sanjeev (Admin)
Nah, man, I've seen Hillsy's kicks...the man has taste.

In shoes anyway.

:P
I feel much better that I held off the SOC SPEC and the Armor Plus Tekkaman Blade. This looks to be the best one yet.

[www.hlj.com]

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
<<Nah, man, I've seen Hillsy's kicks...the man has taste.

In shoes anyway.

:P>>

Truth. I'm ALWAYS questioned on my taste in friends. ;)

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well played, sir.

Douché...douché.
[twitpic.com]

new hat
Go, attack the world with your pop music!

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Attachments:
open | download - Miku army.jpg (199 KB)
This is the only permitted thread for actiony female character figures, right?

[blog.hobbystock.jp]

Scroll way down for new pics of the chogokin Racaseal from Phantasy Star.

It's unlikely, but I'd love to see more of these. One of the less pretty-pink Racaseals or Hucaseals, or even a male Racast or Hucast...

-Paul Segal

>Scroll way down for new pics of the chogokin Racaseal from Phantasy Star.

I wish they made figures from Phantasy Star IV like Rika and Demi (who is a robot girl so she can even be a chogokin).
Postman was at the door at ten past eight in the morning when I was trying to get some additional sleep this Saturday, bleargh...anyway, First Revoltech:

Sanada Yukimura from Sengoku Basara, the white version.

First impressions after I opened the box: the box was bigger than I expected. Nice stand. No instructions.
Then let's look at the figure...two...no, three? lances? The blades plug onto the lances and the third lance is to imitate the combined lances from the show.
Effect parts: some milky white piece that attached under a foot, missing some shading. Bandana and hair parts. An optional face. Two optional hands to hold the weapons. Revoltech container and some plastic coin.
Figure seems a bit bland, could use some mild gray wash on the chest to bring out the details. Jacket and skirt bits are made of flexible PVC. Revoltech joints at ankles, knees (double), hips, waist, neck (top and bottom), shoulders and elbows. Waist and lower neck joints have about zero motion. The optional hands are hinged at the wrist, but due to the hand design this joint is fairly unusable, unless you don't plug the hand in entirely (which is ugly).
Unplugged the head to install the bandana and hair bits, these fit well. Couldn't try the second face, as the standard face won't budge. Effect part plugs into a foot...barely, and the stand's Revoltech joint is a bit too large for Sanada's back hole. Then I tried to plug the weapons into the hands. No fit. Only scraped paint off the weapons and hands, so I ended up slicing through the PVC between the index and thumb with a modelling knife.
The combined lance is biiiiiiiiig - 30 cm long. The blades are quite sharp, could be dangerous - not a kid's toy for sure. The spare lances can't be stored in the container, and the holes in the container's top are too small for the lances to plug into.
The figure is nicely poseable, and it can take all poses shown on the show except for a few: the jacket's high collar interferes with the hair/bandana/neck so that limits head poseability. Still a nice figure for what I paid for him.

Now I gotta track down his blue oni counterpart (well, the white version).
MattAlt (Admin)
The Takeya-sculpted series of Buddhist statues is selling like hotcakes in Japan right now. Can't find 'em anywhere, have to pre-order. I grabbed Ashura, and as beautiful as it is, it reminds me of exactly why I stay away from Revoltech stuff. Soft, floppy, hard to pose, barely stands even with a stand....

Pretty cool concept for a figure, though!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2012 08:24PM by MattAlt.
Attachments:
open | download - ashura.jpg (42.9 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Nah, I think it's stupid concept for a fig--OH! Waitaminute...
MattAlt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Soft, floppy, hard to pose, barely stands even
> with a stand....
>
> Pretty cool concept for a figure, though!

Agreed. The Revolver joints are the Achilles heel of the product. While it's cool to pop the limbs off for some Frankenstein action, the detents and counterintuitive angles make them frustrating. The buttery smooth joints on Figmas are vastly superior.

I recently picked up some Revoltechs, including Ashura, that have probably killed my malingering interest in the line for good...

The T-Rex from Jurassic Park is hysterically undersized, barely big enough to fight a Star Wars figure. The tail isn’t heavy enough to counter balance the head. Disappointingly, the feet are not sculpted to sit flat. And the eyes are painted crooked. I’m glad it was on sale.

The Starship Troopers Power Suit is utter crap, and something of a sideways step from the previous Kaiyodo/Xebec diecast version on which it is based. Some joints have a wider range of motion, but the shoulders are a pair of skewed Kaiyodo’s 1990s swivel joints instead of Revolvers; the right shoulder on mine snapped off completely when I tried to turn it. And the pilot torso in the suit is no longer removable – instead you can only pop off the head, leaving an ugly neck post jutting up. It’s amazing that even with a decade of experience behind them this figure turned out absolutely no better than the previous version. I would, under no circumstances, recommend this piece of shit to anyone.

Lastly, I recently noticed that the plastic used in the Revoltechs is the white resiny-kind and has been painted over rather than cast in color. I don’t have any of my older ones in front of me to check if it has always been this way, but I was bummed to notice that the paint scrapes on these recent figures leave behind jarring white swaths. That’s just ugly.

I wish there was a way to seamlessly pop apart the Revolver joints and sand the detents off of them so they would have a smoother range of motion for posing. Sigh.
Gcrush Wrote:
>
> The T-Rex from Jurassic Park is hysterically
> undersized, barely big enough to fight a Star Wars
> figure.

Sheesh, for a 40 dollar figure that's ridiculous.

> The Starship Troopers Power Suit is utter crap,
> and something of a sideways step from the previous
> Kaiyodo/Xebec diecast version on which it is
> based. Some joints have a wider range of motion,
> but the shoulders are a pair of skewed Kaiyodo’s
> 1990s swivel joints instead of Revolvers; the
> right shoulder on mine snapped off completely when
> I tried to turn it.

WHAT. WHY DO YOU KEEP DOING THIS KAIYODO.

-Paul Segal

I'm pretty happy with my T-rex. It is TINY, no doubt, but it is very cute and really poseable. The eyes on mine are fine, so inconsistent QC maybe? LOOK AT HIS CUTE LITTLE ARMS.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
How did this fail to get posted here???
[geekinbox.fr]

Caught it on skullbrain's vintage board, of all places.

Now, is a sketchy-quality action figure of Kitaro worth $50...?
Anonymous User

The Agony
you could drill out both ends

and put a Revoltech joint in there
asterphage Wrote:
> Gcrush Wrote:
> >
> > The T-Rex from Jurassic Park is hysterically
> > undersized, barely big enough to fight a Star
> Wars
> > figure.
>
> Sheesh, for a 40 dollar figure that's ridiculous.

It's sooo frustrating. The figure is way to small to interact with much of anything. They should have at least given it a prop to terrorize. I'm hoping that one day we will see an equally tiny Kong from the Pete Jackson film so T-Rex will have something to bite.

> > The Starship Troopers Power Suit is utter crap,
> > and something of a sideways step from the
> previous
> > Kaiyodo/Xebec diecast version on which it is
> > based. Some joints have a wider range of
> motion,
> > but the shoulders are a pair of skewed
> Kaiyodo’s
> > 1990s swivel joints instead of Revolvers; the
> > right shoulder on mine snapped off completely
> when
> > I tried to turn it.
>
> WHAT. WHY DO YOU KEEP DOING THIS KAIYODO.

It's a fucking fetish for them.

Anavel Wrote:
>
>
> The Agony

That is the exact same thing that happened with mine. The cheap-ass plastic inside sure did wonders for the durability of that joint.

VF5SS Wrote:
> you could drill out both ends
>
> and put a Revoltech joint in there

No, YOU can drill it out. I just want my overpriced desk-warriors to not break the minute I take them out of the package.
Gcrush Wrote:

> No, YOU can drill it out. I just want my
> overpriced desk-warriors to not break the minute I
> take them out of the package.

ever consider buying American?
VF5SS Wrote:
> ever consider buying American?

It's true that the usual bullshit-QC American toys cost less than imports.

As I was gluing the Power Ranger's arm back on I noticed that the parts of the arm that form the second swivel joint do not mate flush with one another. The plug for the lower arm is much thinner than it needs to be and kind of float around in the base of the upper piece. I'm sure that's why it broke, too. The more I looked at it, the more it seemed like the shoulders were originally intended to have Revolver joints in them. Oh, well.

I guess the good news is that with all the joints it does have, you can get Power Trooper into some nice and meaty dick-thrust poses. So, that's a win.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2012 10:19AM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - SGT DICK MEATTHRUSTER.jpg (354 KB)
Sanjeev Wrote:
> How did this fail to get posted here???
> [geekinbox.fr]
> %A0-kitaro-de-gegege-no-kitaro/
>
> Caught it on skullbrain's vintage board, of all
> places.
>
> Now, is a sketchy-quality action figure of Kitaro
> worth $50...?

Well, on HLJ the price is 2900 yen...

More serious than thou
>He smells my dog!

George Carlin, RIP.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
life is a series of dogs
maybe the real trick is life is a series of broken Kaiyodo toys
Gcrush Wrote:
>
> SGT DICK MEATTHRUSTER.jpg

....Huh. I still want the T.rex.

-Paul Segal

asterphage Wrote:
> Gcrush Wrote:
> >
> > SGT DICK MEATTHRUSTER.jpg
>
> ....Huh. I still want the T.rex.

It's probably the best T-Rex toy I've ever had. More poseable than a vintage Jurassic Park mega-beast and more stable than a Resaurus one. It's just so small for the price. And with nothing to menace - no jeep, no bus, no other dinos... It will always look like a puny, dog-sized dinosaur next to any other action figure. Boo.
Gcrush Wrote:
>
> It's just so small for the price. And with
> nothing to menace - no jeep, no bus,

jeez buy a Hot Wheels. they cost 99 cents and they even have them at Shop-Rite

-Paul Segal

asterphage Wrote:
> jeez buy a Hot Wheels. they cost 99 cents and they
> even have them at Shop-Rite

That's the problem. The Hot Wheel's car would be too big. You'd need something between it and a Micro-machine to do the trick.
Gcrush Wrote:
>
> That's the problem. The Hot Wheel's car would be
> too big. You'd need something between it and a
> Micro-machine to do the trick.

SERIOUSLY? Breakin my heart here. Do you have a Hot Wheel or other small-scale car around to take a photo with?

Hey, anyone remember Hot Wheels cereal?
[www.mrbreakfast.com]
It was pretty good.

-Paul Segal

asterphage Wrote:
> SERIOUSLY? Breakin my heart here. Do you have a
> Hot Wheel or other small-scale car around to take
> a photo with?

You know, I was rethinking this. I might be wrong. I don't have a Hot Wheels car at the moment, but I will look for one next time I'm at the store.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Eh, I'll stick with the Papo dino toy line. More than twice as big, half the price, and just as gorgeous.

Of course, only the jaw is articulated...but I've never needed my stupid rubber dinosaurs to be super-posable!
Is that thing poseable, though? It is damn near impossible to find dino toys with good articulation.

-Ginrai
Sanjeev (Admin)
Alas, only the jaws on Papo's are jointed. At least from all the reviews, they're balanced really nicely, so no toppling.

Another good brand is Schleich:

Again, jaw's the only thing articulated. :/
Schlitz Malt Dinosaur?

-Ginrai
Sanjeev (Admin)
T-rex likes his 40's.

40 gallons. Hence the articulated jaw!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer