New Revoltech Thread Untouched by the Masses

Posted by Gcrush 
Don Cheadle that's my suit :<
Revoltech Iron Man is highly posable, and fairly ugly:

[www.collectiondx.com]

Warmachine is looking much better from preview pics!

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
I will have to admit that the PIXAR revoltechs look pretty dang sweet...I mean look at the Wall-E. I hope we get a redone Buzz and Woody...for some reason they left me a little cold...(besides anything next to the amazing thinkway Buzz is bound to be a letdown...)

[toyhaven.blogspot.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Looks good overall, but I have two minor beefs. First, the thing line drawn in for the mouth looks a bit too pronounced. Like, it doesn't look natural at all...while everything else looks nice and subtle. And second...purple spray on the armor??? I'm kinda hoping that's just a color balance thing in the photos. That just don't look right.

Anyway, the complaints are still very minor. I like it. And seeing as how the only other game in town for a really nice Robocop figure is the really old (and insanely expensive) Hot Toys figure, this is a great compromise.
Maybe they had issues securing the rights to Peter Weller's likeness.

Those lips are worth a lot of money.
Sanjeev (Admin)
They better be insured. Like Troy Polamalu's hair.

Anyway, back to Revoltech's...they're doing ships now?
[www.amazon.co.jp]
Sanjeev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks good overall, but I have two minor beefs.
> First, the thing line drawn in for the mouth looks
> a bit too pronounced. Like, it doesn't look
> natural at all...while everything else looks nice
> and subtle. And second...purple spray on the
> armor??? I'm kinda hoping that's just a color
> balance thing in the photos. That just don't look
> right.

I'm guessing the mouf-changes are the result of scaling down. It may be that in person the figure's mug is too small to notice much. This seems to happen a lot with lines like Star Wars where 90% of the time the figure looks nothing like the actor. (Except for the aliens, but they're always easier to get away with since our brains aren't wired to notice their features as much as with a human face.)

Also, the purple highlights were definitely part of the suit in one of the first two films, though I can't remember which one. One suit was completely silver while the other was blue-ish with purple highlights.

> Anyway, the complaints are still very minor. I
> like it. And seeing as how the only other game in
> town for a really nice Robocop figure is the
> really old (and insanely expensive) Hot Toys
> figure, this is a great compromise.

I had the first HT Robocup. It was awesome at the time, but the likeness in the face definitely wasn't there - at least, it wasn't nearly as good as the portraits they're turning out these days. Oh, and it had the purple and blue highlights, too. The ones on mine were very pronounced.

Considering how small the Figma Robojuice is, I'd like to see them knock out an ED-209 or R2. No, scratch that. I'd really like to see them, or anyone, really, do figures of the Prototype R2s from the second film. Those fuckers were awesome.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2011 07:40PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - robocup.jpg (53.9 KB)
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Looks good overall, but I have two minor beefs.
> First, the thing line drawn in for the mouth looks
> a bit too pronounced. Like, it doesn't look
> natural at all...while everything else looks nice
> and subtle.

Yeah, it looks insane. It looks like his face is a blank caucasian-colored cylinder with a mouth drawn on that reminds me of the mouth of an MS Paint drawing of a cat eating pizza that I wish I could find right now because it's exactly the same damn mouth.

> And second...purple spray on the
> armor??? I'm kinda hoping that's just a color
> balance thing in the photos. That just don't look
> right.

I thought the blue highlights and purple shadows on the armor looked just right. It gives the sense that Robo's polished metal finish has a slight iridescence to it.

> Anyway, the complaints are still very minor. I
> like it. And seeing as how the only other game in
> town for a really nice Robocop figure is the
> really old (and insanely expensive) Hot Toys
> figure, this is a great compromise.

Yeah, for the price it looks a lot better than some renditions of Robocop.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2011 07:57PM by asterphage.
Attachments:
open | download - 236057_zoom.jpg (34.7 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well, in the first movie, the armor was pretty much all-silver. In the second, there was a bluish hue given to the whole thing...but I certainly don't recall any purple...unless it was some kind of iridescent sheen. Anyway, no biggie.

But yeah, the mouth looks a bit not-so-stellar. If only they could have made the color a little lighter and maybe allowed it to bleed upwards somehow to give the impression of shading. Eh well...it's probably a VERY small figure, so in person, I'll bet it looks fine.

Gcrush Wrote:
> ...Except for the aliens, but
> they're always easier to get away with since our
> brains aren't wired to notice their features as
> much as with a human face.

Somewhere, Worf is crying. Worf just wants to be loved.

WHY WON'T YOU LOVE WORF GCRUSH???

> Considering how small the Figma Robojuice is, I'd
> like to see them knock out an ED-209 or R2. No,
> scratch that. I'd really like to see them, or
> anyone, really, do figures of the Prototype R2s
> from the second film. Those fuckers were awesome.

YES.

the screaming skull
asterphage Wrote:

>
> Yeah, for the price it looks a lot better than
> some renditions of Robocop.
>

Is that a blow up doll or a real human in a really horrible cosplay suit?
Sanjeev Wrote:
> ...unless it was some kind
> of iridescent sheen.

I think that's what they were going for - like the way some panels on Vader's mask were painted gray in the first Star Wars movie. I remember going to a sci-fi museum exhibit when I was younger and being blown away by how cheesy and exaggerated some of the details were in person on the costumes and props. But it makes sense that they are created with certain visual distances and celluloid in mind.

> well...it's probably a VERY small figure, so in
> person, I'll bet it looks fine.

I bet the figure barely pops five inches. I'd be surprised if the whole fleshy part was bigger than the nail on your pinky. So, yeah, probably not going to notice it much. That goofy gray line might be necessary so you can even see the mouth.

> WHY WON'T YOU LOVE WORF GCRUSH???

I'll start loving him the minute he shaves that awful space-vagina off of his forehead. Actually, green-skinned ladies withstanding, I hate nearly all the aliens on Star Trek. They're just awful. The only one that comes close to being awesome doesn't even have a name. It's just "Species 8472". Ugh. And even it is a bit too conventional.

Here's a side-rant about super advanced aliens. If a species is capable of massive technological, medical, and genetic feats, why wouldn't they shrink themselves down to be as small as possible? It's hugely economical on several scales. And if they have ray-guns it's not like they need a size advantage in a fist-fight. Just, PEW-PEW-PEW!, all their enemies get turned into dust. It drives me ape-shit whenever the doors and controls on human and alien ships are all the same size. Which is why I liked The Thing. Not human scale, and no human-usable interfaces. Classy!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2011 10:39AM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - Species 8472.jpg (129.4 KB)
thomas Wrote:
>
> Is that a blow up doll or a real human in a really
> horrible cosplay suit?

It's a commercially produced halloween costume, presumably licensed! Isn't it great.

Gcrush Wrote:
>
> Here's a side-rant about super advanced aliens.
> If a species is capable of massive technological,
> medical, and genetic feats, why wouldn't they
> shrink themselves down to be as small as possible?
> It's hugely economical on several scales.

Y'ever read The Mote in God's Eye by Niven and Pournelle? The aliens aren't exactly micronized, but it has some interesting ideas about where technological development and genetic engineering could take a species.

-Paul Segal

asterphage Wrote:
>
> Yeah, it looks insane. It looks like his face is a
> blank caucasian-colored cylinder with a mouth
> drawn on that reminds me of the mouth of an MS
> Paint drawing of a cat eating pizza that I wish I
> could find right now because it's exactly the same
> damn mouth.

It reminds me of this

-Paul Segal

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2011 05:21PM by asterphage.
Attachments:
open | download - OFFICIALpizza_1299505581SNAX.png (2.7 KB)
Dudes, SCREW all this nonsense!

There's a Revoltech of the Goten-go, aka Atragon on the way!!!!!!

[www.hlj.com]

Holy flipping crap in a HAT!

maybe we WILL get our Moonlight SY-3 after all!

(hahahahahahaha can you imagine how crazy a Revoltech Manda would be?)
mcfitch (Admin)
Here you go Gcrush. [www.youtube.com]
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt &quot;I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!&quot;
oh hey Rita what's going on...

[collectiondx.com]

oh

i see
Sanjeev (Admin)
"I have not watched Jyuranger, even though its title speaks to my heritage..."

Classic!

And WTF did they do to her face!?

Lastly...Happy Birthday!
Did anyone ever settle the Robocop-Off between Fagma and NECA?

Well, this dood took a stab at it.

The consensus is the standard "you get what you pay for with a Japanese import toy" that no one should find shocking. Meh. But it was interesting to read/see the nitty differences like the squish head and gun.
Mecha Miku.

[asahiwa.jp]

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Robo-Copper arrived. It is, as expected, a reasonably good figure made less so by the current exchange rate. Damn our toothless dollars!

Things not worth repeating:

> It's unbelievably poseable.
> It's extremely well-sculpted.
> It's got excellent paint apps.
> It's adorned with tons of extras.
> The rattly hips are the standard Figma fare and are annoying.

Things worth mentioning that I don't think anyone else has pointed out:

> The soles of the feet are bizarrely un-sculpted.
> The finish on the silver and black areas appears to be reversed from the Hot Toys figure and it looks odd; the black should be flatter while the silver should be glossy-gloss.
> Some of the joints are a little loose and need to be beefed up.
> The "open-leg" gimmick is somewhat weak and they really should have included an alternate (truly) opening thigh for a better effect.

Errata:

> The skin/mouth area does look goofy. It's the result of casting the head in an extremely pale flesh-tone and painting in a dark line without any tone around the lips. It's made worse by the contrast between the shiny black and the flesh-tone, too. A little paint can fix this.
> The damaged head gimmick works very easily and looks much sharper on my sample than in some of the other reviews. Or, at least a lot closer to the prototype. For anyone wondering, there is no sculpted upper face under there - just a flesh colored geometrical plug. Creepy.
> The highlights on the armor don't look bad at all. But the whole thing could use a coat of iridescent gloss to help it. Any recommendations?
> Is this in scale with the Revoltech Iron Man figures? 'Cause it ain't really in scale with anything else.
> The quality of the toy makes it a goddamn shame that we'll never see any of the Prototype Robocop 2 figures. I'm weeping inside.

So, yeah. Go buy one.
Gcrush Wrote:
>
> The damaged head gimmick works very easily and
> looks much sharper on my sample than in some of
> the other reviews. Or, at least a lot closer to
> the prototype. For anyone wondering, there is no
> sculpted upper face under there - just a flesh
> colored geometrical plug. Creepy.

Yup, that last review linked covered it:

welcome to hell.

-Paul Segal

I forgot to add that the Robolips on Robocopper look, for lack of a better term, "anime". It's a little weird.
[hyperd.blog66.fc2.com]

His favorite movies include Pretty Woman and The Bridges of Madison County
VF5SS Wrote:
> [hyperd.blog66.fc2.com]
>
> His favorite movies include Pretty Woman and The
> Bridges of Madison County

Love those figures, but Gingy warned me that they're fragile. TT

Coming soon to NBC

He's a watermelon loving beetle but he's a by the book chunk of flesh in an iron lung. Together they're gonna clean up Neo-Manhattan.

Murphy

and

The Bee

They're cops
Hey, Ben, is there any type of gloss coat I could drop on Figma Robocrapper to make him all iridescent and shiny-like?

Plain old Future will make him more shiny, but not pearly...
Sanjeev (Admin)
This very sparingly, followed by this. Oh, and if you don't have an airbrush, he's got aerosols too.
Sanjeev Wrote:
> This very sparingly, followed by this. Oh, and if
> you don't have an airbrush, he's got aerosols too.

Yeah, we got to try out the MK spraycans at In Living Kolor, and they are fantastic. You will be able to do exactly what you are looking for with the pearls and then a gloss coat.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Infinite Stratos

[www.amiami.jp]

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
[collectiondx.com]

dead or alive, you're coming with :3
For those with the NECA Robocrapper, you might want to pick up one of their Predator 2 figures to battle it out on your shelf. I bought a City Hunter Predator and it's a swell figure for $15. The paint is surprisingly good, the leg articulation is excellent, and the design is well thought out. I think this is my first NECA figure and the quality is quite good. I highly recommend it.

Can you have gripes with such an inexpensive figure? Sure. The elbow articulation is a little hampered as the biceps could have been sculpted better to accommodate the joint. There's no upper-chest / abdominal joint so it can't hunch-and-much very well. And the accessories are shamefully light - just the smart disc and nothing else.

Here's some pictures of an upcoming two-pack. There's a nice comparison pic of the City Hunter Masked / Unmasked figures side-by-side.

Oh, and Gingy? Predator is the right size to fight Loincloth Lenny.

Now if they only made an Alien figure this good...
Tangent here, but does anybody have the McFarlane RoboCop? If so, any good?

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
hillsy Wrote:
> Tangent here, but does anybody have the McFarlane
> RoboCop? If so, any good?

Here's a review. In short, it was a good, not great, figure. My personal dictionary of Robocopness reads as follows...

Most Luxurious: Hot Toys

Most Actiony: Figma

Most (Currently) Plentiful: NECA

Most Charming: Kenner

Most MIA: Kubrick

Most Insane: Sarge Oberon
Gcrush Wrote:
>
> Most Charming: Kenner

Yessssss. You're probably referring to the older, cartoonier ones, but I love the 4 or 5 inch figure with interchangeable gun arm and the button in his chest that makes machine gun sounds and makes Robo's visor light up.

-Paul Segal

the rubber sleeves on the real costume make Robocop look like he has Figma joints :3
[hyperd.blog66.fc2.com]

combat robot

finger guuuuuuns~
[blog.livedoor.jp]

Kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahz!

also to answer any questions

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2011 03:23PM by VF5SS.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer