New Revoltech Thread Untouched by the Masses

Posted by Gcrush 
Also, I'm trying really hard to push this thread to 17 pages so I'll stop getting that awful Woody/microdildo picture at the top of the page every time it opens. Damn.
Gcrush Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Also, I'm trying really hard to push this thread
> to 17 pages so I'll stop getting that awful
> Woody/microdildo picture at the top of the page
> every time it opens. Damn.

Mission accomplished. Nothing to see here now. Go on about your business.
Sanjeev (Admin)
fujikuro Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...Revoltech Matango,
> anyonme???


That's fucking brilliant...I know these toys are my sworn enemy, but I'd totally throw down for a bunch of Matango action figs!
Gcrush Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Also, I'm trying really hard to push this thread
> to 17 pages so I'll stop getting that awful
> Woody/microdildo picture at the top of the page
> every time it opens. Damn.

Thank you very much.

More serious than thou
Gcrush Wrote:

>
> I'm not going to hold my breath for a Revoltech
> Godzilla, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see
> one eventually. Shame about Jet Jaguar, though.

That's one I would not be able to pass up. Well, not if they did him in their usual crotch-thrustiness. He is a humanoid, after all. Speaking of that, Revoltech King Caesar would be nice as well. But, ideally, I'd like a Minilla. I'd have to buy three for myself and my two boys.

More serious than thou
So, it looks like Bandai is making their own line of Godzilla action figures.




I guess that's cool. But the 80s Godzilla franchise is the least awesome. Not campy enough to be funky, but too campy to be serious. Meh. I would like to see a GMK Godizlla as an action figure though...

So, maybe Bandai isn't playing ball with the Godzilla license and Revoltech. But why would they single out just a few characters instead of putting the kibosh on all Toho daikaiju? That's like LFL and Hasbro letting McFarlane do a line of Star Wars figures, but without Darth Vader. Or something.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2011 09:58AM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - Godzilla.jpg (59.6 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
I dug the heisei movies because they had sort of a comic booky vibe to 'em. Like, while they lacked the fun camp of the showa movies, they sure weren't meant to be taken seriously! The camp, I feel, was replaced with a nice boost in effects (watch the uncut Japanese version of 1984, for instance). I guess it also helped that by the time I saw all of these, I was in my teens and heavily into superhero comics!

So there's a soft spot in my heart for the heisei Godzilla designs...so I may actually pick one of these up (if they don't piss me off like Revoltechs).
Sanjeev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I dug the heisei movies because they had sort of a
> comic booky vibe to 'em.

Yeah, I think comic booky is the right word. Which is why I'm not that into them. Too much of a weird middle ground. Give me realism or give me men in rubber suits.


> So there's a soft spot in my heart for the heisei
> Godzilla designs...so I may actually pick one of
> these up (if they don't piss me off like
> Revoltechs).

These are larger - about six or seven inches. And the construction will probably be like the current Ultra-Act daikaiju. Which is pretty good, but more expensive than a Revoltech.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yup...the tweenie fiction of comic books is sort of a frozen-in-time thing for some. Others would sooner just forget it! ;)

BUT to be fair, they still were men in rubber suits. And they looked fucking awesomer. I've watched Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah numerous times with all sorts of folks, and they all love the corny time-travel effects, terrible Terminator-schtick for the white android dude, and all that. Meanwhile, I get geek-chills during the actual GxKG/GxMKG fights!

6-7", huh? Pretty well out-of-scale with the Revoltechs then, huh? Bummer for those looking for continuity. Anyway, I still like the idea of action figure kaiju...as long as they're engineered well and are consistent in quality (my beefs with Revoltechs). Heh...that's pretty ironic coming from me because I've always hated cheapie Bandai vinyl kaiju for being realistic and boring. Well, adding lots of sturdy joints might make them realistic and fun!
Gcrush Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So, it looks like Bandai is making their own line
> of Godzilla action figures.
>
> [toyboxdx.com]
>
>

Well, I'll be all for this IF they do Godzillas from multiple time-periods. They already do so with their vinyl line. Scale is certainly a problem, though. I'd prefer to have a 70's Gigan to go with my 70's Godzilla.

I think I may have to stick with the "Non-Godzilla" Revoltechs - that is, if I like my Gamera.

More serious than thou
The best depiction of Godzilla in toy form is the Microman version, as mentioned previously, but not given nearly enough praise. It's a frikkin guy in a frikkin suit. Frikkin game, frikkin set, frikkin match.



Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2011 08:20PM by RainBot.
Just received my Revoltech Gamera. Fancy packaging, that's for sure. Clearly thats part of the price. After opening it, it seems like pretty much every other Revoltech that I've owned, though perhaps a bit less limited in its posability by weird preconfigured body shapes. It's nice, but tiny. I really did expect it to be a larger toy than it is. Dunno why, though I suppose that the price did that to me. My recollection of Revoltech's is that they are $20 toys, and I guess I figured a $30 one would be a tad larger. I love Gamera mightily (had a vanity license plate that said GAMERA once), and I'll be keeping this guy, but won't be getting any more of these. If they were priced down around $15 I'd probably buy up a bunch, but the price-to-presence ratio isn't too good here.

More serious than thou
fujikuro Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just received my Revoltech Gamera. Fancy
> packaging, that's for sure. Clearly thats part of
> the price.

Agreed. They could trim an excess 30% and still deliver a quality feeling. I know retail footprints are a big issue in the US, but every toy shop I've seen in Japan throws that concept right out the window with their Tetris Toy Towers. So, I guess Kaiyodo just likes wasting space?


> After opening it, it seems like pretty
> much every other Revoltech that I've owned, though
> perhaps a bit less limited in its posability by
> weird preconfigured body shapes.

My experience is that the paint and finish on the Sci-Fi line are miles better than the standard Revoltechs. I think that adds something to the mix.


> It's nice, but
> tiny. I really did expect it to be a larger toy
> than it is.

Gamera is on the small side, but the lower body extras are pretty badass and make up for some of that lightness.


> If they
> were priced down around $15 I'd probably buy up a
> bunch, but the price-to-presence ratio isn't too
> good here.

I try to grab these when they're on sale, around $20 to $25. That's the upper end of satisfaction for me. I think it's all part of inflation and exchange rates digging at the sense of satisfaction. Shit keeps getting more expensive and the quality improves only marginally - or not at all - and that sucks. Also, I suspect licensing costs play a part in the higher Sci-Fi prices.

Anyway, five years ago these would have definitely been priced below $20. And that would have been awesome.
Yeah, Mecha Ghidora is one of the most awesome sights that I've ever beheld in a film. It's like God Descending From Fiery Heaven.




Sanjeev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Meanwhile, I get geek-chills during the
> actual GxKG/GxMKG fights!
Gcrush Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> > After opening it, it seems like pretty
> > much every other Revoltech that I've owned,
> though
> > perhaps a bit less limited in its posability by
> > weird preconfigured body shapes.
>
> My experience is that the paint and finish on the
> Sci-Fi line are miles better than the standard
> Revoltechs. I think that adds something to the
> mix.
>

Absolutely true. The paint applications are miles better, and I should have mentioned that. It pretty much looks just like the box art.

>
> Gamera is on the small side, but the lower body
> extras are pretty badass and make up for some of
> that lightness.
>

It's not so much the lightness as it is just a feeling of bulk. This Gamera we're talking about here. For fuck's sake, he OUGHT to be bigger than the frigging Alien! They're at the same price point, along with Booska, who appears to be about twice the size. Just kind of bizarre.

>
> > If they
> > were priced down around $15 I'd probably buy up
> a
> > bunch, but the price-to-presence ratio isn't
> too
> > good here.
>
> I try to grab these when they're on sale, around
> $20 to $25. That's the upper end of satisfaction
> for me. I think it's all part of inflation and
> exchange rates digging at the sense of
> satisfaction. Shit keeps getting more expensive
> and the quality improves only marginally - or not
> at all - and that sucks. Also, I suspect
> licensing costs play a part in the higher Sci-Fi
> prices.
>
> Anyway, five years ago these would have definitely
> been priced below $20. And that would have been
> awesome.

On second thought, I will probably nab the Gyaos when it drops a bit in price. That way I've got the "full" Gamera line. I'll feel satisfied at that point, though tempted by the other figures, especially the Moguera. Still, with Gamera and Gyaos I can actually play with my kids with them. Not so much with the others, really. Again, comes down to missing out on the King of the Monsters. Kinda hard to have any sort of Godzilla play session without the guy.

More serious than thou
Ah, crap. Now I'll have to get these:

[toyfreakz.com]

More serious than thou
HA, ya beat to posting that, Matt. Forget transforming Revo-Valks, we now have transforming Revo-Gamera. The spinning blade shell mode looks straight out of the movie.


[blog.livedoor.jp]

iron man is out



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2011 10:12AM by VF5SS.
Attachments:
open | download - billyman.jpg (58.8 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Oh my hazy memory...didn't he have the uni-beam in the second movie? No effect part for that, huh? :/
[www.amiami.jp]

Eva-03. It's a mass release so it'll be easy to get. I'm not bothering pre ordering. Revoltechs almost always go on sale at HLJ like two or so months after release.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Sanjeev (Admin)
I guess this is also the de facto Figma thread...

This looks dope.


Heh, another movie property I don't "get." Add it to the long list, but it does look like a nice figure for those who enjoy Robocop...

Oh, and any wondering about why I felt like posting this when I could otherwise keep my moderately critical mouth shut, it's at least partially to prove that Sanjeev and I don't have EXACTLY the same taste in toys.

More serious than thou



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2011 01:34PM by fujikuro.
Damn, dude, that looks TIGHT! By which I mean it looks really cool and I will probably get it. There have been so many Robocop figs over the years. Don't know why I haven't picked one up yet.
Also, as someone sagely mentioned mentioned on another forum, it's great that Max Factory is finally using its powers for good with the Figma line.
I'm pretty happy with the Duke Togo Figma. Robocop looks pretty damn good.

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
I've never handled a Figma...so I don't know about any evil usage of Max Factory's powers...but this guy looks slamming.

I know there was a 1/6 figure from Hot Toys, but I'm probably not interested enough to pay that kind of loot--especially when this one seems so nicely done.

No Robocop love, Matt? I absolutely LOVE the first movie. Fucking classic commercial/corporate satire.
Sanjeev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've never handled a Figma...so I don't know about
> any evil usage of Max Factory's powers...
>
Google Images + Figma = Evil

>
> No Robocop love, Matt? I absolutely LOVE the first
> movie. Fucking classic commercial/corporate
> satire.

Yes.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2011 06:19PM by gingaio.
Sanjeev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> No Robocop love, Matt? I absolutely LOVE the first
> movie. Fucking classic commercial/corporate
> satire.

It was OK. I thought the "I'd buy that for a dollar" bit was the best part of the movie. Some funny bits here and there, but the overall movie gets only a C+ from me. No idea why people go so ga-ga over it. My standards for what makes a good movie are very high, though.

More serious than thou
gingaio Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > No Robocop love, Matt? I absolutely LOVE the
> first
> > movie. Fucking classic commercial/corporate
> > satire.
>
> Yes.


Taken in-context, the original RoboCop was probably the best movie of the decade. The mere existence of the sequels probably explains why people get stuck on the violent, exploitative nature of Verhoeven's vision as an "action sci-fi movie" and overlook its biting satirical commentary on (the then) American zeitgeist and its deleterious effects. Also, turning a murderous Christ-Robot-Zombie into a kid-friendly hero probably contributed to that. But, really, that just deepens the effect of the original.

When someone makes a movie portraying your national culture as one self-destructively obsessed with guns, violent "mediation" between social elements, and unrestrained corporate greed - AND PEOPLE WITHIN YOUR CULTURE THEN TURN IT INTO A FUCKING SATURDAY MORNING CARTOON SHOW FOR SELLING MERCHANDISE TO KIDS - it seriously underscores how well the film called things as they were.

That's truly deep shit, man. But the film was also a serious technical achievement with excellent direction all around. The editing, scoring, and effects hold up today as some of the best.

Fuck the conclusion of the Iran-Contra Affair - the release of RoboCop was the proudest achievement of 1987.
Oh, yeah. I forgot to mention that a War Machine Revoltech is in the works. And that t-rex is finally coming out, too.
Sanjeev (Admin)
fujikuro Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It was OK...No idea why people go so
> ga-ga over it. My standards for what makes a good
> movie are very high, though.

Gods bless, you, sir. 'Cause it sure fucking seems like we're the LAST assholes on earth with any sort of standards for movies these days! :P Hahaha!!

Nah, Robocop's appeal for me is the simple class story it tells. It makes no apologies for satirizing how most big cities really are: corporate monopolized police states. But in the face of that, one unassuming working class guy catches a break, gets blown up, and it turned into an indestructible justice-dispensing machine!

It's a classic tale of "score one for the little guy". It's not like OCP, the greedy corporation, no longer controls the city by the end of the movie...that would just be unrealistic. ;) But the ultimately well-meaning little guy *does* stand up and manages to make the world around him just a little bit better. I find it actually kinda hopeful!


gingaio Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Google Images + Figma = Evil

Not quite as horrifying as I'd feared. But still rather terrible. Heh...I totally forgot that those Billy figures were Figma, not Revoltech!

But, yeah, other than him and Duke Togo, almost every other toy was of a ultra-cute little anime girl.

Not to dive head-first into *yet another* fucking moe discussion, but when the google image search came through, and my monitor was COVERED in thumbnails of little-girl action figures (much to my co-worker's dismay), a question occurred to me. Do women (of any age) actually buy these fucking things??? Or is it all males?
Does it really matter if women buy Figmas? Will gender equality in otaku buying habits erase the stain of the corporate shilling of cute girl figures?


besides, most girls spend their time cosplaying the characters than buying action figures of them
Sanjeev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do women (of any age) actually buy these fucking
> things??? Or is it all males?


Figmas and Vaginas are the Oil and Vinegar of the Salad Toy Genital World, respectively.

Seriously though, does Japan's National Census sub-categorize the OTAKU gender into male and female?
Sanjeev (Admin)
Heh..


VF5SS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does it really matter if women buy Figmas?

Nope.

> Will
> gender equality in otaku buying habits erase the
> stain of the corporate shilling of cute girl
> figures?

Prolly not...but my query was coming more from the direction of the fandom, in general, rather than from specific toy marketing. Like, I'm just sorta genuinely curious as to the gender breakdown of who buys toys like these.


> besides, most girls spend their time cosplaying
> the characters than buying action figures of them

See, that's the kind of answer I was looking for.

There are female otaku...I'm just wondering why they don't get into 3D representations of the characters they love (presuming it IS mostly men buying Figma and other such toys).
Me and my shitty low standards...wait, they're the same shitty low standards as the Reverend's and Mr. Crush's. A pox on you all for dragging me down with you!

>When someone makes a movie portraying your national culture as one
>self-destructively obsessed with guns, violent "mediation" between social
>elements, and unrestrained corporate greed - AND PEOPLE WITHIN YOUR CULTURE THEN
>TURN IT INTO A FUCKING SATURDAY MORNING CARTOON SHOW FOR SELLING MERCHANDISE TO
>KIDS - it seriously underscores how well the film called things as they were.

Ha. Yup. The one thing that was cool about Robocop was how unrelentingly satirical it was, in the sense that practically anyone connected to corporate was stained, even Bob Morton, the corporate exec behind Robocop. In that sense, it feels almost dogmatic in its approach. Still, there's a level of moral muddiness one would normally not find in a blockbuster action flick, especially in this time period.

But yeah, it's just a well made film--I still get chills thinking about the unfortunate toadie who got wasted by ED-209 and the incredible tension in the build-up of that scene.

Was I actively thinking about any of this when I saw it the first time, though? I was twelve, I think. It was appreciated on a visceral level. Like the splatter scenes in the Toxic Avenger.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2011 02:48PM by gingaio.
Sanjeev (Admin)
gingaio Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...wait, they're the
> same shitty low standards as the Reverend's and
> Mr. Crush's.

Nah. You liked Raimi's Spider-Man. :P

By the way, speaking of looking up shit online...I just checked prices for Hot Toys' Robocop.

Yeah.

Don't do that.
I figure girls would be more into Nendoroid than anything else.
gingaio Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Me and my shitty low standards...wait, they're the
> same shitty low standards as the Reverend's and
> Mr. Crush's. A pox on you all for dragging me down
> with you!

Eh, I don't bother with putting down other people's taste in things. I just state when I don't get it. That is not at all stating that anyone else has poor taste, so I hope it didn't come across that way. I admittedly often like movies with horrible production values, but I personally would much rather watch than something like Robocop. Like I said, I found it OK. I've seen it a couple times over the years, but if someone said to me "Let's watch a sci-fi flick!" Robocop wouldn't even come to mind. I'll take Death Race 2000 or Zardoz over it any day. They do a Figma Frankenstein and I'll be all over it.

EDIT: "My standards for what makes a good movie are very high, though." I should have wrote it thusly instead: "My standards for what makes a good movie are very stringent."

More serious than thou



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2011 03:55PM by fujikuro.
Sanjeev (Admin)
VF5SS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I figure girls would be more into Nendoroid than
> anything else.

Certainly possible. SD appeal knows no borders.


fujikuro Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That is not at all stating that
> anyone else has poor taste, so I hope it didn't
> come across that way.

I sure didn't take it that way.

I think folks (including myself) just like talking about stuff they like...including why they like it. :)


> I'll take
> Death Race 2000 or Zardoz over it any day.

I could do a Jason Statham Figma; does that count?

Sean Connery in a fire engine-red loincloth? Mmm...no so much...
Sanjeev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> fujikuro Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > That is not at all stating that
> > anyone else has poor taste, so I hope it didn't
> > come across that way.
>
> I sure didn't take it that way.
>
Ditto. Just goofing around, Serious One.
>
> > I'll take
> > Death Race 2000 or Zardoz over it any day.
>
> I could do a Jason Statham Figma; does that
> count?
>
I don't want to hear about what you want to "do" or "not do," Reverend. Keep that shit to yourself.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer