New Revoltech Thread Untouched by the Masses

Posted by Gcrush 
OK, so Iron Man didn't go over so well. No worries, I come bearing the promised gifts instead.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Don't forget this one:

------------------------------------------------
"Ranchero music is the Mexican form of psychological warfare. Eventually it will break us and we will give them back California, anything to stop those cursed accordions."

-Chirico Cuvie
I swear that Woodrow R. Voltesch is programmed to be the penultimate pervert.
If he is the penultimate, who is the ultimate?

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
You get away from those girls you sick bastard.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2010 10:55PM by Vincent Z..
Attachments:
open | download - 1291866328690.jpg (40.8 KB)
open | download - 1291866810132.jpg (112.2 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Vincent Z. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You get away from those girls you sick bastard.

uhhh...

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
GUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNBUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSTER

[www.hlj.com]

mcfitch (Admin)
Vincent Z. Wrote:
> You get away from those girls you sick bastard.

Oh the irony...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
See, that's why I posted a picture of a bird that is perched on a sign that's saying "no birds allowed"....never mind.

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
mcfitch (Admin)
And you thought that joke was gonna fly? FLY! BIRD! GET IT?
-Mason

Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
I don't get it.

[prometheusrising.net]
"I don't get it."

It's ok to pay for it. Sometimes.

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2010 05:14PM by hillsy.
>Oh the irony...

Gee, that's what you really think I go around doing.

[blog.livedoor.jp]

billy and the argonauts

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2011 01:59PM by VF5SS.
Attachments:
open | download - billyskel.jpg (45.9 KB)
VF5SS Wrote:
> billy and the argonauts

Ah, you beat me to it. Good stuff.

Also, I just noticed this. Anyone else find it odd that there are action figure scaled dildos in the pic that Ben posted? Like, who knew there was a market for that?

Gcrush Wrote:
-----------------------------------------------------
>
> Also, I just noticed this. Anyone else find it
> odd that there are action figure scaled dildos in
> the pic that Ben posted? Like, who knew there was
> a market for that?
>

Sorry you had to find out this way.

[prometheusrising.net]
Maybe they aren't scaled for action figures, but just for very tiny (your orifice here). The real question is....will it fit my child?

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
hillsy Wrote:
> ...The real
> question is....will it fit my child?

The first Sisko facepalm of the year is the sweetest!

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Best Eva Revoltech so far. The Eva-02 isn't even my favorite from the anime and I want this.

[www.amiami.jp]

Rev #100

[blog.livedoor.jp]

Anonymous User
Because we really needed another evangelion revoltech...
[blog.livedoor.jp]

alien vs. predator

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2011 03:56PM by VF5SS.
Attachments:
open | download - avp.jpg (89 KB)
VF5SS Wrote:
> alien vs. predator

I will vouch for this. The Predator and Alien Revoltech figures are what I wanted waaay back when I bought the original Kenner "Versus" two pack. The great thing is that they can both be had for less compared to a MIB specimen of said two pack. Glory.

I have infinitesimally small complaints about the Pred. Eyes are painted wonky, looking off to the side. Control panel doesn't close properly on mine. No bone trophies or elbow straps. No open mandibles for roaring action. And, contrary to all my previous experience with the line, the revolver joint paint and finish do not match with the limbs they connect. Which is so odd because in every other figure I have they are so absolutely pitch-perfect I'm boggled how they get two different types of plastic to line up so well. Hmm.

Oh, and Gigan is TEH TITS. Probably the best daikaiju they've released so far. I can't get over how perfect it is. Transparent eye piece, moving mandibles, well concealed joints, flying AND walking poses, exploding scenery. More glory.

Between Revoltech and Bandai's reboot of their action figure lines I'm getting all the toys I wished I'd had as a kid exactly how I want them. It's amazing.
While it's not a Revoltech, I picked up a Love Machine. It's the first Figma I've played with and the joints are much, much preferable over Kaiyodo's gimmick. While it's larger than most Revoltechs it balances better and feels less floppy all around. Also, it's a deliciously goofy design. Wish they'd included the Evil Micky Mouse form instead of the stupid "punched squirrel", but no big deal. Everyone should get one of these. They're good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2011 11:23AM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - Loved Machined.jpg (56.1 KB)
Whatever happened to the Revoltech T-Rex from Jurassic Park? That looked really cool.

-Ginrai
Gcrush-Love Machine is bigger than most other figma.

Ginrai-They probably couldn't get the rights as it was the T-Rex froM Jurassic Park

Also at Wonderfest, they showed off a figma (yes figma, not revoltech) Robocop.

Ginrai Wrote:
> Whatever happened to the Revoltech T-Rex from
> Jurassic Park? That looked really cool.

I've wondered about this, too. The Starship Troopers powersuit is MIA as well and both it and the t-rex had fully tooled and painted prototypes shown. Hell, the powersuit even made appearances in their promo inserts. Maybe they're spacing out the releases a bit. They've done that with other lines.

Vincent Z. Wrote:
> Ginrai-They probably couldn't get the rights as it
> was the T-Rex froM Jurassic Park

On what are you basing that guess? The figure was pretty far along in development. What seems more reasonable, that they dumped all that time and money into a product for which they had forgotten to get the license or that they've delayed it?
Oh, and in the ongoing weeny-wagging match between Bandai and Kaiyodo with regard to Evangelion we have this latest development - EVA-00 and EVA-03. Both were Bandai web-exclusives in their Robot Spirits line and both are now going to get released as Revoltechs.

Still, it seems like Bandai is missing the boat on these by making them exclusive. At least Kaiyodo is addressing that.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2011 12:53PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - EVA-03.jpg (104 KB)
Gaigan does look great. How big is it, though? Seems like $40 ought to equal a figure at least 6 inches in height.

More serious than thou
fujikuro Wrote:
> Gaigan does look great. How big is it, though?
> Seems like $40 ought to equal a figure at least 6
> inches in height.

I wouldn't pay $40 for one, but I'll point out that some sofubi daikaiju in the 6" range go for as much...

Anyway, the Revoltech daikaiju figures in the sci-fi line are smaller than their sofubi counterparts. Gaigan is listed as being around 5.7 inches. I think that's right since without the horn it'd be around 5.5" or generally 5" in scale. They're smaller, but gooder because: A) they're poseable; B) all come with environmental accessories; and C) better sculpted/painted in general. And if you order from HLJ or a few other sites you can get them for around $30 delivered. And that ain't bad.

Really, I have yet to be utterly disappointed with one because I'm down with the actionfiguriness of them. There are a few things I would switch up on the occasional figure, but nothing major. They hit a sweet spot between price and hand-candy that makes me satisfied. They were even better before the exchange rate got so screwy. Try one like Gigan - if you hate it, you'll hate them all.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2011 09:34PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - 145 big ones.jpg (437.8 KB)
It's such a temptation... like I said, Gigan looks fantastic. So does Gamera (probably the one of these I'm most likely to nab), and Baragon, and Moguera, and Angilas, etc etc. There's the problem. I just can't afford to go collecting yet another line!!!

More serious than thou
Okay, they would not be advertising it as a Jurassic Park toy at toy shows if they did not get the license ahead of time. If somehow they LOST the license, they could have released it as just generic T-Rex or something. I mean, a T-Rex is a T-Rex.

-Ginrai
fujikuro Wrote:
> It's such a temptation... like I said, Gigan
> looks fantastic. So does Gamera (probably the one
> of these I'm most likely to nab), and Baragon, and
> Moguera, and Angilas, etc etc. There's the
> problem. I just can't afford to go collecting yet
> another line!!!

I hear ya. With the exchange rate the way it is I usually wait a good three to six months before ordering any Revoltechs. They rarely go out of stock or production, so it's easy to save on shipping if you're not in a rush. And HLJ has a habit of flushing them out periodically - like right now at least Mothra and Rodan are on sale.

Gamera is a good figure - really good. If they had used the original Gamera suit or the one from Gamera 3 I might rate it higher than Gigan. But if you're really curious, grab a Gamera. If it doesn't sway you nothing else will. ^^
According to this set of interview questions from Wonderfest over on Itsalltrue.net, Kaiyodo is about to break your [read: my] heart. Stolen from the source above:

---

Q: You mentioned Jet Jaguar was in the plans. Are there any plans to repaint him in his Medic, Fire Fighter, and Silver colors from Godzilla Island?

Kaiyodo: Jet Jaguar has been canceled.

Q: Any plans to do Mothra in larva form?

Kaiyodo: Mothra in Larva form has been on the table, but is now in limbo (but a limbo close to the table).

Q: Any news on when Godzilla might be coming and which version?

Kaiyodo: Godzilla will not be coming. The prime monsters from the Godzilla franchise (Godzilla, King Gidorah, Mecha Godzilla) are only accessible to the biggest toy manufacturer in Japan, and they have no intention of releasing that grip.

Q: Any plans to do Zilla, the Godzilla from the 1998 US Godzilla movie?

Kaiyodo: Any incarnation Godzilla, including Zilla is off limits to all but the big B.

---

There was no mention of whom at Kaiyodo was interviewed (a representative), but there you have it. Supposedly we'll never see Jet Jaguar, King Gidorah, Mecha Godzilla, or ANY Godzilla as a Revoltech. Interesting.

I have no idea how vinyl or non-action-figurey licenses work in Japan, but it seems like an odd thing for Kaiyodo to say that Big Toy won't play ball. What about all those outfits that release countless vinyl versions of Godzilla? Was Bandai or Toho just cool with Kaiyodo doing b-list daikaiju? Is Bandai planning their own competing line? No chance of a collaboration project (ala BM)? Or is Kaiyodo just being coy about future releases?

In the meantime, here's a snippit about the T-rex:

---

Q: I’ve been anticipating that Jurassic Park T-Rex ever since he debuted is there any news on when he may be released?

Kaiyodo: The T-Rex is in a dormant state while we’re trying to work out the “Jurassic Park” licensing rights. But with the molds already made, we would like to push this one through.

---

So, there you go. A Kaiyodo rep at Wonderfest said that the T-rex is tooled and ready to go when the licensing issues are ironed out. Now we know who Vincent's deep throat is.
Oh, man, that kind of kills it for me. I love the characters, but how lame is it to NOT have the "protagonist" involved? I did order up Gamera, and at least you get the main character there. If only Bandai would be kind and do a similarly scaled and articulated Godzilla figure...

Hell, I suppose one could go with Moguera and Baragon and not have any cognitive dissonance with those. Rodan too, really. Revoltech Matango, anyonme???

More serious than thou

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2011 08:37PM by fujikuro.
fujikuro Wrote:
> I did order up Gamera, and at least you get the main character there.

Good, good. Let us know what you think. It's tiny, but powerful.

> Revoltech Matango, anyonme???

Yes. Please, yes. How about Dogera and Gezora. Mmm...
mcfitch (Admin)
G,
Takara did a Microman Godzilla line WITH Godzilla a few years ago. I don't see why another company couldn't do a Godzilla licensed toy???
-Mason

mcfitch Wrote:
> G,
> Takara did a Microman Godzilla line WITH Godzilla
> a few years ago. I don't see why another company
> couldn't do a Godzilla licensed toy???
> -Mason

Yeah, that's what I was thinking - there's tons of non-Bandai Godzilla stuff out there... Anyway, it seemed like an odd thing for a Kaiyodo rep to say about Bandai. Is trash-talk part of the usual toy business in Japan?

Also, and I'm not calling shenanigans on anyone here, but the interviews felt a little off to me. Not the questions, which were reader submitted, but the translated company representative replies. Again, not to impugn the reporter's ability, but my experience with foreign languages has taught me that metaphors are among the least transferable components of communication because they don't usually reference the same cultural logic. For example, poniendo los cuernos, a common Spanish metaphor for a context specific type of infidelity has no ready equivalent in English. People usually just translate it as "cheating" because there's no way to make the referent fit in English. And that use of "put" (poner) doesn't jibe with the same word in English; it can mean "put", "give", or a host of other concepts. If I said, "She was putting the horns on him," there's a good chance nobody would know what I was talking about.

Anyway.

The following translation was interesting, "Mothra in Larva form has been on the table, but is now in limbo (but a limbo close to the table)." I have no idea if Japanese makes use of the "off/on the table" metaphor or even "limbo". Which makes me guess:

A: Those particular metaphors do cross over between Japanese and English.
B: The interviewer is really, really good at translating Japanese to English.
C: The interviewee is really, really good at English.
D: There was some kind of mis-communication.
E: Other.

Most of those cases leave open the possibility of misinformation. Maybe the rep was being coy or joking. Maybe the interviewer punched up the translation for effect. Maybe a hundred other things.

I'm not going to hold my breath for a Revoltech Godzilla, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see one eventually. Shame about Jet Jaguar, though.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer