New Revoltech Thread Untouched by the Masses

Posted by Gcrush 
So the Masertank is to be sold as a stand alone Revoltech vehicle? Must be a first from them if that is true!

And the T-Rex...is that the official Jurassic Park T-Rex or just some generic one? Looks somewhat like the one from the films...

I see what Roger meant about the Revoltech joints taking a bit away from the aesthetics of the Kaiju figures but the sculpting and the neatness factor is so dead on that it's really negligible for me, kind of like how screw holes don't necessarily detract from gokins...of course I've never actually handled a Revoltech before so I'm not sure how the play/quality factor will be on these (flimsiness? cheapie materials? etc...).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2010 10:42AM by H-man.
Roger Wrote:
>
> And why is this thread in OT?

Shh! When I asked that, I got beat like a red-headed Vincent.

So, is the Revoltech Starship Troopers powered suit the same design as the older Kaiyodo diecast? I think that was supposed to be the Daicon Film version, but I've never compared that animation to the Kato book cover. I know the Uchuu Senshi anime design is... more rounded?

About the T. rex, I don't know if there's any official word on whether it's licensed Jurassic Park merchandise, but my friend Sarah is a big JP fan, and she says the Revoltech matches certain idiosyncratic aspects of the movie design, like head shape and definition of the ribs.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Yes, it's the same design as the Kaiyodo diecast. The Daicon film used Katoh's original design used in the novel, not the OAV version.
Did they ever publish any design art for that, or is all we have the actual book cover and twelve seconds of animation?

-Paul Segal

I have this line art from Daicon.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Attachments:
open | download - 1197403237425.jpg (449.9 KB)
Yeah, the Daicon line art squashed it a tiny bit for comedic effect, but the design is the same.

The Starship Troopers novelization itself actually has what you could consider official line art, on a two page spread that shows blueprints for the suit spread over a desk.

Katoh also published a book that includes later iterations of the suit that he rendered for the Wave model kits, as well as his designs for The Forever War and Forever Peace:

[www.amazon.co.jp]
I find this awesome and you will too.

Attachments:
open | download - wf10w136.jpg (98.9 KB)
Why yes, that is pretty cool. Looks like a custom build-block set? Megablocks Spazer?
It's made from the Assemble Borg bike.
Hmm, looks like Kaiyodo slimmed it down. That design has some beefy forearms. And of course the Kaiyodo diecast has a transparent visor for the pilot, rather than that version with sensors and STUFF inside it.

Roger Wrote:
> Yeah, the Daicon line art squashed it a tiny bit for comedic effect, but the design is the same.
>
> The Starship Troopers novelization itself actually has what you could consider official line art,
> on a two page spread that shows blueprints for the suit spread over a desk.

I would like to see that as well. I only have seen a scan of the cover, which I think you might have linked me in the first place.

-Paul Segal

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2010 12:26AM by asterphage.
H-man Wrote:
> And the T-Rex...is that the official Jurassic Park
> T-Rex or just some generic one? Looks somewhat
> like the one from the films...

Yeah it's an offical Jurassic Park T-Rex, it's identified as being from Jurassic Park 2 so more specifically Lost World T-Rex.

Personally I'm excited about the Getter Robo Go! Though it's identifed as having two heads and equipment so not sure how they're going to pull that off. =/
Sanjeev (Admin)
I wonder if the legs wrapped around to his back imply that they're gonna make a Spazer...
I think it just implies that Revoltech joints bend 90+ degrees.

Man, I hate how they applied the "OVA Getter" proportions to Grendizer here. I know they want it to look good next to the Revoltech Getters and Mazinkaiser and so on, but it just seems like a poorly considered redesign. VF pointed out to me earlier that the "T.O.P." resin kit/completed statue of Roboizer is in a similar style, and yet it looks great, while the Revoltech Grendizer just seems slapdash, like a generic Yamaguchi figure wearing an ill-fitting Grendizer suit.
And don't get me started on those forearms and elbow joints... everything about them looks wrong to me.

-Paul Segal

Sanjeev (Admin)
We've already been there, Paul.

I hope they do a Steel Jeeg Revolech. I liked the way the original Jeeg looked in the 2007 anime.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2010 01:22PM by Vincent Z..
You know who hates Pixar?...people who are wrong...
Looking at these revoltech Woody and Buzz figures I can honestly say that the concepts translates very well...look how well the joints are incorporated into Buzz's design...
Attachments:
open | download - ap_20100308074428101.jpg (38.1 KB)
Oh My God! Those are fantastic, and totally out of left field. I will most certainly need Buzz.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
fel9 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You know who hates Pixar?...people who are
> wrong...
> Looking at these revoltech Woody and Buzz figures
> I can honestly say that the concepts translates
> very well...look how well the joints are
> incorporated into Buzz's design...

To be fair, it has to be easier to make a toy of something that was designed AS a toy in the first place, right?

Saying that, those are beautiful. Buzz looks perfect. I suspect he'll grace many a desktop at Pixar once it ships.

Do you know what I'd like to see? It's totally and utterly impossible but...Major Matt Mason. Heck, the original bendy rubber figure is about Revoltech size already.
SteveH: Holy Crap...Major Matt Mason is a great idea...

Heck if we are going down that road why not Micronauts...Yeah, Yeah, Yeah...there is that Assembleborg line, but it ain't Micronauts...
Sanjeev (Admin)
fel9 Wrote:
> SteveH: Holy Crap...Major Matt Mason is a great
> idea...
>
> Heck if we are going down that road why not
> Micronauts...Yeah, Yeah, Yeah...there is that
> Assembleborg line, but it ain't Micronauts...

Yeah, I've already had dreams of Revoltech Outer Space Men...but I'd honestly just rather have reissues of the original bendies.

Well...

At this point, I'll take anything.
fel9 Wrote:
> SteveH: Holy Crap...Major Matt Mason is a great
> idea...
>
> Heck if we are going down that road why not
> Micronauts...Yeah, Yeah, Yeah...there is that
> Assembleborg line, but it ain't Micronauts...

See, this is clearly a sign I'm insane. A Japanese company making toys (or at least the figures) from a dead '60s Mattel toy line? Madness. Illogical. Downright crazy train.

Yet there are rumbles that Mattel just might revive MMM for their Mattycollector web only store and I cry a little, as they would either a. just pop out the rubber bendy guys for $50 each or b. 're-imagine' the property and mess it all up with an oddball figure size, no vehicles and typical American action figure limited articulation ('cause Matt Mason HAS to be able to sit, or he can't drive stuff!).

Whereas if, by some insane magical mystic way, Matt Mason was done as a Revoltech, he'd be the same size as the original so it could interact with vintage vehicles, he'd be able to pose like crazy, he'd have different hands and he could sit. And he wouldn't cost $50 (PLUS postage!) and be limited to the first 100 scalpers who locked up the site to order him...
A few new product pages are up. If this this figure doesn't wet your panties you're broken. And that makes me feel sad for you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2010 06:56PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - 100501eva2_2.jpg (146.5 KB)
open | download - 100501eva2_3.jpg (128.2 KB)
It doesn't wet my pants, and I'm not broken either. I find Evangelion to be one of the most over-hyped, over-rated shows EVAR! And don't get me started on the freaks who think Rei would be the perfect wife...blargh!
Backing up to the Pixar revoltechs...I want a whole lineup of robots from Wall-E...carry on...
microeric Wrote:
> It doesn't wet my pants, and I'm not broken
> either. I find Evangelion to be one of the most
> over-hyped, over-rated shows EVAR! And don't get
> me started on the freaks who think Rei would be
> the perfect wife...blargh!

Yes. You are broken.

Because the first thing you did was hate on Evangelion rather than marvel at a super-poseable psychotic giant cyborg with option parts that make it appear to be jetting blood from a severed limb. Seriously, go back and look at how ingeniously they achieved that effect. It's glorious.

And what unmarried fuckers in this thread even brought up Rei?
Sanjeev (Admin)
I can't even tell what I'm looking at in that pic.

Granted...that "effect part" simulating blood spray is pretty bitchin'. Everything else about the toy can suck it.

I did like Evangelion, by the way.
Sanjeev Wrote:
> I can't even tell what I'm looking at in that
> pic.

It's EVA-02 from the second remake installment. It blows all of the restraining bolts and goes berserk in attempting to take out some angel. Yes, that's as silly as it sounds. But... Just look at it. It's kuh-ray-zee.

> Granted...that "effect part" simulating blood
> spray is pretty bitchin'. Everything else about
> the toy can suck it.

I can't get enough of toys that jet blood and boast gore so well. It's the one concession I'll make to 80's toys - by and large they really knew how to do gross and they had the freedom to do it back then. I eat it up when a contemporary toy can do the same.

> I did like Evangelion, by the way.

I enjoyed most of the giant cyborg action, but the rest of the story was so muddled and indulgent I hated it. The remakes address this pretty well, so I'm favoring them over the original anime at the moment. But it is still far from being my fav.

What I really want to see are some Vampire Hunter D and Ninja Scroll Revoltechs...
The real questions is....can you fit the blood spray on to Figma Billy, somehow?

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Gcrush Wrote:
> I can't get enough of toys that jet blood and
> boast gore so well. It's the one concession I'll
> make to 80's toys - by and large they really knew
> how to do gross and they had the freedom to do it
> back then. I eat it up when a contemporary toy
> can do the same.

Well said.

Still, I think 80's toys were more about fun gross than realistic gore gross. But I hear you.

As for EVA, I'm actually the opposite! I hated the robot/monster/cyborg/whatever crap (because none of it made sense and it was just a hook like Carlos' vagina monsters)...the deconstruction of the today's Japanese male youth was far more compelling to me. So...that's a fancy-schmancy way of saying, while I respect the blood spray bit, no EVA toys for me, thanks!
Hillsy, can you believe I still haven't tracked down a Billy figure?

Sanjeev, I wouldn't buy that damn EVA if it didn't come with the bloody spray. ^^
That's too bad. I can see a good diorama of Figma Duke Togo sniping Billy w/ spray.

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Somewhere...

Billy is crying.
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Somewhere...
>
> Billy is crying.

But he's doing it whilst fondling himself, and that's the important part.

More serious than thou
Upcoming Revoltech from a game I haven't heard about until this figure was shown called Professor Layton.

"G'day to you madam."

Attachments:
open | download - 1268407592797.jpg (297.5 KB)
Original TV Giant Robo, and it doesn't suffer from excessive crotch thrust sculpting...

I think I'm really liking this 'rubber suit creature' phase they're in.
mcfitch (Admin)
I want to see crotch thrust Godzilla. I don't really want to see it, but I wonder how that would be implemented.
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
mcfitch Wrote:
> I want to see crotch thrust Godzilla. I don't
> really want to see it, but I wonder how that would
> be implemented.

Mason, don't be shy. You're among friends. It's safe to talk about that stuff here.

On a totally unrelated note, I received a Cow-Tits Revoltech in the mail this week. It's... Glorious. Came with a pamphlet detailing the release dates of the next Sci-fi figures, too. But I can't find that at the moment. All I remember is that the T-Rex and Mothra release dates were TBD. Whatevs.

Photos of Cow-Tits will come sometimes in April. For reasons to be announced at the time of their publication. Etc.

Oh, and Baragon has a bendy tail. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
"Cow-Tits Revoltech"

Errr....que?

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer