I am amazed

Posted by fujikuro 

I never though I'd see the day. It'll take a while for this to set in.

More serious than thou

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2008 11:31PM by fujikuro.
Cosign, with happiness.
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
I am glowing. All those fucking annoying phone calls paid off...
cae
Now ... as the final nail in the racism coffin, watch our government continue with business as usual ... =P

---------------------------------
hassenpfeffer
Pissing on the parade is so passe.

It's a hopeful moment. He's got four years to screw up expectations, and it's not like he's going to effect any major changes in that time, with or without Republican support, but I can't remember another time in my lifetime when there was so much promise, not even when 'Ol Bubba played sax on Arsenio Hall and got himself elected.
Erik Sjoen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am glowing. All those fucking annoying phone
> calls paid off...

Those rambling phone calls you make to me at 3 in the morning every Tuesday, informing me that you're watching British Parliament on CSPAN and masturbating furiously, had nothing to do with this.
Erik has a crush on Gordon Brown?
[www.youtube.com]

Gundam 00 totally called it.
cae
> Pissing on the parade is so passe.

Oh, heck. And I was so hoping to remain trendy.

Dissent and skepticism is healthy.

Am I pleased with the results of the election? Yes.

Am I blind, a hook deep in my gills? No.

hassenpfeffer
cae Wrote:
> Dissent and skepticism is healthy.
>
> Am I pleased with the results of the election?
> Yes.
>
> Am I blind, a hook deep in my gills? No.

Corey, you sound like a 15-year-old who's just read Nietzsche. A little hopefulness now and then doesn't require the absolute sacrifice of common sense, careful scrutiny, God, faith, and Fido...or the constant, nagging reminder that Washington is corrupt no matter who's in office--yadda-yadda-ya--and Obama's no messiah--yadda-yadda-ya.

For example, while it's true that we're all going to die, you are not required to go to someone's birthday party for the express purpose of reminding that person of that. Though you do have every right to dissent to the happiness, sure.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2008 04:00PM by gingaio.
gingaio Wrote:
> For example, while it's true that we're all going
> to die, you are not required to go to someone's
> birthday party for the express purpose of
> reminding that person of that.

That's funny, because Mr. Sjoen called me on my birthday to remind me that I was going to die. And I think it's going to happen! (one day)
Was this before, after, or while Sjoen was spanking it to vintage copies of TereBikun.

(I mention this only because of my affection for Mr. Sjoen.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2008 04:07PM by gingaio.
I think its amazing that the name "Obama" has actually only been used FIVE times EVER on Toybox. And none of them are in this thread.
cae
> Corey, you sound like a 15-year-old who's just read Nietzsche.

Hey, whatever. Not trying to get into an argument, here. Just stating an opinion.

When a person's happiness is dependent on other's obeisance to it, one is left questioning the depth of said conviction.

hassenpfeffer
Hey, it’s cool, man. I wasn’t trying to start a fight either. I was just trying to point out how annoying some of your posts have been (some I also find amusing; most I don't feel any particular way about). It’s sort of like when you called out Japester for pissing on this board constantly. It really wouldn’t have made much sense if he came back and said, “Well, Corey, you’re only annoyed by me because your love for ToyboxDX is dependent on me loving it, too. So I doubt the depth of your conviction.”

I’m not saying that your posts are anywhere near as annoying as that guy’s, and I’m not saying I even know you well enough to judge you as a person, but the de rigeur hard-luck, world-weary cynicism that characterizes some of your posts have recently been grating on me. Why? Who knows. Maybe I'm allergic. Maybe it’s because your tossed-off complaints, whether it’s about how it doesn’t matter who the president is...the government’s still flawed...that Obama guy is no savior...you won’t blindly follow him...well, all of that is painfully obvious and most of us aren’t sheep or stupid or have said anything suggesting that we are, so I’m scratching my head as to why it even needs to be articulated.

Anyway. Whatever. I’m sure I annoy you, too. Peace!
cae
Ah. I have been pissy of late just in general - I wont deny that. Sorry if you felt like I was pissing on you or the board - didn't mean to come off that way.

For what it is worth, you typically don't annoy me.

hassenpfeffer
Hey, I shouldn't have brought up Nietzsche. I mean, who reads that guy anyways?
cae
ulk - I have! (just not since I was 15 ... )

hassenpfeffer
And all is right with the world.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
And another thing that's nice to see is the smile on EVERY black person in my neighborhood!

Seriously, I'm generally with Corey in that Obama's election isn't going to stem the tanking economy, provide equal rights for gay people, divert funds from the prison and war industrial complexes and into education, or ANY other social ill any time soon....BUT I've never seen such hope among my black friends.

Before, black men in their 20's and 30's were the least likely constituency to vote...not anymore, baby!!

There's clearly a LONG journey ahead...but this sure ain't a bad first step.
Ah, Corey....you may be the turd in the punchbowl, but a lovely little turd you are.

And I was wondering why the pages of the Terebi-Kun dupes Sjoen gave me were all stuck together....

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
I live in Atlanta and to say that people here are happy with the Presidential is an understatement.

But this morning on my ride into work there was a radio news segment about how leaders in the black community here are concerned that our new president elect will not appoint enough black members to his cabinet...hmmmmmmmm
There's no reason to think he would....he didn't at the Harvard Review.

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
mcfitch (Admin)

But this morning on my ride into work there was a radio news segment about how leaders in the black community here are concerned that our new president elect will not appoint enough black members to his cabinet...hmmmmmmmm

I'd be more concerned with him appointing the RIGHT members to his cabinet regardless of race. Dipshits.

I too am filled with hope and am shocked that a black man could win the US presidential election in my lifetime. Up until a few months ago I didn't think it was possible. Now that hope is slightly tarnished (or I've just been brought back to reality) by the comments above from the radio show that show just how racist the country still is *sigh*.
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
cae
Don't look at me. I didn't say anything.

hassenpfeffer
mcfitch Wrote:
> But this morning on my ride into work there was a
> radio news segment about how leaders in the black
> community here are concerned that our new
> president elect will not appoint enough black
> members to his cabinet...hmmmmmmmm
>
> I'd be more concerned with him appointing the
> RIGHT members to his cabinet regardless of race.
> Dipshits.
>
> I too am filled with hope and am shocked that a
> black man could win the US presidential election
> in my lifetime. Up until a few months ago I
> didn't think it was possible. Now that hope is
> slightly tarnished (or I've just been brought back
> to reality) by the comments above from the radio
> show that show just how racist the country still
> is *sigh*.
> -Mason

But the REALLY CRAZY part of the remarks were that they were made by black men...
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well, the way *I* read that is that they're not really concerned about who's "right" or "wrong" for the position.

Global capitalism is pretty corrupt around these parts and it shows in our tanking economy. Individuals' education and personal success aren't the focus of our culture anymore...the desperate profit-making or our corporations is.

Like Corey was implying before, I don't think a few individuals at the top--regardless of their intelligence or good intentions--can solve these problems on their own. This country runs on corporate dollars, first and foremost. That create's a conflict of interest at every level dealing with real human beings. Why educate people? Just train them to consume.

I feel that the only real change in society can come from the grassroots level, where the individual person learns how to step outside of the myriad oppressions inherent in this corrupt form of capitalism, and figures out how to think for him/herself. That's the revolutionary's point of view.

In contrast, the reformist's point of view is that change in society comes from within the system, presumably at a high level. I don't have much faith in that...and I would guess that those black leaders on the radio think the same way. But if so, why worry about Obama putting black people in his cabinet? Well, as I said before, just go out and talk to black folks in your community.

I've never seen such hope--even if it's not based in anything substantial (and I think they know that: they realize racism isn't going to end magically on 1/20/09, for example). The point is that Obama's election is actually mobililzing people in a positive way, on the grassroots level...even if Obama, himself, may not effect much lasting change as a man working within the system.

I believe those black community leaders are trying to build upon that movement, instead of letting it fizzle out. By having more black people in positions of power, there's more community dialog (hence this very thread!)...and, thus, more grassroots activity.

Hey, you may look at it as racism, but if anything, I'd call it a *reaction* to the rampant, systematic racism that exists in this country. I think the bottom line is that all our heads and hearts are in the right place...we just have differing views on how to engineer a better tomorrow.

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave
fel9 Wrote:
> But the REALLY CRAZY part of the remarks were that
> they were made by black men...

What makes that so crazy...?

You may want to read this article on the history witnessed by a man who worked 34 years in the White House as a butler.

[www.washingtonpost.com]

It may put some of their fears into perspective. Granted, I believe they're being very knee jerk but the anxiety is pretty justified.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2008 09:13PM by Kwesi K..
There have been African-American cabinet members going as far back as 1966. What's the issue?
I believe the issue is that it scares them that Obama didn't court the civil rights old guard as fervently as other liberal presidential candidates have in the past, so they have jumped to conclusions about his true intentions. All the while ignoring that Colin Powel is an active advisor and, if he's up to getting back into the game, a possible candidate for a position.

In other words, there is none. It's a knee jerk reaction.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2008 12:33AM by Kwesi K..
I can't thank you for that, Roger, but I can curse you for it.

More serious than thou
Why would you curse him fo-WE VOTIN' AN LIVIN IT UP!!!-ARRGHH it won't go away!!! Damn you Roger!!!
We're gonna rock around Barack tonight!
Who has $50,000? I have an AMAZING investment opportunity.

[cgi.ebay.com]

It's GOLD, I tell ya!

[www.youtube.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Honestly, those videos--as hilariously bad as they are--aren't even remotely the worst pro-Obama videos I've seen.

The ones that really make me want to kick a puppy in the ribs are the insipid ones with all the "celebrities" singing about hope and change.

[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

You want to give me hope, motherfucker? You want to create change?

Give away all your money.
Here was a celebrity that very nearly did. It'd be interesting to hear who knew about this guy:

[en.wikipedia.org]

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yup...Manute Bol! Crazy big...no skills.

But a helluva guy. Now if that dude wanted to say something real about politics, society, or whatever, I'd listen.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer