Yokai ATTACK!

Posted by MattAlt 
MattAlt (Admin)
Great news! My third book (and second with my wife Hiroko) is finally available in North America and Europe! Yokai Attack: The Japanese Monster Survival Guide is your one-stop illustrated guide to Japan's traditional creepy-crawlies. Hiroko and I spent a year gathering data from all sorts of sources. Learn about Tanuki, Kitsune, Kappa, Tengu, Zashiki Warashi, and lots of other guys who probably appear in all sorts of anime, manga, and films without your having noticed. A total of 46 in all.

I'm also posting yokai-related tidbits on the AltJapan blog. If you're of the Facebook persuasion, we also launched a group for the book there, too. And we'll be unveiling an official website soon.

Yoroshiku!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2008 04:02AM by MattAlt.
Attachments:
open | download - yokaiattack.jpg (84.7 KB)
Congrats, Matt :-)

Will this be sold thru Kinokuniya stores?
Sanjeev (Admin)
AWESOME!!

Can't wait to pick up a copy!
mcfitch (Admin)
I'll totally grab one Matt. Congratulations to you and Hiroko. And a review by Steve Niles, sweet!
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
I have an irrational dislike of Steve Niles. The only reason I'm reading Simon Dark is because I love Scott Hampton's art. I swear.

Anyway, Yokai Attack is a very cool book and I highly recommend it. I was amazed at how many times I've seen yokai in one form or another and never really was aware of it. And it got me on a bit of a yokai collecting kick, too. I've recently scored a sweet game with some yokai and western monsters on it, some "yokai smoke" and also a glow Karakasa keychain. I just wish there were more cool yokai items out there to find..

"There's no Bigfoot in The Awakening." -James Bickert
MattAlt (Admin)
Drif,

It should already have been available in Kinokuniyas worldwide (I know Singapore has copies for sure) but this represents the big mainstream release to all the bricks-and-mortar bookstores in the US, Canada, and Europe. It may take a week or so to reach the shops, but it's up on Amazon now.

Mason,
Reviews by Steve Niles AND Don Coscarelli! Both of those were big scores for us. Hiroko and I really liked "30 Days of Night," and we're big fans of "Phantasm."
mcfitch (Admin)
Sweet, I'll just rollright up ro Barnes and Noble tonight and see when it's available.
-Mason

Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
MattAlt (Admin)
Thanks, please do LMK if you find it on the shelves there.
mcfitch (Admin)
Crap, didn't have time last night but I'll look as soon as I can.
-Mason

mcfitch (Admin)
I checked their site just now which shows a publish date of October 2008, but I'll stop by a store anyway since their online dates are often different than what you hear in the store. We'll see.
-Mason
[search.barnesandnoble.com]

MattAlt (Admin)
Thanks!
mcfitch (Admin)
Good news Matt! Barnes and Noble has them in stock and I picked one up for me and one for Sanjeev.

Bad news Matt! They have them in the Humor section (possibly because of the Zombie survival guide). I talked to an employee there and left a note for the manager.

Indifferent news Matt! They didn't have Super #1 Robot in stock. I can't for the life of me find my copy. It was either lost during the move or my ex-wife has it. I was bummed because I had some people over and wanted to show it to them but it was not to be. Oh well, I'll check the B&N near my house.
-Mason

Sanjeev (Admin)
Good news Me! Mason got you a copy of Matt's Yokai Attack! book. Killer!
MattAlt (Admin)
Thanks for the update, Mason! Actually, the book is being categorized in Humor / Parody for lack of a better category. Although "this shit's real," Mythology doesn't quite fit, nor does non-fiction. And Humor is actually a pretty a well-trafficked area. So it isn't a bad place to be, all things considered. Where did you suggest they put it, out of curiosity?

And sorry to hear your ex got custody of Super #1 Robot. The book is out of print and getting harder to come by. I seriously doubt you'll find copies laying around any major chain store this long after its publication. Your fastest bet is to order from Amazon, which definitely has copies in stock.
Anonymous User
The binding fell off my copy of Super #1 Robot almost immediately. Is that a common problem?
cae
> The binding fell off my copy of Super #1 Robot almost immediately.

Don't you recognize one step of transformation when you see one? Three more and you'd've had one helluva cool robot!

---------------------------------
hassenpfeffer
MattAlt (Admin)
I hate to say it, but the binding on S#1R is an embarrassment. I'd apologize if we had anything to do with it, but we weren't consulted either. It's really a shame... Although it did teach me to get the issue of bindings right on the table up front when discussing a book concept with a publisher. Both Hello, Please and Yokai Attack have nice and strong bindings.
Congrats Matt!
Saw lots of copies at the local Kinokuniya. Will be buying a few for myself and some friends - they make great gifts! Just waiting for the regular 20% members sale to come around :)
mcfitch (Admin)
Matt, I suggested the Sci-Fi or Horror sections to them. There's many books in both dealing with demons and folklore and since I figured (without having read it) that it fit better with folklore I suggested that. Was I far off? My thinking was that if someone's fishing for some Lovecraft and see's that they may be more apt to pick it up and browse than if they saw it on the same shelf as Garfield.

Also, thanks for the tip on Suoer #1 Robot. I may have to buy a few copies to keep any furture exes from running of with them again :D
-Mason

Sanjeev (Admin)
Also, thanks to Mason, who gave me my copy today. Barely got a chance to flip through it at lunch, but it looks like a fun read. Yes, sturdy binding is Go!

I'd say this should go in folklore, if the retailer has such a section...if not, mythology seems to make sense to me. Sci-Fi/Horror seems too fiction.

I don't think it matters that the book is funny. It's still a non-fictional text about real Japanese folklore. And who says learning can't be fun!? :P
MattAlt (Admin)
The problem with folklore is, very few people actually head down to that dusty corner of the store. We'd rather be up front, even if "humor" isn't a 100% accurate description. And hey, it IS humorous! :)

Speaking of which...

[www.scifijapan.com]
mcfitch (Admin)
OK, I suppose I won't be breaking their kneecaps then.
-Mason

Sanjeev (Admin)
Big news related to yokai publications:

Drawn and Quarterly will be publishing GeGeGe no Kitaro in English!

Pretty psyched about this.

About damn time!
For those Manga fans out there, espically horror manga, this is really good news...great stuff indeed....thanks for the heads up.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer