1:24 DIECAST Blade Runner Police Spinner PANIC!

Posted by RainBot 
Egads! Diecast! Big! (ish)
Anyone have info? Searching now. Must own this.

[www.monstersinmotion.com]

Update: This 1:24 scale Police Spinner measures 7 inches long. These pictures are of the finished die-cast model. Limited edition of 100 worldwide (!!!)

Still searching for the manufacturer...
and it's not "comet-miniatures"... they are just one of two British stores selling it for - gasp - £299. Jesus-Tricycle-Riding-Christ!
[www.comet-miniatures.com]

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2008 02:29AM by RainBot.
Attachments:
open | download - n04.jpg (35.1 KB)
Man, that's really nice, but not 299 pounds nice. Not even at 1/18 scale, which this should be, sitting next to my 1/18 diecast tumbler. Too bad...
Fan-cult SF? Expensive UK-origin diecast?

Maybe Miracle House will pick it up :-)
One can only hope. Maybe in a slightly darker blue or with different side numbers to differentiate it so as not to piss off collectors...
Word, Warhead. Or, rather, "ratio".
Your sobering comment nailed it for me. 1/18 or bust.
Waaaay to expensive. And the company has not emailed me about a manufacturer. Bastards.
There will be a larger Spinner some day.
Had to do it. Bit the bullet and preordered this. I don't even know when the due date for this is, but Blade Runner is really part of my nostalgic past. I was only 6 or 7 when I saw this, and really liked it even though I didn't quite "get it" at the time. I'll drop some impressions when it arrives.
Just got what I THINK is a shipping notice for this... impressions are soon to follow...
Got this today. Overall, love it. It definitely has some minuses, but being a nut for the design, I can live with them, even at the cost. Sanjeev had made reference to the appeal of rarity, and knowing that there are only 100 of these out there strokes my ego in jus tthe right way

The pluses:
1 AWESOME detail! Pain apps are flawless and attention to detail really went into this

2 HEAVY, definitely a lot of diecast in this piece, probably 75% as a conservative estimate. Maybe even too much, but more about that in the minuses...

3 It's the Spinner

4 Nice cockpit detailing.

5 Nice use of transparent red plastic for the brake lights.

The Minuses:

1 First one is a big one: due to how it was packaged the police light assemblies had been smashed down and warped. Because the whole assembly was made of diecast, this severely weakend it, and when I tried to gingerly correct them they snapped. The assemblies come off cleanly so I have requested replacements and should be able to make this repair with relative ease. For now, it's a Spinner with no lights. This part probably should have been molded in plastic.

2 The wheels don't spin. The front tread things I can understand due to the design, buy still...

3 The doors don't open, was kind of hoping I would have been able to display this with 'em open.

4 Windshield is flimsy, I dunno why, it just bothers me.

Overall, knowing the nature of this thing's origin, and keeping in mind that it really is a small operation that produced this, I am really impressed with the care that went into the assembly of these and don't regret the purchase. Besides, it sits nicely in the more cyberpunk themed 1/24 display I have going on.
Attachments:
open | download - Spinner.JPG (425.7 KB)
open | download - Bent Lights.JPG (404.1 KB)
open | download - Windshield.JPG (486.4 KB)
open | download - 1 24 Scales.JPG (435.6 KB)
Another Spinner on the way - apparently the Medicom Future Car will be redone as a proper legit Blade Runner Police Spinner in a Blu-Ray package to be released next month (I believe the scale is at or near 1/24).

Original TBDX article c/o RainBot:

[toyboxdx.com]

BBTS has presale at $179.99

[www.bigbadtoystore.com]

Wait... am I missing something? You paid like $500 in 2008 for a Hot Wheels sized Spinner? And it came broken? And now it's coming as a pack-in with the blu-ray? Not that blu-ray will help Blade Runner. It'll be darker and grainier in high-def and even LESS viewable.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
The diecast was an edition of 100 via Monsters in Motion - that one was 1/24 (about the size of the Unifive Mach). The Medicom is actually closer to 1/18 I guess. Remember, the Spinner is a rather smallish vehicle in real-world terms.

Ertl made Hot Wheels sized (1/64) spinners at the time of the movie's original release. A slightly bigger, maybe 1/43 metal spinner came with the deluxe briefcase DVD/BR/HD-DVD set that was released in 2008. The post that began this ancient thread up top was about the limited 1/24.

That limited diecast was really a miracle - the Spinner is an iconic and grail-worthy item for fans of the movie, yet licensing for the design has been frozen in conflict for all the years since. Compare to the 1966 Batmobile and the fervor that any accurate release generated until Mattel finally got all clearances to do a mass release.

Speaking of which, Mattel has been pretty good about opening up tricky licenses for collectors. Witness their Ghostbusters releases, especially the 1/6 figure likenesses. That's Hot Toys territory right there. Maybe this will catch the attention of some Blade Runner fans at Mattel?

I went back and forth on the limited diecast. In the end, I couldn't bite the bullet. Of course, if it'd been tricked out with action features, like the Studio Scale Enterprise or something, it would have been a harder resist. Warrhead, of course, went for it.

Even this Bu-Ray thing is pretty constrained. I wonder if the item will ever be sold separately in a box? The 1/43 premium never has been. And $180 is not bad considering the original Medicom fake-out went for $90. Plus you get a movie.
MattAlt (Admin)
"Not that blu-ray will help Blade Runner. It'll be darker and grainier in high-def and even LESS viewable."

Are you kidding? The Blade Runner BR is one of the sharpest, cleanest transfers I have ever seen. Amazing detail in the city scenes.
leMel42 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And $180 is not bad considering the original Medicom
> fake-out went for $90. Plus you get a movie.

$180 is pretty much what that wannabe version is going for these days (<a>[cgi.ebay.com];), so to get a fully accurate version for that price is pretty fair.
Sanjeev (Admin)
MattAlt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Not that blu-ray will help Blade Runner. It'll be
> darker and grainier in high-def and even LESS
> viewable."
>
> Are you kidding? The Blade Runner BR is one of the
> sharpest, cleanest transfers I have ever seen.
> Amazing detail in the city scenes.

I think he was watching it on his iPod with a cracked screen. ;)
josh fraser (Moderator)
Yeah Matt is right... that transfer is really sharp. A lot of detail that was lost in the dark shots is clear without losing the vintage feel of the film.

Do yourself a favor and see it in either Hi def or Blu ray after seeing the standard one and you will see a big difference. At least thats what I though. But most reviewers feel it is pretty top notch.
Heh, I'm still waiting for the players to come down enough in price for me to feel OK about buying one. I've still never actually watched an HD broadcast not ever seen an HD/Blueray movie even once.

More serious than thou
Anonymous User
look what yaco got.

[wildcats.pupui.jp]
Mine is sitting at UPS customer center, but they are closed today. A day long awaited. Pictures soon.
bt1
I would rather they have made it like this 1/16 custom

Sigh, but then it would cost a mint :-(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2011 05:10PM by bt1.
Did anyone notice that Blade Runner cars are getting some more love? There's Deckard's sedan. And some Bacon Mobile. They're models, but still... Who'da thunk it?

Almost totally unrelated, the Magnemo cars in the Total Recall movie reminded me of the rides in Blade Runner. For some reason there was lots of Korean used in the movie, too. One of the cop cars had a rather broken piece of language written on the roof in huge Hangeul. It read "e-ship-o"*. Which makes no sense. It's like writing "TWENTY FIVE" across the roof instead of "25". Dumb.

Actually, the whole style of that film reminded me of Blade Runner with an excessive number of JJ-Abrams Star Trek lens flares thrown in for good measure. Hell, the movie even had synthetic cops in it. Sheee-it.

* I tried to write this in Hangeul, but it made the phorum refused to swallow it and vomitted all over me. Weird. ???.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2012 02:38AM by Gcrush.
Apparently the old ERTL Alfa Romeo from Blade Runner has been reissued as the "Galactic Cruiser" in a recent Johnny Lightning series. There's speculation that the other cars are going to show up under different names in future releases.

Image error
File not found.
open image URL

Anyone pick up the 30th boxset with Spinner set? Saw it @ Target for $50. If so, Spinner any good?

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Roger
Apparently the old ERTL Alfa Romeo from Blade Runner has been reissued as the "Galactic Cruiser" in a recent Johnny Lightning series. There's speculation that the other cars are going to show up under different names in future releases.

Exciting! I have a couple versions of that Hot Wheels Syd Mead Future Limo from years ago. These would be nice to go with it.

hillsy
Anyone pick up the 30th boxset with Spinner set? Saw it @ Target for $50. If so, Spinner any good?

If it's the same one that came with the "briefcase" set of the previous five-disc Final Cut+director's cut+theatrical cut complete set, then it's... decent. Small... maybe somewhere between 1:48 and 1:64? Lots of detail and tiny parts, but rather mediocre paint job, a bit messy in many places.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Yep, that's the one. The one with the briefcase came with a police Spinner from the movie, while this new blu-ray set comes packaged with a concept version - silver paintjob with different parts atached to the top of the Spinner. Completeist territory. Good call on the Syd Mead Hot Wheels...never knew about those.

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer