The rising cost of toys.

Posted by Roger 
Oil has hit $122 a barrel:

[money.cnn.com]

Zinc prices are rising dramatically:

[www.cnn.com]

The basic materials used to make our plastic monsters and metal robots are getting more expensive by the day. Add to that a weakening dollar, rising foreign labor and transportation costs, and you can see it's going to be rougher and rougher for manufacturers and collectors alike.

Adjust your disposable income accordingly...
Anonymous User
CollectionDX just posted a poll on this subject, and I'm assuming thats what drove you to bring up this topic.

Things have been headed in this direction for a while. Rising prices of raw materials, inflation, and price gouging. Plastic models, toys, and figures have all been steadily going up in price for a while. Toys and models also are becoming more and more complex, and while I somewhat welcome this, it is also a large factor driving up the price of these items.

The dollar is still not doing great, but it has bounced back a tad against the yen, and is slowly climbing in our favor.

Necessities are becoming more and more expensive too, leaving less "disposable" income to dispose of. I was never a "big" spender to start with, and I'm not out of the game yet, but I'm definitely cutting back. (space is also becoming an issue of mine).
Sanjeev (Admin)
For many folks--not just those here--this hobby is routed in nostalgia. Times will eventually change...collecting Japanese robot and monster toys won't have the same "flair" it once had to many folks.

Let's face it, we talk a lot about SoC's...but we're not necessarily the key target demographic for their sales. There are a LOT of more casual "collectors" who're looking for nice display pieces for their homes. This demographic may not be as concerned about completion as we might be...and when this era of character toys is no longer "hot", things will probably return to normal--whatever that means.

Anyway, I feel like I'm rambling...but it somehow seems relevant. I think the "high-end collectibles" market is going to deflate sooner rather than later...

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave
I can't speak for diecast..but I was told once by some oil guys that a lot of plastics had been shifted over to manufacture from natural gases since they make a lot of the fundamentals for PVC out of natural gases and/or coal as well as petroleum.

here's a short summary of plastics from the American Chemistry Council
[www.americanchemistry.com]

I'm sure prices will be affected-but I dont't think things will get quite as bad for plastic toys...

I just don't think the price of some of these toys is increasing because of anything other than that the companies think that the industry can support a market for complex expensive robots (with presumably better profit margins per item). That's what Matt and the others have been reporting.

I wonder if robots will become another casualty of the rich-becoming-richer, poor-becoming-poorer syndrome. There always seems to be a disjunction between the people who can buy one 80 dollar SOC every few months and the guy who buys 80 SOCs in a month! or a chogokinozoku without breakin a financial sweat. If that's the case..then I doubt that the 'designer toys' phenom will ever truly go away. Why mass produce a bunch of cheap toys to make 80 dollars when you can make 600 dollars one one toy?

I think the interesting thing about collecting "vintage" toys is that they're already out there. NO NEW stuff to make. Consider it to be a fancy way of saying that we are recycling. So what happens then? Does the market for j-toys crash or returns to the levels of Japanese toy collecting in say, the early 1990s? Many may not remember when even a Banpresto plastic Combattler candy toy or a Bandai Ultrakaiju was considered QUITE exciting for the day...

hm..oh well..back to work. :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2008 01:08PM by ChrisM.
ChrisM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think the interesting thing about collecting
> "vintage" toys is that they're already out there.
> NO NEW stuff to make. Consider it to be a fancy
> way of saying that we are recycling. So what
> happens then? Does the market for j-toys crash or
> returns to the levels of Japanese toy collecting
> in say, the early 1990s? Many may not remember
> when even a Banpresto plastic Combattler candy toy
> or a Bandai Ultrakaiju was considered QUITE
> exciting for the day...
>

Now that is the kind of green initiative I can get behind....and I will admit I have been way more interested in hunting down old favorites than newer stuff lately.
I entered the rising cost of Marriage... and Children...
I wait until Santa Claus comes to my house in Decemeber...
Bump.
In these harsh times of economical decline, toys may prove a less rewarding investment than gold.

However, should things degenerate and become critical, you can always send them to me and I may just send you a cookie.

;)

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
the way the economy is gong, it's more like the shrinking size of my wallet.............
mcfitch (Admin)

the way the economy is gong, it's more like the shrinking size of my wallet.............

Stop investing in gongs, it's a dying market.
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
No matter what happens to the economy, people still need to eat bacon. Thus pork barrels are the way to go to safeguard and enhance your current earning potential. I have a limited number of exciting opportunities available for anyone who wants in on the ground floor of what will be the largest growth sector since the late 1990s tech boom. Learn to work from you home part-time and watch you income skyrocket. Send me a PM in a SASE with just $20* to cover actual return postage costs and I will provide you with everything you need to prosper in these otherwise hard times.

* Keep yer fuckin' toys. I don't want them. Send me the $20. Cash only!
Ooh! Trading in pork futures?

Count me in!

(Kudos to whoever gets the reference)

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
mcfitch (Admin)
Trading Places?
-Mason

Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
mcfitch (Admin)

cae
fuggin' awesome ...

---------------------------------
hassenpfeffer
I don't know about the price of new toys but the current financial kerfluffle is bound to be the cause of a few collectors giving up the ghost in an attempt to recoup their lost imaginary money.

I look forward to the coming purges.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Did anyone happen to notice that the penny ($.01USD) has finally dipped below the yen? I came to that horrific realization this morning when I had to make a Paypal payment to Kaiju-Taro in yen...and noticed that the bill in USD was more than the yen bill with the decimal moved a couple places over...

:(

How long was this scenario simply unthinkable?

Don't get me wrong...I'm actually kinda enjoying the collapse of US capitalism. A little anarchy's good for the soul! But it can sure put a damper in one's toy purchases!! :P

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave
Anonymous User
It actually dropped a little lower back in March, but still sad.
MattAlt (Admin)
>How long was this scenario simply unthinkable?

This isn't a first. It actually hit 88 yen to the dollar when I was living in Japan in 1994.

Makes you long for 1974, when it was 298 yen to the dollar! The dollar bought a whole lotta Machinder back then. :)

Table of historic exchange rates:
[research.stlouisfed.org]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Huh...I don't recall the March dip...and I was buying quite a bit from Y!J back then, too...weird.

Yeah, the penny has dipped below the yen before, naturally, but I wasn't even remotely as big a Japanese toy nerd back in '94! But, anyway, at this very moment, there's 100.67 yen to the buck. W00T!
cae
> I'm actually kinda enjoying the collapse of US capitalism.

That's because you still have a job.

In my shoes, the smug laughter tends to turn to dust in your throat.

hassenpfeffer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2008 03:27AM by cae.
Sanjeev (Admin)
True, true...

I don't attempt to hide the fact that I speak rather comfortably from the perch of my cooshy (for the moment) middle-class existence. Ah, class privilege!

Still, there is an objective reality that the US, as a whole (as a member of the "global community"), has had this coming, as it were, for quite some time now. There is virtually no corner on Earth left untouched by advanced (read: failing) capitalism, and for better or for worse, I must admit that I find some puerile (and sadistic) joy in seeing the seams come unglued.

Believe me, though--all vindictive feelings aside--at the end of the day, all the social work I do is to ensure that as few people as possible are harmed by the inevitable collapse. Yes, inevitable. And shit's gonna get a whole lot worse before it gets better...

--
Sanjeev

-Nekrodave
cae
> shit's gonna get a whole lot worse before it gets better...

No doubt. Enjoy the ride.

hassenpfeffer
A lot of good that social work is going to do in the Road Warrior future of February 2009, Sanjeev. Start sharpening that machete. ;p
cae
Wait ... I thought Obama wuz gonna save us all?

hassenpfeffer
More wrinkles:

[news.bbc.co.uk]

Yesterday I had a conversation with someone who just came back from China and was having problems getting tooling made for his toy. Apparently the aftermath of the safety scandal has caused a ripple effect, affecting not only the factories themselves, but also their suppliers. That coupled with the blackouts/brownouts from the Olympics has made things somewhat messy.
> Wait ... I thought Obama wuz gonna save us all?

Nope, we're screwed, but Obama will do a hell of a lot better job managing our societal collapse than the Most Famous Torture Victim in the US Currently.

Unless the Bradley Effect is in effect.
[double post...d'oh]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2008 10:56PM by gingaio.
cae
Could you say that one more time? I didn't get it the first two.

=)

hassenpfeffer
Beat you by a minute, chump!

:)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2008 01:39AM by gingaio.
mcfitch (Admin)
Gingaio
but Obama will do a hell of a lot better job managing our societal collapse than the Most Famous Torture Victim in the US Currently

John Rambo is running for office?
-Mason

Rambo would be the moose-shootin' running mate, vigilantly defending American airspace from the pesky Russians so that Red Dawn never happens again.
bump
Clearly last week's election was a mandate to lower the rising cost of toys.

Obandai - ARE YOU LISTENING?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2010 07:12PM by H-man.
Faster, Yen! Deflate! Deflate!

[www.reuters.com]
If we get back to $1=100 yen it will be sooooooo awesome. Then they just need to open a Daiso in Boston and we'll be good.

- Mike

Deep in the Hasbro Jungle
Sanjeev (Admin)
100 yen to the dollar would be fantastic.

Then we'd have to host a Far East Coast Chogokin Summit...*in* Japan!
Oh please... let this happen by the time that Fewture Gatchaman inverted paper airplane gets released!
Wow, I guess I hadn't been paying attention. In a quick Google search, the dollar was as low as 77 yen not that long ago. [www.exchangerates.org.uk]

The last time I went to Japan (which was admittedly over 10 years ago) it was about 130 yen to the dollar.

Thank you
2008 was 110 yen/$1.
2009 was 100.
2010 was 95.
Then major drops (77 as Jake indicated), back to 95 with in the last year, then down, now climbing again.

From real time data, the Yen to dollar exchange was almost 94 today. Hope it keeps going in our favor...

- Mike

Deep in the Hasbro Jungle
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer