My blog!

Posted by Vincent Z. 
Vincent Z,

Throughout all of your work, your coloring is usually pretty good (definitely evokes the 80's), but usually your proportions or perspective isn't that great. I think this particular mecha design (Nemesis) warrants praise. It has a really nice aesthetic, very reminescent of 80's mecha. Its also colored really well. I'm very partial to Nagano and although this mecha is clearly inspired by FSS, it has touches that are enough of a departure to make it impressive in its own right. If you could produce consistent art of this mecha from different angles and in dynamic positions with this level of quality I would be quite pleased.
Thanks guys. :)

cae-Unfortunately, I didn't save the base inked drawing. The I way I do it is I scan the drawing (which being bigger than my scanner, I have to do it in multiple parts and then stitch it together). Because space is valuable on my HD, I have to delete the original TIFF scanned drawing after I finished coloring/retooling my lineart. Sorry.

I plan on getting a new Mac soon. This one is getting too old now and I don't want to worry about HD space.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
If you've got USB, might I suggest an external HD? Ir solves the problem of transferring files from old to new machine as well...

More serious than thou
I do have an external HD as well.

cae
> Because space is valuable on my HD

Wow - you either have a teensy harddrive or a ton of shite packed on there.

May I suggest fetching yourself another external? I have three of the things (one for itunes, the other two for my files, mirroring each other) plus the two in my tower (one for programs, another for cache).

Storage space is cheap, these days.

---------------------------------
hassenpfeffer
Gcrush Wrote:
>
> VINCE! I WANT TO COMMISSION YOU TO MAKE AN
> ILLUSTRATION!
>
> I WILL PAYPAL YOU $5 FOR AN ANIME FAN-SERVICE
> ILLUSTRATION OF THE ENTIRE CAST OF "PIGS IN
> SPACE".
>
> If you take the time to color it, I'll send you an
> additional $5. Post the final drawing here and
> send me a PM with your Paypal email address so I
> can wire you the loot. This is a serious offer.
> Deal? Deal. Now get cracking! I want to see
> that slutty pigs knickers! (You all know the one
> I'm talking about.)

I think you need to commission this guy:
[takingrequests.blogspot.com]

josh fraser Wrote:
>
> What changed my thinking as a teenager, was when I
> realized the works of Davinci amd of Michealangelo
> (among many many others) were those for a paying
> customer...even if it was a church or a wealthy
> patron.

Ha ha! Do you think Vincent would do a sacra conversazione (is that what it's called? like the "School of Athens") of me with Syd Mead, Wayne Barlowe, and Junji Okubo??

josh fraser Wrote:
>
> So, to think you can push yourself a little and
> expect results is frankly nuts man. Your not going
> to be discovered, you make it happen with lots and
> lots of legwork. Period. The visual arts require
> you to put sleep on the back burner and be
> insanely pushy and proactive. First and foremost
> you have to sell yourself. No one is going to look
> for you.

Josh, your patience is endless, man.

On a tangent, this reminds me of something that may serve as a tangible metric for Vincent in terms of what he needs to do as merely the first step -
The other week, I overheard a couple of women in The Strand discussing how to become a popular artist on the internet. Apparently, the formula is, sign up for DeviantArt and post a new drawing EVERY 2-3 days. Keep up that 2.5 day average for a year, and your following will go through the roof, as long as the drawings have some merit. And that's just to get popular; to get people to look at you, and pay attention to you, and remember what you do.

Obviously attempting this via DeviantArt requires you to then break out of that sort of "fanart ghetto" that DA constitutes, but trying it on your own site, or on a different hosting/community site, will require much more effort in terms of finding the audience and bringing it to where you post. DA at least has tons of eyeballs waiting for you to post. But the point is, if you want to keep people's attention, you gotta be posting a finished drawing multiple times every week.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2009 02:05PM by asterphage.
Hmmn, I've been considering DA for some time. I'll probably sign up eventually. I don't have the time at this moment. Between me doing my online studies, my room getting painted and getting an new Mac soon, I've actually haven't had the time to do much drawing outside of my sketckbook. So it'll have to be when I get more freetime to draw on the computer again.

I know that even there's lots of bad artists on DA (especially anything done by Sonic the Hedgehog fans. Oh boy), doesn't mean that good ones can't be found there.

Again, I've been posting my stuff at Artbistro and they've been liking my stuff (even though there not anime fans).

[www.artbistro.com]

Try Conceptart.org instead.

there you can see better quality art, and ask people questions where they might have more professional level answers.

Deviant Art is ok, but to be honest, better to start higher on the food chain to learn something.
Forgot to mention that I'm a member their to but only looked through their job sections.

Couldn't hurt to be at DA as well. Maybe.

asterphage Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Obviously attempting this via DeviantArt requires
> you to then break out of that sort of "fanart
> ghetto" that DA constitutes, but trying it on your
> own site, or on a different hosting/community
> site, will require much more effort in terms of
> finding the audience and bringing it to where you
> post. DA at least has tons of eyeballs waiting for
> you to post. But the point is, if you want to keep
> people's attention, you gotta be posting a
> finished drawing multiple times every week.

Vincent: This is not bad advice. When my students ask me, "What is the trick to being a great artist," I look at them and say, "Create art...and lots of it!" The point being is that the more you draw the better you get at it...Just like playing a musical instrument it requires hours of practice. I always tell them that sitting around and talking about art is just like masturbation. It's fun but you don't actually create anything...two or three drawings a day is a good goal to shoot for...even if they are doodles on the paper tablecloth at your favorite Italian place...

The greatest artists I have ever known personally had very little time to sit around and wax poetic about the ins and outs of how they create. As a matter of fact, if I were ever in the position of art director for a design firm again I would wouldn't hire an artist that wanted to talk to me about their art instead of showing me a big honking portfolio....Oh, and the best artist I know would do ANYTHING for the right price...
josh fraser Wrote:
> Try Conceptart.org instead.
>
> there you can see better quality art, and ask
> people questions where they might have more
> professional level answers.

I think they would rip Vince apart over there. It seems like those guys are more interested in giving critique on ideas and style to artists who already have everything nailed down in terms of technique & realism.

-Paul Segal

MSW
Vince - That mecha looks really nice. You managed to work in some Super Sentai influces as well, tying it with Nagano. Good job!

These two images are about 15 years old (both are colored with markers, no CG). One is a steampunk workerbee space pod, the other is about as close to Nagano as I'm willing to get. I'm more interested in developing my own 'style'. As such I have a wide variety of influences and try to push myself into new areas...something organic, something very mechanical, old, new, very futuristic. Basicly mix it up, so I'm not repeating myself, by drawing the same style mecha over and over again.

I think this sort of approch could help you...try working in a different design style...Steampunk, fantasy, a mech made from stainedglass, another one made from cardboard. Impose some self limitations, those "I'm not gonna do X on this mecha" and just let your imagination run wild. When we have rules, we tend to be more creative.

Anyway, sorry the scans arn't that clean, was done when I had just a 133mhz Pentium and 16MB memory. The source images are buried with gobs of others in my attic :(
Attachments:
open | download - 10234778.jpg (30 KB)
open | download - 9640982.jpg (86.8 KB)
Those are pretty neat. Surprised how old they are.

[vzmk2.deviantart.com]

I have my own deviantart account now and I love it there.

People are actually nice and give me praises. No snobby remarks. Well one was but it was in Russian and I had to use Babelfish to translate but everything else has only been polite comments. There's other people there that draw the same type of stuff I do.

That's because deviantart is full of nothing but furries, fetishists, and female impersonators.
Vincent Z. Wrote:
>
> People are actually nice and give me praises. No snobby remarks.

The flip side of this is that you will never get any useful criticism on DA. It's just a big lovefest - which is fine if you have perspective and remember that all this praise won't help you improve.

VF5, you're way off base here. There are plenty of furries and fetishists on DA, but way more on their own art gallery hosting sites. Content restrictions on DA that were only recently eased up drove off the 'explicit content' crowd years ago.

-Paul Segal

Vince, what's your point? It's kinda like you're saying "these people treat me nice, you guys treat me like shit". Then, honestly, if you don't feel respected here, why be here? A few artists on here have given you a lot of good advice, and I don't recall too many of us ripping on your artwork...just at your insistence on wanting us to enjoy the things you enjoy...which most don't. If you don't like it here, don't be here. That simple.

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
On my pixiv account (think a Japanese version of Deviantart but cooler), I noticed that the most popular drawing I did was my half decade old drawing of Zoids Gojulas. So, I drew some more Zoids. Take a look.

Attachments:
open | download - Gojulas1.jpg (399.2 KB)
Nothing is cooler than Japan.

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Might as well drop the ball. Me and my friends have been doing an anime related podcast. It's VERY NSFW. I wasn't going to say anything about it on TBDX even though asterphage wanted me to. I know my opinions mean shit here but I'm going to post them anyway because I can.

Ep.1 Introduction. Why I exist on this planet.
[vzartanime.blogspot.com]

Ep.2 Why 99% Western Anime fans are assholes.

Ep.3 Don't listen to this one unless you're brave enough. It was AWFUL.

Ep.4 We talk about Eva 2.0: I Can(not) Stop Thinking About Mari

Ep.5 The best one so far IMO

Congrats on your podcast. I don't need to hear about your balls dropping, though. ;)

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Ep.6 I talk about the anime I watched in 2010.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer