Waiting...

Posted by mcfitch 
mcfitch (Admin)
It's September 11th and there are no threads asking about Mike/T-28? Finally America is back to normal.
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
mcfitch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's September 11th and there are no threads
> asking about Mike/T-28? Finally America is back
> to normal.
> -Mason

Mourning dead friends is gay1

Being snarky is teh roxorzzz!1!11
mcfitch (Admin)
Uh wasn't he found to be a lying douchebag and not someone that died in the 9/11 attacks after all?
-Mason

Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
I dunno. But I was away from the boards for a couple of years.

I do recall saying that he was cool with me via e-mails but others remembered him being a jerk on the board (which simply means he was ahead of his time, LOL).
mcfitch (Admin)
Yeah I seem to remember people contacting his family and apparently he was full of shit.
-Mason

For me, Sept. 11, 2007 will be the day we "lost" Corey AND GCrush.

Hard to believe they have left the forum...
Maybe that happened on another forum, Mason? I just did a search and found the thread from last year. Roger asked if he was legit since he didn't see his name on a victim list, but nobody followed up.

If more info was found later, I'd like to know. That would be pretty low.

If it was a dupe, then somebody was trying hard to screw with me, since I got e-mails from a guy claiming to be his friend for a while. And he never asked for anything or said anything crazy. It basically boiled down to, "No news. No body found. Please don't make a big deal since his mom is in denial about it." That might be why he wasn't on a list (if she didn't pursue it)....or it's a good cover to avoid people tracking down his mom and learning the truth.

Meh.

For better or worse, I completely forgot today was the day. I was reminded by someone else (not you, Mason.) ;-)

Jape
I don't know any more about Michael Chan/G28 than what I posted last year:

[toyboxdx.com]

Mason, where did you get the information about someone contacting his family? I'd like to hear more about that. If anyone else has more information, please share it.

Incidentally, I found this when searching through the board. I don't know what it means:

[toyboxdx.com]

I was really dreading yesterday's anniversary of the event for no other reason than it was a Tuesday, just like 9/11/2001. How dumb is that? Thankfully, it rained heavily all day. One of the things I'll always remember about that day and the days afterward is that the weather was beautiful, clear skies except for one continuous cloud on the horizon.

And Jape, one thing I notice is that a year later (or perhaps more), you still post the same old stuff about the negativity and snarkiness of this place. If you have a problem with it, why do you hang around here?
Camouflage. You need better camouflage, Roger. I'll knit you something. Something woodsy.

Are you an autumn, or a winter?
mcfitch (Admin)

Mason, where did you get the information about someone contacting his family?

Uhm...somewhere on these forums, or speaking in person to someone. Maybe Alen or Fraser? I don't remember the source but don't beat me up? It's not like I pulled magic finacnials out of thin air about a possible ailing Japanese toy company ;-)
-Mason

Roger Wrote:
> And Jape, one thing I notice is that a year later
> (or perhaps more), you still post the same old
> stuff about the negativity and snarkiness of this
> place. If you have a problem with it, why do you
> hang around here?

Because nothing is perfect, ya know? ;-)

Actually, the snarkiness (while still present) seems to have lost some of its bite. It was a lot more venomous and intentionally hurtful years ago, whereas now it does seem largely done for fun.

So the comment about Mike being ahead of his time would hold if the board was worse years ago (but still after 9-11), and could have no bearing at all the board of today. Eh?

Here's a question for you, Rog: You know beating up Vince won't change anything, so why keep doing it? ;-)

Jape

Edit: I forgot. Since I became fully disabled (a year ago), I now find myself with tons of free time. So it's not like I need to ration my attention. Anything that is a diversion is worthwhile. ^_^

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2007 02:58PM by japester.
japester Wrote:
> Because nothing is perfect, ya know? ;-)
>
> Actually, the snarkiness (while still present)
> seems to have lost some of its bite. It was a lot
> more venomous and intentionally hurtful years ago,
> whereas now it does seem largely done for fun.
>
> So the comment about Mike being ahead of his time
> would hold if the board was worse years ago (but
> still after 9-11), and could have no bearing at
> all the board of today. Eh?

I think that's your perception, and that your perception is based mostly on your interactions with Keith. I also believe that when he was being cruel to you, you expected the rest of us to step in and defend you, and when that didn't happen, you painted the rest of us with that same broad brush.

So I'd say your assessment isn't accurate, and I don't think the tone of this place in terms of "friendliness" has changed much at all in the past five years or so. This is all my subjective opinion, though, and I'd like to see others weigh in on it.

> Here's a question for you, Rog: You know beating
> up Vince won't change anything, so why keep doing
> it? ;-)

Haha. You know, I was going to try and defend myself by saying that I've eased up on Vince in the past couple of years, but then I re-read this thread from last June:

[toyboxdx.com]

Granted, I wasn't actually being all sweetness and light, but it's not like I told him to kill himself or anything. In the end, though, I did give him some honest (and fun) advice.

And one thing you might notice if you re-read Vince's Takara thread is that I actually addressed his points and have tried to engage him in a real dialogue about what he believes. He seems unwilling and/or unable to do this consistently as of yet, but I wouldn't have responded to him in the first place if I didn't want to have an actual conversation with him.

Judging from the other responses in the thread, obviously I'm not the only person who's noticed this pattern of behavior in Vince. Your statement that it "won't change anything" acknowledges that you see that in him, too. Maybe I have higher expectations of him than you or some others here do.

Tying it in with the larger issue of the tone of this place... If I can make a generalization about the BBS, there is one thing that I think most people here will not abide, and that is willful ignorance. I think most of the drama here in the past with people like Marvin, Pocketmego, Vince, etc. has followed a similar pattern. Someone says something and then doesn't want to challenge or even explore it. For the most part, we are curious, introspective people, and we don't just say or accept things others say without studying them.

Outright bigotry is a good way to get a one-way ticket to crash n' burn here, too. Anyone remember Seoul Patrol? ;p

Also, unless you present yourself where it doesn't seem like you're asking for praise or sympathy, nobody wants to hear about your problems and/or complaints. Saying that your collection and/or artwork isn't getting the level or type of attention you want, or saying that you're having financial/legal/medical/etc. problems and bitching about the price of toys, etc. Will usually net a negative response. People generally don't come here for a pity party, they come here to have a good time.

Comments?
Jape, just wanted to let you know that I had the reply window open since before 3 PM (2 PM according to the BBS), and did not see this edit at 2:58 (1:58 according to the BBS) until I after I posted my reply at 3:34 (2:34 according to the BBS):

japester Wrote:
> Edit: I forgot. Since I became fully disabled (a
> year ago), I now find myself with tons of free
> time. So it's not like I need to ration my
> attention. Anything that is a diversion is
> worthwhile. ^_^

So nothing in my post, including my comment about a "pity party," was addressing the comments in your edit, since I hadn't read it yet.

Now that that's clarified, on with the discussion.
No worries about the "medical" thing, Rog. I learned long ago not to rely on the general TBDX population for compassion, so I don't ask for it. It was simply relevant in this case to the "why hang out here?" question. ;-)

Also, I don't really buy the bizarre twist of logic that transformed you from Vince's tormenter into the one guy that truly believes Vince can better himself. But hey, whatever helps you sleep at night. :-)

I think a few years ago I would have jumped at the chance to talk about all this at length but.....I dunno.....I finally got the point and stopped caring about TBDX. But why should my opinion matter? Besides, the snarkiness is pretty much mentioned by everybody, so why single me out? Aren't we all just snapping each other with wet towels in the virtual locker room of the internet?

As for the Keith thing, I find that example funny. I was on TBDX for years, and I shouldn't make judgements about the rest of the community when they failed to do anything about cruelty being inflicted on one of their own? I don't see how that statement makes sense in any arena. Unless I wasn't part of the community--which is how I took it. And I stopped visiting as much. Plus, it let me know who the decent folks were, since they did try to help. That was a valuable lesson.

Ultimately (after a long while), I was able to laugh about the whole thing. Because Keiths' main beef (if I recall) was about not contributing and posting OT garbage. Which means all the folks who were silent ended up looking like asses because the OT board was later created and has flourished. :-)
japester Wrote:
> No worries about the "medical" thing, Rog. I
> learned long ago not to rely on the general TBDX
> population for compassion, so I don't ask for it.

Were you looking for compassion around here in the first place? If so, why? (The song, "Looking For Love In All The Wrong Places" is going through my head.)

> Also, I don't really buy the bizarre twist of
> logic that transformed you from Vince's tormenter
> into the one guy that truly believes Vince can
> better himself. But hey, whatever helps you sleep
> at night. :-)

I sleep just fine, and while I remain skeptical about Vince, once again it is you who is insinuating that he probably won't rise above his usual level of discourse. I have no control over that. What I do have control over is how _I_ interact with him. (And again, I'll confess I did kick him around a bit, but I was drunk, and I also apologized when I was drunk, and he accepted the apology, so those things cancel themselves out. ;p)

> But why should my opinion
> matter?

It matters to me because it seems that every week or so you post something where you reference it, and it's been getting on my nerves as of late. Because I do care about this place. So, instead of just ignoring you or insulting you, I'm discussing it with you like an equal. Sort of like what I'm trying with Vince.

> Besides, the snarkiness is pretty much
> mentioned by everybody, so why single me out?

It might be mentioned, but it usually isn't part of a lament. If you see other people doing this, please point them out.

> As for the Keith thing, I find that example funny.
> I was on TBDX for years, and I shouldn't make
> judgements about the rest of the community when
> they failed to do anything about cruelty being
> inflicted on one of their own? I don't see how
> that statement makes sense in any arena. Unless I
> wasn't part of the community--which is how I took
> it. And I stopped visiting as much. Plus, it let
> me know who the decent folks were, since they did
> try to help. That was a valuable lesson.

Okay, then it seems my analysis was spot-on. I think you were expecting something from this place that was never here. You say that the others here "failed to do anything." Why should they have done anything? You're a big boy, you could have fought back or just ignored him. Why is it everyone else's responsibility to protect you from psychological harm?

And ironically, if you read that quote the right way, you seem to be painting yourself as one of the "cool kids" who should have been protected. Seems kind of elitist.

> Ultimately (after a long while), I was able to
> laugh about the whole thing. Because Keiths' main
> beef (if I recall) was about not contributing and
> posting OT garbage. Which means all the folks who
> were silent ended up looking like asses because
> the OT board was later created and has flourished.
> :-)

And there you go again, painting the rest of us with the same broad brush. For the record, I always wanted an OT board, but in public I really didn't say anything about it. Does that make me an ass?
Roger Wrote:
> japester Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > But why should my opinion
> > matter?
>
> It matters to me because it seems that every week
> or so you post something where you reference [TBDX snarkiness],
> and it's been getting on my nerves as of late.

Roger, I want to sincerely thank you for articulating this thought.

best,
Captain Gingaio Snark Balls
Roger Wrote:
> Were you looking for compassion around here in the
> first place? If so, why? (The song, "Looking For
> Love In All The Wrong Places" is going through my
> head.)

What an odd question, Rog. With as many connections as you've made on this board, and all the people you've befriended (to the point of meeting them in person, repeatedly), how can you not view TBDX (and any successful website with a regular group of members) as a community? Maybe we make friends differently, Rog, but when I spend a few years with people due to a shared interest, we end up getting to know each other and sharing our lives a bit beyond the strict guidelines of whatever interest brought us together.

I've never met you, but if you died, I would care. I would hope someone would come on here and would let us know, because I would wonder about you. I don't consider you a good friend or anything, but I've interacted with you for how many years now? :-) Likewise, if tragedy befalls somebody, I don't see the harm in wishing them well and showing a little support.

> It matters to me because it seems that every week
> or so you post something where you reference it,
> and it's been getting on my nerves as of late.
> Because I do care about this place. So, instead of
> just ignoring you or insulting you, I'm discussing
> it with you like an equal. Sort of like what I'm
> trying with Vince.

I'm frankly surprised that anything I have to say could get on your nerves, Rog. I thought I was just rolling with the rest of the "all in good fun" hostility, but I guess that didn't come across right. I know I harped on this more way back when, but I honestly don't see it happening every week like you claim (I could be wrong). Perhaps its just been lodged in your craw for a while and need to come out? ;-)

> > Besides, the snarkiness is pretty much
> > mentioned by everybody, so why single me out?
>
> It might be mentioned, but it usually isn't part
> of a lament. If you see other people doing this,
> please point them out.

I just looked at my original statement, and I don't see it being a lamentation at all. Sounds like perhaps you are coloring it that way due to a perception (true or not) that you have of me...?

> > As for the Keith thing, I find that example
> funny.
> > I was on TBDX for years, and I shouldn't make
> > judgements about the rest of the community when
> > they failed to do anything about cruelty being
> > inflicted on one of their own? I don't see how
> > that statement makes sense in any arena. Unless
> I
> > wasn't part of the community--which is how I
> took
> > it. And I stopped visiting as much. Plus, it
> let
> > me know who the decent folks were, since they
> did
> > try to help. That was a valuable lesson.
>
> Okay, then it seems my analysis was spot-on. I
> think you were expecting something from this place
> that was never here. You say that the others here
> "failed to do anything." Why should they have done
> anything? You're a big boy, you could have fought
> back or just ignored him. Why is it everyone
> else's responsibility to protect you from
> psychological harm?

What was I expecting? Friendship from people I'd interacted with for years? Yes, how odd of me. heh

Oh, Roger. If you recall, I did fight back. And then I tried to ignore him (which led to him following me around nonstop). I didn't roll over and act like a fainting damsel awaiting rescue. But the tacit approval of his behavior towards me demonstrated that TBDX was not the place I thought it was. So I cooled it. I posted much less, and I no longer tried to change the place. So I was a "big boy" and did something about it.

And after all that, if I want to make a snarky comment or two--among HUNDREDS of snarky comments posted by others on TBDX--perhaps you should be a big boy and just led it slide, Rog.

> And ironically, if you read that quote the right
> way, you seem to be painting yourself as one of
> the "cool kids" who should have been protected.
> Seems kind of elitist.

Again, it looks like you're the one with the preconceptions coloring your views, Rog. I said I hung out here for years and thought TBDX considered me "one of their own". How does that imply elitism? At the time, we didn't have any social strata at all that I was aware of. If anything, I realized I wasn't one of the "cool kids" and clearly said so based on the reactions (or lack thereof) by the general board population.

> And there you go again, painting the rest of us
> with the same broad brush. For the record, I
> always wanted an OT board, but in public I really
> didn't say anything about it. Does that make me an
> ass?

Pretty much. Since Keith kept blasting me about OT posts, and you failed to say anything, that implies you were just afraid of him, which makes you a coward. Or perhaps you didn't want to say anything because you disliked me and didn't want to appear to side with me on anything (and failed to air your beef with me until years later), which makes you an ass.

So I guess you have your pick. ;-)

At the end of the day, I look at it this way, Rog. Every board has good and bad points to it. In the early days, I visited TBDX a lot, so I piled a lot of expectations on it. That was unrealistic of me. So now I visit lots of boards and have lots of friends. TBDX still has some great guys on it, so I like to come by and interact. Do I like everything everybody posts? No. Do I expect everybody to like everything I post? No. But I can't think of a single person still active on here who's balls I'd like to bust--you included. So if I'm interfering with your enjoyment of TBDX I apologize. Having been through that myself, I really don't wish it on anybody else.

gingaio,
Big kisses, bro. Feel free to strap on a pair of your "Snark Balls" any time and comment to me directly. ;-)

Jape
Wow. Was I in a bomb shelter? I don't remember ANY of this...

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
hillsy Wrote:
> Wow. Was I in a bomb shelter? I don't remember ANY
> of this...

Yeah, I think I referred to it as "2002". LOL!

No, seriously, I just went back and tried to get you an example, but this was the first thing I saw:
[toyboxdx.com]
I have to say, a lot of folks were actually really nice in that thread. A lot of names are gone now, but lots I still see haunting these halls.

Unfortunately, keith (and his cronies) kept at it, and the objections kind of died down. Then every post I made was usually followed with a jibe of "Happy Birthday" or "I thought it would be bigger", which referred to my abhorrent habit of sharing my birthday online and with my lack of "real" input to the board (when I commented that a toy I bought looked bigger in the photos). After a while, I left.

Then so did keith, and the BBS split into its current configuration. I tried to only post in the OT board when I first came back, since I honestly don't contribute much in the way of facts or research. I just like Japanese toys. Whena sense of appreciation is no longer enough for admission, I guess I'll move on for good.

I've actually been enjoying my time on TBDX quite a bit the last 6-12 months. I'm bummed that Roger has a problem with my posting. :-(

Jape
japester Wrote:
> I've actually been enjoying my time on TBDX quite
> a bit the last 6-12 months. I'm bummed that Roger
> has a problem with my posting. :-(

Don't be. I appreciate you clarifying things, though, thanks.
Cool.

In all honesty, I did have a bone to pick for a good while. But that was over long ago. If I comment nowadays, its essentially a joke.

Jape
Not being able to comment on these things specifically, I would like to say that I was an avid TBDX reader long before I ever bothered to post here. I guess somehow I missed the forums for the first few years (thus missing the best stuff), only looking at the news section, but I finally figured it out. I was surprised at first with the level of both general intellect apparent in the posts, and the degree to which people were likely to get "snarky" at the drop of a hat.

It does seem that today's TBDX snarkiness is mostly self-referential and usually in jest, but we do still get the odd person who just snaps off a uncharacteristically nasty comment, or we get a few threads here and there where one person or the other is seriously misinterpreting what another is writing.

Dunno, I guess overall - for my taste - it's still a hell of a lot better than many other toy sites I've been on for the level of civility in the postings altogether. I get much more of a "community" feel here than I get elsewhere.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Shut up, fujikuro! No one cares what you have to say!

;)

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave
I miss the days of a Sanjeev-free TBDX....... :-(

Jape
Sanjeev (Admin)
*sigh*...

...me too.

uh...
mcfitch (Admin)

but we do still get the odd person who just snaps off a uncharacteristically nasty comment

There is nothing uncharacteristic about my nastiness.
-Mason

Sanjeev Wrote:
>Shut up, fujikuro! No one cares what you have to say!
>
>;)
>
>--
>Sanjeev, "The King of The Jerks"
>
>Stab, stab, stab...with my chogo-stabbin' knife!

Tell us something we don't know already.

mcfitch Wrote:
> but we do still get the odd person who just snaps
> off a uncharacteristically nasty comment
>
> There is nothing uncharacteristic about my
> nastiness.
> -Mason

fujikuro Wrote:
>
> Tell us something we don't know already.

OTOH, check out this theory:

fujikuro Wrote:
>
> It does seem that today's TBDX snarkiness is
> mostly self-referential and usually in jest,

Fujikuro posits here that we DO, in fact, want to hear something we know already. Would you agree, fujikuro? :)

Best,
--Ken-A
Sure, but I thought you folks didn't want to hear what I had to say anyway?
mcfitch (Admin)

Sometimes words can hurt :-( *sniff*

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer