Pheyden/Exellis/Crayboth: new toy line you should see

Posted by starbasejapan33 
Oh, yeah, blog:

[onelldesign.blogspot.com]

I have one of those Crayboth figures, they're awesome.
cae
Okay, okay. Those pictures are the most compelling yet. *sigh*

I have GOT to get away from these toy forums.

---------------------------------
hassenpfeffer
cae Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Okay, okay. Those pictures are the most compelling
> yet. *sigh*
>
> I have GOT to get away from these toy forums.

Agreed on both counts, Corey. I gave in and ordered a clear green Pheyden. If it turns out to be lousy, I'm going to throw Sanjeev against a wall. :)

Best,
--Ken-A
Roger Wrote:
>
> [onelldesign.blogspot.com]
>
> I have one of those Crayboth figures, they're
> awesome.

Oh, I need a few of those, badly.

They could fight the Toynami superdeformed Legiosses

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Yah, they definitely have an Inbitish vibe to them. They're like crustacean oompa-loompas.

Review up:

[collectiondx.com]
Even though JoshB had a girly throw or two in there, I kept my promise. ;-)

You guys are too much. Thanks for the laugh.

I'll post my pic when the goods arrive.

Jape

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2007 06:19PM by japester.
Sanjeev (Admin)
:)

Roger, you got a Crayboth??? I envy you!
I'm going to throw you against a wall.

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave
I'm gonna throw myself against the wall if my order doesn't come soon. Lousy gotta-have-'em figures...*grumble*
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Roger, you got a Crayboth??? I envy you!
> I'm going to throw you against a wall.

Don't hate me, because I have two. ;p

I thought you saw the one I had at the Summit, flesh colored. The other one I just got is the translucent Mountain Dew variant. Think I'm gonna order me up some glowies, too.
Just got my Pheyden (midnite blue) and I'm in love. Everything about this figure is addictive toy crack, right down to the pack o' smokes size package.

First and foremost these are, as has been said before, made with a very solid and durable plastic. I'm not sure of the type, but it has the delicious reek of a vintage Star Wars figure (remember that scent?). I can't throw it at the wall because I'm at work, but I'm fairly certain it would withstand the blow.

Sculpt is very unique, as can be seen in the photos on the Onell website, and can be appreciated more in person. Same goes for the paint detail. It's a simple wash over most of him, but it looks great and gives him that dark 'Giger-esque' mysterious space-alien look. I especially like the white eyes which really stand out in contrast against the dark plastic and glowering forehead and gives the figure some life.

Articulation is adequate, although I was expecting balljoints on the hips & shoulders for no reason other than blind assumption. All joints are cut joints, and he has them on the neck, shoulders, hands, waist, hips, knees (not bending, just rotating) and feet. Usually I bitch if there isn't knee and elbow joints, but the lack doesn't really hurt this figure because he's sculpted in a slightly dynamic pose so the cut joints add enough life.
Best of all he can do something the new uber-articulated GI Joe figures can't do: SIT with his legs straight. I can't wait to get a vehicle for this little dude to pilot.

Package is very simple; a small box the size of a pack of cigarettes, entirely covered with 'alien' graphics in a matte finish, small window on the front to show the figure who rests in a plastic tray. Two inserts are included. One provides a background image for the figure and the other is a booklet of sorts with illustrations of Pheyden and another really fantastic looking stubby-chubby alien that I hope gets a figure.

I'm sold on this line. I love the creativity behind it and the fact that it's not connected to major licensed characters. It's like trendy art toy meets real action figure, and that's a very good combination.

Pics to come...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2007 12:59PM by eriku.
mcfitch (Admin)
Just incase the point wasn't clearly made...

[www.youtube.com]

-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
cae
the only reason he was willing to throw that chogokin down was that the UPS truck you see moments before is bringing in an MIB replacement from Japan.

fewkin' poseur

---------------------------------
hassenpfeffer
the only reason he was willing to throw that chogokin down was that it was actually a Trendmasters Voltron he got for (I assume) a dollar at a yard sale.

Not to ruin the illusion or anything, I still LOLed.

-Paul Segal

mcfitch (Admin)
It's actually a Lionbot, but I never said it was Golion. It was pissing me off this weekend and I decided the only way that it could be useful to this world was in the fashion you see above.
-Mason

Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
Sanjeev (Admin)
Y'all need to understand that for us, in Boston, it's NOT about beating a dead horse.

It's NOT about one-upping each other.

It's about proving a goddamn point in such an overkill way that it'll be genetically recorded forever as racial memory in people's progeny until the end of Man.

That's my office parking lot, by the way...I sure hope those Lionbot bits that we more or less left everywhere don't get traced back to me! ;)

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave
> Just incase the point wasn't clearly made...

Nice! Smashed KO salad for lunch.
That video is soooo fake! (The smashed toy is real, but a real dude would never wear that combination of sunglasses, muttonchops, and Sears casual wear---he's CGI!!!)

Has my request spawned a cottage industry? Will the guys at Onell recognize this and reward me with free, fun toys?! (Wait! I see they're already pimping this thread--and resulting videos--all over their blog. hmmmmmmm)

^_^

Impressive, Mason. You crazy bastard. Who's next? Somebody going to set their house aflame and post detailed vids? Someone? SOMEONE?!

Jape
mcfitch Wrote:
> Just incase the point wasn't clearly made...
>
> [www.youtube.com]
>
Dear lord, Mason, my heart nearly stopped when you smashed the Golion/Voltron/Spacebot/whatever-the-hell-it-is against the ground and it exploded into a million pieces.

It was like watching a snuff film, but 100 times worse because it was a lovingly made/bootlegged robot instead of a real person.

Then I Googled Onell Pheyden. WTF?
mcfitch (Admin)
I have to say it shattered far more spectacularly that I had anticipated. I figured the lions would come apart and that some of the plastic pieces would fly off. man, I was not prepared for that. On the plus side the sword seems to be made of some sturdy stuff.
-Mason

I wanna see video of you guys with the push broom, cleaning that shit up.

"There's no Bigfoot in The Awakening." -James Bickert
mcfitch Wrote:
> It's actually a Lionbot, but I never said it was
> Golion.

Yeah, I know you never said it was anything specific - but if my Trendmasters guess was correct, it wouldn't actually be "gokin" :p

mcfitch Wrote:
> I have to say it shattered far more spectacularly
> that I had anticipated. I figured the lions would
> come apart and that some of the plastic pieces
> would fly off. man, I was not prepared for that.
> On the plus side the sword seems to be made of
> some sturdy stuff.

You picking up the sword and immediately, nonchalantly snapping it in half was a well-timed second "I lol'ed" moment.

Sanjeev Wrote:
> That's my office parking lot, by the way...I sure
> hope those Lionbot bits that we more or less left
> everywhere don't get traced back to me! ;)

I hope someone, somewhere, finds it and posts about it on another forum.

-Paul Segal

Sanjeev (Admin)
Nekrodave, you're up. You need to burn your house down and film who wins: Onell's Glyos figures...or your Jumbos!

asterphage Wrote:
> I hope someone, somewhere, finds it and posts
> about it on another forum.

You and me both, man! ;)

--
Sanjeev

-Nekrodave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2007 07:23AM by Sanjeev.
Good interview with Matt Doughty here:

[toysrevil.blogspot.com]

Gobon looks coool.
got my set too, got to say they are as cool as they look in the pics, glad I got em, seems we all decided they are defintely not japanese or related in any way, but they are very cool.
mcfitch (Admin)
starbasejapan33,
Now try to destroy them on film! YOU CAN"T!!!
-Mason

To say the least, it has been a very dark week for my wife and I, and when I went to the mailbox and saw a package from Onell Design it didn't seem to cheer me up the way getting stuff in the mail usually does. Until, that is, I opened it...

Not only was the clear green guy in there, but so was a couple of those little bean guys...(skull and blue guy)....

Let me also make a couple of comments about my ordering experience. When I first placed my order I noticed on the confirmation that I had accidentally ordered the blue/grey one, when I meant to order the clear green one. Just one email later Matt fixed my mistake. In addition, while looking at the package on my desk I noticed that the shipping actually cost $4.60 instead of the $3.00 I was charged...not to mention that the toy was well protected with bubble wrap and the box was taped up nice and tight...

In short...great little toys, awesome customer service, and nice shipping make for a happy customer...
mcfitch (Admin)
NOW BREAK SOMETHING!
-MASON!

How about if I bust a move, Mason? Does that count.

*unh!*
Yeah!
Check-It!

Jape
mcfitch (Admin)
I think I just got served?
-Mason

Pics of my flesh and "Mountain Dew" Crayboths with Pheyden for scale:

Just the Crays:

Matt Doughty has been posting some really cool custom creations on the Onell Design blog. Powered exoskeletons, insectoid creatures, and things of that nature:

Price drops and new product announcements...

...and the magic word "GLOW."

(and the other magic word "SANJEEV" ;p)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2007 07:00PM by Roger.
Sanjeev (Admin)
b-b-bubba gump!?

Hehe...you know what I'm voting for! ;)

--
Sanjeev

-Nekrodave
So these lack elbows & knees I presume?
A Fistful of Crayboths:

Finally figured out how to do this with my camera:

You could put double stick tape on these dudes feet & stick 'em everywhere!

These would also be a good nemesis for Microman to fight!
Sanjeev (Admin)
*glormph*

Glowie Crayboth! MY MIND!!
Nice hand, where did you get it?
The Crayboth are coming! THE CRAYBOTH ARE HERE!!!

Glowie pics in the blog:

Available for purchase in the store:

[www.onelldesign.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
MAN, aren't they freakin' amazing!? I've always liked the Crayboth design...but only as "neat" little curiosities...little more than that. The thing about these finished products that blows me away is the color selection, paint apps, and the different types of PVC used (translucent and glow).

They're gorgeous!!

And, of course, the next wave of Pheyden and Exellis are hot--again, it's the color choices. I know the new Crayboth and this wave of Pheyden and Exellis are slightly softer material than the first wave so that they're still durable as hell, but now, interchanging the parts is much easier...this is gonna make for some ridiculous customizations.

Oh, and since I *know* y'all were wondering: the Solaris Exellis and Red Aura Crayboth--the ones that just so happen to resemble M.U.S.C.L.E. things!--glow insanely bright! I'm seriously impressed with these pieces. No one, to my knowledge, has been able to produce a solid red-glow toy before. All the tools to do it are available now...just no one's done the research. It's taken a lot of messing with formulas and dyes for Matt to get the proportions right.

I've seen 'em in person. Believe me when I tell ya this: they're BLAZIN'!! Bright, hellish red...that lasts for a while. They officially get the Glowologist's approval! ;)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer