Pheyden/Exellis/Crayboth: new toy line you should see

Posted by starbasejapan33 

This was an experiment... We all know from Dead Pre$ident's stuff that clear painted glyos looks awesome, but I wanted to leave this Henshin Exellis build I made unpainted, so I just saturated it with Monster Kolor gloss. Now it looks like glass.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Wow. That's beautiful. How is your experience working with Monster Kolor, in terms of smell/toxicity/ease of use?
It's pricey, but your results are stunning...
Thanks for sharing!
RainBot Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow. That's beautiful. How is your experience
> working with Monster Kolor, in terms of
> smell/toxicity/ease of use?
> It's pricey, but your results are stunning...
> Thanks for sharing!

It stinks, it's toxic, and it works like a dream ;)

In all seriousness, I spray in my college apartment bedroom with a cardboard hood and fan setup and just keep my mask on for a while... it's worth the hassle.

[prometheusrising.net]
Cool. I might have to get into this after I finish my current sculpting work. The allure of these paints is palpable, but like you I will have to construct a proper spray booth.
Have you tried layers of suspended metallic dust in the clear coat? A colleague of mine did that for some set painting he did, and it looks insanely beautiful - similar to Sanjeev's article on CDX a while back.
Is it true that the "misty" vinyl stuff turns clear with these apps?
Can't wait to see your Microbot!
The short answer is yes ;)

Hit up the MK forum to edumacate yourself. [monsterkolor.ning.com]

[prometheusrising.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2011 12:16PM by Prometheum5.

Blighted Ceekoar Scar Pheyden
More pics here:
[prometheusrising.wordpress.com]
For sale here:
[prsstore.wordpress.com]

Aquoid Merc featuring a test-shot metal head cast by Phil Reed before the Renegade Wave metal parts!
More pics here:
[prometheusrising.wordpress.com]
Available here:
[prsstore.wordpress.com]

Let me know what you guys think! There's backstory and a ton more photos for each figure in the links above.

[prometheusrising.net]
These are rad:

This guy Ni, of NiStuff has been doing Glyos heads and accessories and custom releases for a while now, but I guess Doughty has helped him create his own figures. They're all around Glyos height, cast in PVC similar to Glyos figs, and look pretty sharp. His site is here:
[www.nistuff.com]

And I guess the first real release of these in plastic will be this week. $15 for six figs around 3" in height is pretty damn good. Worth noting too is that Ni has really been doing his own thing and been fortunate to have had enough success with the resin and customs to jump into PVC on his own. I'll definitely be checking out the first release and looking forward to what he does next.

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
These look interesting...but I guess the standard production guys will be painted by himself! Kinda intense. Looking forward to seeing how the painted ones come out.

Here's a teaser shot of some painted by Ni, I think of the resins... seems to have a good eye for colors. Decent MK sprays with lots of pearls, and there's nothing wrong with that.

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, the teaser above definitely inspires confidence for the production figures. Hope the quality stays as high (though I almost can't imagine how it could given the complexity of the paint operations!).

Anyway, it's been a while since I've posted any real content in this thread. I've done a little recent catching up in the Glyos universe. First up, I grabbed a couple Glyans from the last Onell drop. Very Zentraedi-themed colors!

These figures come with a couple heads and a simple multi-piece gun. The sorta generic scifi head can be flipped around depending on what style you like, Metroid or Mospeada! ;) And then, there's another humanoid head that I think is Doughty's first take on such a human-looking face actually shot in injection PVC (well, besides Exellis, I suppose...but his face is larger in scale). I totally love it:

Very handsome, no? In fact, that's how Doughty refers to the Glyan figure overall: a very "handsome" form. Broad-shouldered, straight-legged, normal-sized head...not deformed like Pheyden, Exellis, and the other classic travelers. I like this style. Kinda gives me this Air Raiders or Starcom minifig vibe, y'knowmsayin?

Anyway, along with these dudes, I also grabbed some "axis joints". Holy fuck. Okay, we don't have actual ball joints for Glyos figures yet, but these things come DAMN close to being able to simulate them:

Oh, and lastly, I picked up one of the "Jetfire" Big Rigs...but I'm gonna make y'all click on the Designer Vinyl thread to see pics of it! :P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2011 09:47AM by Sanjeev.
Having a blast with the new NiStuff Anomalies. Did a little experiment with my first batch and cut them up to add magnetic articulation, which worked perfectly. Got a couple more of this little dude, Adaman, coming to make a support crew for a heavy mecha Glyos custom I just finished:

[prometheusrising.net]
One drop in, and Glyos 2012 is looking pretty good. Here's some goodies that arrived today:

The Gendrone color for this wave was metallic purple, and it is fierce. I grabbed one of everything and some joints, but some people bought a ton more and have made some spectacular Shockwave-esque heavy builds.

The Glyans have their own Warp Bikes now, using the new vinyl design that debuted as Callgrim's ride. For Glyos use, Matt switched out the skull-head front piece with a Rig arm to pretty convincing effect. Love that safety orange Glyan, too.

The big debut for the release was the Block, which consists of the two square center parts in the pic above. On their own they act like a vinyl equivalent to the Microman cases. They're jointed in the middle with a ring the same diameter as the waist on the Rig and Armodoc, and there are a couple of strategically placed circle details that can be cut out to add other parts. They were sold colored like the bike above, and in blank black for customization. Having grabbed one and some arm packs, I cannot wait to paint up this baby Rig powersuit build, and can't wait to see what people do with more of them!

[prometheusrising.net]

Here's my review of the Rig Runner bike... fun on its own, but I can't wait to see what people do with the new parts.

[www.collectiondx.com]

[prometheusrising.net]
The rest of the new additions to the vinyl line:
[www.collectiondx.com]

Read the review to see what I whipped up.

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Got the Wraith last night.

Holy shit.

As good as advertised.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2012 11:51AM by Sanjeev.
Attachments:
open | download - 2012-06-22_09-13-27_251.jpg (410.4 KB)
open | download - 2012-06-22_09-14-28_127.jpg (174.8 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer