Pheyden/Exellis/Crayboth: new toy line you should see

Posted by starbasejapan33 
Sanjeev (Admin)
I, personally, don't care that much about the joint system because I'm not that into building crazy shit. BUT it is pretty groovy that the option to build shit like this is there for folks who dig it:

I'm more interested in the Micronaut-esque scifi aspect. I tend to keep my figures more or less stock, but I do like making cool custom guns & shit (like the gun I made from a Callgrim backpack for the glow mini RxH Pheyden above) or powered up dudes with additional joints:

But my brain simply doesn't work on the right dimension to be able to come up with shit like this:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2010 11:37AM by Sanjeev.
eriku Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Every connection point is the same type of joint,
> so you can snap together pieces any which way.
> Most of the body parts are sculpted in such a way
> that they can easily pass for other things. Like
> for example you could use a bunch of leg parts and
> arm parts to make a gun or even a vehicle and it
> wouldn't necessarily look like it's made of a
> bunch of legs and arms.
>
> It's kinda like Lego, only not blocky. :3

Right. Guess I was reading more into what they were talking about with this. Action figs that can come apart and be put back together in different ways aren't exactly new, so I guess that part of it didn't seem like an innovative :joint system" to me. Overall, it's more the aesthetics it seems to me that are the key to the toys.

More serious than thou
Yeah, I can understand your interpretation.
However, if you take the design of the toys and factor in that they are independently produced, the term "innovation" becomes clearer. To produce enough product to interact with each other hasn't been done on this level before, I think. If it has been done before on this scale, then the article is another casualty of style over substance. When promoting products or services, companies right down to NPOs slaughter the English language, making communication meaningless. One would think a dictionary would help - but who needs facts when your primary motive is not communication but to sell a concept?
As for the Glyos stuff, the most innovation seems to come from the Gobon figure. Michelle's design is brilliant. The whole hidden head and interchangeability with the wheel parts and the Armodoc parts, mixed with the aesthetics is pure genius.
For me, the major draw is a perfect balance between the heart of the folks making it and the great designs. A cross between Micronauts and lego, with a very satisfying tactile experience.
What?

No one is talking about some of the new stuff they're coming out with? Like RED GitD Armodocs and Gobons...

and...and...

THE RIG?!!?

[onelldesign.blogspot.com]
We're waiting in line at the SDCC right now. My first stop is gonna be their booth. If I can upload photos later today I will.

The rig looks wonderful, and the red Glowie stuff is gonna rock, if it's the same as the other red glowie stuff they released so far. It's very bright.
Met with Matt and Jesse on Wednesday and Thursday, but it is SO crazy in the exhibit hall! Aiee!
They are two WONDERFUL people. I mean, SUPER friendly. I hope to stop by and see them today. I bought up a buncha their stuff, and the Rig is wonderful - it's a perspective thing, and takes on many different configurations just by turning it. You can also switch it with the other Glyos figures, which I can't wait to fiddle with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2010 05:06PM by RainBot.
Attachments:
open | download - glyoshaul.jpg (188 KB)
I WANT those!
What's the deal-e-o with that "Squadron" figure?
Did they have any hint of the re-do of the Outer Space Men?

I'm liking the look of that Rig thing. And more super glowie red O'Nell stuff is great. I still gotta get back on board with some of their latest stuff. Still don't have any Gobons, Armodocs, etc.

Rain, thanks for keeping some pics coming!
I WANTED to get some stuff from Onell. I was there today (Friday) and honestly, I was really disappointed. The booth was absolutely swamped. When I managed to get close enough to actually see what was for sale, I didn't see any Glyos stuff there and NOBODY that was working the booth even recognized the fact that I wanted to buy some stuff. Totally ignored. Really pissed me off because I know Matt and them are cool guys and I usually talk with them a bit, too, but I didn't see them there and the guys that were there I guess didn't want my business or something.
repairtechjon Wrote:
> Did they have any hint of the re-do of the Outer
> Space Men?

This was at the Four Horseman booth:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2010 11:55AM by Scopedog.
Attachments:
open | download - P7210115b.JPG (286.2 KB)
open | download - P7210116b.JPG (286.4 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Man...I'd love one of those glowie Metamorpho's. I wonder what's up with the "pending licensor approval" on the Mystron and Capt. Comet...

Rain, great haul. I envy your red-glow Armodoc! ;)

Is that "Squadon" dude the "Hazmat" figure from Dead Pre$idents??? I have yet to see that bad-boy!
Anonymous User
I can't remember where, but someone mentioned that those Wave 3 sculpts had not yet received final approval from Mel Birnkrant.

Sanjeev Wrote:
> Man...I'd love one of those glowie Metamorpho's. I
> wonder what's up with the "pending licensor
> approval" on the Mystron and Capt. Comet...
>
> Rain, great haul. I envy your red-glow Armodoc!
> ;)
>
> Is that "Squadon" dude the "Hazmat" figure from
> Dead Pre$idents??? I have yet to see that bad-boy!

And here's something else...

Sanjeev (Admin)
HA!

That's sick, Daniel! The glow Gobon Blaster disk on the back of a clear chest looks awesome!

And that head doesn't look half bad, either... ;)
RainBot Wrote:
> Met with Matt and Jesse on Wednesday and Thursday,
> but it is SO crazy in the exhibit hall! Aiee!
> They are two WONDERFUL people. I mean, SUPER
> friendly.

I could not agree more; nice folks.

> ... the Rig is
> wonderful - it's a perspective thing, and takes on
> many different configurations just by turning it.

It did look great -- I was too late to buy one. I did get the red-glowie Armodoc and Gobon, which glow amazingly bright.

Best,
--Ken-A
I think I will combine all my comic-con related posts into the comic con thread, but I shall comment on my experiences with the Onell booth here.
I made a bee-line to the Onell booth as soon as the Preview Night opened, and was greeted warmly by Matt. His passion and sheer kindness explodes from him like a joy fountain. He's a giant too. I'm 6'2 and he towers over me.
Anyways, we chatted for a bit, and I blurted out my love for his and Michelle's and Jesse's and, well, everybody on his team's talent and passion, and how inspiring I found it when I tried to explain the whole experience of collecting and playing with Glyos stuff.
Now, it's a con. There was no time to pull up a chair and chat. It was Preview Night, and already the place was difficult to move in. We were among the first in there (and I think I was the first to buy stuff). I bought a Rig, a Gobon, two brown and black figures (Darvos and Pheyden) a Gear's Edge Ver. 2 Pheyden, and my wife bought a Space man from Mat Walker of Dead Presidents fame. Matt threw in a handful of extra Gobons (he is SUCH a giving guy). We said our temporary farewells and we moved on to explore. At a fair pace, it took me four hours to cover 3/4 of the floor. And I missed a tonne of stuff.
On Thursday we came back, and I ran into Jesse at the Starbucks in the Mariott and we found out we were staying in the same buidling. I told Vangie who Jesse was, and he invited us to meet them for dinner. What a genuinely nice fella. I coulda hugged him.
Later, at the booth, I gave Matt the copy of the Major Matt Mason Collector Catalog I had he dove right in, and tried to give me more Gobons. I refused, of course, because it was a gift, and bought my second Armodoc and a bunch of Callgrim figures (including a few I missed on the original drop). I met Megan and Marcus, two great people, and chatted with a bunch of the fabricators from China. It's like a family.
I asked Jesse who the voice of Callgrim was, and was told it was a trade secret.
Aaaagh! I have to cut this short. Getting called to the plane. I shall continue this with pics later tonight, if I'm conscious. It's a four hour flight back to Toronto, so it shouldn't be too bad, but our wake up this morning was at 4 AM.
Aiee!
Sanjeev (Admin)
RainBot Wrote:
> I asked Jesse who the voice of Callgrim was, and
> was told it was a trade secret.

Awesome! I'm still wondering who that is!!
Jesse said he wanted to do the voice, but he felt no one would take his "Bastin" accent seriously. :)
Sorry folks... too flopped to post stuff from the con. Will do tomorrow night when I gain consciousness...
Sanjeev (Admin)
If you ever get a chance to meet Jesse again in person, ask him to say "potato". Fucking classic.

He's like Gimli...just without the axe...and a wholly different accent.
Thanks for the Space Men pix Scope.
Kicking myself for not picking up some of the original Colorforms a few years ago. They can be silly expensive these days.

The tantalizing annoucement of August release goodies from O'Nell, and the MA Summit is in August, hmmmm...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2010 08:36PM by repairtechjon.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Heh...Jon, incidentally, it's "Onell", not "O'Nell". We always bust their balls all the time about how everyone tries to make 'em Irish! :P
OK! 10-4 Mr. McGupta!

Whoops, I should know better. =0)

I WANT GLOWIE RED STUFFS!
It's still McFitch, though, right?

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Har!
Wow. Who woulda thought mass consumerism would be so tiring?
The San Diego Comic con, in one word, was "overwhelming". So much stuff. All thrown at yer face at once.
Preview night was nuts. I knew it was gonna be crazy, so even before we landed I communicated my plan to my wife. We'd find the Onell booth talk to Matt and Jesse (and anyone else who was there), buy up as much wonderful Glyos stuff as I could, and proceed to explore from there. I repeated this mantra to my awesome wife (who, by the way, organized this whole trip as my birthday present last year) over and over, and it became a running gag. When we first went in, on Preview night, after waiting hours in line, we made a bee-line to the Onell booth.I was determined. I was focussed. But there were SO many pretty shiny objects in glass cases - is that a booth specifically for Japanese Bandai stuff? The Jumbo Machinder Neo confirms this, and I go apeshit. You see, being from Canada, we see this kinda thing, but on a much smaller scale. Toronto, where I live, is the largest Chinese community outside of China, and we often get stuff directly from the toy factories. Toys2, my favourite store, routinely has new stuff at the same time, or soon after HLJ. But to see this much of it in one place is nutty. And then there's a table full of Doctor Who figures. And a massive Hasbro booth... and is that a nine-foot tall Boba Fett over yonder nerds?
"Sweetie! There's the Onell table!"
And then I am snapped back into reality and realize that no man is immune to the effects of the Lorelei. As we got to the table, I was again overwhelmed by the colours. Pinks, purples and sparkly alien shapes assault my senses. Above these wonders of vinyl and PVC towers this human sasquatch of a man in a baseball hat and from various web photos I recognize him to be Matthew Daughty. I introduce myself and my wife and he immediately knows who I am, and we have this flurried discussion about inspiration and creativity and it's just plain great. He shows me the new stuff, and I grab it all. But I don't want to be greedy, so I leave the rest of the Rigs for other people. If you got a rig, you owe me, 'cuz I almost bought them all. As it was, Matt kept throwing Gobons into my bag.
But Matt, is a guy all about community, and he introduces me to everyone in his booth - the entire Crossover Crew. A fellow by the name of Matt Walker zips in and unloads a pie of spacemen figures that my wife just goes nuts over. She is not into vinyl. Well, unless you count 70s disco albums. But she loves the design of the HasmaT version, while I seriously contemplate (but eventually leave) the Microman version. More about these later. What an insanely talented bunch of people crowded into one booth. Ayako, Mori and Goto are there, and Matt introduces them as his mentors. What amazingly talented people. There work speaks for itself. It's like stumbling upon a much kinder version of Mount Olympus, except for a shorter bearded (and able-bodied) Hephaestus-like fellow, who is suspiciously absent.
"Where's Jesse?" I ask.
"He's in the hotel room, customizing." I am unsurprised.
I show Matt my UFO Commander 7 Brain III (pictured below) and I explain the process I am using to remove paint and reapply, and the techniques we use to paint Glyos figures.
But the booth now is filling up, and we part ways with me promising a return with a cool Major Matt Mason Collector catalog he HAS to see, and a claim that I will be buying as much Callgrim stuff as I can.
So with a buncha Glyos stuff in my bag, I now have an excellent excuse to return tomorrow to meet Jesse, heap praise upon him, buy a bunch of Callgrim stuff and give Matt the catalog.
We left the booth and jumped into the crowd, my senses assaulted by the insanity of seeing too many cool things at once. My plan of going row by row was sensible, but ultimately abandoned when I spotted something way too cool to ignore. But even with all the wonderous things we saw, meeting Matt and Jesse were a highlight for me. Two wonderful, giving, genuinely nice guys, and their team of Crossover folk were just neat to meet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2010 08:44PM by RainBot.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_1639.jpg (60.1 KB)
open | download - IMG_1827JPG.jpg (58.3 KB)
open | download - IMG_1828JPG.jpg (66.6 KB)
open | download - IMG_1829.jpg (65.6 KB)
Here are some more pics of the Glyos haul...

The Clear glowing Armodoc is just an earlier release with bits of glowing red Crayboth and a GITD green buildman.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2010 09:42PM by RainBot.
Attachments:
open | download - DSC_0039JPG.jpg (27.7 KB)
open | download - IMG_1836.JPG.jpg (93.5 KB)
open | download - IMG_1834.jpg (243.3 KB)
open | download - DSC_0038JPG.jpg (22.6 KB)
Dammit, those pics make me even more annoyed that whoever was working the booth while I was there couldn't be bothered to even acknowledge that I was standing right in front of them and wanted to spend money. God, that pissed me off so much. I could have had a Rig, but noooo.
What happened exactly?
What did you do to be noticed?
I understand your frustration, but considering the chaos that was around the booth, assertiveness (in a polite and jovial manner) is fundamental.
Did you pick anything up? Most shop attendants pay attention to that - especially if you move away from the table. ;)
It's too bad you had a negative experience, and I sympathize. Since you only have influence over your own future actions, use this as an opportunity to examine your strategies and see if there can be any room for improvement on your part.
That being said, my wife and I were kinda freaked out by the high quality of customer service in San Diego. It's almost aggressively nice. When you go shopping up here in Toronto, you get a greeting, but that's about it. They leave you alone. We were treated like royalty wherever we went down there (well, except by the upset folk with the "God Hates Gays" signs who gathered outside the con).
When I got there, there was a group of about ten or so guys swarming over the table and most of the staff were talking with them. I managed to get in up to the table, but I didn't see any Glyos stuff. There was a guy I didn't recognize on the side of the table where I got up to and I tried to call out to him to get his attention. He kind of glanced up at me and then went back to staring off into space. I didn't pick anything up since where I was standing there were only a couple of what looked like Custom Corps figures laying around. All of the actual product was on the other side of the table that being swarmed. I know this isn't the norm for them since I've spoken with Matt before and he's a really great guy.
The Onell table was certainly chaotic this year. The Global Figure Symposium brought a ton of different audiences to the booth. As noted, there were times when no Glyos items were on the table at all. In opposition to the last two years, I wound up ducking out of the booth for a lot of the con because it was so crowded. There was easily a dozen other people working the non-Onell part of the booth this year.
If you get to the booth and Matt is not there, you have to make sure you get someone's attention who is actually with Onell - Marcus, Megan, Jesse, or myself. There was no day where Onell didn't sell stuff, but there were days where the timeframes were limited. If the Global Figure Symposium happens again, hopefully there will be a schedule of the times when the guest artists will be there so this kind of situation can be avoided.

John K.

Marasai Wrote:
> When I got there, there was a group of about ten
> or so guys swarming over the table and most of the
> staff were talking with them. I managed to get in
> up to the table, but I didn't see any Glyos stuff.
> There was a guy I didn't recognize on the side of
> the table where I got up to and I tried to call
> out to him to get his attention. He kind of
> glanced up at me and then went back to staring off
> into space. I didn't pick anything up since where
> I was standing there were only a couple of what
> looked like Custom Corps figures laying around.
> All of the actual product was on the other side of
> the table that being swarmed. I know this isn't
> the norm for them since I've spoken with Matt
> before and he's a really great guy.
Oops...missed the boat on this week's most recent drop.

Rigs. Black Gobons. White Armodocs and cool red translucent Gobons!
I can't come close to Rain's pics above, but here's a quick snap of some new stuff out at NYCC.
The OuterSpace Men set of 4 was cool to grab. Great figs for a great price. Onell joints and sizing, and header card art similar to the old Colorforms. 2 had to be gotten at AFX, and 2 from ToyTokyo.

New Tron homage Callgrim with glowie details, and the clear are rockin'
Some beautiful paint work by Matt Walker on the Gobon.
A little clear Babybiter from Paul Kaiju
Finally the gray lump is the pack of new Onell joints with a Phanost head that the boys had just gotten in.

It was great to see the Onell gang again, and the extended family, Matt Walker, Paul Kaiju, Godbeast, and a bunch more floating in and out. Refreshingly felt like a snob-free zone. Everyone was cool, and down for some toy chat. Some great works on the table, wish I could've grabbed more!

I'm not hatin' on you in particular Jon, but I don't understand how everyone got a sampler pack of the new joints besides me... I was there first thing on Saturday, and Matt showed me a set and made it sound like there weren't any available yet. I've seen like, ten different people, some with multiple sets.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Ben, sorry I missed you (super easy to do at the con!) but I saw the new E.Killer on the Onell table, very nice.

As to the new joints & head pac, I got mine later in the afternoon, and could only assume the decision to release some at the show must have been made later in the day...when drinks and toy lovin' was affecting everybody's brains?? I wouldn't worry, as those new pieces are sure to be out for all.

Oh, and the only RIG left, was cool, but I wan't crazy about the color, so, next wave I guess. Anyone get one of the new ones?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2010 09:17PM by repairtechjon.
The majority of the joints weren't available until Sunday. I know because I packed the last hundred or so of them. It is a bitch assembling bag after bag of them. I didn't have any in my possession until Sunday - and I worked the booth.

This brings up a good point - if there is something you know is supposed to be available and you don't see it on the table, you gotta ask Matt about it when you see him. Something like the Black Rig might have only appeared once on the table. The other artists had the table for most of the weekend.

John K.
Painted this guy up as a gift for Phil before I saw him tonight... ran through my old standby colors as a refresher before some more Glyos customs :wink:

More pics: [prometheusrising.wordpress.com]

I whipped this guy up in an evening... I've been rather productive lately as a way to distract myself from a really miserable term of schoolwork ;)

[prometheusrising.net]
The latest Gobon wave inspired me to try building my own... this is going to be awesome to paint.

[prometheusrising.net]
I haven't graduated to making my own Glyos compatible parts (yet!), but I have been working on a custom release that is ready to show:

Ceekoar is one of the fringe worlds of the Glyos universe, known for its harsh gaseous environment. It is constantly under siege because deep under its cloudy exterior it was the site of many ferocious Old War battles, resulting in the inhospitable environment today. The survivors of Ceekoar were changed by the new environment and now dedicate themselves to keeping the Old War tech decaying on Ceekoar out of anyone’s hands.

The Ceekoar are a little project I have been working on since the latest drop with its build-centric releases and Axis Joints. I am going to be posting full shots and info for one figure a day for the next two weeks, after which I will post the whole squad pics and release details. I can tell you that the Ceekoar will be a five figure release, and each figure is painted with Monster Kolor.

Keep your eyes peeled on Prometheus Rising Studios for the pics as they are posted:
[prometheusrising.wordpress.com]

Forgot to post the above yesterday when it went up, so you also get today's figure spread!

Commander Caustia pics are up! This guy was my testbed figure for the Ceekoar scheme and features a metal head ;)
[prometheusrising.wordpress.com]

Commander Caustia is a veteran of many wars and has lead numerous detachments out into the Glyos-verse to battle threats to Ceekoar. Armed with the latest in Axis-armor technology, Caustia has been fighting for his homeworld for as long as anyone can remember, so long even that no member of the army remembers when Caustia was transformed into a Phanost!

Caustia wears a custom set of MF-pattern lightweight Axis Traveller armor, allowing him to outmaneuver his opponents before delivering a powerful blast from his Phase Blaster.

[prometheusrising.net]
I have seriously got to try Monster Kolor paints soon... the toxicity scares me though...
In the meantime, my dyeing has been more successful. Finally found a non toxic method to customize colours... and it looks awesome! Well, I think so anyway.
And no, Sanjeev, the "pilot" of your red Armodoc isn't in these photos... ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2011 12:43AM by RainBot.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_0043.jpg (50.8 KB)
open | download - IMG_0044.jpg (55.6 KB)
open | download - IMG_0046.jpg (65.8 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Curiouser and curiouser...
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Curiouser and curiouser...

and curiouser still...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2011 04:38PM by RainBot.
Attachments:
open | download - BN Type Solaris Armodoc Pilot.jpg (227.9 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer