Gojira DVD is out! Anyone picked up a copy?

Posted by mpchi 
Sanjeev (Admin)
Oh gods...Gamera: Super Monster??? I actually haven't seen that one before (for good reason! :P )...
Gamera is FULL OF MEAT!

So yeah, the Shout! DVD releases of the Gamera movies have been fantastic. Watching them again in their full widescreen, Japanese language glory has made me conclude that in many ways, the Gamera series were much more entertaining than the Godzilla films of that era...as goofy and kid friendly as they were. I mean, the Kaiju battles are consistently more dynamic, imaginative than the monster on monster slugfests that you see in the Godzilla films.

Anyhoo... looks like Shout! will now be releasing all of the MSTK3000 Gamera episodes in one box set:

[www.fangoria.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2011 02:45PM by H-man.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Thanks for the update, Harvey...need to go out and get these now!
I preordered the MST3K Gamera set of course. Super awesome.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Wut..?

Godzilla movies on TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES tonite!
Looks like a new DVD version of DAM is coming out later this month on BLU RAY(with Japanese audio this time along with original API english dub and some extras!)

.... but more importantly, later November will finally give us a proper DVD of Gozilla vs. Megalon!!!

[www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2011 03:36PM by H-man.
Sanjeev (Admin)
H-man Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> .... but more importantly, later November will
> finally give us a proper DVD of Gozilla vs.
> Megalon!!!

I'll be damned...

About fucking time!
Soooo. Gojira via Criterion! [www.criterion.com]

-Ginrai
Ginrai Wrote:
> Soooo. Gojira via Criterion!
> [www.criterion.com]

I like everything about Criterion releases, and seeing as the wife is a Godzilla nut then this is a a no brainer. Thanks for the heads up...
Sanjeev (Admin)
This is cool...but I'm just not sure how superior it will be to the Sony/Classics Media one. I mean, are we doomed to buy a new "ultimate" Gojira every few years???
Well at least if you're looking to upgrade to Blu Ray, the Criterion version would clearly be the one to get, given how shoddy the Sony/Classics Media Blu Ray version turned out.

Some of the bonuses seem cool... I'd love to read the essay by J. Hoberman.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Haha...didn't Sony invent the fucking Blu-ray??? Oh well.

I guess the quest for the "ultimate" continues... :P
My dilemma is when "Godzilla vs Megalon" comes out... should I go with DVD or the more pricier Blu Ray. Will JET JAGUAR look that much better in Hi Def?!?
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well...probably not THAT much better...but I thought the point of "hi def" was that the human eye can't really tell the difference beyond that level of resolution. So, hopefully, after Blu-ray, there couldn't possibly be anything "better"!
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Well...probably not THAT much better...but I
> thought the point of "hi def" was that the human
> eye can't really tell the difference beyond that
> level of resolution. So, hopefully, after Blu-ray,
> there couldn't possibly be anything "better"!

There are already higher definition standards in the pipe, like 2k and 4k. If I understand it correctly, Blu-ray will only go up to 1080 for 24 frames per second, and only 720 for 60fps.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
H-man Wrote:
>
> Some of the bonuses seem cool... I'd love to read
> the essay by J. Hoberman.

Duuude, new interviews with the suit actor, the effects guys and the composer. This seems like a typical ultra-deluxe Criterion treatment, and I'm sure the features will all be pure gold.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Sanjeev (Admin)
Oh, I'm sure the extras will be the shit. I'm just annoyed by having to re-buy my favorite movies every five years or so.

As for how high is "hi", there really HAS got to be some sort of upper limit to what the human eye can distinguish...and I feel that threshold can't be far from today's "hi-def" standards...
See, I was lamenting having to go out and re-buy my favorites once I got the blu-ray player, BUT....all my normal DVDs look SO much better just played on blu-ray. I'm not going to bother.

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
I know, right?! When I got my PS3 I was absolutely stunned by how well DVDs upscaled through the HD output. I hear most blu-ray players actually have hardware upscaling, a chip in there designed specifically for converting SD to HD video.

On the other hand, some movies I've watched on blu-ray just look so incredible that upscaled DVDs don't compare - and if you like to slo-mo, freeze-frame, and frame step through a scene, the level of control that blu-ray allows (particularly with the intuitive PS3 controls) is really nice.

-Paul Segal

I don't have a lot of experience with HD, but I can tell you that the framerate and refreshrate stuff drives me nuts. The human eye only processes at around 30fps, so 60fps TVs look weird at first, but even after watching a couple of things at 60fps it still bugs me. When I went to my friend's apartment recently, they have a big crazy 120hz TV, and that almost made me barf.

[prometheusrising.net]
That's really interesting. I wonder what the biological reasons are that some people are sensitive to framerate and others see it smoothly? I imagine there's some variation in people's perceptions that accounts for it, much like how some people are more or less sensitive to the focus/convergence problem in 3d imaging.

-Paul Segal

asterphage Wrote:
> That's really interesting. I wonder what the
> biological reasons are that some people are
> sensitive to framerate and others see it smoothly?
> I imagine there's some variation in people's
> perceptions that accounts for it, much like how
> some people are more or less sensitive to the
> focus/convergence problem in 3d imaging.

Totally. The human eye is a pretty incredible development, but so much of the interface with the brain 'just kinda works'. We get the jist of what happens, but we don't know enough about the differences in perception between people. It's funny, because I don't get motion sickness or have any trouble reading in a car or anything like that. Higher than ~30-40fps on TV or video games just looks totally bizarre to me, though, and I don't seem to be able to get used to it and stop noticing it as different like most people do. We were watching the end of Dark Knight on the 120hz TV, a movie I've watched numerous times in SD on my computer... I'd never seen it in HD, so that was incredible to see all the detail, but the super high framerate took a lot of the grittiness and feel out of the cinematography for me, and it really didn't jive.

[prometheusrising.net]
This kind of snuck in under the radar....

X From Outer Space is available in this CRITERION set:

[www.amazon.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Ah, Guilala, the unloved! Wow...I don't know if I can handle an officially licensed release of The X... :P
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well, I'll be damned. Talk about sneaking in under the radar, I just randomly spotted a mention of Godzilla versus Biollante having just come out on US DVD and BR from Echo Bridge Home Entertainment (Miramax???).

That's pretty awesome news. So does that leave just Godzilla 1984 as the sole Godzilla movie not available commercially in the US? Oh wait...Godzilla vs. Orga in its uncut Japanese form still isn't available, right? I'll have to check when I get home tonight...
When you say Godzilla vs. Orga do you mean Godzilla Millennium aka Godzilla 2000 in the US? Yeah, that's ONLY the US revised version, dub-only so far. Did we ever get Megalon? I think Godzilla vs. Gigan is out of print.

-Ginrai
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yup...G vs. Orga is what got chopped down into "Godzilla 2000" (though, to be fair, the dub in Godzilla 2000 is pretty hilarious!).

We got Megalon recently...finally.

And you're right--I hadn't noticed before, but some Sony/Classics releases like Gigan seem to be out-of-print. :(
Geez... would you look at the secondary market prices for "Gigan" (and to a lessor extent, :Hedorah", "Son of Godzilla" and "Sea Monster"....)! I mean, it's not like the case of TokyoShock's DAM which got pulled off the shelves as soon as the title was released, or a "blink and you missed it" release of Dairugger Vol 3 (dammit... still kicking myself over that one). These Sony "G" titles have been sitting on store shelves for cheap for years and years and suddenly, now that they're OOP, it's OMG, I have to get these at inflated prices?

Dammit, I did miss out on "Gigan" though. Maybe my local Fry's still has a dusty copy of it....
No I mean in Japan the movie is called Gojira Millennium, not Gojira vs. Ogra. And man I also only have the first two volumes of Dairugger. What a shit that was.

-Ginrai
mcfitch (Admin)
Last time I looked G vs Gigan was on Netflix streaming.
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
Sanjeev (Admin)
Huh...I hadn't realized Godzilla vs Orga was *actually* entitled "Godzilla 2000: Millennium" in Japan. Kinda redundant, huh? :P

Anyway, yeah, I confirmed last night that only uncut Orga and Godzilla 1984 are left...unless you count Gigan and other Sony releases that are now technically OOP.

Oh, when I went through my disks, I noticed that my whole heisei run from G vs. King Ghidorah (1991) through G vs. Destroyah (1995) are all bootlegs! They're in Japanese, crystal clear and widescreen, and the English subs (which have some spelling/grammar errors every now and then) appear in yellow font. I'm guessing that the commercialized versions of these movies are NOT available in Japanese with English subs?

By the way, what was the problem with Dairugger?? I'm pretty sure I have the whole series (haven't gotten around to watching it yet)...but I don't remember there being an issue with the final volume...
There wasn't a particular issue with the third volume of Dairugger per se.... I think it just had a relatively short production run. If you didn't pick up a copy relatively soon after it was released, you were pretty much out of luck? The prices for that one on eBay and Amazon from what I've seen are just insane...no shortage of Golion DVD volume 1-3 though... they still seem relatively easy to find.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Wow. Well, I just double-checked, and I have the third set...still factory wrapped, too. Maybe I should just flip it on eBay! :P
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer