[BATTLESTAR GALACTICA] The series.

Posted by Roger 
Seems that Lee's Viper Mark VII from Maelstrom is a little different than the others.

Original:



Lee's:



Maybe it's one of the Vipers that Pegasus' factory cranked out before it went kerblooey.

Incidentally, did anyone get a notice from Big Bad Toy Store recently? Some fresh titanium winged horsies just showed up at the warehouse.
Roger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Seems that Lee's Viper Mark VII from Maelstrom is
> a little different than the others.
>
> Maybe it's one of the Vipers that Pegasus' factory
> cranked out before it went kerblooey.

Neat! Thanks for the comparison; I'd forgotten about the Viper factor. I know it's the fanboy in me, but I really prefer the Pegasus' design in every way to the Galactica's. If they were determined to blow up one of the Battlestars in "Exodus," I wish they'd have found a way to move Adama's flag over to the Pegasus and have it be the survivor. Now that would've defied our expectations about the Pegasus' ultimate fate.

> Incidentally, did anyone get a notice from Big Bad
> Toy Store recently? Some fresh titanium winged
> horsies just showed up at the warehouse.

Yup, got that email yesterday. Can't hardly wait.

Best,
--Ken-A
Ken-A Wrote:
> > Incidentally, did anyone get a notice from Big
> Bad
> > Toy Store recently? Some fresh titanium winged
> > horsies just showed up at the warehouse.
>
> Yup, got that email yesterday. Can't hardly
> wait.

That's weird. I pre-ordered the classic Raider and the Pegasus, but only my Raider has shown up. Huh.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Motherfrakker! I've honestly had no interest in the BSG Titanium toys before, but just for the shit of it, I checked BBTS to see what these were all about...of course, the Galactica and Pegasus were sold out. Again, just for the shit of it, I checked eBay for their "aftermarket" going rates (hoping possibly to score some toy crack)....

...Both ships are going for over $30. They're three fucking inches long...for $30. Yeah, I'll pass. Thanks anyway.

What's the deal on these? If they're selling so phenomenally well, shouldn't Hasbro be putting more of them out?

Ah, ineffable toy companies...

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave
Hasbro apparently doesn't have enough faith in the BSG minis to produce them in GREATER QUANTITIES and break them out into their own assortments, so they get thrown in with the Star Wars stuff.

Unfortunately, the quality on these guys isn't always so great:





Duds aside, the Viper Mark II is great fun, and the Viper Mark VII is almost as nice ("almost" due to the lack of landing gear). Still, it would be nice to see a Japanese company step up to the plate and give us some cool stuff.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Roger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...Still, it would be
> nice to see a Japanese company step up to the
> plate and give us some cool stuff.


Good call. A couple years ago, I remember a Jp toy company* putting out a series of classic Galactica mini's. Who it was escapes me at the moment. They were just plastic, but I ended up picking up a Cylon Basestar...fucking SICK! Plastic or not, the minute detail of the sculpt is just so perfect. Still have it laying around somewhere...might have to break out the paints and dry-brush it to bring out that detail.

Anyway, something along those lines...only diecast...would be killer.

*EDIT: Konami... [cgi.ebay.com]



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2007 01:13PM by Sanjeev.
Roger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hasbro apparently doesn't have enough faith in the
> BSG minis to produce them in GREATER QUANTITIES
> and break them out into their own assortments, so
> they get thrown in with the Star Wars stuff.
>


This kind of 'rider' situation is like what happened with the Aliens Action Fleets.
Sanjeev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Motherfrakker! I've honestly had no interest in
> the BSG Titanium toys before, but just for the
> shit of it, I checked BBTS to see what these were
> all about...of course, the Galactica and Pegasus
> were sold out. Again, just for the shit of it, I
> checked eBay for their "aftermarket" going rates
> (hoping possibly to score some toy crack)....
>
> ...Both ships are going for over $30. They're
> three fucking inches long...for $30. Yeah, I'll
> pass. Thanks anyway.
>
> What's the deal on these? If they're selling so
> phenomenally well, shouldn't Hasbro be putting
> more of them out?
>
> Ah, ineffable toy companies...


Sanjeev,
You realize you're checking prices for something that has just barely hit the distribution channel, right? ^_^ Prices will drop as they hit the shelves, then later rise again.

The Ultra Galactica is truly sick. Hefty hunk o'spacecraft.

The Mark II (white, updated version of the classic Viper) is probably my favorite diecast toy, bar none, in that size. I went nuts and amassed about 30 of them before I came to my senses. Talk about crack....

Jape
Sanjeev (Admin)
Bubba gump!? These things are THAT new? I thought these had had their time on toy shelves and had sold the f out...

So those eBay prices aren't "aftermarket"; they're pre-market?

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave
Yep, crazy, huh?

My experience has taught me that if you want Galactica Titaniums you should subscribe to BBTS' email newsletter, monitor your inbox like a hawk, and when you see the link for pre-orders, let fly immediately. The strategy hasn't failed me yet, and it works just fine for Star Wars figures, and it beats actually going to a retail establishment to find these things. ;p
Sanjeev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bubba gump!? These things are THAT new? I thought
> these had had their time on toy shelves and had
> sold the f out...
>
> So those eBay prices aren't "aftermarket"; they're
> pre-market?

I think the Pegasus assortment hits next, at least here in Texas. The Galactica and the updated Cylon Raider have been out for a while, maybe you're thinking of those? The Pegasus and Classic Raider are both brand new.

Now if they just make a classig Galactica and a Land Ram, I'm all set. ^_^

Jape
japester Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Now if they just make a classig Galactica and a
> Land Ram, I'm all set. ^_^


And classic and modern Base Stars. And a classic Shuttle. And the modern Atlantia. And a classic Pegasus. And the Blackbird. And a Heavy Raider. And that weird advanced Cylon Raider from "Galactica 1980." And .... :)

Best,
--Ken-A
Ken-A Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And classic and modern Base Stars. And a classic
> Shuttle. And the modern Atlantia. And a classic
> Pegasus. And the Blackbird. And a Heavy Raider.
> And that weird advanced Cylon Raider from
> "Galactica 1980." And .... :)

I like the way you think, Ken. LOL

I forgot about the shuttle (which has appeared a couple of times on the new show). Yeah, add a shuttle to my list. I can live without the rest. Always thought the Base Stars were boring. Meh.

Jape
The new series Base Star would be the next logical choice for Hasbro to make, but I can see how it would be hard to make it big enough and fit on the card.
Disassembled.
Would be nice, but they'd never do it that way.
In this week's episode, did anyone notice the smashed ship model in the background of Adama's office?

Because I did.

And I was wondering if you did.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Nah man, sorry...

I was too busy being confused by all the subtleties of the dialog. I still don't know what that episode was about. :(

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave
It was about model ships and why they should be smashed.
Sanjeev (Admin)
poot...not even your wit can shake me of the funk (not the good kind) I'm in regarding this show.

I need to shit or get off the pot--stop bitching and start caring and paying attention when it's on...or just quit watching altogether.

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave
You only have two hours left to endure. You'll make it.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Oh, this season's got only two episodes left? Yeah, I'll most probably make it.

And the season finale will probably raise the stakes in some way and bring back the urgency/on-the-brink survival struggle that's been utterly missing as of late.

It's like, I understand that the Cylons sudden silence won't help the humans sleep at night any better. But I just don't feel those on-the-edge, strung out conditions are portrayed well in more recent episodes. It just seems like people who've just gone through near-genocidal extermination are now quibbling about silly moral disagreements. Somehow, that seems to have detracted from the grittiness and realism that made me fall in love with the show initially.

I know: this has all sorta been brought up before...but I just don't see any improvement in episodes as of late. Again, hopefully, the finale will get things back to the way *I* like 'em!

Hehe...yeah, I know--I'm being selfish and these are all just one guy's opinions. All o'y'all, keep loving if that's what ya feel! I just need to shit or get off the pot...
Roger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [www.fantastic-plastic.com]
> age.htm


Nifty. I had to compare it to some images from the show because, for the life of me, it looks "super-deformed" in the first three images. Huh. I guess it's just a stubby design. Never noticed before.

Cool comparison shot to the Galactica. Didn't realize the Pegasus was that big.

Jape
So not only does Anders have a new uniform, it looks like the new pilot girlfriend comes with it.

That scene between Caprica Six and Tigh was excellent.

And was that the opera house where Roslyn and Athena were chasing Hera around?

And Ken, the trailer for next week seems to bear out your theory, but you can do anything with editing, I guess.
This felt like a back to normal ep. The pacing was on point, people weren't all over the place emotionally.

And we get more questions that keep us hungry for more.

I'm really hoping the music isn't as obvious as they're hinting it to be in the preview. A really nice feint would be the icing on the cake.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Agreed. I'm quite pleased that they're back on track. The finale looks to be promising, too.

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave
Roger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So not only does Anders have a new uniform, it
> looks like the new pilot girlfriend comes with
> it.

Very glad to see they didn't get rid of Anders just because of recent events. Also, Apollo's choices and their consequences are a nice counterpoint to Helo's choices and their total lack of consequences earlier this season.

> That scene between Caprica Six and Tigh was
> excellent.

Agreed, especially because ....

> And Ken, the trailer for next week seems to bear
> out your theory, but you can do anything with
> editing, I guess.

You may be giving me too much credit here. While I stand behind my theory as the ultimate resolution for the show, I think it's too soon for that kind of revelation. Instead, having both Baltar see his imaginary Six and Caprica Six see her imaginary Baltar in this same episode made me think the imaginary characters are more complex versions of the song that Tori, Anders and Tigh are hearing. They're all getting messages from someone or something else in a familiar but deceptive form, just like Starbuck did.

Can't wait for next week. Pity that, just as they get back on track, we've reached the end of the season!

Best,
--Ken-A
I liked the courtroom scenes - I like the new lawyer character. His dialogue is great fun to follow, like how he used Apollo's principles to coerce him, but didn't bother trying to hide it, and still won him over.

Ken-A, I can't find your "They're All Cylons" theory - (can't believe this thread is headed for 10 pages). But, you think that the original Cylons are the humanoid acients and both races descended from them?

Moore & Co. are working up a series called "Caprica" which is supposedly about politico Gran'pa Joseph Adama's attempts to oppose the creation of the original intelligent tincans.

Are you saying the tincans 'left and stumbled upon this other race of ancients' as opposed to 'left and figured out how to clone people'?


leMel42
Warning: there are some MAJOR spoilers floating around out there regarding the season finale. Avoid them. I only got a small taste and I'm regretting it.

But I think I know what the song on the wireless is now.
leMel42 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ken-A, I can't find your "They're All Cylons"
> theory - (can't believe this thread is headed for
> 10 pages). But, you think that the original Cylons
> are the humanoid acients and both races descended
> from them?
>
> Moore & Co. are working up a series called
> "Caprica" which is supposedly about politico
> Gran'pa Joseph Adama's attempts to oppose the
> creation of the original intelligent tincans.
>
> Are you saying the tincans 'left and stumbled upon
> this other race of ancients' as opposed to 'left
> and figured out how to clone people'?


You flatter me, Lemel -- my crackpot thinking isn't worth searching for. :) But you're quite right that, in the framework of the series, there's no escaping the fact that the Colonials created the Cylons, and the Cylons evolved on their own to approximate the Colonials themselves in order to better fight them. Given that we've heard several characters repeat the phrase "this has all happened before, and will all happen again" as scripture, it struck me that the Colonials and Cylons are stuck in an endless loop of destruction and migration.

We know that the mythology of the Colonials states that "humans and the gods lived together" on ancient Kobol, but that the Gods were destroyed and humans left for the 12 Colonies (and, supposedly, Earth). Could the Gods of Kobol be the original humans, who gave birth to their own "Cylons," who destroyed the Gods and moved out into the galaxy? Eventually, they settled on the 12 Colonies, and over time, became so like the Gods that they forgot they were "Cylons" and started calling themselves "Colonials." Then, over time, the Colonials give birth to the Cylons we know, who in turn destroy the Colonials (their own "Gods") and start the cycle all over again? And if this is the way of things, perhaps the Gods of Kobol weren't even the original humans, but were themselves the "Cylons" of some earlier generation?

Does this make sense, in a recursive kind of way?

Best,
--Ken-A
Ken-A Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...and the Cylons evolved on
> their own to approximate the Colonials themselves
> in order to better fight them.

Is that the case, though? I don't remember any specific reasons given for why the cylons took human form, although I guess it does seem to help them follow whatever plan their God has laid out for them.

Kobol and the "gods and humans lived together in harmony" story sounds a lot like what happened at New Caprica. Cylons and humans did live together, until the Cylons started betraying one another. The story is pretty similar.
Roger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ken-A Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > ...and the Cylons evolved on
> > their own to approximate the Colonials
> themselves
> > in order to better fight them.
>
> Is that the case, though? I don't remember any
> specific reasons given for why the cylons took
> human form, although I guess it does seem to help
> them follow whatever plan their God has laid out
> for them.

Hmm, I guess that's true; I may have been editorializing. The Cylons' reason(s) for "evolving" into humans has never been explicitly stated. It's clear, however that whatever the original reason for taking human form, it was an essential part of the military attack on the 12 Colonies. Caprica Six and Boomer are explicitly called "war heroes" based on their roles in the attack.

> Kobol and the "gods and humans lived together in
> harmony" story sounds a lot like what happened at
> New Caprica. Cylons and humans did live together,
> until the Cylons started betraying one another.
> The story is pretty similar.

"This has all happened before, and will all happen again." :)

Best,
--Ken-A
SPOILERS for season finale:









Well, if anyone here thinks this was a shark-jumping moment, then do us all a favor and don't bother to watch season 3. Me? I'm in for the long haul.

But man, what a wild ending.

So who are the final five? Seems like Anders, Tori, Tyrol, Tigh, and perhaps Starbuck. I would like to take credit for a slippery vague shred of a glimpse of an idea that I had back in January:

Roger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> leMel42 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Well, the final five thing - especially
> Lawless'
> > apology - was intriguing.
>
> Yeah, I've been trying to figure that out. It's
> like she was apologizing to someone she had
> wronged. Baltar, Bulldog, and Anders are the ones
> she tormented directly, and I guess you could
> consider Starbuck and Tigh indirect victims of
> hers through the occupation of New Caprica.
>
> Although as with every other character over 40,
> it's very unlikely Tigh is a cylon, because they
> were born before cylons existed.

Out of the four who heard the song, Tigh is the one that doesn't fit. At all.

Quoting myself (for posterity, harumph harumph) from back in December:

Roger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I also wonder what became of those five models.
> ...were they all sent on some deep cover mission
> and erased from the memories of the remaining
> seven for some unknown purpose?

This is the hypothesis I favor right now, although there's a lot of things that don't fit.

The only other thing I want to say is that those things in Baltar and Caprica Six's heads, as well as the oracles, seem to know a hell of a lot about what's going on.

Gotta sleep. I want to hear what everyone else thinks.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well, you know me: though I seem to post semi-regularly in this thread, I contribute nothing to it. ;) Hey, what can I say? I don't like to speculate...I like being surprised!

But, daaaaayamn! That was a dope ending for the season, though the music=Cylon thing magically materialized in my head early in the episode, thus spoiling that particular surprise for me... :( (see???)

The past couple eps have certainly cemented my viewership for the next season...but that still doesn't change the fact that several episodes this season have blown pretty bad.

But jesus...we have to wait until 2008 for new eps!? That's brutal...

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave
There will be a consolation prize in the form of extra episodes and/or a DVD, which will come out in the fall and will take place on Pegasus:

[www.salon.com]
Roger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So who are the final five? Seems like Anders,
> Tori, Tyrol, Tigh, and perhaps Starbuck. I would
> like to take credit for a slippery vague shred of
> a glimpse of an idea that I had back in January:
>
> Roger Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > leMel42 Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > Well, the final five thing - especially
> > Lawless'
> > > apology - was intriguing.
> >
> > Yeah, I've been trying to figure that out. It's
> > like she was apologizing to someone she had
> > wronged. Baltar, Bulldog, and Anders are the
> ones
> > she tormented directly, and I guess you could
> > consider Starbuck and Tigh indirect victims of
> > hers through the occupation of New Caprica.
> >
> > Although as with every other character over 40,
> > it's very unlikely Tigh is a cylon, because
> they
> > were born before cylons existed.
>
> Out of the four who heard the song, Tigh is the
> one that doesn't fit. At all.

Kudos to Rog for reading Ron Moore's mind, but he's quite right -- it's Tigh that doesn't fit. Tigh's too old, unless the "human" model Cylons have been around much, much longer that we have previously been led to believe.

> Quoting myself (for posterity, harumph harumph)
> from back in December:
>
> Roger Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I also wonder what became of those five models.
> > ...were they all sent on some deep cover
> mission
> > and erased from the memories of the remaining
> > seven for some unknown purpose?
>
> This is the hypothesis I favor right now, although
> there's a lot of things that don't fit.

Something else that doesn't fit: the obsession of the characters and the ... whatever they are in the characters' heads with Hera. Because the Chief and Calley have their own child. Sure, I can understand that both the 7 known Cylons and our heroes would miss the significance of the Chief and Calley's child, because neither side knows the Chief is actually a Cylon. But the six in Baltar's head? Whoever is responsible for sending visions to Roslin and Athena? I'm not buying it. I'm thinking the music and the visions are related, and they're not being heard only by Cylons. Because Roslyn isn't a Cylon. No?

> The only other thing I want to say is that those
> things in Baltar and Caprica Six's heads, as well
> as the oracles, seem to know a hell of a lot about
> what's going on.

But not hardly everything, if those four actually turn out to be Cylons.

> Gotta sleep. I want to hear what everyone else
> thinks.

Me too. The Fall eps are on Pegasus? Cool!

Best,
--Ken-A
More from Moore:

[www.post-gazette.com]

It would be interesting if that Starbuck Lee encountered out in the nebula just lives in his head, like Baltar's Six, or Caprica Six's Baltar.
Roger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> It would be interesting if that Starbuck Lee
> encountered out in the nebula just lives in his
> head, like Baltar's Six, or Caprica Six's Baltar.


Sound design from the last scene definitely supports this theory. When Lee says "Kara?" it's distorted with static, like he's speaking on the radio. When Starbuck answers, her speech is as clear as if she was in the same room, a noticeable difference.

Best,
--Ken-A
Sanjeev (Admin)
Two things: Tigh could be a Cylon because it's not like Adama was a childhood friend. He coulda been manufactured with implanted memories right before his introduction to Adama, right?

Also, why didn't the prosecution in Baltar's case call Caprica 6 to the stand? Or didn't they know anything about that shit?

...

Gods...y'all're making think about all this shit!! DAMN YOU!

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer