[BATTLESTAR GALACTICA] The series.

Posted by Roger 
garrrr! Now ya' jerks have ruined it for me!
Sanjeev (Admin)
Kevin Spacey is Keyser Soze.
Dead horse is still being beaten:

[ideas.4brad.com]

If anyone's still interested, the DVD of The Plan is going to be released in late October, before it airs on SyFy. Check Amazon for a pre-order.
Sheesh...nothing like a sci-fi fan scorned.

Hey, what's the ol' saying? It's not the destination that counts but the journey.
to borrow from Frank Miller (in original ref to the promises of a junkie)

"Fan outrage. Absolutely sincere. Absolutely worthless..."
Well, the essay did remind me that the show's ending rendered the Tomb of Athena scene utterly incomprehensible. ;)


H-man Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Hey, what's the ol' saying? It's not the
> destination that counts but the journey.


In life, perhaps. But in fiction?

Best,
--Ken-A
B00
Anybody pick up "The plan" yet?

__________________
MoonBaseTom Season tickets available. Call now.
SPOILERS

Overall, thumbs down. While it has some cool stuff in it and a wisp of an interesting theme, it's very choppy and doesn't feel very substantial. When Babylon 5 was picked up for its final season by TNT, Straczynski tried something similar by making a TV movie out of mostly stock footage. While it was a fun B5 geek out, it was a Frankenstein's Monster of a story that just didn't feel right. The Plan is the same way.

Little things that I enjoyed:

- Two different types of civilian Raptors!
- Nudity, including EJO's wife!
- Jacknifing base stars!
- Socinus!
- The DVD easter egg (see Darth Mojo's blog)!

There's also a weird deleted scene where Cavil sells the idea of working with the cylons to Anders' resistance group, Boomer and Caprica Six (the newly crowned "war heroes") show up offering an olive branch and things go badly. Not sure how this was going to work into the grand scheme of things.

The worst thing about this movie was one of the worst things about the final season of Galactica: the idea that Cavil has been the mustache-twirling villain behind the scenes, and here he's clearly shown as the boss of the other Cylons. He even gets to say stuff like, "I'm going to wipe out humanity once and for all." Ugh.

To add insult to injury, they add a classic "Mary Sue" to the story in the form of EJO's wife's character (see [en.wikipedia.org] if you don't know what I'm talking about) who not only figures out that someone is pulling the strings of the various Cylon agents, but she also gets to make out with a major character under a Raptor.

While I yelled at the screen at first when that apple was offered to Cavil (enough with the goddamn Christan symbolism!), the scene was salvaged when the little kid was knifed. It wouldn't be Galactica without the murder of little children. Yay.

I did like the symmetry of the Simon/Cavil story arcs on Galactica and Caprica, one becoming sympathetic while the other's hatred of humanity grew. They're more human than they realize. Of course, Caprica Cavil apparently gets boxed, so there's no lasting effect.

So many other unanswered questions. So Kara never met the Simon that was in Anders' group? Ellen never mentioned that she was boozing it up with Cavil on Picon before the attack? And what happened to the "standard pleasure model" Six?

Also, there's a near complete absence of Mary McDonnell from the scenes, most notably the one where the Cavils meet in the brig. Maybe they didn't pay her enough for reuse of her footage?

I feel like I have to say something nice now after all this bitching. I really liked the attack on the colonies, narrated in disjointed prose by the Hybrid. Cool shot of one of the colonies definitely inspired by the Terminator films.

Anyway, watch it, you know you want to.
B00
I had mostly the same experience. The movie started out great, then fizzled-out as it became more of a "episode back-story". It still didn't explained why Boomer was put on Galactica in the first place. It was a relativity insignificant ship at the time (decommissioned, unarmed and 50 years old).

Also, the Cylon agents in the fleet working out of Galactica's chapel was a bit of a stretch. It would have been a little move convincing if Cavil was operating on another ship. Like the big roulette-wheel look'n one. Woulda been nice to see a little more of the other ships for once.

Razor was much better.

__________________
MoonBaseTom Season tickets available. Call now.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2009 11:48PM by B00.
Oh Jesus .... WTF happened to this fandom?

I really, REALLY miss discussing Farscape, a Sci-Fi Channel 'Original' Series.


-Rz77
mcfitch (Admin)
Quote

Oh Jesus .... WTF happened to this fandom?

Uh....the show stopped?
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
There was a recent episode of Masterpiece Theatre, part of a mini-series about a multi-car accident on the freeway and how it affected different peoples' lives. Anyway, one of the characters is a sci-fi geek who has bootlegged Star Trek shows on a customized USB drive, and the drive is (from what I can tell) a Hasbro Titanium original series Viper with blue stripes. Very weird to see it pop up there.
mcfitch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh Jesus .... WTF happened to this fandom?
>
> Uh....the show stopped?
> -Mason


Yeah ... but just because a sf show got cancelled doesn't mean it's fandom stops discussing it. It's a show that wouldn't go away. Just ask the 1st-2nd generation Trekkies.

-Rz77
mcfitch (Admin)
I guess it's just not the focus of this site and it's users. I'd be floored if there weren't still rather active forums dedicated to nothing but BSG. I really enjoyed the show, but our thread here was mainly used as a watercooler; a way to discuss the latest episode and speculate on what it would mean down the line. Given that there's no "down the line" anymore. Hence the sparse use of this thread since the show stopped.
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
Roger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> SPOILERS
>
> Overall, thumbs down. While it has some cool stuff
> in it and a wisp of an interesting theme, it's
> very choppy and doesn't feel very substantial.
> When Babylon 5 was picked up for its final season
> by TNT, Straczynski tried something similar by
> making a TV movie out of mostly stock footage.
> While it was a fun B5 geek out, it was a
> Frankenstein's Monster of a story that just didn't
> feel right. The Plan is the same way.
>
> Little things that I enjoyed:
>
> - Two different types of civilian Raptors!
> - Nudity, including EJO's wife!
> - Jacknifing base stars!
> - Socinus!
> - The DVD easter egg (see Darth Mojo's blog)!
>
> There's also a weird deleted scene where Cavil
> sells the idea of working with the cylons to
> Anders' resistance group, Boomer and Caprica Six
> (the newly crowned "war heroes") show up offering
> an olive branch and things go badly. Not sure how
> this was going to work into the grand scheme of
> things.
>
> The worst thing about this movie was one of the
> worst things about the final season of Galactica:
> the idea that Cavil has been the mustache-twirling
> villain behind the scenes, and here he's clearly
> shown as the boss of the other Cylons. He even
> gets to say stuff like, "I'm going to wipe out
> humanity once and for all." Ugh.
>
> To add insult to injury, they add a classic "Mary
> Sue" to the story in the form of EJO's wife's
> character (see
> [en.wikipedia.org] if you don't
> know what I'm talking about) who not only figures
> out that someone is pulling the strings of the
> various Cylon agents, but she also gets to make
> out with a major character under a Raptor.
>
> While I yelled at the screen at first when that
> apple was offered to Cavil (enough with the
> goddamn Christan symbolism!), the scene was
> salvaged when the little kid was knifed. It
> wouldn't be Galactica without the murder of little
> children. Yay.
>
> I did like the symmetry of the Simon/Cavil story
> arcs on Galactica and Caprica, one becoming
> sympathetic while the other's hatred of humanity
> grew. They're more human than they realize. Of
> course, Caprica Cavil apparently gets boxed, so
> there's no lasting effect.
>
> So many other unanswered questions. So Kara never
> met the Simon that was in Anders' group? Ellen
> never mentioned that she was boozing it up with
> Cavil on Picon before the attack? And what
> happened to the "standard pleasure model" Six?
>
> Also, there's a near complete absence of Mary
> McDonnell from the scenes, most notably the one
> where the Cavils meet in the brig. Maybe they
> didn't pay her enough for reuse of her footage?
>
> I feel like I have to say something nice now after
> all this bitching. I really liked the attack on
> the colonies, narrated in disjointed prose by the
> Hybrid. Cool shot of one of the colonies
> definitely inspired by the Terminator films.
>
> Anyway, watch it, you know you want to.

To be honest with you Roger, I don't want to because I'm too lazy to watch TV, but not too lazy to read 'The Hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy' b/c of the very fact it was published & edited by intergalactic slackers like myself.

2 thumbs 'crossed' up!

-Rz77
Anyone seen this? They're supposed to be available at TRU.


"Build a lot... pay a little!"

Cheapness advertised right on the box.
Roger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyone seen this? They're supposed to be available
> at TRU.
>
>


They've been out quite a while, Rog. The "Viper" is available separately (in red, I think), as well as in a pack with the "Cylon" and a larger ship that looks like nothing in BSG. I'm too much of a Lego snob to have ever bought them, tho'.

Best, Ken-A
They are crap. Complete crap.
machinesoldier Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They are crap. Complete crap.


Then go shopping, get some, and you can burn them without regret. Cheap fun indeed!
Roger Wrote:
> Anyone seen this? They're supposed to be available
> at TRU.
>
>

Yeah, there are a lot of different sets and they've been out for over a year. If you'd looked them up a few months ago, you could've found them on the Toys R Us website as well as eToys, but it looks like they're all de-listed now.
Here's some more pics, though, most of them are still listed on Amazon:

single ships:
- "Falcon".
- grey "Hawk".
- red "Hawk".

two-packs:
- white "Hawk" and Raider.
- grey "Hawk" and Raider.

bigger sets:
- two red "Hawks" and a Raider.
- two "Spiders", one red "Hawk" and a base.

The "Hawk" is the pseudo-Viper. Weird that they don't disguise the name on the "Raiders".

I'm pretty sure there are MORE sets than these - I think I've seen two and three-packs mixing in the "Falcon" and "Spider" fighters with the two BSG ripoffs.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2009 12:37AM by asterphage.
Found this early packaging mockup on their site. It almost looks like it was done in Lego Digital Designer.


-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2009 12:40AM by asterphage.
Attachments:
open | download - 24033.jpg (58.1 KB)
So let me get this straight: Cavil is mad that he's stuck in a limited flesh body that can't smell black holes. The cylons have a way to store memories, etc., so why can't he just develop a solution for a fully mechanical (or cyborg) body to transfer himself into? Instead he pursues the capture and dissection of Hera so they can unlock her biological secrets. Huh?

Yes, still think about this occasionally. I was browsing my CD collection, saw the soundtrack and immediately my brain started processing it again. Stupid brain.
The reason Cavil developed his obsession with Hera in[OUT-OF-INTEREST ERROR]
OH yeah, new season of "Caprica" is back on... anyone still watching that? Looks like they'll be promising MORE CYLONS down the pipe.
Sanjeev (Admin)
My buddy's actually following Caprica. She tried to explain the premise to me the other night...but I swear, you could actually hear my neurons slowly shutting down...
OK, I haven't been comic store trawling in a while, so, is there a tie in comic to this new Caprica? Yeah, yeah, I'll google...
Ha! I knew it! "Cylon War" TV movie/pilot in the works... possibly replacing "Caprica"!

[www.aintitcool.com]
I don't want to see that made. Ron Moore apparently has nothing to do with it, and as badly as he botched the final season of BSG, he knew military stuff inside and out.
Caprica canceled:

[entertainment.slashdot.org]
Well that makes it easy for me... I'm behind on my DVR watching anyway and can now delete the last 3 or 4 Caprica episodes to make room for more "Community" and "Sym-Bionic Titan" episodes.
Roger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>, he knew
> military stuff inside and out.


Huh, I had always felt like BSG's military authenticity was sort of lacking. At least where carrier ops and command and CAG structure were concerned. I can't really cite specifics, as I can't really remember them now, but I remember having a lot of nit-picks when I was watching it more. Keep in mind that I was spending a lot of time aboard an aircraft carrier and around jets at the time they were airing, so I was hyper exposed to that. And of course, I can only really speak for American carrier ops.

I am aware that writers could and would have changed a lot for the sake of blocking, stylization, and dramatic effect, but I still remember feeling that they were sort of half-assing it, and seeing some stuff that felt sort of ignorant for lack of a better word. It was cool that they tried, but it could have been a lot better. Was Moore some sort of historian or veteran or something?

I still enjoyed the series enough that I would rather see a Cylon War prequel get made and fail than not made at all... it's always possible that the writers will really listen to their military consultants, and make a real gem. Possible.
Warrhead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Was Moore some sort of historian or
> veteran or something?

Not a veteran but he did serve in the Navy briefly:

[en.wikipedia.org]

In the episode commentaries he talked a lot about the military fiction he had read and how it influenced the show. He also mentioned visiting a modern carrier and basing aspects of the Galactica on that.

Apparently the Blood & Chrome series has been ordered as a standalone movie. Presumably if it does well it will be turned into a series, but I think we're at that point where Babylon 5 was after Crusade was canceled. Just stop.
Blood and Chrome is a good start as far as the stylistic direction that the title suggests.

I could totally see that modern carrier ops were an influence in the show, I just wanted them to go a little further. It also bugged me that there wasn't as much of a pronounced differentiation between the Galactica's crew and the Marines. They had an awesome opportunity to throw in a little cross-branch tension and competition, and totally dropped the ball. Especially since I assume COLONEL Tigh is a Marine.

The single biggest let down to me though was how officers still got ALL of the glory, and the lowly grunts always seemed to have their thumbs up their collective asses until Apollo or Starbuck took charge of the ground action. In realty if a PILOT tried to take command of Marines trying to conduct counter insurgency exercises aboard the ship they would have respectfully told him to go kick rocks. Hollywood is always so fucking gaga over officers. (Can you tell I was enlisted?)
Tigh definitely isn't a marine. I don't remember exactly what he said but Moore talked about how the rank structure differed from anything in the actual US Navy (it's not America, or even Earth, after all). The marines just served as "red shirts" for story purposes and I remember there weren't supposed to be many of them.
I wasn't too sure about that, but it seemed plausible in a joint task force sort of way. The Rank structure was carried over from the original series, so I suppose Moore was presumably just working with what the source material dictated.

I got that the Marines' function was action fodder, I just didn't like it. It makes sense though that in the story, the only surviving Marines would be those attached to the Galactica at the time the Cylon attack happened, and that they would be a small number. The rest of them would have been pounding the ground somewhere when all the nukes fell.
Sanjeev (Admin)
No other place to put this...but it's kinda cool:
[www.monstersinmotion.com]
Galactica: Blood and Chrome concluded on YouTube today. Anyone like it?
I'm waiting until it turns up on SyFy in February or on DVD... still don't like watching video on the computer for extended periods of time (though that may change when I unwrap my new Nexus 7 from under the Xmas tree...)
B00
Picked up blood and chrome on blu ray. Can't really say I'm blown away by the story, it dosen't add much to the Galactica saga. It just kinda muddled along, and didn't build to anything we didn't already know was coming. There were some cool background visuals and some cool CG ship battles. If it goes to a season run I'll watch, but it will never be the Galactic I loved.

__________________
MoonBaseTom Season tickets available. Call now.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2013 12:56AM by B00.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer