Ark Kong questions for experts

Posted by GA37DX 
I have just bought a Japanese Ark Kong. It is supposed to be unplayed with, untouched, unmodified. When I opened the box, I saw there were two types of rivets : round and flat. Shouldn't they be all the same ? Moreover, the red plastic parts of the limbs don't seem to have the exact same red color.
Could anyone tell me if these are normal ?

Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2011 05:21PM by GA37DX.
Someone gonna answer this guy? Stop being cave dwellers and drop some knowledge on him!
cae
I think it's possible there are variations within the production of these toys but my experience isn't with versions that are supposedly straight from the factory to you so I canna answer beyond the above.

---------------------------------
hassenpfeffer
Hi GA37DX ,

I just checked my Ark Kongs (a boxed japanese version & US/Export version).
The red plastic parts of the limbs have all the same red color.
There is only one type of rivet that holds arm & les parts together: flat type

As Cae says...it's possible that there are variations out there.

But maybe your Kong had bee repaired at some time. Is ther only one round rivet?

BTW. Kong is a kick ass toy! I love him.

Thank you for the reply chogoman. There are at least two round rivets. I will try to send pictures asap. Sure a helluva toy !

Thanks again.

If you look at the left arm of Stephan's Kong in the first picture above, you can see two press-fit rivets holding the silver upper arm together. The black forearm, however, seems to be held together by a non-compressed rivet that has a simple flat circular disk head. [Sorry if I'm getting these terms all boogered up! I really should know fastener terminology from all the airframe construction we do!]

Well, my Kong is much like that: there seems to be a mix of the press-fit rivets and the circular disk head ones. Are those the two types you mean, GA37DX?
Thanks for the message Sanjeev. In fact, on my kong, if I compare the rivets of the shoulder parts (or upper arms) they both have the same riveting holes if you look at them in front view. (I'm not mentioning the second rivet from the top, which looks exactly the same as the photo posted above.) You can only see the difference if you look at them in back view. This is where you can see one is flat whereas the other is slightly rounded. As unfortunately I'm not at home now, I wasn't able to take a picture of the said rivets heads, but my kong's upper left arm (see green arrow) has a rounded rivet at its back. I attached a sketch too, hoping it will help.

Thanks a lot.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2011 03:37PM by GA37DX.
Attachments:
open | download - Copie de Kong.jpg (123.4 KB)
open | download - image015.png (34.1 KB)
Ha! My Kong is now reference material.

-dylan
I made a few detail shots of Kong's arm.

-Stephan
Thank you for the pictures chogoman. If I understand well, it means that all the rivets are all flat at those places on your kong? Could anyone else confirm if they have the same?
As I have a mix of flat and rounded rivets, does it mean that I was done? (The item was supposedly minty and untouched)

Thank you all.

-Stephan

...even with mixed rivets Kong is a awesome toy!
Maybe you have a scarce prototype or variant.
MattAlt (Admin)
I finally had a chance to check mine. It is a Japanese boxed King Kong and the fasteners are just like those in Chogoman's pictures. (both are rivets, but the top head is smooth while the bottom head is a cross-screw head). But I think it's highly likely that there are variations out there, too. This was toy-making, not rocket science... ;)
cae
mine follows the above trend as well - but I echo (and reiterate) what I and Matt have said above - qc undoubtedly varied

---------------------------------
hassenpfeffer
chogoman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe you have a scarce prototype or variant.

Uh oh. Are you trying to create a new hysteria for rivet variant collecting? HA!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2011 08:58AM by Kingboy D.
maybe :-D

that drives up the prices!
OK. I see. All I wanted to know was if I had been screwed. I felt very suspicious, but now I feel better. Thanks to all of you for your kind supports.

Click here to login

footer