Other finished prototypes/non-released toys?

Posted by cohiba 
The Gingaizer thread courtesy of Matt had me looking through my old files. Here is an interesting photo that has a few finished prototypes in it. IT has the Gachapin and Mukku, Sarutobi sasuke, Kintaro and the robocon on trike in it!

It has different versions of the K rider meisaku, tiger mask meisaku.

I am particularly interested in the finished prototypes as they were mentioned in the green arrow books as well but without photo proof.

I think I might have posted this photo before as well, but for the sake of posterity as well, here it is again
Attachments:
open | download - q1022m5162img576x4321264279875t5zze.jpg (116.5 KB)
MattAlt (Admin)
Holey moley! Let me drop by with a scanner so we can get a better-quality shot... I really want to get a clearer view of that Sarutobi Sasuke. He's the ninja who started the whole ninja boom, way back in 1912.

On the topic of other prototypes there's been some talk a Popy Boss Borott exists, as they even went so far as to give it a GA series number, but I've never seen a photo.
MattAlt (Admin)
I just did a quick search and found a site with clearer photos:

[diecast.yumenogotoshi.com]

There's Sarutobi Sasukeon the left. And check out that "Bellstar" from Kagestar. Never heard of that one, either.

And the wooden prototype Combattler V is mind-blowing...!

But I think my favorite bit is the series of cancelled prototypes of pyramids, moai, and dogu stone idols that transform into robots. Talk about giving the Rock Lords a run for their money....

Thanks for kicking off the thread -- I never would have looked if you hadn't posted!
Holy crap...Matt, there is nothing and I mean NOTHING I don't love about those links...That wooden Combattler is enough to make every last one of of Sanjeev's various Gods cry with delight...superb...and hats of to cohiba for starting this...
cae
The diecast Mook and Gachapin from Ponkikies are killing me.

---------------------------------
hassenpfeffer
Fucking hell....that pic is amazing.

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
My most-wanted prototype? Nazgar from Roboforce:

It's Krang meets darth vader. There is nothing wrong with that wonderful formula.
NICE!
AcroRay's cyborg proto is still quite the mysterious creature:

[www.flickr.com]
MattAlt (Admin)
Two others popped into my head: the Zinclon "Bullpet" series Mothra and Mogera. Both were apparently announced in sales catalogs but I don't think anyone's seen a prototype shot.

The rumor is that the Mothra could "transform" from larval to moth form with removable wings, though that could just be wishful thinking.
In the Artmic Design Works book there is a wooden prototype for a Megazone 23 Garland toy (transforming motorcycle) that was never produced...

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Damn...I'd never heard of Sasutobi Sasuke before, but that lil dude rocks! So much cool shit to see...
MattAlt (Admin)
Damn...I'd never heard of Sasutobi Sasuke before

You can read all about 'im in a little book called Ninja Attack! (Right alongside the story behind the Robodachi ninja frog. ;)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Ha! I was just organizing my bookshelf last night when I came across my copy of Ninja Attack!

Naturally, I thought to myself, "I gotta get around to reading that..." ;P
cae
I loves me some Ninja Frog

hassenpfeffer
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
Cool. I have this issue. I'll have to do a high res scan.
I did some internet searching today too and found some catalogs that have proto shots on them. I have all these catalogs but some nice blogger decided to scan them all in.

As I mentioned before there is a shot of the DX Wingman that I have wanted since I originally saw it back in the 80's.
[www7b.biglobe.ne.jp]
The catalog shot of the Sakura-go.
[www7b.biglobe.ne.jp]
This link is to a photo shoot of the Damashii Nations that features the prototype of the Battle Shark that was rumored to be built right around the time Battle Fever Robo came out. There are also a bunch of neat one-offs in there as well as other prototypes.

[www.toybu.net]
cohiba Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I did some internet searching today too and found
> some catalogs that have proto shots on them. I
> have all these catalogs but some nice blogger
> decided to scan them all in.
>
> As I mentioned before there is a shot of the DX
> Wingman that I have wanted since I originally saw
> it back in the 80's.
> [www7b.biglobe.ne.jp]
> e_catarog_popy15.html
> The catalog shot of the Sakura-go.
> [www7b.biglobe.ne.jp]
> e_catarog_popy06.html

Remind me to scan the Bandai Tokyo Toy Show catalogue I have. That one has TONS of prototypes in nice big (over A4/Letter) size pictures, including sentai.

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
MattAlt (Admin)
>>Artmic Design Works book there is a wooden prototype for a Megazone 23 Garland toy

You're talking this pic, right? It was an early visualization aid for the animators. I don't think there were any plans for toys.

>>This link is to a photo shoot of the Damashii Nations

I remember that show! My kingdom for those translucent Baikanfu and Nadeshiko prototypes....

Speaking of Bandai prototypes, this wooden Walker Galliar was on display at their Shizuoka factory; I think it's for an unproduced kit.
Sanjeev (Admin)
I don't collect SoCs, but I woulda made an exception for this Gattaiger!

And, damn, my kingdom for this Grendy poster...

MattAlt Wrote:
> Speaking of Bandai prototypes, this wooden Walker
> Galliar was on display at their Shizuoka factory;
> I think it's for an unproduced kit.

Likely for the 1/100 Walker Galiar kit that was never produced (untill they made the RealRobotRevolution 2 decades later).

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
F.... it! Why wasn't this made?

Dancouga with Black Wing!

Was this dark green Irongear ever made?

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
The fully transforming ST-sized chogo Golion that was floating around several years ago had gorgeous detail...really hi-end tooling for a bootleg. I've always suspected the original source was legit.
Everytime this is posted God makes someone masturbate and then a kitten dies:

--------------------------
I want YOU for MoƩ Sucks Army
Scopedog Wrote:
> Everytime this is posted God makes someone
> masturbate and then a kitten dies:

....and, my head explodes.

It did spawn one of the ultimate bootlegs however. There must be more out there, somewhere.
cae
I need Crunch with the snaring claws - y'all can keep the rest

hassenpfeffer

there's always this beast
wasn't there a prototype of the ship that was the top of Junior Robot's head? I think it was in a popy catalog.

I believe Sean Linkenback had blueprints for the bullpet mogera, perhaps the mothra as well. He seemed to think there was talk of a Jumbozaurus King Ghidorah but didn't think it made it to the prototype stage.

The Bandai America prototypes for the Jumbo Delta Mega Voyager and Quantasaurus Rex toys always excite me.

The Takemi bust for the Blue Caesar was never made, right?
MattAlt (Admin)
Now there's a dealer name I haven't heard in a long time. Anyone still in touch with him? I'd love to scan those (good luck getting one of those old-timers to give up anything without a fight, though.)

Total side note / reminiscence mode here:

I got "serious" (insofar as a grown man collecting children's toys can be) about tracking down antique Japanese toys in the early Nineties. Back then, the internet was only just starting to percolate through non-academic circles. (ToyboxDX didn't even launch until 1997.) For East Coasters, toy dealers like Sean, and Mike Z, and Steve Agin, and Jim Cirronella, and the "Outer Limits" guy whose name escapes me, were basically the only way to get stuff out of Japan save for going there yourself.

For the rest of us, there was New Jersey. I can't count the number of times I made Cannonball Run style drives into deepest Jersey in search of one score or another. Every time I see the NJ Turnpike on the opening of "the Sopranos" I get flashbacks, save for the fact that that ends in front of a palatial suburban mansion and I'd inevitably find myself in front of some Aadams Family style decaying Victorian with foam peanuts for carpeting and rafters packed with Popy boxes, meticulously arranged serial killer style.

It was one of those classic "information asymmetry" situations where they had all the power... Until the floodgates of the Web and eBay opened and they were all washed away. I distinctly remember a dealer acquaintance telling me ToyboxDX was a stupid idea because giving info out about the toys would only mean more people looking for them. Funny how times change.
For what it's worth, here's the unlicensed Golion I mentioned. It's so close the the DX in terms of appearance, you have to have something else in the pic to provide a sense of scale. Heavy to. There have been at least three versions of this toy released as bootlegs, the first was the best quality.

MattAlt Wrote:
> Now there's a dealer name I haven't heard in a
> long time. Anyone still in touch with him? I'd
> love to scan those (good luck getting one of those
> old-timers to give up anything without a fight,
> though.)
>

I tried contacting him several months ago for these, but I never heard back from him. Perhaps you would have more luck, since I never talked to him before.
Anonymous User
Mike Parisi Wrote:
> AcroRay's cyborg proto is still quite the
> mysterious creature:
>
> [www.flickr.com]
> 7/

I tried to sell it on YahooJP a while back, via a friend in Japan. Takara contacted Yahoo JP and had the auction taken down.
Holy crap. That makes no sense. If they thought it was their property, they would have contacted you. If they really wanted it, they would have made an offer. WTF?
Anonymous User
Mike Parisi Wrote:
> Holy crap. That makes no sense. If they thought it
> was their property, they would have contacted you.
> If they really wanted it, they would have made an
> offer. WTF?

They contacted my proxy via YahooJP auctions, and asked for more details about its history. Then we never heard anything more.

That was when the Tomy-Takara reorganization was going on iirc, so it might have just gotten lost in the shuffle.

I wish I could make it to the Summit or one of the other east coast get-togethers, so I could show it off first-hand. Thing is amazing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2011 12:12PM by AcroRay.
Mike Parisi Wrote:
> For what it's worth, here's the unlicensed Golion
> I mentioned. It's so close the the DX in terms of
> appearance, you have to have something else in the
> pic to provide a sense of scale. Heavy to. There
> have been at least three versions of this toy
> released as bootlegs, the first was the best
> quality.
>
>

I'm pretty sure that's the same mold trendmasters used for their mid size plastic voltron. It's pretty much an exact scaled down dx but with no elbow articulation, and slightly more squat proportions. I think that is also an indicator of an original popy, why would they find some obscure KO that only a few of exist and base a toy on it?
Interestingly, I'm pretty sure the first version *is* articulated at the elbow, and the horns on the head fold out as well. The box is just like the original GoLion DX, only smaller and re-named the ubiquitous "LionBot".
I loved me some Powerpuff Girls, and saved this pic of some kaiju they never produced (as far as I know). Too bad...
Attachments:
open | download - PPG kaiju.jpg (52.6 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
That Mojo Jojo-piloted robot would be kinda hot!
cae
aw, yeah. When the show was at its peak, I was whining at the lack of kaiju designs. HIM woulda been rad ...

hassenpfeffer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer