Yellow Mazinger Z

Posted by Nekrodave 
I'm sure the Chairman would prefer we just pretend that this didn't happen, but it's reality, folks. Bootlegs rule!! :)

[cgi.ebay.com]

Seriously, this was a pretty stunning outcome to this auction. I think it's the most ever paid for a bootleg jumbo, topping the $3800 I remember a mib Gundam going for. Hard to believe it's gotten this out of hand.

"There's no Bigfoot in The Awakening." -James Bickert
Yweah, this blew my mind. Now let's see if it doesn't get relisted cuz it was bogus.
I can't vouch for the bidder, but I can vouch for the seller.

bt1
Definitely not my area of interest, but even I had to watch it when it showed up. Never seeing one at auction, I was expecting four figures, but didn't think it would crack $2k, let alone $5k+.

Nice, and congrats to whoever picked it up - and maybe condolences to your bank account ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2011 11:51PM by bt1.
So, I will be able to tell to my children that I've live the moment where obscure bootleg started to sold for more than the original toys.

Like Dave was saying it's probably the most expensive bootleg and I wonder if it's not the most expensive Jumbo Mazinger of any brand.

I'm happy I don't collect bootlegs....
Wow. I "get" Jumbos. I LOVE Jumbos. But that kind of $$$ for THAT... it's a sickness! ;-)
Really, my cousin down in Caracas has a few just like that growing up. Think they eventually filled the hollow torsos with candy and used them for pinatas...thankfully they had an aluminum bat!

Given the choice, I'd rather have a loose Daiku, but who's to say?
Sanjeev (Admin)
I'd rather have a loose Daiku as well...but this one's just wild. I'm sure it's not the first case of a bootleg going for more than the original, though, Mike. I'll bet there are other examples...
There are more than a few of us who like bootlegs but jeez, this really is insane. Certainly an interesting case study...the driving power of scarcity and the madness of the completionist mind? I will never forgot some guy put a "wanted" picture ad in toyshop magazine offering $$$ for a concrete garden statue of Batman, you know, the ones made in Mexico that look like they were slapped together by a 10 year old?

All that said, I think this is a pretty awesome piece. It's interesting to me that in the world of bootlegs a threshold exists, were junk transforms into treasure. Great example.
Not sure if it's the one you are referring to, but a friend of mine had a Mexican made Batman statue. It was fucking awesome. I would take it over a legit Batman toy every time. In fact, monetary value aside, you offer me that statue and the best gokin you can think of, I take the statue! :)

But back to this Mazinger, I think a couple things play into it. Firstly, outside of the yellow coloration, this isn't really much different from the Popy toy. Sure, it's missing the missiles and the wheels, but overall, it's a pretty accurate looking bootleg. Despite my joke in the original post, when I posted mine on FB, even Sjoen admitted it wasn't THAT bad as far as bootlegs go. Mazinger Z: Paladin de la Justicia, it is not! And besides, it's Mazinger Z! THE guy for many collectors.

Secondly, this is the first time this toy has been sold at a very public, properly listed auction before. I know of a couple others that have changed hands privately but for the most part, this is the first time everyone had a chance at it. So.. a vintage toy that many people may have never seen before can sometimes cause a bit of a feeding frenzy.

Oh and I don't necessarily mean to imply that I think it should have sold for this much. I'm as flabbergasted as anyone.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2011 12:01PM by Nekrodave.
<<Not sure if it's the one you are referring to, but a friend of mine had a Mexican made Batman statue.

The one I'm referring to looked like a spray-painted mashed potato sculpture.
Just tagged you in the only pic I can find of that Batman. :)

At this point the original Popy light-up Jumbo Mazinger-Z that I purchased some years ago on Yahoo Jap was a super-cheap item!
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
Pathetic..
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
I kid David.. I kid.

So, seriously, didn't you JUST get one of these roughly a year ago or so? What a stupid pissing contest though IMHO. For a piece of crap like that? $6K. I mean, seriously, where is this stupid hobby going?
Erik Sjoen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>I mean, seriously, where is this stupid hobby going?

Really, man. I feel like I am completely priced out of the hobby at this point. Even stupid loose incomplete crap is going for way too much. I'm just glad I got the bulk of my stuff when it was still semi-affordable. My collection is pretty static now.
Kingboy D Wrote:
> I feel like I am completely priced
> out of the hobby at this point.

Don't feel bad, you could pick up a good chunk (if not close to the entire run) of Godaikin toys for that chump change (RICH chump apparently), or easily the entire run of US Shogun toys.

My wife tolerated my spending $600 on a loose Jumbo Ryger years ago (most I've paid for anything in this hobby, tied with the Battle Fever J DX Box Set), and that was a stretch to explain how great of a "deal" that was.

To bring this thing home, with visible SCREWS holding the chest plates in place, she'd think I went to Tijuana for the weekend and picked that up from one of the street vendors on the way out. THEN she'd ask me where the 5K really went?
josh fraser (Moderator)
To bring this thing home, with visible SCREWS holding the chest plates in place, she'd think I went to Tijuana for the weekend and picked that up from one of the street vendors on the way out. THEN she'd ask me where the 5K really went?

All the coke that is stored inside the legs cost $4995.00
The "Hobby" is probably experiencing the same realizations shared in the Star Wars community about bootlegs and unauthorized reproductions of licensed property.

[theswca.com]
[theswca.com]

Sometimes the original item that is plagiarized, is eclipsed by the oddity and absurdity, and also in the discovery of these off-beat items. In many cases during unstable political climates, countries aren't able to gain licensing or importing for items. Many see opportunity and capitalize on it.

I find the aesthetics compelling and inspiring and also enjoy the designs of the properties that spawned production interpretations as toys.

Some of these bootleg or wanna-be items can be very original and unique and expressive. Even though they may not fit my personal tastes... having them encapsulated for archival purposes is at the very least revealing and informative about the brand equity of the properties they borrow from.

In original product design we always say "you haven't really made it until you've been bootlegged."

So it's understandable that the items garner their own value.

Even more interesting is that here, many of the people who ridicule the bootleg or variant values, are the same people who would be hard pressed to explain why they just paid hundreds if not thousands, to their own loved ones and others outside the circle of peers for what they say is "valuable" or "important".
josh fraser (Moderator)
I actually don't think anyone is seriously hating on the jumbo, but it might be more of a reaction to the fact that this particular market has just been swept up in a lot of self perpetuated hype, that the prices are really climbing, and this represents almost a slightly depressing thought that all these toys, no matter how obscure or even bootlegged are really getting outside most collector's ability to afford. People make fun, but perhaps there is an underlining uneasiness that is being expressed humorously by it.

Even you Sean, responded unfavorably to the price elsewhere, so I don't think it is something, no matter how rare, would be considered a jumbo most people would spend over 5k on. Even the machinder guys here who are hardcore to the highest degree did not feel it worth that much or else they would have bought it. Dave certainly did not. So in the end, I think most are shocked by it, and if a preview of things to come, certainly a lot of us will have to move on to something else, that has not been discovered yet. Who is anyone to judge what someone else finds valuable? We all buy things our toy peers might deem odd, though I think this is a paradigm shift much like when the Garada was won all those years ago. We were amazed the price of that, yet it has since then been eclipsed by other less rare items. Admittedly I know nothing about jumbos, but I feel this is a common issue among most of the food groups anyway.

Just my 2 cents

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2011 04:11AM by josh fraser.
Any chance this was a case of shill bidding gone bad, and that the item will show up again. Or did it go to a known collector and the final sale price is legit?
So let's recap:

It was suggested the auction was "bogus".
The buyer was called a "chump".
The toy was called a "piece of shit".
And even after I said the seller was legit, someone questions whether there is shill bidding involved.

Nice..

The toy has been paid for and shipped.

My only concern at this point is customs. As some of you know, getting the officials to keep their hands out of packages from Venezuela can be difficult. I know Josh was kidding about the drugs, but customs don't kid, so I hope there's no problem with it arriving safely for the buyer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2011 01:55PM by Nekrodave.
Hi.

My name is Michelle Mugno, the seller of the Yellow Mazinger. To left the things clear about the legit of the auction, that is totally legit. Buyer sent the payment for it and item was sent, unless what I see in my account is virtual reality and the payment I've sent for some purchases I did also was made by that virtual reality funds. Nothing fishy in this auction. Bidders are legit (also well known here).

Also, to finish it, I have another of this "piece"

Best regards

Michelle V. Mugno

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2011 02:00PM by mithrill.
josh fraser (Moderator)
mithrill Wrote:
> Hi.
>
> My name is Michelle Mugno, the seller of the
> Yellow Mazinger. To left the things clear about
> the legit of the auction, that is totally legit.
> Buyer sent the payment for it and item was sent,
> unless what I see in my account is virtual reality
> and the payment I've sent for some purchases I did
> also was made by that virtual reality funds.
> Nothing fishy in this auction. Bidders are legit
> (also well known here).
>
> Also, to finish it, I have another of this
> "piece"
>
> Best regards
>
> Michelle V. Mugno

Congrats! I am happy to hear all went well.
josh fraser (Moderator)
>
> My only concern at this point is customs. As some
> of you know, getting the officials to keep their
> hands out of packages from Venezuela can be
> difficult. I know Josh was kidding about the
> drugs, but customs don't kid, so I hope there's no
> problem with it arriving safely for the buyer.

Yeah seriously...even though I was kidding, Regan and I where discussing this last night. You have to wonder if there was a history of any jumbos being mules in the past as Dave has told me horror stories regarding the cut open of perfectly mint jumbos and boxes. I HOPE to hell it is fully insured and explained to customs in a note the expense of the toy and not to destroy it. I can't imagine how sad it would be to arrive cut open.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Nekrodave Wrote:
> Nice..

Yeah, I gotta admit some of the sentiments expressed in this thread have been pretty disappointing.

I totally get the frustration at being priced out of the hobby because prices are going up all over the map. That sucks and we're kinda helpless against it.

But what bugs the shit outta me is when people actually criticize the buyer for spending that much on a single toy (bootleg or not). Sure, it's a lot of money, but exactly how the fuck is spending $6k on one toy somehow MORE outrageous than ANY of the idiotic shit that we do or buy in this hobby???

Some of us have basements or attics packed wall to wall to ceiling with robot toys that existed before we were born. Some of us have the vast majority of these toys hermetically sealed in their boxes and crammed into crates or display cases. Some of us buy fucking coin-operated kiddie rides of our favorite cartoon characters. Look, we're ALL bat shit crazy. Thank the gods.

There's no way one dude is magically *more* insane than another just because he draws his line someplace another one of us can't or won't.
I could understand giving a buyer hell for paying too much if it was for a toy that already had a well-defined price structure and rate of availability. Pay $5000 for a Jumbo Poseidon and yeah, that's just ignorant because you didn't do your homework. But this toy is still a mystery to many collectors. It's possible that more may surface.... or we may never see another for sale again. It's a gamble on the part of the buyer.

josh fraser (Moderator)
I don't think there is a question in anyone's mind that we are all a little batshit crazy. ;-)

I feel it is just harder for some to digest that a bootleg toy cost almost $6000 is all. Everyone I spoke to was shocked... it is not a judgement of the buyer or the seller, just a hard pill for some to swallow, given many of us are not well versed in the realm of bootlegs.

None of the prices paid for any of our toys are based on anything but supply and emotion. The cause is subjective and personal, so I imagine the reactions will be as well. In a pc world, no one likes a negative reaction, but there are too many different personalities to have a "correct" one either ;-)
Sanjeev (Admin)
There are only four known to exist, right? $6k for one of four doesn't sound that outrageous...even if it's a boot.
josh fraser (Moderator)
What will be interesting is to see what the next one goes for, that will be most telling. ;-)
Sanjeev Wrote:
> There are only four known to exist, right? $6k for
> one of four doesn't sound that outrageous...even
> if it's a boot.

Okay, so then my Mighty Orbots boot (where only one is known to exist) should go for.... hmmm... hmmmm.... let me think about this.... ;)
My sincere apologies to MR. Mugno, and to you as well Dave, for my contribution to the negativity of the thread. I just think everyone is having a strong reaction to this sale simply based on the astronomical price being paid for something that everyone can't agree to, or wrap thier head around, as warranting. I hope this helps.

Story:

A queen piece from a 1930's Popeye plastic chess set emerges on Ebay. There are apparently two wealthy bidders, one who is trying to replace the one missing piece from his childhood set, the second desperate to replace a piece he secretly had stepped on belonging to his brother as a child. The single piece from what was originally a 5 cent toy for the complete set goes for $11,000.00 US. The rest of the Popeye collecting community shakes it's head as there are far more highly prized pieces within the collecting community that cost half, a quarter, a fifth, or less.

The winning bidder presents the toy to his brother on his birthday, a discussion ensues as to how he acquired the piece, and when they find out they were bidding against each other, both succumb to heart attacks and are found by the maid the next morning.

The point?

Heck, I'm surprised you're still reading one of my blah, blah, blah posts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2011 02:49AM by Supersentai.
H-man Wrote:
> Sanjeev Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > There are only four known to exist, right? $6k
> for
> > one of four doesn't sound that
> outrageous...even
> > if it's a boot.
>
> Okay, so then my Mighty Orbots boot (where only
> one is known to exist) should go for.... hmmm...
> hmmmm.... let me think about this.... ;)

If it were mine, Harvey, that Orbots piece would be one of the last-to-go pieces, like the 1/35 Legiosses, the 1/40 Orgusses, and all the 1/55 Takatoku valks. Maybe every year, you can take a picture of it in a new location with a handwritten sign that says, "Man, I'm so tired of owning this," and then post it here. Fan some five-dollar bills in front of it. Some gold jewelry, too.

I think that would be very classy, because that's what I'd do.

Oh, and I'll give you an Andrew Jackson for it. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2011 09:20PM by gingaio.
Kingboy D Wrote:
> Even stupid loose incomplete crap is going for way too much.

First of all, when I said "stupid loose incomplete crap", I was not referring to this. Just read back over my post and see how that could be misread. I was actually referring to the supposedly-cheap stuff I buy, like that Bullmark DZ MFV parts that I just lost out on ebay. Pretty pissed about that.

As to the other comments, I think you guys are taking this a little too personally. Sounds like you guys are a bit sensitive. Maybe you regret some large purchases yourselves?

(just kidding)

But anyway...

Sanjeev Wrote:
> There's no way one dude is magically *more* insane than another just because he draws his line someplace another one of us can't or won't.

... or buys broken kiddie ride-on coin ops. ;)
Sanjeev (Admin)
H-man Wrote:
> Okay, so then my Mighty Orbots boot (where only
> one is known to exist) should go for.... hmmm...
> hmmmm.... let me think about this.... ;)

I'LL TAKE IT! ;)

Kingboy D Wrote:
> First of all, when I said "stupid loose incomplete
> crap", I was not referring to this.

I, for one, didn't think you were. I get that one could argue that this hobby is going to hell because of the wild prices being paid these days. It's totally frustrating as hell. I just don't see the connection between that and a bootleg Jumbo selling for $6k...when it's a one of four and a completely public, transparent, and legitimate sale.

> ...Sounds like
> you guys are a bit sensitive.

I disagree. It's just that I've seen this attitude get outta hand many times before (skullbrain--though with modern toys). People start to resent the prices being paid, their sense of entitlement starts to get outta control...and it only snowballs. It's a chain reaction of escalating bitterness that sucks the fun out of a community...and I'll be fucking damned to see that happen here.

> Sanjeev Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > There's no way one dude is magically *more*
> insane than another just because he draws his line
> someplace another one of us can't or won't.
>
> ... or buys broken kiddie ride-on coin ops. ;)

Amen, brother! Hey, I made it a point to mention it, didn't I? :P
Although I'm not a huge fan of bashing someone for paying a lot, that bothers me less than the notion that somehow this toy is less worthy of a high dollar value just because it's a bootleg. Do people really think that an extremely rare vintage bootleg should be worth less than a common vintage licensed figure? It seems weirder to me to see people constantly paying high prices for toys that are pretty much always available (*cough*SG-01*cough*) than to break the bank one time for something that may be one shot opportunity.

Whether it's licensed vs bootleg, die-cast vs vinyl, Japanese vs American, modern vs vintage, whatever.. acting like the thing that someone else is passionate about is not worthwhile is something that all of us should know better than to do because as Sean mentioned, it's pretty likely that we've all been looked at weirdly for our respective collections at one point or another.... no matter what we collect!

Oh and quick points.. it's MR. Mugno, the only expensive purchases I regret are the ones I didn't make and that Mighty Orbots piece probably WOULD fetch a lot of money on the open market!

Sanjeev Wrote:

-------------------------------

> > There are only four known to exist, right?

Well, are 4 and 1/3. I had 2 complete (I still have 1 complete), 1 on Dave's collection (without pilder for the moments) and Juan Carlos Azpurua (figurasdeaccion) has 1 complete and only a head of other, like Count Brocken but without its body.

Supersentai Wrote:

-------------------------------

> > My sincere apologies to Ms. Mugno, and to you as well Dave, for my contribution to the negativity of the thread

I'm male. It's ok Supersentai no problem ;)

Best regards

Michell V Mugno

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2011 12:30AM by mithrill.
Sanjeev (Admin)
mithrill Wrote:
> like Count Brocken but without body.

LOL
And I want THEM ALL....LOL....
Sanjeev (Admin)
Nekrodave Wrote:
> Do
> people really think that an extremely rare vintage
> bootleg should be worth less than a common vintage
> licensed figure?

Or even if it's not that common, but still vastly more so 4-1/3! About three times more for a Spazer, but no one complains because it's licensed and it's a popular hero toy. It's just simple supply and demand for all this stuff. Supply is still there, but demand seems to be rising. Or something...

Case of demand in point: Cris! Who could blame you? ;)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer