A long hesitation come to an end

Posted by mikenozon 
Hello everybody.

Just wanted to share this with you. Even if I was only focusing on Jumbos for a long long time now, there was always a toy I wanted to get even if it was not a Jumbo. Maybe because he's one of the coolest toy in the world, maybe because he's one of my favorite Robot design, I've never decide myself to buy one until a few days ago. I went to a vintage toy shop not too far from my place, and there it was, standing on a shelf looking like new, perfect with the chrome super clean, no scratch, a super clean piece. Then the seller told me that he had the box cover, I was thinking that he was about to show me the Godaikin box but he came with the french version of it, super clean also. All the one I saw before where either the Japanese version either the american. So it was even more cool and this decided me to get it.

For the little story, it was purchased by a collector here in a local toy shop when it came out and was just removed from the box to be displayed for 25 years in a display case and the box cover was folded and put in storage until this collector decided to sell a part of his collection. Unfortunately he threw the styrofoam right after he purchase it. Too bad.

So this is probably one of my only step aside from the Machinder path but this thing is just a pure beauty and I'm super glad I've finally do this step. Well it's not a big step as he's almost as big as a Jumbo :))

[edited to embed images]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2011 03:27PM by Sanjeev.
Attachments:
open | download - T28_01.jpg (112.8 KB)
open | download - T28_04.jpg (130.7 KB)
open | download - T28_05.jpg (109.8 KB)
open | download - T28_07.jpg (185.7 KB)
wow, nice one mike!
didn't know that there is a "french version" of T28 out there.
have to keep my eyes open when I'm in france or belgium next time ;-)

-stephan
Sanjeev (Admin)
AWESOME...glad you scored this, Mike!

Couldn't go to a better home!
Appears to be partially molded in black? I'd love to get confirmation on the "Gucci SG-01"...never seen one myself, although the Daltanious pops up now and then. Congrats, this is a fantastic toy.
Congrats, Mike. It is an awesome toy. I'd only seen that box very recently in pics from a toy show in Italy. Really caught me by surprise as I'd never heard of it either. Very cool to have the more unique version.

"There's no Bigfoot in The Awakening." -James Bickert
MattAlt (Admin)
"Appears to be partially molded in black?"

That's actually what happens to the blue plastic as it ages. The Popy-manufactured versions tend to be more susceptible, but you can see the darkening on Godaikin versions as well.
Thanks a lot guys.

So, it looks a bit darker on the pictures, I need to make some with day light as the colors will come out a bit more. The draker blue parts are not so dark in fact. But yes like Matt is saying, the blue plastic tend to turn darker with ages. It's pretty hard to find one with the same blue color everywhere.

And for the box, like Dave I've discover it also recently and I really like it. There's still a little stickers from the shop where the guy buy it years ago. A shop where I was going also as a kid. That's just crazy. I'm missing the manual so I need to figure out how everything is working :))

Thanks again.
Freakin gorgeous. The multi-tone effect on the blue really complements it to me. Almost as if it were a giant weapon of war and some parts had been replaced after an exceptionally tough battle and didn't quite match the original finish.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
That makes sense. Is the discoloration accelerated by being exposed to light I wonder? Anyone got an SG-01 that's never been displayed?
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
Mike! I'm glad you made a decision. I don't think you will regret it. I can scan one of my manuals for you. LKM. E
Thanks a lot guys.
Well Erik, I would love to have a scan of the manual, but please don't rush for it, only if you have some time to do it.
I will be able to understand how everything works and not have the feeling I will brake it if I try something crazy.
josh fraser (Moderator)
Mike Parisi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That makes sense. Is the discoloration accelerated
> by being exposed to light I wonder? Anyone got an
> SG-01 that's never been displayed?

Mine has not. I know Warren has had his boxed for years. I will have to look and see.
I'm glad you guys finally admit euro toys are not bootlegs ;-)
I don't remember if my T28 has such color variations.
The instruction sheet is a B/W photocopy that is so far in term of quality and particulary when it is compared to the glossy catalog of the godaikin version
Re: darkening on T28:

I don't believe shielding from sunlight/uv will halt this. Could make it more (or even less) pronounced, though. All that's left is the styrofoam to have an effect - not that I'd imagine it would, but admittedly possible. Some kind of migration happening in the materials.

All things considered, rather that it darken than leach oil or crumble - it's too core-canon of a piece for that sad fate (see Hi Metal L-Gaim hands or Garbin knees).
Sanjeev (Admin)
Could it simply be time, rather than interaction with light or the styrofoam? Like, maybe it is leeching something...but at a super slow rate that ya can't tell. I'm just hoping that it's ONLY darkening the plastic--not making it brittle like other examples of Popy/Bandai blue plastic...
Not sure if it's the same with this, but a lot of plastic yellowing in my experience seems to be related to humidity levels. Too humid or too dry both seem to fuck things up.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
What a find! The French box design is a a marvel.
Thanks a lot. Yes this box is really wonderfull and I'm super happy with it. But the downside of all this is that I only have the box cover and need to find the styro, and this might take some time. Anyway, yes this box art is beautyfull, quite close to the japanese version but the orange color is great.
mikenozon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks a lot. Yes this box is really wonderfull
> and I'm super happy with it. But the downside of
> all this is that I only have the box cover and
> need to find the styro, and this might take some
> time. Anyway, yes this box art is beautyfull,
> quite close to the japanese version but the orange
> color is great.

Styro? What do you mean? The vacuformed internal accessories small blisters?
No no I have that one and the little guys. What I miss is the styrofoam or polystyrene, the whole inner part of the box actually. I just hope that some day, somebody will but one for sale on ebay or YJP, or a beat to hell box with the polystyrene, that would be just great.
Why not? Everything is possible, on YJP ;-)
Best of luck, dude !
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer