Takara X-Wing

Posted by gaiking123 
I was thinking of picking one of these up. Anyone have it? One of the more odd items in the world of vintage Japanese toys.

This also made me think about what if Popy had the license to make diecast Star Wars vehicles? I did have a few of the diecast Kenner released in the late seventies which were great but imagine if the PA series included Star Wars Vehicles? I would love to see a missile firing Slave-1 or landspeeder packed in styrofoam. Could have been awesome. Surprised someone isn't doing something like this now. I know this missile choking hazard probably stops it in the states but maybe in Japan?
MattAlt (Admin)
Takara didn't make any vehicles other than the X-Wing, but they did make a pair of diecast missile-firing (!) C-3P0 and R2-D2 toys. Beautiful stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2011 08:41PM by MattAlt.
Attachments:
open | download - C3P0.jpg (100.1 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Didn't they also make a Darth Vader, Matt? I seem to recall a figure with an articulated diecast endoskeleton with plastic figure bits around it. I think Mason has one...or at the very least, I recall seeing one at his place (maybe a Summit)...
Yes, there is a diecast Takara Darth, as well as the larger scale, RC controlled disc shooting R2D2. As well, there is a 3.5" 'walking' wind up R2D2. But wait, there's also the set of 4 highly coveted 6" carded sofubis: C3PO, Darth, Chewie, and Stoomtrooper (sic). Keep in mind that there are 2 different Takara XWings: the small missile firing version, and the larger, very cool but unfaithful to Lucas 'folding' XWing.

But alas, you are right: no Popinica style vehicles.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Dang, Mike, I'd never heard of the sofubi before...don't suppose you have any pics??? :D
I might be able to accommodate that. I'll check if Sansweet's stuff is still on display at the company store. Those particular items were in the window last time I looked, but I don't go up there much if I can help it.

-dylan
Here's a solid site dedicated to SW Japan stuff. Good pics of most of the items I mentioned....
[www.rebelscum.com]

mg
I recall back in the day discovering the Takara Star Wars plamo. Many of the kits were much better than the MPC releases, I still have the motorized R2-D2 kit, unbuilt.

I really, really dig a missile firing C-3PO. Would have been a real game-changer if he could do that in the movie!
It always bothered my that the large Takara x-wing had the wings facing backwards. Arrgh! Was that only on the package photos? Could they be reversed in play? The ability to reconfigure it into new ships was cool, kind of like the old West Bend (Milton Bradley) TMP Enterprise.

Also, what's the Japanese Tomy R2 in the upper right of this photo?:

These C-3P0 and R2-D2 toys are really cool ...i never saw it before.
Lemel, that's a Japanese Episode 2 toy. I forget the name of the game, but it's like Jenga, you pull sticks out of R2's body until the one sticking out of his head falls in. (I think.)
I have both takara x wings. I'll do a quick writeup in a few days.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer