Every Toy Nerd's Dream

Posted by gaiking123 
Me included. Anyway, my friend went to a thrift shop recently and the guy saw a Super Gobot on a shelf. It was priced okay at $25. It looked completely case fresh and asked him where he got it. He told him they found a case of these things and there were more in the back. My friend bought a few of them. When he told me this story I thought about how cool would it be if it were something more desirable like Jumbos or vintage Popy. Has this happened to any of you?

Although it was only Super Gobots, the Sky Arrows of the Gobot world, my friend was totally stoked and that dream of coming across a case of something valuable was felt for a little bit.

I sometimes have that dream but always wake up in the end.

PS: And the word "Valuable" means something desired, wanted, not how much you can get from the open market to those who are sensitive to that word. ;)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2010 07:15PM by gaiking123.
"The Sky Arrows of the Gobot world"...

When has that become the official moniker for common ass gokin that everybody has? There should be research done on this... why Mattel cranked out more Sky Arrows than Hot Wheels and yet, why the Popy version is relatively harder to find?
Could the popy version be htf cause mattel imported all of them over for the shoguns?
Many are the fantasies that I have about finding jumbos in thrift stores.
josh fraser (Moderator)
I found a MIB Dragun first edition Jumbo at Salvation Army years ago.
gaiking123 Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------
> I sometimes have that dream but always wake up in
> the end.
>

yeah, yeah
yeah, yeah>>>

You got a good memory lemei42. I did talk about this before. My friend finding that super gobot case made me revisit I guess. I actually instead thought I posted about a dream featuring Christina Hendrix. Now that I see what I posted before, it was probably somebody else.

Although I did get to meet her at a party recently but the dream I had featuring her was somewhat different.

Since that happened maybe instead of Jumbos, I can find something lesser at a thrift store, a case of Sky Arrows?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2010 04:45AM by gaiking123.
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
I once walked into an airplane storage unit (for cessnas) here in Nor Cal and found a stack of DYRL Valkeries and other random gokin and pla toys. Guy owned a gift shop back in the 80's with his ex wife. Took the old store stock after the divorce and parked it in a corner of the hanger. I bought it all.
I don't know if it's proper to mention Transformers on this forum, but I once found a peppermint fresh unopened Metroplex for $10 at a thrift store a few blocks from Fraser's house.

Thank you
True story. Happened to my best friend, and I've seen the toys and he was with his wife so it's totally legit.

Friend goes to Thrift Store to vist wife's friend at work.
Heads to the toy isle expecting nothing.
Looks up on shelf to see 2 Shogun Jumbo Boxes; Reideen and Dragun
Friend pulls down the boxes - they are tied together with a tag "3 0 0" and a colored sticker. He opens boxes and sees minty figures with axes, stars, instructions... the works. 100% complete.
He goes cautiously to his wifes friend (again who works there) and says - "are these 3 bucks?"
She looks at the tag and goes... Yup!

"For both or each?"

"Both."

"Oh and Tuesday is half-price day on anything with a color sticker, so it's only $1.50."

Without loosing his mind, he hands over two $1.00 bills, get's $.50 change, and walks out.

$.75 cents each.

Best. Deal. Evar.
^^^^

I've had some decent scores, but, ....(*falls on sword*----)
I guess you just never know what you may find but with the internet, probably much harder for things like that to happen.. I remember the Pony Toy Go-Round at the Yaohan mall in downtown LA in 1992 or 1993 or so had the Large size Mospeda Cyclone with Scott Bernard I think for $30 or so. Not sure how valuable it is now but I remember the lady working here telling me that's a good deal. I believe they had a case of those but I was drooling over the newly released VF-1S Armor Valkyrie by Bandai which was selling for $59,99. Unfortunately not much money back then, I did not buy either.

In about 1994, they had a bunch of 8-Chan Chogokins for sale on display in a glass case in front of their store. Thinking this was a new release and design for a hometown favorite, Robocon, my brother and I bought the three they had. Boxes weren't great but these were new MIB. This was all before EBAY or internet shopping so it waa a great find at the time. I really miss that place although almost 20 years ago and the Gunpla (which I admired but never bought). Something about going into a store and buying something, getting it right away without watiing for shipping made it great.

Apologiies in advance if I'm repeating myself with these stories..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2010 04:12AM by gaiking123.
josh fraser (Moderator)
Jake Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't know if it's proper to mention
> Transformers on this forum, but I once found a
> peppermint fresh unopened Metroplex for $10 at a
> thrift store a few blocks from Fraser's house.
>
>
> Thank you

How long ago was that Jake?

I got a Chokinzaku for free as a first prize for "Color in the Godaiken" contest at a Japanese toy store.

And a Takemi Pegas DX MIMB for 3 bucks.

Those were my best scores for the least amount.
josh fraser Wrote:

> How long ago was that Jake?

Ahhh.... Let's see, it was quite a while ago. Do you remember the store I am talking about? It was up near the intersection of rt. 18 and Park, across from the Blockbuster video.

Thank you
I remember when Pony cleared out the back room and were selling a pile of vintage Henshin Cyborgs and Jaguars for $8 each.
That was good!
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
josh fraser Wrote:
> Jake Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I don't know if it's proper to mention
> > Transformers on this forum, but I once found a
> > peppermint fresh unopened Metroplex for $10 at
> a
> > thrift store a few blocks from Fraser's house.
> >
> >
> > Thank you
>
>
> How long ago was that Jake?
>
>
> I got a Chokinzaku for free as a first prize for
> "Color in the Godaiken" contest at a Japanese toy
> store.
>
> And a Takemi Pegas DX MIMB for 3 bucks.
>
>
> Those were my best scores for the least amount.

you mean "ChokinZOKU"??
Anonymous User
Few weeks ago, a friend of mine and his wife found a handful of old store stock Takara Kronoform toys - Wargon, Gats Blocker, and others - and a Gakken Mospeada large-size ride armor - at a thrift store for $5 a pop, all minty and new. He picked 'em up and flipped 'em. Flipped the Ride Armor to me for $50. No complaints here...!
Your buddy already sell off the rest, AcroRay?

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
I know this is changing subjects but I'm on the fence about this. Thoughts on people who go to shops or online find things cheaper and flipping them quickly for a profit? I know some get really annoyed at this and some see this just as the way capitalism works. Thoughts?
Anonymous User
Yes. It was only about 4 - 6 items, but still a nice score.
josh fraser (Moderator)
Jake Wrote:
> josh fraser Wrote:
>
> > How long ago was that Jake?
>
>
> Ahhh.... Let's see, it was quite a while ago. Do
> you remember the store I am talking about? It was
> up near the intersection of rt. 18 and Park,
> across from the Blockbuster video.
>
> Thank you

Yeah I do remember that place. Wow that was a while back. Nice score. ;-)
josh fraser (Moderator)
gaiking123 Wrote:
> I know this is changing subjects but I'm on the
> fence about this. Thoughts on people who go to
> shops or online find things cheaper and flipping
> them quickly for a profit? I know some get really
> annoyed at this and some see this just as the way
> capitalism works. Thoughts?

If you buy it, it is yours to do with as you want. Pretty simple. You are comparing economics and morality, and that is a slippery slope with no clear answer and pages and pages of clever bantering among bored aging man children. Myself included.

Your first topic was more fun.
Last year, I was able to pass along some good deals on a couple Godaikins.
I'd gone into a small, low rent mall, where in a hobby store on one floor, there I spied a used Daltanias boxed set buried on a shelf with old R/C car stuff, picked it up. A comic shop in the same mall, I got talking to the regular storekeeper about the Godaikins, 80s robots etc., and he mentions he's got a reissue Soltic Dougram set right there, and has some Godaikns in storage. A week later, I go back, and he's got an excellent NM, Daltanias, and Gardian sets. Let them go at a steal too.

All these stories, and I'm sure there's still more to come. I'm surprised the Godaikin Score of 98 hasn't come up again, haha.
No, the stashes have NOT been all found, and as times are tight, more people will start rethinking random stuff that's been dumped/piled/stashed forever, especially non-collectors.
Happy Hunting!
Sanjeev (Admin)
So true...there's been some case-fresh Godaikins on eBay as of late. Amazing stuff. Going for amazing prices, too! ;)
There was a case mint Sun Vulcan that was BIN 300$ I skipped on. Very much regret it now.
josh fraser (Moderator)
I found an unopened POPY chogokin shipping box at a fleamarket like 20 years ago.

Deadstock, complete Robocon series, Mach baron and Getta Robo G set, as well as the complete run of 1st edition Go Ranger team.

I bought the box for 40 bucks. I collected tin at the time and so sold them off one by one to a dealer a couple years later and certainly regret the choice. The mach baron box was unopened and heartbreaking. The Robocon set, well, that was something to see.

Still have dreams about it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2010 08:17PM by josh fraser.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer