Most Painful Auctions You've Lost

Posted by tomf 
That Bullmark Set looks cool but to me more like a lego set than a walking tin or a chogokin type toy. Good price though for whoever got it.

Also never seen those boxed vinyls before. Shows how much I really know about Japanese Toys. Thought I knew a lot about this hobby as a whole but obviously a novice when it comes to 3K plus stuff like that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2010 12:02PM by gaiking123.
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
> Uncle Warren and I were battling the high bidder
> for an hour and a half to no avail at the end. The
> high bidder was just too persistent. Sad
> morning for sure.
>
> ;-)

Sad that UW didn't win this as I know how totally bad he was fiending for them. BUT, keep in mind the HEAVIEST hitter in the Japanese toy world won, and as you know he's got $$$$ to burn...
Anonymous User
Anavel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You need an account to view closed yja auctions
> now?

Never mind.. Some junk on the end of the URL needed to be removed.
mcfitch (Admin)

That Bullmark Set looks cool but to me more like a lego set than a walking tin or a chogokin type toy.

That's because that's what it is.
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
josh fraser Wrote:

>
>
>
> Uncle Warren and I were battling the high bidder
> for an hour and a half to no avail at the end. The
> high bidder was just too persistent. Sad
> morning for sure.
>
> ;-)

Shades of Duban's archenemy: BIDDER 2000!!
Did not even know this was on auction.

[cgi.ebay.com]

The rarer yellow version. Congrats to whoever got it.
josh fraser (Moderator)
Erik Sjoen Wrote:
> > Uncle Warren and I were battling the high
> bidder
> > for an hour and a half to no avail at the end.
> The
> > high bidder was just too persistent. Sad
> > morning for sure.
> >
> > ;-)
>
>
> Sad that UW didn't win this as I know how totally
> bad he was fiending for them. BUT, keep in mind
> the HEAVIEST hitter in the Japanese toy world won,
> and as you know he's got $$$$ to burn...

Funnily enough Warren has all of them already, he just wanted to upgrade his boxes. Yeah I did not know who we were bidding against until after.
i was slightly surprised by an auction a little while ago for a takatoku nihonmaru. i was bidding but the sucker went for over 50,000 JPY. i was bummed that it traded away, but more shocked by the trade price. i am happier now, that i was able to pick one up for much less in better condition.

Does anyone have any near misses that actually turned out to be good for them down the line?
bt1
Actually, that just happened to me recently.

Was pissed that I lost this:

[page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp]

Didn't think I would see another in any condition for quite some time. Then found this BIN

[cgi.ebay.com]

First one was obviously more complete and I would have loved it - but considering commission and exchange rates, I'm happy with the price vs. condition for the one I got - at least the treads are in tact on this one.
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
Holy Moses Bill!! What an awesome score. Congrats on this.
This one is a must have for vintage Bullmark vinyl collectors

[page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp]

I really wanted this one. One of my personal holy grails. Price might have gone pretty high in spite of not being in the best condition. This one went more that the Morphy Gigan which I believe was much better condition-wise.

[page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp]
josh fraser (Moderator)
> I really wanted this one. One of my personal holy
> grails. Price might have gone pretty high in spite
> of not being in the best condition. This one went
> more that the Morphy Gigan which I believe was
> much better condition-wise.
>
> [page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp]
> 54918

I think the factor is this tin is actually somewhat rarer than the Gigan, and that the box despite having a tear was in good shape compared to the others that have come up for sale. That tin goes for more on a good day and if the toy had no issues condition wise. The only other that is rarer is the SAN Ultra 7.

Despite being desirable, the Gigan is actually not as rare as people first thought. I have seen quite a few since Morphey's. Not so much with this Ultra tin. Plus keep in mind the I believe the SAN tins came before the Bullmarks and represent some of the earliest incarnations of the characters in tin form.
<<<Despite being desirable, the Gigan is actually not as rare as people first thought. I have seen quite a few since Morphey's. Not so much with this Ultra tin. Plus keep in mind the I believe the SAN tins came before the Bullmarks and represent some of the earliest incarnations of the characters in tin form.>>>>

Yeah, that definitely brings up a point to keep in mind when collecting. We really have no idea how rare items are. We can only base it on what we see being sold on Ebay, YHJ or in the possession of a collector who is part of this community. For example, that Bullmark Tin Windup Leo started showing up a lot everywhere last year. Now, I haven't seen one in about a year. There may be many collectors we don't know with these items. I have been collecting for 13 years at least but tins just recently. I wasn't keeping track of tins being sold so can only base things on hearsay and what I've seen.

I did want to take a crack at the Marusan Ultraman. I was already thinking what items from my collection I needed to part with to make enough money to get it and how long I would have to be eating nothing but ramen. Due to the rust, not working perfectly and the box, the price was just too high for me. I thought I might hold out for a better one which may or may not ever be put on sale. Funny how according to the seller this one in particular was found in a toy shop not a toy collector's shop . I wonder if that means he found it for super cheap. I remember auctionista putting one up on Ebay in 2009 probably from Yahoo Japan. I seem to recall it being in better shape than this one. I think he wanted $18,000 but not sure how much that it really went for on YHJ since I wasn't following things as closely. I have no doubt that Marusan Ultraman is super rare but I also attribute the high price to the character being one of the most popular in Japan. Ugh. I really want one of these! To me, Ultraman is what Gaiking is to many of you in this community.
Slept on this one. Not most painful by any means, but would have been fun to have around.
[page5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp]
-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2011 11:23AM by Kingboy D.
Agreed, Myles, on the sentiment that there are much bigger things to deal with in Japan than toy auctions.
I just figured I'd post something goofy and light to yap about, in addition to all the proper concern, and actions we should show. Amidst the crazy, even our friends in parts of Japan are cracking jokes. It's part of what we do for stress relief I guess.

About the Yahoo Auctions in general, one side of that coin, is that after the initial time of shock, and recovery, making some sales may help those putting them up for bid, though I'm cautious too.
If I had to put some stuff up to help myself and family recover some extra expenses from an emergency, I'd be glad for anyone who'd bid my stuff, toys, or whatever else.
Toy auctions are a minor thing, and not likely to fund an entire home rebuild, but every bit can help.
-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2011 11:23AM by Kingboy D.
Hey! Put your posts back up! They were good, and needed. =0)
I hate it when I miss stuff.
I am crushed and defeated, having lost this.

[cgi.ebay.com]

I was so looking forward to having an astro mu head to customize with. Even in pieces, he eludes me.
Ironic that an arm and a leg would cost an arm and a leg...you know, in Japan, the streets are littered with Astromu parts...
That's just it! I was figuring I could sell off the arms and legs and just keep the head for custom work.

kurukuru Wrote:
> Ironic that an arm and a leg would cost an arm and
> a leg...you know, in Japan, the streets are
> littered with Astromu parts...
josh fraser (Moderator)
Sadly I remember when MIB of these where 150-200 a pop. Great toy.

As a side, lets try for screen shots and not direct links from now on. Same issues with YHJ, that similar auctions are linked now.

Thanks.
I was going to bid on a lot that was on Ebay.uk once. However, the seller only wanted to ship to a UK address. So through a friend's friend I managed to organize an address in the UK. I proceeded dutifully to update my account info with said address. Then I thought I was set.

The auction was in its final moments and the max bid I had in mind was way above the highest bid shortly before the auction ended. Then I placed my bid... only to be told that I was not able to bid since I had stupidly forgotten to set my new UK address as my primary shipping address. Classic rookie mistake. Obviously, with only seconds to go, I couldn't change my account info and the lot was gone. For a fraction of what I had been willing to pay.

Well, win some, lose some.
This story sounds familiar to me Rob! :-D
Had the same experience with an auction on ebay.com...holy shit...adios mint Ark Baltan in jap. box....
I'll say it once, and I'll say it a million times...it never hurts to assume that although the sale bid was lower than you would have offered, that the buyer's bid was still equal to or higher than you would have bid. Being that you'll never know, it's helped me get past the few auctions I've flubbed for various reasons over the years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2011 02:39PM by Supersentai.
You are absolutely right Supersentai...but nevertheless, it hurts...a bit ;-)
And so just last week I was jonesing to bid on an original medicom rah doll of akira kaneda, that ltd edition one, just 300 pieces, released at one of the superfests in '00 or '01. Ten minutes till auction end at it's just 15k, roughly a fifth of what it sold for in the akira hype days a decade past. I had seen the doll beofe: amazing detail, accuracy, and perfect to scale. And ina sealed box, to boot. I get up an hour early before work, take my shower, sit down with my bowlio of cheerios, only to see that the inet connection is down....I'm hustling to troubleshoot, fail, decide to go the phone route, then have to scramble to get my YHJ login entered...and miss the sob by, maybe, a minute. It ends at 17k, and I probably won't see another for a year. Certainly not sealed and at that price....I'm not a huge akira fan, but this was a definitive piece, and one that depicts the film, the manga, and the era so well. Moral of tale: tis better to stink and win than never to have loved at all. Bid first, shower second.
If that was the one I won, I actually had bid 75,000 yen on it. Was suprised nobody even challenged me on it. See, now you don't feel so bad...right?
Dude! Well then, congrats on getting a very cool toy atan awesome price. Moreso than the value is the effort in trying to find the akira.
I've only seen 4 of them for sale, and this the first at less than a grand.
You better enjoy, and post some pix when you get it opened and displayed.
Ps. I got dibs on the next one...mos def a worthy grail...
Supersentai Wrote:
> If that was the one I won, I actually had bid
> 75,000 yen on it.

That's a huge difference from the actual final bid, and from what could have been if kurukuru had foregone his shower. Wow. Now I do feel better about some of the auctions I've lost.

The seller would be gnashing his teeth if he knew.
But I am still pissed about the guy who bid up and won the pair of vintage bandai rainbowman giant size sofubi. I cut out when the bidding got too high, but we went back and forth for 40 minutes nickel and diming. Great vinyls, but whaddya gonna do...rent out the bathroom to cover the toy habit??
Sorry, didn't check for a few days. I hope you know that I was kidding when I said I was the winner of that auction. I keep forgetting that Ebay doesn't show the winning bidder anymore (or do they on UK?).

Was just trying to make you feel better. Anyway, you're not BIG into Akira anyway, so I hope that mitigates the "painful" aspect of missing the auction.

Can't tell you how many times I track something starting at 99 cents on Ebay that is easily worth twenty to thirty bucks, then forget to bid on it, wait for the relist, then it goes for the full amount or more. The only reason I would purchase something that is a great value is if I know I can turn it around for at least $40 or more in profit, otherwise it's hard to justify risking getting stuck with something or breaking even.
Hey, get a smartphone. You can auction from the crapper.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Speaking for myself, I personally have a rule about bringing appliances into the house that later might possibly outsmart me or consider me a future source of renewable energy.
Really? Nobody bit on that set-up?

Was expecting the obligatory "so, you must not have any toasters or popcorn poppers in your house, eh?"...
Supersentai Wrote:
> Really? Nobody bit on that set-up?
>
> Was expecting the obligatory "so, you must not
> have any toasters or popcorn poppers in your
> house, eh?"...

As a man who was once outsmarted by an antique doorknob, I recuse myself.
I still bid by aluminum can and string. My parcels are delivered by Pony Express YuBin.
kurukuru Wrote:
> Great vinyls, but whaddya gonna
> do...rent out the bathroom to cover the toy
> habit??

For a while, the bathroom was a storage area cause I was too cheap to rent space. Took showers at the gym etc. Not for vintage, but for unrelated crap I was selling on the side...
Sanjeev (Admin)
Haha...you're giving me ideas. Dangerous ones... :P
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer