Most Painful Auctions You've Lost

Posted by tomf 
that gokaidragoan grendizer thing is cool. unfortunately i do not collect bootlegs. I try to stay away no matter how cool it is in order to reduce bootlegging as much as possible (not that one consumer matters).

THe bioman playset is cool, but you can get all the component pieces for much less. The boxd set to get that is cool is the changeman set that turns into a playset base for the toy. That is worth getting.
So, one of my favorite bootlegs ever shows up on ebay. You know the one:

Sanjeev tips me off to it. I cry with happiness, I bid, I lose. Then, I see another resurface today. My momentary joy fades to bepuzzlement as I realize this is the same toy from the same seller. However, not all is well. The shipping price jumps from 30 to 60, and beneath the starting price, the dreaded words: RESERVE NOT MET.

The seller explains to me that the winning bidder flaked out. Not only did I lose the auction, but the jerk I lost it to didn't even bother to pay, thus driving up the cost of the re-listing beyond my means to try to WIN IT AGAIN AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGHGAHGAHG
Nekrodave .. i know somone who has a Grengus C3 box to sell in HK but the price is very high..
I think I may have heard about that. Way outta my league right now. Hell, just about any legit Machinder items are outta my league now. :(

Thanks anyway, though..

"There's no Bigfoot in The Awakening." -James Bickert
What condition is the C3 box?
josh fraser (Moderator)
I HATE finding boxes, passing on them because I don't have the toy and then seeing the toy a month later.

Then realizing I could have bought both for cheaper than if they were together.

This has happened to me 3 times. You would have think I would have learned my lesson.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2010 06:34PM by josh fraser.
Great box for a very rare toy popped up last week. This week the toy appears, but not in good condition. If I had won the box last week, I would have passed on the toy that's avail now and waited for a better specimen.
josh fraser (Moderator)
The last time this happened to me was for a zaboga tin walker. The walker went for 300 bucks a I slept through the auction...then the box shows up a month later.

Yeah it is nuts we spend that kind of money on cardboard. ;-/
You mean it's nuts that YOU spend that kind of money on cardboard. :)

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Oh, he ain't alone! I'm sure that if I had a toy worth anywhere in the four-figure range, I'd be willing to throw down $300 on the box. The way I see it, if I'm willing to pay that much for the toy anyway, I probably love it enough to want as "perfect" (in my eyes anyway) a specimen as possible...and that definitely includes having the box.
josh fraser (Moderator)
Sanjeev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh, he ain't alone! I'm sure that if I had a toy
> worth anywhere in the four-figure range, I'd be
> willing to throw down $300 on the box. The way I
> see it, if I'm willing to pay that much for the
> toy anyway, I probably love it enough to want as
> "perfect" (in my eyes anyway) a specimen as
> possible...and that definitely includes having the
> box.

Um...dude you have a toy worth 5 figures. And the box is worth more than my most expensive toy I own.
josh fraser (Moderator)
Actually I am going through this right now...

I lost something I really wanted, and then put the money towards something else, and the original item shows up again for a BIN price because the first buyer bailed.

Ugh...
Sanjeev (Admin)
josh fraser Wrote:
> Um...dude you have a toy worth 5 figures. And the
> box is worth more than my most expensive toy I
> own.

I know...but I already have the box for it. C'mon, Joshy, keep up! :P

I'm saying, for example, if I had a boxless toy that was worth around, say, a grand, I'd likely throw down $300 to pick up the box. A grand worth of toy-love is worth a 1/3 of that more to box it up!

But back to the topic, honestly, I've been going after mostly not-so-rare stuff these days...so I haven't lost much painfully. Oh, I've lost fairly...but those items simply went for more than what I was willing to pay.

Thing is, I've had a few painful auctions I've won. With the exchange rate, I sometimes fear looking at my Tokyo Buyers bill!
...the feeling, when I look at the TokyoBuyers Bill, sounds
familiar to me Sanjeev ;-)
I think I've now pulled the "buy loose toy first, then buy box with incomplete toy"-trick twice now.

First on a Da-Garn Ga-Orn, and then on a Strike Valkyrie.

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
Personally, I'm all about the box these days. It's half the battle for me. I still can't believe Jeev's got a toy worth 5 figs... Yowwwwwzaaahhh!!!
josh fraser (Moderator)
My stomach dropped a bit this morning.

The very rare toy I was talking about , that I lost, which showed up for a BIN because the first buyer dropped the ball, just sold to another collector.

I have double the regret now. Haha. And the smaller auction I was bidding on , I clean forgot about and lost for less than 1% over my max.

Must keep my resolve though. ;-/
josh fraser (Moderator)
This has been the worst month ever in my years of collecting.

7 lost auctions.... 3 of which I will NEVER find again. Ugh.

The worst is when you think you won an auction, and you find the item got sold while you were negotiating for additional photos.
josh fraser (Moderator)
Ginrai Wrote:
> You mean it's nuts that YOU spend that kind of
> money on cardboard. :)

I am not the only one. And yes this is one of the major ones I lost attached below..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2010 03:54PM by josh fraser.
Attachments:
open | download - t28.jpg (163.3 KB)
Anonymous User
whats in the box?
josh fraser (Moderator)
Anavel Wrote:
> whats in the box?

Air. The auction was for the box.
Anavel Wrote:
> whats in the box?

Pain.

[www.youtube.com]
Josh,

I was hoping to be able to tell you that I had seen the item you'd missed out on before and that you would probably be able to find it again, but man, I think you are right. I'm not sure if that is even in the B/W T-28 book. Wow. That's some box.
josh fraser (Moderator)
No, that box has only shown up twice. Once with the toy, and last week by itself.

The toy sold for 16,700,000 yen. I did not add a zero, about $19,923.

The box was about a hundred bucks with a day to go. I bid my max. But it became a bidding war between some high rollers. Oh well.

7k for a box is pretty nutty.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well, "nutty" compared to what? If it's only shown up twice, that's some serious desirability right there! My knowledge of tin is obviously limited, but have boxes for members of the gang of five gone for comparable amounts (I would wager so)? Or, put another way, have any character tin boxes, alone, broken the $20k mark?

And remember, if something goes for $20k, that means at least two people were willing to spend around that much! So "nutty" or not, teh MARKET don't lie!

[Oh, and I think you did add a zero: 16.7M yen=$200k.]
There was just an auction up for a double complete set of shinsei ufo commanders. Starting bid: fifty big ones. While it was a miracle that I was the only one who bid, it wasn't much of a surprise that the seller didn't want me to prevail.
josh fraser (Moderator)
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Well, "nutty" compared to what? If it's only shown
> up twice, that's some serious desirability right
> there! My knowledge of tin is obviously limited,
> but have boxes for members of the gang of five
> gone for comparable amounts (I would wager so)?
> Or, put another way, have any character tin boxes,
> alone, broken the $20k mark?
>
> And remember, if something goes for $20k, that
> means at least two people were willing to spend
> around that much! So "nutty" or not, teh MARKET
> don't lie!
>
> did add a zero: 16.7M yen=$200k.]

Haha...I only said "nutty" so I seemed less psycho. I actually am surprised it did not go for more...this is the Garada of boxes.

Remember who you are preaching to man. :)
Pssh. That's just an old shoe box for some old T28 kiddie skippies. ;)

Seriously, thanks so much for sharing here. I gotta save more pics and share the burn sometime.
Sanjeev (Admin)
josh fraser Wrote:
> Remember who you are preaching to man. :)

Hehe...no doubt. We're all going to hell together! :P

And, yeah, I gathered that this was the Garada Jumbo of boxes. Well, character tin boxes, I presume...
> What's in the box?

[www.youtube.com]
josh fraser (Moderator)
Dammit, Mike and Fraser....those were EXACTLY the 2 videos that popped into my head before I even clicked on the links.

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
josh fraser (Moderator)
*sigh*
Whoa is me.
Hope someone here got that set. Very cool.
[cgi.ebay.com]
I watched that auction too Jon.
But I really didn't know if I "need" that set,
because I had no clue how to display all that stuff.

But I think it makes lots of fun to "play" with it ;-)
My Astromyu dream lot went for a decent 2 week vacation of scuba in SE Asia.
damn! I love the evil Badou but couldn't throw down!
Methinks Uncle Warren was in on this gig...

[page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp]
josh fraser (Moderator)
kurukuru Wrote:
> My Astromyu dream lot went for a decent 2 week
> vacation of scuba in SE Asia.
> damn! I love the evil Badou but couldn't throw
> down!
> Methinks Uncle Warren was in on this gig...
>
> [page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp]
> 88743?notice=obid

Uncle Warren and I were battling the high bidder for an hour and a half to no avail at the end. The high bidder was just too persistent. Sad morning for sure.

;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2010 09:11AM by josh fraser.
Anonymous User
You need an account to view closed yja auctions now?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer