Do Popy Jumbo machinder add-on weapons work on US Shogun warriors?

Posted by jacksauce 
I'm seeing some awesome popy machinder weapon extras out there, and I'd like to get one... but will it fit on, say, a US godzilla jumbo shogun?
Yeah they fit on the US Shoguns. Not really on Godzilla.
These fists, weapons etc are made for the robot guys.
I pimped up my Shogu Warriors Mazinga with this one here, a Scranble Dash.

...also have a few fist and other stuff to give my jumbos more firepower ;-)

I could probably still saw off godzilla's non-missile arm to give him the water canon, right? I really want him to have that water canon.

Those fists are really beautiful. All the machinder accessories are just wondrous.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2010 04:39PM by jacksauce.
jacksauce Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I could probably still saw off godzilla's
> non-missile arm to give him the water canon,
> right? I really want him to have that water
> canon.
>

Or better yet, remove his missile firing fist (and send it to me for my fist-lacking toy)!

Actually, I kinda dig the idea of adding a water canon to Godzilla. Its kind of like the initial step to converting him to MechaG!
MattAlt (Admin)
"I could probably still saw off godzilla's non-missile arm to give him the water canon, right? I really want him to have that water canon."

With a hacksaw and duct tape anything's possible! Send pix when you're done.

That US Godzilla is a strange one. It doesn't even share anything in common with the JAPANESE Godzilla Jumbo, let alone the robots.

MattAlt Wrote:
> "I could probably still saw off godzilla's
> non-missile arm to give him the water canon,
> right? I really want him to have that water
> canon."
>
> With a hacksaw and duct tape anything's possible!
> Send pix when you're done.
>
> That US Godzilla is a strange one. It doesn't even
> share anything in common with the JAPANESE
> Godzilla Jumbo, let alone the robots.
>
> [www.clubtokyo.org]
> igureJumboSet.jpg

See, this is the stuff that makes me crazy. Why hasn't someone living in California actually gone to Mattel and asked about this stuff? There's a nice little book waiting to be written about the genesis of Shogun Warriors and all this, and nobody is even trying!

I think it's entirely possible that the Shogun Godzilla was actually crafted and made by Mattel, and the Popy 'talking' Godzi was modified from the American tooling. After all, the fear of reverse importation wasn't anything like today, it's not logical that Bandai/Popy would modify the tooling so heavily for the American release, and it's not logical that Mattel would spend the money to modify the tooling when the point of Shogun Warriors was basically 'turn-key toys' i.e. simply repackaging existing Japanese product.

And yes, I do know that work was done on various Jumbos to remove parts to make them cheaper to produce. That's a tad different than redoing the entire sculpt of Godzilla.

And then there's Rodan, again original sculpt by Mattel, As far as we know.

(And then there's Rodan...wasn't that the theme to a TV show in the early '70s?)

Won't someone take up the task and find this stuff out, for sure and forever? Why hasn't August Ragone or someone jumped on this?
> Won't someone take up the task and find this stuff
> out, for sure and forever? Why hasn't August
> Ragone or someone jumped on this?

From what I understand, Godzilla trademark rights were a very strange thing. The signature roar was apparently a separate trademark from the monster, for example. So it's possible that mattel didn't have rights to godzilla's likeness, just the name. This is not, in fact my research, but the wisdom of the Nostradomatron, which one may find here:

[pleasesavemerobots.blogspot.com]

Either way, I much prefer the US godzilla to his popy counterpart. He's just so much funkier. I can much sooner see him with a water canon than his popy brother. My goal for shogunzilla is to give him the ability to wield any machinder accessory, and carve out his chest and put in a network of working gears, like Roboto.
MattAlt (Admin)
"Why hasn't someone living in California actually gone to Mattel and asked about this stuff? "

I have spoken at length with people in Mattel's archives (years back) and anyone I can get my hands on who was involved with Popy (more recently) and let me tell you, there is not a whole lot of "institutional memory" about this stuff. The only way the stories behind the scenes are going to get out is if someone can somehow track down the individuals who were involved in making the decisions, and given that thirty-odd years have passed, that isn't an easy task. For example, there is most definitely no archive of information about Godaikin stuff at Bandai today (they had to ask ME to borrow the T-28, remember?) These places are run as businesses, not museums...

"I think it's entirely possible that the Shogun Godzilla was actually crafted and made by Mattel, and the Popy 'talking' Godzi was modified from the American tooling."

I don't think so. There isn't a shared bit between the two of them. They are completely different toys with completely different features and markets.
MattAlt (Admin)
" My goal for shogunzilla is to give him the ability to wield any machinder accessory, and carve out his chest and put in a network of working gears, like Roboto."

This sounds seriously demented and I eagerly await pics when you are done!
Awesome! This could be like a Jumbo version of the Bullpet Gigan. HEY, why didn't they make one of those, anyway?
MattAlt Wrote:
> "Why hasn't someone living in California actually
> gone to Mattel and asked about this stuff? "
>
> I have spoken at length with people in Mattel's
> archives (years back) and anyone I can get my
> hands on who was involved with Popy (more
> recently) and let me tell you, there is not a
> whole lot of "institutional memory" about this
> stuff. The only way the stories behind the scenes
> are going to get out is if someone can somehow
> track down the individuals who were involved in
> making the decisions, and given that thirty-odd
> years have passed, that isn't an easy task. For
> example, there is most definitely no archive of
> information about Godaikin stuff at Bandai today
> (they had to ask ME to borrow the T-28, remember?)
> These places are run as businesses, not
> museums...

I do understand that, recall I keep bringing up the ultra mysterious appearance of the Garada Jumbo at the now-closed Bandai Museum.

From other areas and other people I have the impression that Mattel DOES have a reasonably decent 'historical' archive. It may be it's only focused on some key trademarks however.

As to Bandai, well, you know me. I think the default "it can't be helped!!" answer arises too quickly and people are unwilling to hit the deep document storage. For example, has anyone asked the questions to the senior staff at Bandai America? Who was in charge pre-Power Rangers boom? that's the man you want.

But effort needs to be made, and soon. Too much time is passing, too many people have probably died.

Often it's a simple matter of someone talking to someone at the right place, asking just the right question and following that up. One of the major frustrations in Star Blazers fandom is knowing that the key production companies and staff that actually created the show, the re-writers and editors ADR director, the people at Claster, all gone. Voice actors? we have a handful of people found but many key players still a mystery.

So does it matter? Does anyone give a rat's ass how Shogun Warriors came into being? Was it triggered by the Jim Terry Force Five announcement or maybe the insane love for Toei Robots in Italy and France might have tripped Mattel's wire? Was it simply a case of Bandai dumping deadstock on Mattel for stupid cheap?

I dunno, I'd sure like to know. I think a book on this could move 10 k units or more. Heck, package it with a replica Chogokin Gaiking like Chronicle Books has done with other licenses.

>
> "I think it's entirely possible that the Shogun
> Godzilla was actually crafted and made by Mattel,
> and the Popy 'talking' Godzi was modified from the
> American tooling."
>
> I don't think so. There isn't a shared bit between
> the two of them. They are completely different
> toys with completely different features and
> markets.

So, they thought enough of the license to invest in original tooling? wow. That's pretty damn significant you know. It's not like they re-purposed the Major Matt Mason 'Captain Lazer' figure...again. :)
Another question: Do any jumbos have two detachable arms, so they can equip two of their amazing accessories? I want a jumbo daltanious with a rainbow laser and a boulder missile fist.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Coop has blessed Skullbrain with some gorgeous pics...
[www.skullbrain.org]
TRANSCRIPT FROM THE 423RD COMMITTEE ON MACRO-ROBOTIC DEFENSE

Science Man A: This is going to be the best one yet.

Science Man B: What are you doing here? You've been fired.

Science Man A: Just hear me out. This will make up for Osaka.

Science Man B: You made a canon that shoots boulders as big as Osaka. And now there's no Osaka.

Science Man A: There will be when you see what I've done.

Science Man B: Security!

Science Man A: It's a giant golf club! It attaches to the arm module like so.

Science Man B: That makes up for the millions dead. Security!

Science Man A: And the club shoots out cars! Red ones! Race cars! The Americans will buy millions of them!
Attachments:
open | download - 1.jpg (168.3 KB)
open | download - 2.jpg (159.8 KB)
MattAlt
" My goal for shogunzilla is to give him the ability to wield any machinder accessory, and carve out his chest and put in a network of working gears, like Roboto."

This sounds seriously demented and I eagerly await pics when you are done!

Hi

I made an adapter for the Mattel godzilla that will accept all the different fists and accesories of the shoguns.
You can see the pictures here
[www.facebook.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Badass!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer