[BROG] GunDAMN these sofubi rock!!

Posted by Erik Sjoen 
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
Oh yeah baby! Hurts so good.

[toyboxdx.com]

Discuss, or not.
For some reason, I just never though much about Clover making stupid rubber robots. Always just took them for the ultimate in Disco Diecast, Bow-chikka-wow-wow...

Sets with goofy roleplay accessories are always the eye candy. Speaking of candy, those sets probably were holiday releases, kinda like the basket sets w/ toys & candy each spring here.
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
Yes. Clover did some really nice (crappy) stuff. The Zanbot stuff in particular I like. Although, the Daiojya and Tryder standard sized vinyls are just totally fantastic looking. The Gundams with noses are above all my favorite clover sofubi though. Totally lame.
mcfitch (Admin)
Is that a missile launching pocket watch in the carded set?
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
Holy shit! I think it is..
MattAlt (Admin)
"What time is it?"
"GUNDAM TIME!"
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
"STOP!"
"GUNDAMN TIME!"

Que McHammer.
Is he related to McFitch?

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Nah, Mason's pants are WAY baggier.

"Pardon, do you have the time young feller?
"Why soit'nly, lookee right here."
KA-Pwing!
"Ow, my eye!"
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
Speaking of gundam vinyl, I was actually collecting the "Denjin" large enemy vinyls that came out at superfest 2002??. Roger is the one that got me going on these. They are about a $80-$100 a pop and I've only managed to get my hands on 3 (one Gelgoog from Rog). They are some of the nicest vinyls I own. Over 10 inches tall as well..

Here are a couple zaku:

These guys (Denjin) also reissued a bunch of the Tigermask Nakajima? vinyls as well I think. If Roger even still reads this website he might chime in..

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2009 02:10AM by Erik Sjoen.
Attachments:
open | download - fjfjs028-img450x600-1255147686topxui73896.jpg (22.9 KB)
open | download - fjfjs028-img450x600-12551476876hbiry73896.jpg (21.3 KB)
open | download - fjfjs028-img600x450-1255147686v6znhi73896.jpg (25.9 KB)
Those pink kitchen gloves are just soooo wrong!
Sanjeev (Admin)
Man, I SO wanted those Denjin vinyls...just never got around to searching for 'em! :P
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
Sanjeev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Man, I SO wanted those Denjin vinyls...just never
> got around to searching for 'em! :P

Yeah, they are really, really nice... Check out my DOM!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2009 03:02PM by Erik Sjoen.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_0948.JPG (103.9 KB)
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
Keep in mind these are over 10 inches tall and heavy.
Stupid rubber robot goodness.

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
MattAlt (Admin)
I love that Denjin stuff, but they seem to have stopped making them. They're like Bullmark versions of Gundam characters...

[toyboxdx.com]

MattAlt (Admin)
More Denjin:

[www.mandarake.co.jp]

[wheelog.blog67.fc2.com]

They were only doing Zakus and Doms and Goufs Gelgoogs for a while, but more recently apparently started making "hero" robots too (Gundam, Guncannon, etc.)

They also made that groovy Desslar vinyl a few years back.

I wonder what their story is? Their stuff is super high quality so I wouldn't be surprised if they were backed by a bigger company.
Oh wow, these are big! I should track down a couple... they're like the 'missing link' between my Gundam shelf and vinyl monsters. And then they could fight :D

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Anonymous User
Wow - they are really nice. Just 'cartoony' enough.

Gouf's really packing under his skirt, there...
Anonymous User
Dredged up this old thread to add some info...

This has been mentioned in the past, but there are bootleg Denjin Gundam vinyls out there. I just picked up a cheap lot of "Banpresto prize toys"- which happened to have a bagged Denjin Gouf, and two Denjin Char Zaku IIs (bagged and loose). Yes, the fact that there were two of the same toy did set off a few alarms. Took a chance- the Gouf is legit (thank God), but the two Zakus are definitely fakes.

So here's what I can tell you about spotting bootleg Denjins:

- It seems like only the older sculpts have been bootlegged- so far we have seen the normal Zaku II and Char Zaku II.

- Bootlegs will have stickers for the mono-eye, rather than a painted eye.

- Bootlegs smell like a pile of melted crayons.

- Bootlegs will have noticeably less defined foot stamps (probably because they were made by recasting the originals).

- Bootlegs are sold in bags w/ headers that are virtually identical to the originals. The only difference I can find is that the licensor sticker is white, rather than silver.

- Bootlegs and originals have similar material finishes. This is owing to the fact that older Zakus do not seem to use the glossy vinyl seen in newer Denjin releases.

So, bad news- it is almost impossible to tell bootlegs apart from originals in auction photos. If you can see that the mono-eye circle goes beyond the black visor area, that might be an indicator. Good news is that the bootlegs seem to be limited to a small subset of the early Denjin releases. The vast majority of Denjins that I have seen on auction listings appear to be genuine articles.

I may add photos later.
Would definitely appreciate pics... my main questions are, do they still feel alright quality wise, and are they cheaper? I would love to get deep into this line, but they are pretty tough to find, and can be costly, so I would not necessarily be adverse to a cheaper substitute (because I suck).

[prometheusrising.net]
Anonymous User
The fake:

The quality is not bad; if I didn't know better, I'd say these were made by Banpresto. There is some definite slop on the paint compared to the original.

The imprint on the bottom of each foot is mushy. Particularly for the kanji.

If you can find the bootleg Denjins, they're probably cheaper. However, I think you would have better luck tracking down an original since they seem to be much more available these days. Let me know if you're looking for anything in particular.
So, I now own the above red bootleg Zaku, and I will echo Daniel's sentiments. If you are a purist looking to collect the Demjins, this will bug the hell out of you. If you aren't so picky and want a nice big, chunky, animation model vinyl Zaku, then this might be your ticket. The vinyl is very thick and heavy, and I can also confirm that it smells EXACTLY like melted crayons. The eye sticker is lame, though, but that's OK because I think this guy will look great under some paint.

Erik- I noticed in the older photo you posted above, that your red Zaku doesn't have en eye dot, much like mine currently does not because I took the sticker off. Might yours also be a boot?

[prometheusrising.net]
MattAlt (Admin)
No discussion of Denjin's Gundam sofubi would be complete without a discussion of Sakamoto Showten's very similar Votoms sofubi.

[sakashow.fc2web.com]

I am starting to regret not picking these up. All of them were WonderFest exclusives.
I hate you so much for posting that, because it hurts. I got the Zwerg, which awesome, with posable wrists and pop out arm cannons, but I haven't been able to track down any of the Dogs or Turtles.

[prometheusrising.net]
Anonymous User
SO wish I had picked some of these up when they were available.
MattAlt (Admin)
They're actually a little more fiddly than the Denjin stuff because the biceps/thighs are all individually molded, which makes them a little less stable. But they're great, and I'd love to see him try "applying the Bullmark filter" to other '80 series as well (Xabungle seems an obvious choice, but I'd love to see a Bullmark Valkyrie.)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Standard-sized "Bullmark filtered" Dougrams would make my head swim.
There's a couple of Brogs about the Sakamoto Showten VOTOMs vinyls.

Fatty:
[toyboxdx.com]

Red Shoulder Scopedog:
[toyboxdx.com]

--------------------------
I want YOU for MoƩ Sucks Army
Anonymous User
Is this guy still making stuff? Doesn't seem like it from his website.
MattAlt (Admin)
Denjin's back. This mash-up is pretty intense: a GM sofubi with simultaneous "Bullmark" and "Clover die cast" filters applied. Was released at last weekend's Chara-Hobby show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2012 10:45PM by MattAlt.
Attachments:
open | download - DenjinGM.jpg (34.9 KB)
Wow! That is totally cool!

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
MattAlt (Admin)
Makes me regret selling my old beat-up Clover die cast as I'd love to attempt a conversion like this!
I have a beater Clover DX Super Combo Gundam. Is that actually parts from the diecast mixed with a vinyl or something?

-Ginrai
MattAlt (Admin)
Nope, just a vinyl painted / stickered up in homage to the old Clover. (If you look behind the GM you can see the similar Gundam they released last year.)
Anonymous User
Maybe the photo is a little misleading in terms of scale, but these are about 9" tall. The GM from the last Chara Hobby is beautiful, but so expensive on the aftermarket.
Sanjeev (Admin)
It seems like there are multiple versions of the sculpts too, no? Like, I think I saw a GM with the gun and shield, and another version (same color palette) with empty fists.
Still really pretty!

-Ginrai
Sanjeev (Admin)
Hey, so I lucked out and scored a Denjin Zaku II in standard grunt-green recently. Same sculpt as the pink Char version Erik and Daniel (bootleg) posted above. Only problem is that he's clearly empty-handed...and thus defenseless against the Denjin Gundam I also recently scored from the recent Chara-Hobby show.

Gundam's got a shield and beam rifle...Zaku's got two things: jack and shit. And Jack left town. So if anyone's interested, I'm gonna CAD up a classic MMP-78 machine gun for him to hurl more than just insults back at the Gundam. Nothing terribly fancy...but it'll have a weird-looking handle designed to fit snugly into the sofubi's hand without warping (or scraping) the vinyl much. And I'll do my best to design it to be cheap to print from Shapeways.

If I'm feeling saucy, I may do a heat hawk for his other hand.

Anyway, PM me if interested.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer