GB-88 Godmarz Custom- Why?

Posted by Prometheum5 
Hi all,
I recently got back from college for the summer, and one of the pieces of loot awaiting me was a loose Godmarz, complete but for a couple of individual weapons. After checking the toy and the interwebs and Green Arrow Graffiti, I determined that mine was the GB-88 Godmarz Custom, fully transforming and combinable, but with some noticeable differences from the GB-68 Godmarz DX. I was wondering if there was any real reason as to why this toy (GB-88) exists? It lacks the firing fists on the individual robots of the GB-68, as well as the splitting legs of the individual leg guys, and the opening chest of Gaia, the smaller red guy. Instead, the Custom type has removable arms for everyone (leg guys included, leading to a slimmer profile), missile launchers in the chests of the leg guys, and different arm guy shoulder connectors than that of the GB-68. So I ask, is there any reason why a second DX Godmarz was developed, or was it simply to make more money off of having a second Godmarz gettai-able toy out on shelves? I noticed that the popular Godtron bootleg is the first version DX GB-68 and not the Custom 88.
Thanks for the help!

As an aside, I was wondering why there are two Goggle V ST-sized figures as well.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
MattAlt (Admin)
I think it was intended as a cheaper to manufacture "economy model" for the export market.
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
I'm going with Matt on the custom question. That thing sucks..

As to why are are two Goggle V STs I know not. But they are different designs. Design flaw possibly? One of the harder STs to get your hands on MIB that's for sure.
Hmm... that sounds pretty reasonable, considering I bought it from someone in the US who had bought it from the original owner, also in the US who had it as a child. Based on Erik's tactful :P response, I take it the Custom is considered inferior to the 68 DX? Aside from having to deal with the really loose shoulders, I'm pretty pleased with my score, altho the leg guys not having separating legs does make them a bit goofy looking on their own. Is the DX bigger than the Custom? I was talking to JoshB about it before, and he thought it was, but we could not decide.

Are there any other differences I haven't pointed out between the two? It looks like Sphinx (middle guy) has articulated elbows on the 68 DX version.

[prometheusrising.net]
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
DX is much larger. Spades a spade there sparky. There IS no comparing it to the DX..
Got a comparison shot anyone? GAG only has side by sides of Sphinx, both the same size. I'm curious just how much more toy you get with the DX, but pretty content with my purchase, considering I don't like GM enough to spend much more anyway.

Also, how does the shoulder connector actually work on the DX? On the Custom it's a hexagonal peg that fits into a slightly springy plastic connector in Sphinx's shoulder.

[prometheusrising.net]
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
It's been years since I've taken mine out, but I'm thinking the DX is 2-3 inches taller and 2X as heavy.

I couldn't tell, are you pleased with your score? ;)
>>I couldn't tell, are you pleased with your score? ;)

Haha, yeah... I'm having a good time fixing this one up. You can tell it was well loved as a child, but still taken pretty good care of. It looks great on my shelf now with my other vintage guys.

[prometheusrising.net]
MattAlt (Admin)
Are they different sizes? I thought they were about the same size, but with the Custom having a simplified transformation system (the individual robots aren't as complex) and less fine detail with paint/stickers.

Normal:
[robogeki.sakura.ne.jp]

Custom:
[blogs.yahoo.co.jp]
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
Yeah, the custom is at least 2 inches smaller. I'll bust them out tomorrow and take pics. It's a pretty dramatic difference.
Hope I can get'cher back here Unca E.

DX on the left. Custom on the right. Other gokins for comparison on a shelf.
Hope this helps Ben.

You'll also find that the CustomType only has a Popy logo, Japan, and GB-88 on the back of Sphinx, with just small characters(probably each name) of the individual limb bots. Whereas the DX has a seperate GB# and other info on EACH bot.
Most of the GB-88s will have the Taiwan markings on the box, with a Bandai logo.
The few Japanese boxed GB-88s have a Popy logo I believe on the box. Bot sets have "Japan" , and "NTV" on the back of Sphinx. Both legit I guess.
All the bots, including Sphinx are defenitely NOT the same size, complexity, heft, or anything. The Custom Type is actually a little smaller than even the Goggle V, and Sun Vulcan.

Still very cool though. Nice score!
Thanks for the pics John, I'd say they sort this right out. DX GM is alot bigger. I noticed tho that the shoulders on your DX are saggier than the Custom... is that typical for the DX in used condition? Nice to see where Goggle lines up with them as well, since I've got that coming soon... that Godsigma in the back haunts me tho :P

And yeah, I'm happy with my score! I'll have to make a brog post about how much I like my Godmarz, just to spite Erik.

[prometheusrising.net]
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
"And yeah, I'm happy with my score! I'll have to make a brog post about how much I like my Godmarz, just to spite Erik."

You'll get no complaints from me. Content is good. I have every single vintage incarnation of the God Mars character ever made so I really can't talk.. Having said figures I say with authority that the custom sucks ass but not as bad as the Pla DX (which most of you probably don't even know exists). Sucking isn't always a bad thing, as my favorite representation of GM IS the Pla DX next to the Jumbo of course .
Erik Sjoen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sucking isn't always a bad thing, as my
> favorite representation of GM IS the Pla DX next
> to the Jumbo of course .

Wait, I thought it would be the bop-bag?

I can't talk either, with getting that silly green plastic blister-card set of all six bots. Drugstore toy aisle trolling, baby!
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
BTW, thanks for throwing those shots up Jon.

"Wait, I thought it would be the bop-bag?"

Me too. As of now, I can't say that one exists. Fear not, I'm searching GM everyday without fail..
MattAlt (Admin)
silly green plastic blister-card set of all six bots

Pics!!!!

Are they like these old capsule toys (which I think were custom painted by the blogger)?
Too much digging for it now, ..but..like'a this'a one

[cgi.ebay.com]

This listing has been around 'n around forever. Sorry, Sorry *shivers*.
Don't bother killing me for live listing, I've got it...(falls on sword)
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
MattAlt (Admin)
Any toy with a translucent crotch is a winner in my book.
Funny thing. I was wondering about that Mighty Orbots toy that Bandai had developed for Mattel, because we all know it's got that God Mars thing going on, and I had a hard time believing that Bandai would carve up the tooling for the DX Godmars just for a deal with America (haw haw, tell that to the poor mangled Super Sentai toys from the last few years, right?) and then...

I can't help but think that THIS is what might have gotten modded to create the Mighty Orbots proto or short run or whatever ended up. It fits, it fits, the way the legs on the arm and leg robots work,it all fits.

No proof of course. Speculation. But it fits.
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
We saw a "Mighty Orbots" boot here in SF last Jan.. The elusive one.
Ooooff! A year and a half later, I have a few minutes on a weekend to shoot some more crappy pics, cuz somebody brought this back up again on R-J. I looked around, and realized GodMarz lacks documentation dagnabbit. ;0p
Mostly in the comparison of GB-68 to GB-88.
The gallery link is here if anyone cares to see way too many shots of these toys: [s543.photobucket.com]

Bad lighting, quickly done, but hope someone gets a kick out of it, or reference.
Some highlights:

MattAlt (Admin)
Thanks for the pics. This actually makes me want one!

Now we need a three-way (huh huh) shot featuring the DX, the Custom, and the ST!
Man, this post is so old! :P Looking at those pics, and thinking back on this toy, I do enjoy having a Godmars on the shelf, but the Custom just has too many separate parts to keep track of, and I never transform or play with it.

[prometheusrising.net]
Matt, I'd run over grannies (and so did you I bet!) to have the "mountain set" with lil' ST Marz! ...Or is that the PuraDera??
I forgot to put up a pic with the cool RealType little Marz. That would do, no?

Ben, the zipwock baggie is your fwiend grasshoppah. ;)

Oh you mean these parts?

CustomType does have redeeming aesthetic value, to a point. Yeah, yeah, I know, I goofed the switched legs.

Honestly, the Real Type is the God Mars I'd most like to own as well.

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Gorgeous photography, Jon. The kind of shots that make ya go, "*sigh*"!

They make me want a DX all over again! ;)
MattAlt (Admin)
The only problem with the Real Type is how tiny it is. I wish Bandai had released an SOC in those faded-out colors -- it might have been the first modern toy recolor I actually paid money for! The concept of trying to make a design as inherently wacky as GodMarz "real" cracks me up.
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
"Man, this post is so old! :P"

Surprisingly Roger didn't bring it back to life..
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
MattAlt Wrote:
> The only problem with the Real Type is how tiny it
> is. I wish Bandai had released an SOC in those
> faded-out colors -- it might have been the first
> modern toy recolor I actually paid money for! The
> concept of trying to make a design as inherently
> wacky as GodMarz "real" cracks me up.

Compliments of the Mark Solondz collection:

[toyboxdx.com]

Probably one of the most difficult chogokin to collect... This ANIME color "real type" is super duper hard to find MIB or even loose. Having searched Six God Combination Godmars for the last 8 years or so every single gosh darn day on YJP, I think I can say that with conviction. Thanks Mark for the OWN!!!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2010 07:39PM by Erik Sjoen.
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
PRE SOC bitches!!!
MattAlt (Admin)
Ha!! Should've known you'd own that.
Big E killing it as usual. The anime colors on that thing look so great. Shelf candy!
I'm glad I got to BRIEFLY see that things existence at Morphy's. Mark and Erik got up early and were all over that lot#. =0D

I'll have to add a pic w/ the regular, common peon, flat colored RealType. I got one in the box, which is inside a bag, with a header too. A common way to find them??
Sanjeev (Admin)
Erik Sjoen Wrote:
> Compliments of the Mark Solondz collection...

Hehe...remember Alen's phone call? Sunday morning, on the way to the airport, coming back from PA...

"Erik, we're fucked. Morphy's got Mark in his office, screaming at him. Cops on their way. Something about 'lot tampering' with that Real Type Godmarz???"
machinesoldier's crib to Morphy's = funnest drive EVAR.

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
"Erik, we're fucked. Morphy's got Mark in his office, screaming at him. Cops on their way. Something about 'lot tampering' with that Real Type Godmarz???"

That was the worst/best prank EVER!!!

This was on the front end of that project, when we were just brought in to ID/value the collection and these fucking guys played the best prank on me. I was seriously about to piss my pants. I'll let Sanjeev or Mark tell the story, as my memory is fuzzy due to the shock..... BUT, it was totally EPIC!

Continue....
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
"I'll have to add a pic w/ the regular, common peon, flat colored RealType. I got one in the box, which is inside a bag, with a header too. A common way to find them??"

DUDE! I totally love that one as well! To answer your question, no, not common at all...
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
MattAlt Wrote:
> Ha!! Should've known you'd own that.

It's the whole reason I went to Morphys... Aside from seeing you sweet cheeks. Muah!
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
Some SUPER rare Godmars sofubi for ya. Matt will back me up on this as he is the only other dude in the universe that cares, but that's the ONLY God Majin sofubi we have ever seen... Based on what I paid for it, I tend to believe that's true.

E

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2010 12:24PM by Erik Sjoen.
Attachments:
open | download - photo.JPG (138.3 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer