[MACROSS] The most horribly disgusting Strike Valkyrie ever....cleaned.

Posted by thomas 
So, I think I've found a worthy competitor for the septic tank Ogroid Acroray bought some time ago ([toyboxdx.com])...

Pics are from the Yahoo Auctions Japan auction.

Judging from the combination of caked on sand, dust, bird droppings (?), slightly sticky oil residue, and slight moisture damage, I guess it was stored in a not-so-well-built garage with no heating. Most of the yellowed parts are somewhat sticky, making me suspect that it may be baking oil stains...

Bizarely, the head lasers are intact. No joint wear either. It's too bad I'm missing the front half of one of the fast packs.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2009 02:00PM by thomas.
Attachments:
open | download - marukinkobutu-img600x450-1227334280szxbvg92138.jpg (18.7 KB)
open | download - marukinkobutu-img600x450-1227334280wsyyuv92138.jpg (26 KB)
open | download - marukinkobutu-img600x450-12273342812cx0wb92138.jpg (20.6 KB)
mcfitch (Admin)
Oh my god! Was that thing used for bad bad sex?
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
Perfect material to try out the anti-yellowing formula discussed on the Macrossworld board!
Anonymous User
thomas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So, I think I've found a worthy competitor for the
> septic tank Ogroid Acroray bought some time ago
>
> Judging from the combination of caked on sand,
> dust, bird droppings (?), slightly sticky oil
> residue, and slight moisture damage, I guess it
> was stored in a not-so-well-built garage with no
> heating. Most of the yellowed parts are somewhat
> sticky, making me suspect that it may be baking
> oil stains...

Sounds pretty bad! Lets compare!

Going along with this is the Transformers Whirl, you know, a light blue version of the Takatoku Gazette, and man, it was just covered in dry cat piss. No amount of washing could completely clean it.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
>Going along with this is the Transformers Whirl, you know, a light blue version of the Takatoku Gazette, and man, it was just covered in dry cat piss. No amount of washing could completely clean it.

That one's pretty stomach turning. It would have to be a pretty damn rare and/or expensive toy for me to want to deal with it after the kitty watersports session....
Yeah, I threw it away.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
So, finally got around to cleaning this up (completely taken apart, everything washed with soap and some serious scrubbing under running water). Also swapped a few minor parts with another wrecker Hikaru VF-1S I picked up. It turned out pretty well, although some parts are still quite yellow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2009 01:53PM by thomas.
Attachments:
open | download - strike_clean.jpg (91.4 KB)
open | download - strike_clean2.jpg (71.5 KB)
Anonymous User
Sweet! Candidate for Retr()brite?
I'm not sure that would work. I used one of them fancy scrubbing sponges for cleaning nasty stains off bathrooms, and more or less sanded off the top layer of plastic on most parts. Simply replacing the horribly yellowed arm is likely easier.
Anonymous User
The Retrobrite stuff supposedly removes or modifies the chemical in the plastic that creates the brown tone, replacing it with another material rather than eating away the upper colored surface (like caustic cleaners or 'magic sponges' do).
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
Thomas! You must do it. A before and after photo documentation for the BROG. I'm totally interested. I have a bin somewhere full of odd mecha shit that would be perfect for this stuff, including a strike and a couple L gaim pieces.
I might be able to do it, if I can source the various ingredients (I'm not sure about the laundry booster).

Anyone knows what it does to stickers and paint applications?

I am reading the retr0brite wiki right now and wincing at the lack of safety precautions of some stuff (I do a lot of lab work). Eg. if you use the formula requiring a magnetron, DON'T use said magnetron for food afterwards, despite what is said about safety on the page. Also, how do I dispose of the stuff? It's a pretty nasty chemical...

Ah, if I can source everything I'll try it on the wrecker VF-1S I have first (if it melts it's not a big loss)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2009 07:00AM by thomas.
Anonymous User
thomas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Anyone knows what it does to stickers and paint
> applications?
>

Supposedly nothing, as it only affects an element in the ABS chemical makeup, not paint or the inks in decals.

I plan on doing a Retrobrite treatment to my Takatoku giant Macross Storm Attacker at some point. I even bought a set of repro decals for it. Just need to get he stuff and have the time...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2009 11:28AM by AcroRay.
It does fade paint, and will peel stickers.

At least, that's what people tell me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer