[RUMBLE] R.I.P. Kimono..

Posted by Erik Sjoen 
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
Bah humbug!!

[toyboxdx.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2008 12:38AM by Erik Sjoen.
Hey all, as a tribute to KMH, I hijacked this thread with Erics blessing, to post up with any cool items you scored from the store over the years, w/ pics, and story, if you got'em.

Did Kimono My House have an item that started your Japanese toy collecting?
Did KMH have that *holy grail* item for you back in the day, or right now?
Was KMH there for you when nowhere else in the USA could an item be found?
huh?, Huh?, HUH? What did'ya get?
Bring back old score posts from this board to condense here too!

[s543.photobucket.com]

I've never been to the store in person, but one little odd item I got from KMH through the magic intraweb, and phone call, is the Takatoku totem gokin figure. Doesn't come up too often in the US. MIB, awsome goofiness, great price, glad to have it.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2009 12:26AM by repairtechjon.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_0541.JPG (73.7 KB)
open | download - IMG_0549.JPG (78.7 KB)
open | download - IMG_0548.JPG (77 KB)
As goodies for attendees of the first TBDX Summit in 1997, I ordered a case of 1/60 Scopedogs at the wholesale price (about $5 each), and totally fibbed to them about me being a retailer. I think Arion or Rory filled my order. I still have the receipt around somewhere.
Yeah Rog, isn't there a pic of those Scopedogs in the archive Summit section on CDX?

More stories! Bring it!
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
I worked there, so I've got a stories a plenty. But I did get these all the time:

"I've never been to the store in person, but one little odd item I got from KMH through the magic intraweb, and phone call, is the Takatoku totem gokin figure. Doesn't come up too often in the US. MIB, awsome goofiness, great price, glad to have it."

Mostly from Steve Agin trying to rip people off though. I've found so many personal gems there. My favorite has to be the Hatchan. I found it before all this internet crap and have loved it very much to this day. We had CASES of them... Still my little egg..

Also, some really cool T28 vinyl kit Yuki gave me. Ah, shit.. I have a bunch..
I bought some of my first toys from KMH. This was 96 or 97. I recall getting a large gakken ride armor for $75, a diaclone twin combat for $15, and a dual model Soltic for $25.
I ordered a bunch of stuff here and there over the years. They were also great for xmas and birthdays, my GF would call them and they would recommend cool stuff so it would be a suprise.
I had a business trip to SF back in 07, so I planned the trip around their store hours and did the suitcase inside a suitcase thing. And filled it.
I think I spent 3 or 4 hours in there chatting with Yuki and playing with toys.
I've been back a few times after that, each time he has some cool toy to show me. He never remembers me though.
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
"I've been back a few times after that, each time he has some cool toy to show me. He never remembers me though."

Remember when I took you over there last year and he gave us both those funky little Lensman blob enemy wind up thingies?? Totally odd. I bet some hardcore Lensman collector would give his left nut for one of those..

If I remember correctly you left with 4-5 large bags full of stuff.. ;)
Sanjeev (Admin)
My (and Mason's) first and, so far, only KMH experiences are documented here:
[toyboxdx.com]

Right after SDCC07, we headed to SF to hang out. Yuki was a fantastic host!

Of all the things we bought, this was my favorite...a Grendizer bean-bag toss game!

More coverage of that trip here (just scroll down past the bacon waffle): [www.collectiondx.com]

--
Sanjeev

'Us Massholes straight up just don't give a fuck. I still pronounce "Mazinger" as "Tranzor Z".'
-Nekrodave
Too many trips to count them all, but I do remember the time I was on a "spree". I had received some cash for a birthday or some other occasion. I went to Kimono with the intention of spending all of it. I was doing my math in my head as I accumulated a nice pile. When Yuki finished ringing the total, I realized I was short about ten bucks. He smiled at me as I was deciding which piece to either put back or swap out for something cheaper, and told me that I was all set. I argued that I did not want to short him, but he said that I could get it next time. Stuff like that is why his store will be missed so much!
Stacks of DX Gattai Gundam & Trider boxes. 25.00 each.
I just made my first trip there today because I'm in the area on business. I actually live in TN. It was neat to see the store I've read about all these years. I was a little taken aback by some of the prices, but did manage to pick up one of those Taito Harlock ships. Yuki was very nice, I'm glad I got to meet him and see the place before it closes.

As to the best thing I've gotten from Kimono, it would be one of the big Gakken Mospeadas.
Mid-90's, I picked up a couple of the Gatchaman II popinika's that I needed to complete my collection (I believe it was the G-2 Condor Attacker and G-4 Swallow-Helico). I also believe I bought Saizance (from Muteking) from there at one point.These were phone orders.

My sole visit (so far) to the store landed me good ol' Hacchan which is still one of my fave chogokins.
I only wish I'd had the chance...

More serious than thou
mcfitch (Admin)
As Sanjeev mentioned it was my first trip there in July 07. Below is a picture of the the pile I took home, but that doesn't really say a lot. What was great was how Yuki hung out with us for like at least 2 hours. It was Sanjeev, Hypermook, and I just hanging and talking toys for a long time. It really brought me back to my childhood memories of going to Mr. Big's Toyland, and that means a lot to me.

-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
This weekend will actually mark my first visit and purchase from KMH. Hears hoping there's a decent vinyl or two I can afford. I'd like to bring something back, but my focus is so narrow these days.

"There's no Bigfoot in The Awakening." -James Bickert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer